11-12-2021, 12:48 PM   #507
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Chrome delete on the gf's Q50. F'n Infiniti....so much freaking chrome on her car. Ugh.
Are you painting it or wrapping? I hear a lot of folks using Plastidip.

Been considering the same on my wife's truck to clean things up.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 12:57 PM   #508
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Rockabillaque this weekend! Nothing like hot rods, live music, and loads of beer!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 01:01 PM   #509
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Are you painting it or wrapping? I hear a lot of folks using Plastidip.

Been considering the same on my wife's truck to clean things up.
I'm using vinyl. Plastidip is garbage. It's effective, but it's hit or miss. I tried dipping my window trim on the E93 with plastidip twice. It never lasted more than 2 days. I've used it on certain applications and it worked fine, then used for other stuff and it was a waste of time. It's great for badges. There are some items that will have to be painted due to raised lettering and uneven surfaces. We will be using Plastidip on badges and emblems. The only area that I plan to skimp on is her door handles. I DO NOT want to take off all 4 inside door panels to wrap a section 1" X 4". The handles will get wrapped on the car and trimmed out.

We did the front of her car 2 weeks ago. Pulled the bumper, tinted the headlights, fogs, indicators and wrapped anything that was chrome. Lot's of work, but so worth it. Car/garage time is exactly what cold winter-ish days are for. Photo quality is shit for some reason. Her trim is now matte black. I wanted to go gloss, but it's her car so we went matte. It actually looks much better, in person, than I thought it would. Gives a nice contract against the body.
Attached Images

Last edited by King Rudi; 11-12-2021 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 3
upstatedoc7563.50
Tommy-G4490.50
      11-12-2021, 01:20 PM   #510
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

My middle boy turns 13 tomorrow. At last count he wanted six friends over.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      11-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #511
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
My middle boy turns 13 tomorrow. At last count he wanted six friends over.
Oof. Wanna come hang out in the garage? Let me rephrase. Doc, you'll want to come hang out in my garage. Lots of stuff going on in there you would approve of.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7563.50
      11-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #512
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm using vinyl. Plastidip is garbage. It's effective, but it's hit or miss. I tried dipping my window trim on the E93 with plastidip twice. It never lasted more than 2 days. I've used it on certain applications and it worked fine, then used for other stuff and it was a waste of time. It's great for badges. There are some items that will have to be painted due to raised lettering and uneven surfaces. We will be using Plastidip on badges and emblems. The only area that I plan to skimp on is her door handles. I DO NOT want to take off all 4 inside door panels to wrap a section 1" X 4". The handles will get wrapped on the car and trimmed out.

We did the front of her car 2 weeks ago. Pulled the bumper, tinted the headlights, fogs, indicators and wrapped anything that was chrome. Lot's of work, but so worth it. Car/garage time is exactly what cold winter-ish days are for. Photo quality is shit for some reason. Her trim is now matte black. I wanted to go gloss, but it's her car so we went matte. It actually looks much better, in person, than I thought it would. Gives a nice contract against the body.
Dig it. Counting everything that needs to be done for me is 24 pieces

(6) window belt moldings
(4) lower door moldings
(4) fog light surrounds
(4) tail light trim pieces
(2) headlamp wings
(1) grille (and she's a big one)
(1) manufacturer emblem
(1) vehicle logo on the back
(1) V8 emblem

There's also another manufacturer logo on the front, but I can't change it because it is actually a RADAR sensor. While trick, I can't color match.

I got a hefty quote to remove all 24 pieces, prep, prime, paint, clear, and reinstall. But considering the work, it may not be a bad deal after all. I'm worried if I go through the effort to do it on my own to wrap that I'll be wishing I painted it when it may peel or something.

Definitely post up the results when complete. Looks like it will be sweet!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      11-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #513
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Dig it. Counting everything that needs to be done for me is 24 pieces

(6) window belt moldings
(4) lower door moldings
(4) fog light surrounds
(4) tail light trim pieces
(2) headlamp wings
(1) grille (and she's a big one)
(1) manufacturer emblem
(1) vehicle logo on the back
(1) V8 emblem

There's also another manufacturer logo on the front, but I can't change it because it is actually a RADAR sensor. While trick, I can't color match.

I got a hefty quote to remove all 24 pieces, prep, prime, paint, clear, and reinstall. But considering the work, it may not be a bad deal after all. I'm worried if I go through the effort to do it on my own to wrap that I'll be wishing I painted it when it may peel or something.

Definitely post up the results when complete. Looks like it will be sweet!
What's the car you're doing this on? Mind if I ask how much the quote was for? For paint, I imagine it's quite hefty. There are pro's and con's to whatever method you choose. The only perfect solution is to buy the car with the trim the way you want it, but that's not always possible. Remember if you paint it, you can scratch it. This spring it will be 3 years that I wrapped my roof, trim, grille and all sorts of other shit. Still looks great and isn't peeling at all. Take it and get a quote from a vinyl installer. Still expensive imo, but most likely cheaper than paint.

You could always try to do it yourself and save the money. Window trim is a project that's great to learn how to work with vinyl. The sections are small and straight. Check out some videos on Youtube of CK Wraps. It's not hard to do and will save you some money. Heat gun, some basic wrap tools and vinyl is all you need.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2021, 02:11 PM   #514
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Celebrating my 40th tomorrow, so going to crack open a nice bottle of wine (Caymus) that I've never tried, but received as a gift from one of my clients (and since I'm too cheap to buy it at $110/bottle, its probably the only way I would have ever tried it, so I'm grateful to them).

