BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-21-2021, 07:28 PM   #1
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
G8x driving nannies?

Do the G8x have any idiot "assist" things like lane departure, auto-brake, etc. that seems to infest every recent rental I've had? I find these things dangerous and deceptive and think they make you a worse driver, not a safer one, and I'm tiring of having to turn them off every time I start the car in most cases.

I hate them all. But given that we don't train young people how to drive defensively and safely anymore, at least in the US, I guess it was inevitable.
      04-21-2021, 07:30 PM   #2
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Badger View Post
Do the G8x have any idiot "assist" things like lane departure, auto-brake, etc. that seems to infest every recent rental I've had? I find these things dangerous and deceptive and think they make you a worse driver, not a safer one, and I'm tiring of having to turn them off every time I start the car in most cases.

I hate them all. But given that we don't train young people how to drive defensively and safely anymore, at least in the US, I guess it was inevitable.
Get a real "old man yells at cloud" vibe here. Gosh darn millennials ruining the world - even though they weren't the ones designing and implementing the safety systems you hate.

To answer your question though, you can turn all that stuff off if you want. Just put it in track mode and it all goes away.
Appreciate 2
Jmpascual687.50
golovko379.00
      04-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Quote:

Not sure about other auto-makers but I have found the BMW (in more recent models) assist systems to be quite good. I have yet to have any interventions kick in yet but then again I don't tailgate or change lanes without a turn signal

I have tried some of the active cruise control assists like lane keep, lane change, adaptive cruise control and it was quite fun to experience although not something I'd use except on long road trips.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 10:46 AM   #4
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

The G8x has the same lane assist nannies as every other BMW. You can disable them but I believe they turn on every time you start the car. I put it in the reduced setting and it's not that bothersome on the daily commute.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
The G8x has the same lane assist nannies as every other BMW. You can disable them but I believe they turn on every time you start the car. I put it in the reduced setting and it's not that bothersome on the daily commute.
You can disable the lane change thingy, that is dangerous if you don't use the signal. It literally pulls the car back in the lane lol. As a result, I disable it on my G20 and only keep the BSM active.
      04-22-2021, 11:18 AM   #6
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
You can disable the lane change thingy, that is dangerous if you don't use the signal. It literally pulls the car back in the lane lol. As a result, I disable it on my G20 and only keep the BSM active.
It does give you the option to disable steering intervention but keep the nanny to vibrate the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:23 AM   #7
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
Not sure about other auto-makers but I have found the BMW (in more recent models) assist systems to be quite good. I have yet to have any interventions kick in yet but then again I don't tailgate or change lanes without a turn signal

I have tried some of the active cruise control assists like lane keep, lane change, adaptive cruise control and it was quite fun to experience although not something I'd use except on long road trips.
I do like active/adaptive cruise control esp. in traffic, but the rest can go get in the sea. Driving requires active engagement.

BTW I'm not blaming young people for these things, I'm blaming the US public education system for almost universally dropping driver's ed, and insurance companies who think these things reduce crashes. I haven't kept up on the latest NHTSA requirements so I don't know if any of these are mandated in the US.
      04-26-2021, 10:50 AM   #8
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do like active/adaptive cruise control esp. in traffic, but the rest can go get in the sea. Driving requires active engagement.

BTW I'm not blaming young people for these things, I'm blaming the US public education system for almost universally dropping driver's ed, and insurance companies who think these things reduce crashes. I haven't kept up on the latest NHTSA requirements so I don't know if any of these are mandated in the US.
I think this is less NHTSA mandated safety features and more one toe forward towards the future of autonomous driving vehicles. Others like Tesla have taken a much bigger leap forward. It is inevitable just like EV. We may not like it but it is where we're going.

As far as NHTSA we still don't have approval for adaptive headlights/laser lights. I don't think they're capable of thinking about mandating any sort of crash avoidance automation yet
Appreciate 0