G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

03-29-2022, 09:38 AM   #45
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Obviously the Audi is not going to win in this situation. It is by far the sexiest of the 3. My opinion. Plus it not going to be like a Mustang or M cars where you see them everywhere!!! It's going to be super rare to see them. If I can get my Z06, I may grab one of those sick wagons. A few mods and it will be right there with those other cars anyway. RS-6 lowered, aftermarket wheels with bolt-ons tune and E-85. Dope!!!
i dont understand why theres no hate for the audi front end...is it because its not new anymore? I like the audi front end much less than the G80 front end
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25037.00
Jim B1895.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      03-29-2022, 09:53 AM   #46
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
i dont understand why theres no hate for the audi front end...is it because its not new anymore? I like the audi front end much less than the G80 front end

The Lexus front end is even worse!!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25037.00
      03-29-2022, 09:56 AM   #47
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
i dont understand why theres no hate for the audi front end...is it because its not new anymore?
I suspect that's exactly what's going on. I remember when the B7 platform emerged, there was a lot of consternation and controversy about the elongated grille.

Now that looks almost quaint, especially compared to more recent models like the e-tron, which don't even need a grille, yet end up blacking out the majority of the front fascia.

It's hard to know where BMW styling will go next -- they're definitely more bold and adventurous than Porsche, say -- but I believe all the whining about the G8X grilles will subside over time (only to be replaced with shock and awe at whatever comes next).
      03-29-2022, 09:57 AM   #48
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Agree as well. I've had 4 M cars and made the switch to a Model 3P and I can tell you that right now I can't justify buying a $100k (with markup) M3xdrive vs a $62k Tesla .. that essentially weighs the same, brakes the same and that's toe to toe up to 100mph (assuming you get the launch mode to work before the tesla is long gone). The Tesla is very track capable (addition of heat pump/track mode) and with low cost mods can really compete on any local track - with superchargers close by to play all day long.
Laugh all you want about the Tesla, but for what it is its an excellent value.. just like what the M3 used to be...
these price comparisons always make me giggle...like is someone forcing you to get an individual color/carbon ceramic brakes/racing seats? why would you include those in a comparison to a tesla that doesnt even have those options available. my xdrive m3 was well appointed for $81K and you get a far superior fit and finish...better sales/service experience....better interior...a lighter, more track capable car, and i can get it in a sick green color rather than be limited to the 4 colors tesla has hardly changed at all since launch. maybe all that isnt worth the 19k price increase for everyone and i absolutely respect that but '62k vs 100k for cars that weigh the same' is just plain disingenuous. the model 3 has almost 300 pounds on the M3 xdrive

In overall performance the M3P is much more comparable to the i4 m50 and the i4 is very competitive with the m3p price wise
Appreciate 6
M3AWD3181.50
manuelf352.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
playswcars3632.00
Scorp!on1511.50
      03-29-2022, 10:11 AM   #49
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Just want to add that launch control and 0-60 may not mean much to previous gen ///M car owners but once you try it in the G80 4WD it'll put a smile on your face It's a pleasant change to have traction consistently from a stop or even when rolling at 20mph

But anyway it's always good to have choices so everyone can enjoy what they prefer. Competition helps everyone. I'm loving my G80

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25037.00
Vic5519353.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      03-29-2022, 10:12 AM   #50
JerseyG80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3x

Apples and Oranges - I dont understand why a Tesla is being compared to an M car. Two different ball games here. A helicopter and an airplane can both fly.

