BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-20-2024, 05:56 PM   #23
Blister
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
I run P Zero Winters in some pretty horrible winter conditions and they are exceptional.
Second this. P zero winters and XDrive, nothing but good things to say.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2024, 06:10 PM   #24
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
I run P Zero Winters in some pretty horrible winter conditions and they are exceptional.
I also have P Zero Winters. They are great in the dry too and pretty quiet on the highway.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2024, 08:13 PM   #25
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojg View Post
UGG, road salt! You are bringing tears to my eyes. All I can think about is all the bare aluminum under the car oxidizing and looking like a 15 year old automatic transmission that came from the scrap yard.
Yeah… its been a year and ive been babying this car and kept it like a garage queen. My winter SUV was in the shop and I figured what the hell. It is after all a car and its meant to be driven and not kept like a museum show piece. I dont plan on keep this for more than 7 yrs and figured I might as well get the full experience. Plus was really curious to know how the DWS handled in these conditions. They r squeamish when cold but once they warmed up they have been great. Ill just a car wash tomorrow when the weather warms up a bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 08:46 AM   #26
M4ord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by / / / M3 View Post

I'm a bit sceptical of the claim that an ultra high performance all season tire like Michelin PS4 can be driven comfortably in six inches of snow. As the video below demonstrates (start watching at the 8:45 second mark), those tires are pretty useless even on compacted snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm6342C4CRo
Watching the RWD corvette struggle on these tires in snow makes me even more impressed with X-Drive. I will give credence to your skeptism and want to make sure I am not suggesting using this tire as a snow tire. I was just provding my experience on a short trip that I took, just because I have G83 and the PS4 AS. I was trying to recreate the marketing of the convertible M4 sliding in the snow, which rarely happens here...lol. Be safe everyone.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 11:00 AM   #27
Autoaddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Sportwagon, G80

The downside of winter driving is all the salt and chemicals they dump on the road. Just make sure you get it PPF’d and ceramic coated. Ceramic coating for ease of cleaning during winter months. And no that doesn’t mean taking it to a car wash.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bri10425937.00
      01-21-2024, 11:24 AM   #28
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoaddict View Post
The downside of winter driving is all the salt and chemicals they dump on the road. Just make sure you get it PPF’d and ceramic coated. Ceramic coating for ease of cleaning during winter months. And no that doesn’t mean taking it to a car wash.
I hope you are ppf’ing and ceramic coating exposed steel parts on the underside of the car. Road salt and other “chemicals” are harmless to the clear coat that covers the exterior body panels.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 11:42 AM   #29
pateke
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cx ('24), X3 30e ('22)

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2021 BMW M440i  [10.00]
Living in Sweden, with minus 20 degrees Celsius at the moment and lots of snow. Had my drivers licens for about two years, so very inexperienced. No issues at all with M4cx on Michelin PA5. I’ll just make sure to drive in a calm manner and have some respect for the snow and ice.

I tried the 4WD/2WD with all settings possible when it comes to traction control etc. on an empty parking lot with lots of snow. I’m really glad for the 4WD and traction control! Works great!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Aalfred2607.00
BuckysBMW171.50
bri10425937.00
      01-21-2024, 12:07 PM   #30
Autoaddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Sportwagon, G80

Quote:
I hope you are ppf’ing and ceramic coating exposed steel parts on the underside of the car. Road salt and other “chemicals” are harmless to the clear coat that covers the exterior body panels.
Sorry, good point.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 02:40 PM   #31
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
Yeah… its been a year and ive been babying this car and kept it like a garage queen. My winter SUV was in the shop and I figured what the hell. It is after all a car and its meant to be driven and not kept like a museum show piece. I dont plan on keep this for more than 7 yrs and figured I might as well get the full experience. Plus was really curious to know how the DWS handled in these conditions. They r squeamish when cold but once they warmed up they have been great. Ill just a car wash tomorrow when the weather warms up a bit.
It would be nice to find a car wash that would wash the undercarriage. I would love to drive my car in the snow - minus the salt and gravel.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2024, 04:32 PM   #32
Evinrude1975
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CS '24

I tried to drive few miles with my car in Chicagoland… never ever
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 06:25 PM   #33
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

Quote:
Depends on the kind of winter tires. Performance winter tires likes Pirelli P Zero Winter and Michelin PA5 are designed for the type of conditions you are describing (dry most but not all of the time).

I'm a bit sceptical of the claim that an ultra high performance all season tire like Michelin PS4 can be driven comfortably in six inches of snow. As the video below demonstrates (start watching at the 8:45 second mark), those tires are pretty useless even on compacted snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm6342C4CRo
I mean I see the video, but I daily drive this car and have 0 issues. Yes, you have to adjust your driving style but it’s 110% possible. If you still accelerate and decelerate like you would on dry pavement you will have issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 09:40 AM   #34
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

This weekend friend insisted on showing us how great his G82X was in the snow. Having driven all my life in deep northwest US snow, learning in two wheel drive manual trucks with all-seasons and lots of sand bags in back, and since owning AWD with dedicated winters, I knew where this was going. Hopped in my old Toyota SUV with winters, put on clothing cuz I knew some sweatin' was in store, and made sure the shovel was in back!

