Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

02-10-2022, 05:54 AM   #23
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I’m not much of a betting man because betting can get out of control however if I was I would bet a considerable amount of money that the green car posted above with 295’s and 10.5” wide wheels in the front is practically undrivable due to extreme rubbing when braking or driving even slightly aggressive. There is no way that works. Isn’t it time we consider as a group to admit the BMW engineers put the wheels on the stock vehicle the way they did for a reason? I understand the stock car wheels are more inside the wheel well because of laws and that affects the aesthetics so we all know it’s mechanically safe as well as aesthetically pleasing to bring the wheels out towards the fender but that’s different than significantly increasing the width of the wheel and tire. I wonder how many people are going to spend a bloody fortune on custom wheels for their G8X only to put them on and be horrified during their first drive? This is going to turn out to be a financial disaster for many people if they’re not careful.
This subject has been done to death, whether we are talking about spacers, tyres, coilovers, tunes and even upgraded brakes.

If you are saying that BMW engineers have come up with the absolute best compromise for what is primarily a road car, to be used across multiple continents and extremes of weather, for various skills of driver, And, that comfort, refinement and feel are potentially more important than performance, then I agree with you.

The width increases we are talking here are actually very tame by traditional mod standards.
With F80's its common for people to move 20mm on the front (from a 255 front) and even the factory offered anywhere from a 255 on the rear to a 285, with people going up to 305 with aftermarket wheels.

That is a far greater variation than we are talking here, 20mm on the front and a measly 10mm extra on the rear on such a big tyre isn't extreme in the slightest as a percentage.

Despite all that, users like myself who set their car up for the track are very comfortable with a compromise. Losing some comfort, losing some sharpness even, if it means more grip. Manufacturers don't build cars for me as I am well and truly into niche territory of their customer groups, so mods where I understand the compromises well are just part of the process.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 06:04 AM   #24
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBen View Post
This subject has been done to death, whether we are talking about spacers, tyres, coilovers, tunes and even upgraded brakes.

If you are saying that BMW engineers have come up with the absolute best compromise for what is primarily a road car, to be used across multiple continents and extremes of weather, for various skills of driver, And, that comfort, refinement and feel are potentially more important than performance, then I agree with you.

The width increases we are talking here are actually very tame by traditional mod standards.
With F80's its common for people to move 20mm on the front (from a 255 front) and even the factory offered anywhere from a 255 on the rear to a 285, with people going up to 305 with aftermarket wheels.

That is a far greater variation than we are talking here, 20mm on the front and a measly 10mm extra on the rear on such a big tyre isn't extreme in the slightest as a percentage.

Despite all that, users like myself who set their car up for the track are very comfortable with a compromise. Losing some comfort, losing some sharpness even, if it means more grip. Manufacturers don't build cars for me as I am well and truly into niche territory of their customer groups, so mods where I understand the compromises well are just part of the process.
OK my friend. I agree with you on the back wheels by the way. I’ve already been told that up to 305 works without issues. But remember the back wheels don’t turn. Let’s see 295’s with 10.5 inch wheels in the front and let me know how it works. I already have some guys in Florida, very knowledgeable guys tell me there is a decent amount rubbing with just 10 inch wheels with 275s in the front. If you go even wider with rubber I imagine it will be worse. That doesn’t mean you can’t modify the inside of the front wheel wells to except the extra wide tires. Some of guys here seem to be doing that. Let me know how it works out with 295s in the front of your car. I’m excited to hear it.

I completely disagree with you that this has been done to death on this forum at least concerning the G8X. I read every thread on the subject and there’s very few people that have reported here different than stock set ups and I haven’t read one with a detailed driving report with someone going to 295s in the front. I can’t speak about the F8X cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 10:16 AM   #25
ROBERT1183
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED

Im not usually a fan of most Vossen wheels but these look awesome. I would love a meaty setup on mine but I probably would not go that wide up front.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 11:20 AM   #26
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
OK my friend. I agree with you on the back wheels by the way. I’ve already been told that up to 305 works without issues. But remember the back wheels don’t turn. Let’s see 295’s with 10.5 inch wheels in the front and let me know how it works. I already have some guys in Florida, very knowledgeable guys tell me there is a decent amount rubbing with just 10 inch wheels with 275s in the front. If you go even wider with rubber I imagine it will be worse. That doesn’t mean you can’t modify the inside of the front wheel wells to except the extra wide tires. Some of guys here seem to be doing that. Let me know how it works out with 295s in the front of your car. I’m excited to hear it.

I completely disagree with you that this has been done to death on this forum at least concerning the G8X. I read every thread on the subject and there’s very few people that have reported here different than stock set ups and I haven’t read one with a detailed driving report with someone going to 295s in the front. I can’t speak about the F8X cars.
Concur, these are G80 discussions about tire adjustments and not a 7 year old chassis like the F80 which doesnt have any remotely close wheel and tire setups from the factory.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50
      02-10-2022, 07:30 PM   #27
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 10:36 PM   #28
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Quote:

When I said "done to death" I meant the proposition that the factory gets it right and people shouldn't mess with the formula. In my experience people use that line to discourage all kinds of modifications, without understanding what the user is trying to achieve.
Apologies if you took it in relation to G80 tyre fitment specifically as I appreciate I wasn't clear.