I took delivery of my X drive two weeks ago and its very fast. I am yet to floor it and its too fast for public roads. I highly doubt a Tesla (any model) can replicate the emotions the M3 brings out.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 10:45 AM   #51
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AWD View Post
Just want to add that launch control and 0-60 may not mean much to previous gen ///M car owners but once you try it in the G80 4WD it'll put a smile on your face It's a pleasant change to have traction consistently from a stop or even when rolling at 20mph

But anyway it's always good to have choices so everyone can enjoy what they prefer. Competition helps everyone. I'm loving my G80
Wait till you get them to a 1000+ hp with rolling launch!!! My brother gets mad every time I do it in his GTR. Lol. It's addictive to say the least!! That's why I do it at least twice a week😉
Appreciate 1
M3AWD3181.50
      03-29-2022, 05:40 PM   #52
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
these price comparisons always make me giggle...like is someone forcing you to get an individual color/carbon ceramic brakes/racing seats? why would you include those in a comparison to a tesla that doesnt even have those options available. my xdrive m3 was well appointed for $81K and you get a far superior fit and finish...better sales/service experience....better interior...a lighter, more track capable car, and i can get it in a sick green color rather than be limited to the 4 colors tesla has hardly changed at all since launch. maybe all that isnt worth the 19k price increase for everyone and i absolutely respect that but '62k vs 100k for cars that weigh the same' is just plain disingenuous. the model 3 has almost 300 pounds on the M3 xdrive

In overall performance the M3P is much more comparable to the i4 m50 and the i4 is very competitive with the m3p price wise
It's not a 300pounds difference.

Model Performance straight from website is 4048lbs
M3Xdrive is 3990lbs.

i4m50 weights 5018lbs, it's slower and really a let down with only 245miles of range and its base price is still much higher than teslas

anyone looking for an M3 xdrive right now will pay a 10-15k markup on the lot. that won't change for a while, but hey if you like throwing your money away to a dealership be my guest.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 08:54 PM   #53
qubaldo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Agree as well. I've had 4 M cars and made the switch to a Model 3P and I can tell you that right now I can't justify buying a $100k (with markup) M3xdrive vs a $62k Tesla .. that essentially weighs the same, brakes the same and that's toe to toe up to 100mph (assuming you get the launch mode to work before the tesla is long gone). The Tesla is very track capable (addition of heat pump/track mode) and with low cost mods can really compete on any local track - with superchargers close by to play all day long.
Laugh all you want about the Tesla, but for what it is its an excellent value.. just like what the M3 used to be...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 01:34 AM   #54
gs1403
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_sng View Post
This is one of the many reasons when Audi tried to lure me into an RS5 when the RS3 fell through in Canada, I politely told them no thanks. The car looks good, but its soooo underwhelming performance wise. So glad I ended up with the M3C. Audi really has fallen FAR behind now that BMW is offering xDrive in most of their M models. It was one of the biggest reasons I opted not to get a BMW before, because winters here suck, and are 6 months long.
Agreed. You can't even spec a RS5 with things like carbon buckets, cf roof, full leather interior, CCB (back when you could get them) were for the fronts only, you're limited to literally two interior color choices..took 5 minutes on the Audi configurator to decide that it was G82>RS5 for me, even before seeing all the videos of the RS5 getting annihilated by the G8X. After having owned three B8s before going BMW, I'm just glad that the B9 generation is close to the end of its shelf life.
2023 G82 M4 Competition / Dravit Grey Ind. / Silverstone/Black Full Merino / Carbon Fiber trim / Bi-color 826M / Executive / M Carbon Ceramic Brakes / Icon Adaptive LED Headlights / M Shadowline Lights / M Carbon Exterior
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25037.00
      03-30-2022, 09:10 AM   #55
Ryan_sng
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ‘16 S3, G80 M3C (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1403 View Post
Agreed. You can't even spec a RS5 with things like carbon buckets, cf roof, full leather interior, CCB (back when you could get them) were for the fronts only, you're limited to literally two interior color choices..took 5 minutes on the Audi configurator to decide that it was G82>RS5 for me, even before seeing all the videos of the RS5 getting annihilated by the G8X. After having owned three B8s before going BMW, I'm just glad that the B9 generation is close to the end of its shelf life.
Yeah it was the same thing for me too. Would have costed me more money per month on my lease since the residuals are so low. Audi's RS models have always had Quattro as their biggest selling point for those who wanted to have peace of mind in winter climates. That's all down the toilet, and I think is going to force their hand to make better drivers cars with more performance options otherwise they're really going to fall further down.
      03-30-2022, 05:05 PM   #56
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoe66 View Post
Why do they keep calling this racing. It's not racing. In racing you accelerate, break, turn left, and turn right. You don't just go in a straight line, who cares.
Brake
Appreciate 2
playswcars3632.00
Vic5519353.00
      03-31-2022, 01:49 AM   #57
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoe66 View Post
Why do they keep calling this racing. It's not racing. In racing you accelerate, break, turn left, and turn right. You don't just go in a straight line, who cares.
You might have that view, but officially racing is defined as "a contest of speed" hence "drag race" and "circuit race". Number of corners is irrelevant (no matter how more interesting it may be). And people do care, especially in the US where drag racing is extremely popular.
Appreciate 3
Vic5519353.00
Sedan_Clan25037.00
KANdaddy2492.50
      04-05-2022, 01:52 PM   #58
perezr10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
I really don't understand the compulsion to sling mud at the 'opposition' like a 5 year old. They both have their merits. You'll enjoy life much more if you learn to appreciate life's variety (in this case, motoring variety) instead of convincing yourself you're always right and the 'other side' must suck (ICE vs. EV). It's called confirmation bias. Life's better if you don't give in to it