That, and I've requested at least a 2 inch thick ribeye from the butcher with this fantastic marinade my wife has, plus twice baked potatoes and Caesar salad. Starter is going to be baked brie with a carmelized onion and maple jam on top and some home made jalapeno poppers. I'm salivating already.

Going out for some eggs benny for breakfast somewhere that my wife picked tomorrow as well, then might go for a hike with the family or just take myself to the gun range if I'm feeling like some me time. Don't know yet.

I personally don't care about turning 40, but if I can milk this for all its worth....
Appreciate 6
King Rudi13154.00
upstatedoc7563.50
Esteban43787.00
rebekahb3132.50
Mein11422.00
      11-12-2021, 02:15 PM   #515
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

This weekend is looking like:
Dinner out tonight with the wifey
Stone Crab festival tomorrow
Sunday ????????????
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #516
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What's the car you're doing this on? Mind if I ask how much the quote was for? For paint, I imagine it's quite hefty. There are pro's and con's to whatever method you choose. The only perfect solution is to buy the car with the trim the way you want it, but that's not always possible. Remember if you paint it, you can scratch it. This spring it will be 3 years that I wrapped my roof, trim, grille and all sorts of other shit. Still looks great and isn't peeling at all. Take it and get a quote from a vinyl installer. Still expensive imo, but most likely cheaper than paint.

You could always try to do it yourself and save the money. Window trim is a project that's great to learn how to work with vinyl. The sections are small and straight. Check out some videos on Youtube of CK Wraps. It's not hard to do and will save you some money. Heat gun, some basic wrap tools and vinyl is all you need.
It was $2250 for all I listed on a newer Land Cruiser. It's a black truck with all of those items listed in chrome. Just not a fan. Would prefer color matched (which has metallic and all in it, too). So all in, the price doesn't seem bad. But I'm convinced I can deal with chrome at the price even still

I've also got an older Land Cruiser that's a toy. Paint is decent, but some fading over the years. I've heard of guys getting full wraps done for about $3k. So if that's indicative of pricing (full vehicle wrap @ $3k vs a few trim pieces painted at 75% the cost), maybe I ought to look into wrapping the trim!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      11-12-2021, 02:59 PM   #517
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Celebrating my 40th tomorrow, so going to crack open a nice bottle of wine (Caymus) that I've never tried, but received as a gift from one of my clients (and since I'm too cheap to buy it at $110/bottle, its probably the only way I would have ever tried it, so I'm grateful to them).

That, and I've requested at least a 2 inch thick ribeye from the butcher with this fantastic marinade my wife has, plus twice baked potatoes and Caesar salad. Starter is going to be baked brie with a carmelized onion and maple jam on top and some home made jalapeno poppers. I'm salivating already.

Going out for some eggs benny for breakfast somewhere that my wife picked tomorrow as well, then might go for a hike with the family or just take myself to the gun range if I'm feeling like some me time. Don't know yet.

I personally don't care about turning 40, but if I can milk this for all its worth....
Happy 40th my friend! Enjoy your weekend sir!
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7929.00
      11-12-2021, 03:03 PM   #518
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It was $2250 for all I listed on a newer Land Cruiser. It's a black truck with all of those items listed in chrome. Just not a fan. Would prefer color matched (which has metallic and all in it, too). So all in, the price doesn't seem bad. But I'm convinced I can deal with chrome at the price even still

I've also got an older Land Cruiser that's a toy. Paint is decent, but some fading over the years. I've heard of guys getting full wraps done for about $3k. So if that's indicative of pricing (full vehicle wrap @ $3k vs a few trim pieces painted at 75% the cost), maybe I ought to look into wrapping the trim!
I would definitely get a quote for vinyl then. The greatest part about vinyl is that it isn't permanent. I might have about $250-350 cash-wise and about 20-30 hours of my time invested on the Lexus, but it's heavily modded aesthetically. I even tinted the centers on my wheels because they were chrome.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2021, 03:05 PM   #519
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Everything in this sounds perfect except for the hiking part....
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7929.00
      11-12-2021, 03:19 PM   #520
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
Everything in this sounds perfect except for the hiking part....
Yeah, we'll see what the temperatures are tomorrow, looks like it might be slightly cooler tomorrow, roughly 3-4 degrees C or 37F. But it being a little brisker might not be a bad thing. And my dog could certainly use the exercise.

It was nice today though - is 50F right now.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      11-12-2021, 03:23 PM   #521
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Happy 40th my friend! Enjoy your weekend sir!
Thank you sir! I fully intend to!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      11-12-2021, 03:24 PM   #522
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thank you sir! I fully intend to!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 03:25 PM   #523
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:

40th? I would request a birthday bj. It's all downhill from here
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      11-12-2021, 03:52 PM   #524
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I would definitely get a quote for vinyl then. The greatest part about vinyl is that it isn't permanent. I might have about $250-350 cash-wise and about 20-30 hours of my time invested on the Lexus, but it's heavily modded aesthetically. I even tinted the centers on my wheels because they were chrome.
Hmm... You've got me thinking
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:38 PM   #525
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
40th? I would request a birthday bj. It's all downhill from here
You have your sights set all wrong. I plan to request 40 bj's in honor of the occasion and am fully prepared to negotiate down, but I'm starting from an infinitely better position than you already!
Appreciate 5
upstatedoc7563.50
Tommy-G4490.50
Buug95917423.00
Mein11422.00
      11-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #526
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Might be the rum talking...
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50
      11-12-2021, 06:56 PM   #527
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

BTW Joekerr happy birthday, I neglected that in my other post.
Good luck with the 40 BJ’s and your chaffed foresking
Appreciate 1
Esteban43787.00
      11-12-2021, 06:59 PM   #528
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

I never said it had to be back to back...
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50