BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-08-2024, 06:54 AM   #23
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by meechy6ix0 View Post
Just dropped the rental M4 Comp back off. It wasn’t an xdrive, but that wasn’t what I was looking to test anyways. So I’m going to stick with a manual. It just wasn’t engaging enough from stoplight to stoplight. Car is definitely faster and more composed even despite the higher capabilities. But I just didn’t have anything to do outside of the twisties. It made 90% of the drives purely about the destination rather than the drive. With a manual, every drive feels more like an occasion.
That's how I've felt about it as my 3 year lease comes to an end on my MT. But, I've been hit with an unexpected bit of curiosity as I sit here with my buy-out documents and my checkbook. I've been entirely positive that I want to keep my current car for a long while and all of a sudden I found myself wondering if I should experience the AWD auto for a while. I've looked at a couple of used AWD M4's in the area over the last couple of days (remotely, I haven't gone into the dealership) and found myself pondering the financial impact of trading my car for one of them.

My gut feeling is that it would be amusing for a while but then I'd end up having to trade again to get back to the 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 11:45 AM   #24
meechy6ix0
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
That's how I've felt about it as my 3 year lease comes to an end on my MT. But, I've been hit with an unexpected bit of curiosity as I sit here with my buy-out documents and my checkbook. I've been entirely positive that I want to keep my current car for a long while and all of a sudden I found myself wondering if I should experience the AWD auto for a while. I've looked at a couple of used AWD M4's in the area over the last couple of days (remotely, I haven't gone into the dealership) and found myself pondering the financial impact of trading my car for one of them.

My gut feeling is that it would be amusing for a while but then I'd end up having to trade again to get back to the 6MT.
Why not rent one for a couple of days like I did?

I had that curiosity too, and I really didn’t want to have any what-ifs. I felt the only way to feel confident about it was to actually spend time with the different cars. Otherwise, I was always going to wonder.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6599.00
      01-08-2024, 01:42 PM   #25
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcampo View Post
100% manual. No matter how good a automatic/DCT/PDK is, after a short while we all end up leaving it in D.
There have been 3 non-manual sports cars/coupes I've owned that were not manual;

1. e92 m3 (dct)
2. 991.2 Carrera T (pdk)
3. G80 M3 xdrive (zf8)

I hardly ever use the auto function so it's not all of us
Appreciate 2
natmad667.00
Hit_Apex2370.50
      01-08-2024, 02:03 PM   #26
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Why not rent one for a couple of days like I did?

I had that curiosity too, and I really didn’t want to have any what-ifs. I felt the only way to feel confident about it was to actually spend time with the different cars. Otherwise, I was always going to wonder.
Its crossed my mind, but I don't necessarily think that even a few days is enough to really know a car. For myself, I peg it at about a year of ownership so that I can drive it through all 4 seasons. Looking back to the misty past of the last half of the 80's until now, that time-frame holds consistent across all the cars I've owned (not counting the junkers that died within a few months of being purchased with my last $400 during high school and college).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 02:27 PM   #27
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

I didn’t intend to offend any fans of automatics. I’ve owned a few including a 991.1 S. Many would say the PDK is the best automatic on the market. A brilliant transmission and my 991 was a great car. It was fun to drive and liked the flappy paddles, but at the end of the day it just wasn’t engaging enough for me. Nothing better for a red light monster than launch contol in a auto.

For me, I ended up keeping it in D most of the time and just got board. Are they faster, 100%. But in the long run, I know it’s not for me. My dream car would be a 991.2 GT3 Touring manual.
      01-08-2024, 06:12 PM   #28
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcampo View Post
I didn’t intend to offend any fans of automatics. I’ve owned a few including a 991.1 S. Many would say the PDK is the best automatic on the market. A brilliant transmission and my 991 was a great car. It was fun to drive and liked the flappy paddles, but at the end of the day it just wasn’t engaging enough for me. Nothing better for a red light monster than launch contol in a auto.

