BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-02-2022, 03:39 AM   #111
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by emargul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by csayad View Post
If I do a mirror tap is it removable/reversible? I have a 23 coming in soon but would like to do this. Thoughts?
Just throwing caution to the wind. But since the center screen has been updated in the 2023, there may be other electronics that have been updated, as well. Just keep that in mind when you're using the same wiring that worked in the 2021-2022 models.

Worst case scenario, you just won't get power. It's not going to mess anything up, unless you completely ground something out. I would say if the wiring color is the same, it's probably a safe bet, that nothing has changed.
So has anyone done the mirror tap on the 2023? I am having the issue of no power at the red and blue wire; however I get 13 volts on the small connector with the red and green wire. I've been at this for 2 hours now. Super frustrating! Thanks in advance for any advice.
Haven't seen anyone else. But I've seen this with LCI models with other car makers. Something that simple could easily change on an LCI.

I would start a new thread to get more traction to it.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 04:18 AM   #112
emargul
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by csayad View Post
If I do a mirror tap is it removable/reversible? I have a 23 coming in soon but would like to do this. Thoughts?
Just throwing caution to the wind. But since the center screen has been updated in the 2023, there may be other electronics that have been updated, as well. Just keep that in mind when you're using the same wiring that worked in the 2021-2022 models.

Worst case scenario, you just won't get power. It's not going to mess anything up, unless you completely ground something out. I would say if the wiring color is the same, it's probably a safe bet, that nothing has changed.
So has anyone done the mirror tap on the 2023? I am having the issue of no power at the red and blue wire; however I get 13 volts on the small connector with the red and green wire. I've been at this for 2 hours now. Super frustrating! Thanks in advance for any advice.
Haven't seen anyone else. But I've seen this with LCI models with other car makers. Something that simple could easily change on an LCI.

I would start a new thread to get more traction to it.
Thank you I will do that. Do you happen to know what that plug does that everyone is tapping into? Is it the garage door opener in the mirror?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 04:25 AM   #113
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you I will do that. Do you happen to know what that plug does that everyone is tapping into? Is it the garage door opener in the mirror?
Did you watch the video on post 27?

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 04:35 AM   #114
emargul
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did you watch the video on post 27?
Yup I did and everything was pretty simple except for not getting any power. The ground tap works fine because I confirmed it with my volt meter. The red/blue tap reads zero for volts. I even tried different sized taps that I got from blendmount and none of them gave a reading.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 04:47 AM   #115
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yup I did and everything was pretty simple except for not getting any power. The ground tap works fine because I confirmed it with my volt meter. The red/blue tap reads zero for volts. I even tried different sized taps that I got from blendmount and none of them gave a reading.
I was going to ask if you were turning the ignition on, but I just walked out and checked my car, the mirror tap comes on when you just walk close to the car with the key, at the same time all of the rest of everything powers up, so, that's not it, either.

It looks like you're going to be the guineapig. Best thing to do is find the power with the meter.

Checking some other threads, it seems people have found some wiring differences in the model years.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1958562

Appreciate 1
emargul204.50
      11-02-2022, 04:53 AM   #116
emargul
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was going to ask if you were turning the ignition on, but I just walked out and checked my car, the mirror tap comes on when you just walk close to the car with the key, at the same time all of the rest of everything powers up, so, that's not it, either.

It looks like you're going to be the guineapig. Best thing to do is find the power with the meter.

Checking some other threads, it seems people have found some wiring differences in the model years.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1958562
Thank you I appreciate you checking. I did find 12V on the small mirror connector with the red/green wire but it never turned off even after 10 minutes so I'm not sure what that is powering.

I started the other thread. I am hoping to figure out what the big mirror connector does just to make sure this isn't a my car issue vs. an "LCI" difference. If I can find out what it does and make sure that function of the car/mirror works then it will rule out a my car issue.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13476.00
      11-02-2022, 04:58 AM   #117
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you I appreciate you checking. I did find 12V on the small mirror connector with the red/green wire but it never turned off even after 10 minutes so I'm not sure what that is powering.

I started the other thread. I am hoping to figure out what the big mirror connector does just to make sure this isn't a my car issue vs. an "LCI" difference. If I can find out what it does and make sure that function of the car/mirror works then it will rule out a my car issue.
If you read earlier in the thread, people were saying the same thing about how we had the original wiring tapped on the 21-22 models. I asked if they were sure that they weren't going out to check to see if the power was off, and they weren't reactivating it, themselves?

It sounds like if there are 4 pins in that plug, and the only one that's changed, was red/green from red/blue, that, that would be the red/green wire would be the power wire that replaced the red/blue in the 2023 model.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 05:12 AM   #118
emargul
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If you read earlier in the thread, people were saying the same thing about how we had the original wiring tapped on the 21-22 models. I asked if they were sure that they weren't going out to check to see if the power was off, and they weren't reactivating it, themselves?

It sounds like if there are 4 pins in that plug, and the only one that's changed, was red/green from red/blue, that, that would be the red/green wire would be the power wire that replaced the red/blue in the 2023 model.
I put the keys inside the house when I waited the 10 minutes and let the car lock. Just to give a bit more context, I borrowed this pic that someone posted earlier in the thread.

The small connector with the red/green wire all the way on the right is where I found the constant 12v. It has 3 pins on it. The big connector right below with the 4 pins I can't get any power from.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 11:16 AM   #119
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I put the keys inside the house when I waited the 10 minutes and let the car lock. Just to give a bit more context, I borrowed this pic that someone posted earlier in the thread.