As someone who owns both an M2C and a Tesla M3P I can say from experience these types of cars beat each other in different ways. Reality is, unless you're a douche bag, you aren't going to sit at the lights revving your engine in launch control. In the 3 years I owned an M2 and then the 2 years I owned an M2C I've collectively used launch control about 4-5 times. It's useless in the real world. On the streets, the Tesla will be quicker. And, you can drive like an idiot all day and not care about how much it's costing you. It's instant, it isn't anti-social etc. But, the M3 will be more emotional, arguably more fun in the long run and better on the drag strip and track.

Learn to find joy in what you have but also joy in that someone else can love a different experience.

Personally, I think each of these cars are fantastic in their own right and anyone should be happy to own any of them.
You really don't understand? Well, I'll fill your clueless self in. It's because the greenies have been preaching to the rest of us how we're bad people for loving our cars. It's the natural reflex. Tesla has the most obnoxious and self-righteousness fans in the world and they brought the ridicule on themselves.

But truth be told, Tesla would get crap even if they were ICE powered. They are like a Soviet-era vehicle where windshields crack, paint peels off, control arms snap, and roofs fly off. They make BMW look like Honda.

People who I know who are not into cars even say that they wouldn't touch Tesla with a 10ft pole. Why because they heard the quality sucks and the customer service is the worst in the world.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 02:35 PM   #59
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezr10 View Post
Quote:
I really don't understand the compulsion to sling mud at the 'opposition' like a 5 year old. They both have their merits. You'll enjoy life much more if you learn to appreciate life's variety (in this case, motoring variety) instead of convincing yourself you're always right and the 'other side' must suck (ICE vs. EV). It's called confirmation bias. Life's better if you don't give in to it

As someone who owns both an M2C and a Tesla M3P I can say from experience these types of cars beat each other in different ways. Reality is, unless you're a douche bag, you aren't going to sit at the lights revving your engine in launch control. In the 3 years I owned an M2 and then the 2 years I owned an M2C I've collectively used launch control about 4-5 times. It's useless in the real world. On the streets, the Tesla will be quicker. And, you can drive like an idiot all day and not care about how much it's costing you. It's instant, it isn't anti-social etc. But, the M3 will be more emotional, arguably more fun in the long run and better on the drag strip and track.

Learn to find joy in what you have but also joy in that someone else can love a different experience.

Personally, I think each of these cars are fantastic in their own right and anyone should be happy to own any of them.
You really don't understand? Well, I'll fill your clueless self in. It's because the greenies have been preaching to the rest of us how we're bad people for loving our cars. It's the natural reflex. Tesla has the most obnoxious and self-righteousness fans in the world and they brought the ridicule on themselves.

But truth be told, Tesla would get crap even if they were ICE powered. They are like a Soviet-era vehicle where windshields crack, paint peels off, control arms snap, and roofs fly off. They make BMW look like Honda.