The picture doesn't show how steep AND off camber our friend's driveway was. Crusty top hiding sheets of ice lined with boulders, pine trees and sprinkler heads.

He has oem-sized all-seasons with good tread remaining, proper psi and knew how to work the different traction modes, but as many of us know, ICE don't care! Obviously the oem-sized tires had difficulty clawing down to grab traction on the hardpack snowy parts; floated then slid. He was shouting "is my all wheel drive broken, I think it broke". I couldn't stop laughing. He's a former Audi SQ5 driver and shrieked "I'm going back to Quattro!"

Two hours of digging. Nice warmish day, snacks and drinks. I had nowhere to be. Shovel time!

I started to explain how different wheel and tire sizes, and compounds, would help his winter driving, but sometimes it's best to let friends learn on their own otherwise I'd be blamed for steering him toward the wrong tires. We left his car at friends to avoid an out of control BMW taboggan, and came back next day to clear out ice patches and expose sand/dirt/gravel which was a good idea because the car crept downward and slid a few feet on the off camber sections before grabbing traction. Hindsight tells us the car would've slid out of control the day prior.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bri10425937.00
      01-22-2024, 09:48 AM   #35
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude1975 View Post
how so? I live in the city and drive year round. I chose not to get the M HAS suspension given that they've installed some extreme speed humps in my neighborhood (so huge that I have to slow down on my bike).

there's a local BP with a touchfree car wash that has an underbody spray. The wash itself is a waste of money otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 09:53 AM   #36
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
He has oem-sized all-seasons with good tread remaining, proper psi and knew how to work the different traction modes, but as many of us know, ICE don't care! Obviously the oem-sized tires had difficulty clawing down to grab traction on the hardpack snowy parts; floated then slid. He was shouting "is my all wheel drive broken, I think it broke". I couldn't stop laughing. He's a former Audi SQ5 driver and shrieked "I'm going back to Quattro!"
The depth of snow in the pic is pretty much at the limits of ground clearance with the G8x. Even if you had studded tires, it wouldn't help that much, I would think.

A few years ago, I was shoveling snow off my roof and into the alley below. Before I could go re-shovel the snow out of the alley, a big F-150 tried to drive through the long deep pile, and I watched in amusement as it drove up the ramp of snow, bottoming out! It was able to back up and go a different way, but even a big truck with snow tires can get stuck if there isn't enough clearance.
Appreciate 1
YamaLink425.00
      01-22-2024, 10:06 AM   #37
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
I drove a manual F80 M3 for years living in the city with no issues when switching to Blizzaks for the winter...the car did great and was super fun! Assuming clearance the proper tires are 99% of it. If you are out in performance tires with snow you are risking life.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 10:22 AM   #38
mdr955
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4

Besides ground clearance which only matters a few times a year at the most in New England this car is as good as any in the snow with the right tires.
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2024, 11:22 AM   #39
Evinrude1975
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CS '24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks23 View Post
I drove a manual F80 M3 for years living in the city with no issues when switching to Blizzaks for the winter...the car did great and was super fun! Assuming clearance the proper tires are 99% of it. If you are out in performance tires with snow you are risking life.
Mine is a CS. It’s not safe
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 12:02 PM   #40
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
Mine is a CS. It’s not safe
Do you have winters on it?!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 12:42 PM   #41
harperium
Major
Rep

The other major aspect here is OTHER DRIVERS. If the roads are bad, it's better just to stay home b/c the last think you want is for some dude with crappy tires to t-bone you...
Appreciate 2
Joachim328.00
kjx3197.00
      01-22-2024, 12:58 PM   #42
Lupeskew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW M4 G83 IOMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojg View Post
It would be nice to find a car wash that would wash the undercarriage. I would love to drive my car in the snow - minus the salt and gravel.
These work really good on your pressure washer. Just stay below 2000 psi
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  59.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 01:43 PM   #43
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupeskew View Post
These work really good on your pressure washer. Just stay below 2000 psi
Attachment 3370513
Why under 2000 psi? Does it want to lift the car?????

Seriously though I always thought the multiple nozzles might lower the pressure too much.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 01:57 PM   #44
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was at work once when we got 1 ½ feet of snow, The main road was plowed but the parting lot wasn't. I had my Subaru Outback and all I needed to do was to make it out to the road (a couple hundred feet). I moved about 10 feet and then couldn't move forward any more so I got out of the car and kicked the snow away that was piled in front of the car with my feet. Made it another 10 feet. Repeated that several times and made it out to the road. The other people in the parking lot sitting in their cars waiting for the lot to be plowed just looked at me in amazement.

It was snowing so hard that before long the snow on the road was deeper than my ground clearance. I swore about a hundred times after that before I got home as someone would pull out in front of me and go 1 mile an hour or come to a complete stop for no reason. As long as I maintained momentum I was fine.

The M cars have lots of weight and as long as you don't exceed the ground clearance with snow and have good winter tires it should be as good as any other AWD vehicle.
Appreciate 0