The small connector with the red/green wire all the way on the right is where I found the constant 12v. It has 3 pins on it. The big connector right below with the 4 pins I can't get any power from.
Yeah, I have no idea what that goes to. One of them is going to go to the cameras up there, for the auto headlights. Im not sure you want to be pulling power from that. You may be running a separate wire from the fuse box, if you can't find anything else.

Appreciate 1
emargul204.50
      11-02-2022, 03:22 PM   #120
emargul
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I have no idea what that goes to. One of them is going to go to the cameras up there, for the auto headlights. Im not sure you want to be pulling power from that. You may be running a separate wire from the fuse box, if you can't find anything else.
Update it was a blown fuse! Can confirm that 2023 with idrive 8 is exactly the same as previous years. Also, the big connector we are tapping into is the garage door opener and led light in mirror.
Appreciate 3
Limegrntaln13476.00
BvB190960.00
eman45171724.50
      11-02-2022, 04:16 PM   #121
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Update it was a blown fuse! Can confirm that 2023 with idrive 8 is exactly the same as previous years. Also, the big connector we are tapping into is the garage door opener and led light in mirror.
Wow, how'd you blow a fuse on a car that you got, yesterday.

Good work. Saves people a lot of headache. Make sure you keep your other thread open, and just make updates, so, people can have a place to go to for the 23 model years.

Appreciate 1
emargul204.50
      11-03-2022, 05:08 AM   #122
emargul
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good work. Saves people a lot of headache. Make sure you keep your other thread open, and just make updates, so, people can have a place to go to for the 23 model years.
Lol no idea but glad I got it figured out. It was driving me crazy lol
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13476.00
      11-04-2022, 01:25 AM   #123
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If that was me, it would still be broken. I'd never think to check fuses on a new car. Such a good catch.

Appreciate 1
emargul204.50
      11-27-2022, 02:26 PM   #124
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Knocked this out today using Posi-Lock taps.

Popping off the mirror makes this 1000% easier.

For all you Uniden peeps, this 3 suction cup mount is awesome.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185449408753
Attached Images

01-02-2023, 01:27 PM   #125
BvB1909
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Competition xDrive

2023 M3 Competition with the driving assistance and park assistance packages here. This i4 video on the mirror tap has the exact same mirror which was pretty helpful in case anybody is interested. I also used the second smallest set of the BlendMount taps.

https://youtu.be/qN5ImEMEYIg
Appreciate 2
emargul204.50
kgelfen3602217.00
      02-02-2023, 09:28 AM   #126
m3_blanc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AlpineWhite6MT///M3

I've seen people tap the black connector like the video posted early on in this thread. I've seen other videos tapping into the pink connector.

Is there a difference either connector to tap into??
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 09:39 AM   #127
Drillbit02
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetyphoon1 View Post
I've seen people tap the black connector like the video posted early on in this thread. I've seen other videos tapping into the pink connector.

I tapped the pink connector first and the radar would not turn off. Then, I tapped power (red cable) into the larger black connector and radar turns off a few min after car is off.

I have ‘23 g80 m3c.
Appreciate 1
T0RM3NT3642.00
      02-02-2023, 09:42 AM   #128
Valkyrja
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetyphoon1 View Post

I tapped into the red/pink one. I think I have a blown fuse on the black connector.

Mines a 2023. I did an hour test to see if the detector would power off. Looked inside and it wasn't on. Going to see about the blown fuse tho and possibly put it in the black connector later. If thats the problem
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 02:39 PM   #129
m3_blanc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AlpineWhite6MT///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillbit02 View Post
I tapped the pink connector first and the radar would not turn off. Then, I tapped power (red cable) into the larger black connector and radar turns off a few min after car is off.

I have ‘23 g80 m3c.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrja View Post
I tapped into the red/pink one. I think I have a blown fuse on the black connector.

Mines a 2023. I did an hour test to see if the detector would power off. Looked inside and it wasn't on. Going to see about the blown fuse tho and possibly put it in the black connector later. If thats the problem
Thanks for the advice!
Just finished. It was SUPER simple.
Took less than 3 mins, used a trim stick, stuck in the red/black into the black connector, two zip ties around the connection points and upper wire area with the cloth.

I debated getting the blendmount, the OEM rubber mount from the UNIDEN R3 works fine. I wanted the radar to be on the right side of the mirror too, not directly under.
Attached Images

Last edited by m3_blanc; 02-02-2023 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2023, 07:04 PM   #130
Asmedbeats
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 M3 Comp Xdrive  [0.00]
2023 M3 Comp Xdrive  [0.00]
Definitely harder than my f80 mirror tap.

I used the blendmount wire. There are 4 sizes. I used the second smallest connectors. If you try to put the bigger ones in they require too much force and bend.

Definitely use needle nose pliers to remove the plug.

I have driver assistant professional so this link was helpful in removing the plastic cover. Also, I have idrive 8.
https://youtu.be/qN5ImEMEYIg
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MMM.PWR3452.00
      03-11-2023, 11:30 PM   #131
Jdc33333
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Hey I think I just blew the mirror fuse in my brand new 23 M3. Any chance you recall which fuse and where it’s located? Please help.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 03:32 PM   #132
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

59 front fuse box (Passenger footwell) per previous post. I have mine hardwired there. You will quickly see if it's blown when you pull it just to be sure.
Appreciate 1
T0RM3NT3642.00