People who I know who are not into cars even say that they wouldn't touch Tesla with a 10ft pole. Why because they heard the quality sucks and the customer service is the worst in the world.
1. There is no need to resort to insults.

2. Tarring millions of people with the same brush is senseless. Not every person who owns a Tesla is "self-righteous and obnoxious". I've met Tesla owners who are a-hols and others who are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. I can say the same for BMW owners, Porsche and just about every other car brand on the planet. Owning a car from a certain brand does not define your identity or character, no matter what BS marketing departments promote. Everyone is an individual and there are good and bad people 'belonging' to every brand. You'll hear the same nonsense with Android vs. iOS, PlayStation vs. Xbox etc. People are people. Some good, some bad.

3. Tesla quality issues, while real, are overblown. Unfortunately for Tesla, they're the 'new kid on the block' and everyone is hyper-critical of them, even in areas where previously one one cared. Example - the 1ft rollout fiasco. Car manufactures and magazines have been using this stat for years, they just never declared it. Tesla was one of few companies to openly declare it and then they're accused of faking their numbers - go figure. Its the same thing with 'range anxiety'. Don't get me wrong, its a real issue for some people, but honestly, I have more anxiety with my M2. I've been late to various events because I forgot to fuel my car the night before only to set off in the morning and realised I needed to stop somewhere to get fuel first. With an EV, providing you have a charger at home, you're fully charged every day. For those long distance trips, the supercharger network is there. I've also found myself enjoying various 'quality of life' improvements. Fully automatic climate control with automatic heated seats, preconditioning and de-icing every morning, one-pedal driving, auto-pilot, silent/peaceful driving, reduced servicing etc. All of these are testaments of 'quality' but all anyone talks about is panels gaps. Which, coincidentally are mostly a thing of the past now and rarely does a new vehicle have such problems.

People love to criticise the EV space/Tesla because they're scared of losing what they love, what they're familiar with. That's not a criticism either, I'm scared of one day being unable to enjoy an ICE car. I've openly complained on this very forum that I'm sick and tired of regulators, greenies and bureaucracies like the EU doing everything they can to make cars silent, soulless and boring. But, I'm not adverse to admitting EVs can make for a fantastic car (especially a daily).

Like I suggested before - life is better enjoyed when you appreciate diversity and for that reason I hope ICE and EV continue to coexist for as long as possible. I also hope we continue to see new competitors in the motor industry to keep things 'spicy'.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
Scorp!on1511.50
      04-05-2022, 08:21 PM   #60
perezr10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

2. Tarring millions of people with the same brush is senseless. Not every person who owns a Tesla is "self-righteous and obnoxious". I've met Tesla owners who are a-hols and others who are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. I can say the same for BMW owners, Porsche and just about every other car brand on the planet. Owning a car from a certain brand does not define your identity or character, no matter what BS marketing departments promote. Everyone is an individual and there are good and bad people 'belonging' to every brand. You'll hear the same nonsense with Android vs. iOS, PlayStation vs. Xbox etc. People are people. Some good, some bad.

3. Tesla quality issues, while real, are overblown. Unfortunately for Tesla, they're the 'new kid on the block' and everyone is hyper-critical of them, even in areas where previously one one cared. Example - the 1ft rollout fiasco. Car manufactures and magazines have been using this stat for years, they just never declared it. Tesla was one of few companies to openly declare it and then they're accused of faking their numbers - go figure. Its the same thing with 'range anxiety'. Don't get me wrong, its a real issue for some people, but honestly, I have more anxiety with my M2. I've been late to various events because I forgot to fuel my car the night before only to set off in the morning and realised I needed to stop somewhere to get fuel first. With an EV, providing you have a charger at home, you're fully charged every day. For those long distance trips, the supercharger network is there. I've also found myself enjoying various 'quality of life' improvements. Fully automatic climate control with automatic heated seats, preconditioning and de-icing every morning, one-pedal driving, auto-pilot, silent/peaceful driving, reduced servicing etc. All of these are testaments of 'quality' but all anyone talks about is panels gaps. Which, coincidentally are mostly a thing of the past now and rarely does a new vehicle have such problems.