For me, I ended up keeping it in D most of the time and just got board. Are they faster, 100%. But in the long run, I know it’s not for me. My dream car would be a 991.2 GT3 Touring manual.
I like your thinking on the latter. My weekend car is a 991.1S, manual, PCCB, paint to sample (nearly a 150K msrp in 2013 so it has plenty of options) and that car definitely is an occasion to drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 06:28 PM   #29
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

bmw really gimped the manual with the reduced engine power. so underpowered and anemic, but a tune really wakes it up

2011 E90 335i xDrive
1996 E36 318i
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 06:37 PM   #30
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Two questions first…
1) do you have bad stop-and-go traffic that would have you clutching too much?
2) do you need to be the fastest?

If you answered yes to both then you want the AT. In all other situations I’d have the manual.

MT6 has that “feeling” that connects me to my car. 3 Pedals for the love of driving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
You forgot #3.... im too old and lazy to shift gears anymore 🤣

Ditto. Ditto.

And I still have a Porsche for my MT fix.
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3513.00
      01-08-2024, 06:54 PM   #31
meechy6ix0
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Its crossed my mind, but I don't necessarily think that even a few days is enough to really know a car. For myself, I peg it at about a year of ownership so that I can drive it through all 4 seasons. Looking back to the misty past of the last half of the 80's until now, that time-frame holds consistent across all the cars I've owned (not counting the junkers that died within a few months of being purchased with my last $400 during high school and college).
That’s understandable. For me the difference with the cars outside of the transmission wasn’t too important. I’ve never owned a AT sports car so I just wanted see if I would even enjoy having an AT. I could probably use more time, but don’t want to spend that much.
Appreciate 1
bri10425940.00
      01-08-2024, 07:24 PM   #32
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR_///M3 View Post
Let me preface this by saying I am not expressing a preference either way as I like driving MT and AT - they give different experiences and similar enjoyment.
I do like your last point
On the purely technical front, however, the more gears you have (although somewhat dependent on overall ratio spread) the greater the area under the wheel torque vs. road speed plot and that will translate into better acceleration performance.
A DCT or appropriately calibrated AT will have ‘no torque-break’ shifts. This is impossible with a MT (although clutchless shifts can get close at the expense of gearbox durability). With no torque-break the vehicle will not be unsettled whereas an MT shift will definitely unsettle the car to some degree due to a longitudinal weight transfer.
But this is where opinions differ. The 20% of g8x buyers who chose the manual don’t get the same enjoyment from an auto as they do from a manual.
Appreciate 2
TJR_///M3640.00
2011ninja3396.00
      01-08-2024, 07:26 PM   #33
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Quote:
Just dropped the rental M4 Comp back off. It wasn’t an xdrive, but that wasn’t what I was looking to test anyways. So I’m going to stick with a manual. It just wasn’t engaging enough from stoplight to stoplight. Car is definitely faster and more composed even despite the higher capabilities. But I just didn’t have anything to do outside of the twisties. It made 90% of the drives purely about the destination rather than the drive. With a manual, every drive feels more like an occasion.

CF roof and buckets….
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 02:55 AM   #34
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

I definitely realized something reading through this thread. For me I realize it’s not as simple as MT vs AT. The experience of both have to be good. To give an example, I’d choose my Veloster DCT over a BMW MT any day. But I’ll choose my S2000 MT over a BMW ZF8 hands down.

Basically I’ll usually choose manual, but only if the manual in that car is good. It’s not enough that it’s a manual, it has to be a good manual, and for me the two that are my golden standard are Porsche and the S2000. However I also generally have a rule that if the car has over 350hp, I’ll choose the auto option unless it’s a naturally aspirated engine. My experience in the past has been that it’s hard for me to enjoy the car when the car is so torquey and powerful that just driving it slow is a bit of a chore (f87c).

I will end on the note though that given the choice in a GT3, I’d choose the PDK. That’s honestly the only exception. My GT4 was also a PDK and personally I’ve never felt more engaged with a car in my life. Didn’t think it would be possible with an auto but personally for me it literally felt like a manual without a clutch pedal.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 03:22 AM   #35
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
I will end on the note though that given the choice in a GT3, I’d choose the PDK. That’s honestly the only exception. My GT4 was also a PDK and personally I’ve never felt more engaged with a car in my life. Didn’t think it would be possible with an auto but personally for me it literally felt like a manual without a clutch pedal.
Having spent the day with a GT4 manual, I was disappointed. The car is incredible, but second gear is so long that you can basically leave it in second and cruise through the twisties.