People love to criticise the EV space/Tesla because they're scared of losing what they love, what they're familiar with. That's not a criticism either, I'm scared of one day being unable to enjoy an ICE car. I've openly complained on this very forum that I'm sick and tired of regulators, greenies and bureaucracies like the EU doing everything they can to make cars silent, soulless and boring. But, I'm not adverse to admitting EVs can make for a fantastic car (especially a daily).

Like I suggested before - life is better enjoyed when you appreciate diversity and for that reason I hope ICE and EV continue to coexist for as long as possible. I also hope we continue to see new competitors in the motor industry to keep things 'spicy'.
Ooh! A little touchy aren't we? Tesla's suck, get over it. And Tesla fans, even if they aren't the majority, are the worst. Everyone knows that. Don't play dumb.

And you really have an overactive imagination if you think people mock those glitchy rattletraps because they are afraid of them. Ha! You're delusional. But tell yourself if that makes you feel better. We mock them because they're crappy cars.

In the meantime, when the rest of us see a Tesla on the road. We feel sorry for the poor owner.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 01:45 AM   #61
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ooh! A little touchy aren't we? Tesla's suck, get over it. And Tesla fans, even if they aren't the majority, are the worst. Everyone knows that. Don't play dumb.

And you really have an overactive imagination if you think people mock those glitchy rattletraps because they are afraid of them. Ha! You're delusional. But tell yourself if that makes you feel better. We mock them because they're crappy cars.

In the meantime, when the rest of us see a Tesla on the road. We feel sorry for the poor owner.
Haha ok sir. I can see I'm wasting my time with you. I hope you enjoy whatever you have and one day learn to respect others who have a different opinion to you. Have a nice day
Appreciate 3
Vic5519353.00
chris7197334.00
KANdaddy2492.50
      04-06-2022, 01:46 AM   #62
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
I have an M3 xDrive and a model 3 performance sitting side by side in my garage right now, and I can confirm that aside from the model 3 acceleration instant torque, the car is essentially a dog turd parked next to my M3. They're not even cross shoppable cars, I don't get why they keep getting compared as if Tesla's subpar, poorly built product is even in the same class.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17485.50
KANdaddy2492.50
      04-06-2022, 02:20 AM   #63
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarmin View Post
I have an M3 xDrive and a model 3 performance sitting side by side in my garage right now, and I can confirm that aside from the model 3 acceleration instant torque, the car is essentially a dog turd parked next to my M3. They're not even cross shoppable cars, I don't get why they keep getting compared as if Tesla's subpar, poorly built product is even in the same class.
I don't think realistically people cross shop them, but they do compare them when it comes to performance as quite honestly they're interesting to compare and when it comes to 0-60 they're at least similar. But I agree, beyond 80~mph and on the quality front, the M3 would have it beat. But, I'd expect that from a car costing a fair amount more from an established brand.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 07:30 AM   #64
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarmin View Post
I don't think realistically people cross shop them, but they do compare them when it comes to performance as quite honestly they're interesting to compare and when it comes to 0-60 they're at least similar. But I agree, beyond 80~mph and on the quality front, the M3 would have it beat. But, I'd expect that from a car costing a fair amount more from an established brand.
The problem with comparing them on one metric is that it gives uninformed people the impression that they are comparable cars.
NathObeaN1307.50
KANdaddy2492.50
      04-06-2022, 07:37 AM   #65
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
The problem with comparing them on one metric is that it gives uninformed people the impression that they are comparable cars.
This is a key point that is fairly subtle. I'll acknowledge that the P versions have some other upgraded hardware, but if Tesla's weren't so brutally effective sprinters, I wonder how popular they would really be?
KANdaddy2492.50
      04-06-2022, 08:43 AM   #66
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

That XDrive off the line is very very impressive vs a Model 3 Performance.
Its going to take a plaid to win.