G80 manual was great fun, frankly it was what got me looking at G8x cars to begin with!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
bri10425940.00
tju213.50
      01-09-2024, 12:31 PM   #36
TJR_///M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C 2021 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
But this is where opinions differ. The 20% of g8x buyers who chose the manual don’t get the same enjoyment from an auto as they do from a manual.
I get your point and agree with it.
I wasn’t suggesting my position would apply to everyone and you are right, those who choose a MT G8X have a clear preference.
What I probably should have said is that I can drive MT cars or AT/DCT cars (not necessarily in the same car and not specifically G8X’s) and get similar levels of enjoyment. Others might never enjoy a AT/DCT car!
      01-09-2024, 01:44 PM   #37
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Having spent the day with a GT4 manual, I was disappointed. The car is incredible, but second gear is so long that you can basically leave it in second and cruise through the twisties.

G80 manual was great fun, frankly it was what got me looking at G8x cars to begin with!
Here’s an interesting thought. I wonder if driving a MT in a RHD car actually gives a different experience.

Hear me out. In a RHD car you are using your left hand to shift. For most people that’s not your dominant hand. Due to that, there might be slightly more “effort” involved. Obv if you’ve driven like that your whole life it’s natural, however I wonder if it’s kinda like writing with your left hand when you’re a right handed person. It’s harder and in a way more interesting at first but with enough practice it can become natural.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2024, 01:50 PM   #38
Vernmeister
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru wrx - M3 awaiting produ

Quote:
Here’s an interesting thought. I wonder if driving a MT in a RHD car actually gives a different experience.

Hear me out. In a RHD car you are using your left hand to shift. For most people that’s not your dominant hand. Due to that, there might be slightly more “effort” involved. Obv if you’ve driven like that your whole life it’s natural, however I wonder if it’s kinda like writing with your left hand when you’re a right handed person. It’s harder and in a way more interesting at first but with enough practice it can become natural.
I can’t imagine shifting with my left(non dominant hand) but obviously I’ve grown up shifting with my right.

Sounds more challenging to me
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 01:55 PM   #39
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:

I’ve driven LHD manual plenty of times, didn’t feel any difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 01:21 AM   #40
SoCalBimmerGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Individual

Quote:
I’m looking to order a new G8x. I’ve had two MT G8x cars, and an curious about the AT. Those who have had both or substantial seat time in both, any thoughts on your experiences?
First choice G80 M3 6MT xdrive….sadly doesn’t exist lol

First real choice G80 M3 6MT

Second choice G80 M3 Comp xDrive

I had a hard time deciding what made me go with the manual was it is going to be the very last M3 with an available manual transmission.

Hope that helps….food luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 01:26 AM   #41
meechy6ix0
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBimmerGuy View Post
First choice G80 M3 6MT xdrive….sadly doesn’t exist lol

First real choice G80 M3 6MT

Second choice G80 M3 Comp xDrive

I had a hard time deciding what made me go with the manual was it is going to be the very last M3 with an available manual transmission.

Hope that helps….food luck!
That’s what I’m leaning towards to. The auto is very, very good and seems to take advantage of the car’s capabilities much more. But I just have so much fun with a manual.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3396.00
      01-15-2024, 04:35 AM   #42
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernmeister View Post
I can’t imagine shifting with my left(non dominant hand) but obviously I’ve grown up shifting with my right.

Sounds more challenging to me
You get used to it quickly and becomes natural. It’s more challenging getting used to other countries signage and drivers. Italians are not the same as Danish for instance or americans.

Long ago in san jose after a 12hr flight I suddenly realised that the traffic lights were on the other side of the junction from the UK!
Appreciate 2
bri10425940.00
      01-16-2024, 11:20 AM   #43
spaceage
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X6MC, 22 M3, 01 Z3 3.0

Quote:

Lived in the UK for 2 years and drove a manual the whole time. RHD manual is more natural IMO because you now have your dominant hand steering. Shifting is secondary to steering.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 06:59 PM   #44
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 04 Rx8, 22 M3P, 23 m3

Manual owner here. The X drive is the better car in every way.

The manual transmission in a M3 is on the endangered list. The way I see it is take advantage while the choice is there. As a manual car it holds up well. I’m usually shopping for the next 6-12 months. 20k miles in a year and I’d order another manual with slightly different options.
Appreciate 1
Jim B1895.00