One thing we haven't gotten into is height vs width here. I agree with you if you are suggesting height may be an issue, as I believe that will be a bigger contributor to front clearance than outter guard clearance.

Honestly, I agree that the user here will have issues. He has increased width (which increases the radius) while also increasing height by 1.5%. He's likely trimmed the inner fender guard, but I don't think doing both is a good idea.

FWIW, when I go to a track setup I will use a 295/30 19 which decreases the total height by 20mm. Despite the extra width it should mean only outter guard clearance is what I have to watch and once some camber is dialed in there is a lot of extra room.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 06:43 AM   #29
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBen View Post
When I said "done to death" I meant the proposition that the factory gets it right and people shouldn't mess with the formula. In my experience people use that line to discourage all kinds of modifications, without understanding what the user is trying to achieve.
Apologies if you took it in relation to G80 tyre fitment specifically as I appreciate I wasn't clear.

One thing we haven't gotten into is height vs width here. I agree with you if you are suggesting height may be an issue, as I believe that will be a bigger contributor to front clearance than outter guard clearance.

Honestly, I agree that the user here will have issues. He has increased width (which increases the radius) while also increasing height by 1.5%. He's likely trimmed the inner fender guard, but I don't think doing both is a good idea.

FWIW, when I go to a track setup I will use a 295/30 19 which decreases the total height by 20mm. Despite the extra width it should mean only outter guard clearance is what I have to watch and once some camber is dialed in there is a lot of extra room.
I appreciate you saying that. I’m sure there are lots of people that do mods that cause problems especially in the beginning. I personally know very little about these things as my expertise is not in automobiles but in air-conditioning and refrigeration. That’s one of the main reasons I come to this forum is to get advice and help not to mention to look at all these absolutely beautiful G8X vehicles in different colors and modifications.

A 295/30ZR19 is basically 3/4” wider and a half an inch less diameter than the stock vehicle front tire. I don’t think it’s the diameter of the wheels causing the rubbing issues but mostly the width. One of the guys that is a BMW specialty shop and a forum member and sponsor here put 285s with 10” wheels on his G80. He has lots of rubbing especially when breaking 70%. That would be catastrophic for you on the track. I’m assuming it would anyway. In the end when picking out my custom sizes as I stated in my own thread I started on the subject I’ve decided to not take any risks because I don’t want to spend 8K in new wheels and tires only to find out it’s a problem that the only fix is to eat the 8k and start over again.

I could be wrong but isn’t all this also going to happen when everybody starts tuning these things? What I mean is aren’t people going to find out the hard way just how much certain stock components of the vehicle can take before failure as they increase the horsepower? I would think there’s going to be a whole bunch of “don’t try this at home people” happening. Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 08:11 AM   #30
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

There are times when the BMW folk DO get it wrong. When they left the wheel sizes alone going from the M2 to the M2C, it wasn't the right move. The rear tires weren't wide enough for the increase in power on that platform (along with staying with MPSS's instead of moving to PS4S's). I imagine that they would have had to put the M2C through additional homologation efforts if they had changed the wheel and tire sizes, and they probably had contracts for the tires that extended into the M2C days for the car.

But, the car wasn't correct on the original tire widths. It was massively easy to break the rear end loose and was missing the magic "balance" attribute. When I changed mine to 295 rears on PS4's, it was a night-and-day change. The car felt CORRECT.

That being said, the G80 isn't the same situation. It's new and feels right on the original tire and wheel sizes. I'm very hesitant to change the wheel and tire size.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 01:28 PM   #31
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebor View Post
I didnt drive it. Only testfit on my friends M4.
The Rears do not fit on the front. Two pics of front strut clearance, front wheel, and rear with Michelins...Maybe a Pirelli would fit if its a touch smaller. The tire has about 3 sheets of paper clearance to the strut. I didn't even try to drive it. These are pre-camber plate pics..
Attached Images

Erebor1130.00
      03-03-2022, 01:15 AM   #32
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition (G82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
The Rears do not fit on the front. Two pics of front strut clearance, front wheel, and rear with Michelins...Maybe a Pirelli would fit if its a touch smaller. The tire has about 3 sheets of paper clearance to the strut. I didn't even try to drive it. These are pre-camber plate pics..
Yeah, that looks pretty close. We didn't see that when we testet it, but we only briefly checked, if the tire would rotate. Good thing i went with 10.5 ET15, so i will have 5mm space inbetween.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 03:27 AM   #33
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:
Yeah, that looks pretty close. We didn't see that when we testet it, but we only briefly checked, if the tire would rotate. Good thing i went with 10.5 ET15, so i will have 5mm space inbetween.
Yeah, based on those inner clearance pics I was feeling pretty good about the 19x10.5 et12 square set I have on order, for 285/35/19s all around…until I read the new thread next to this one (where that same tire size also in PS4S rubs up front on a 19x10 et11).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 03:35 AM   #34
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
Yeah, based on those inner clearance pics I was feeling pretty good about the 19x10.5 et12 square set I have on order, for 285/35/19s all around…until I read the new thread next to this one (where that same tire size also in PS4S rubs up front on a 19x10 et11).
Yeah 10.5 ET12 seems pretty aggressive to me. I talked to the guys over at Edelweiss Wheels which also go for 10.5" wheel on the front. He told me that with the 285/30 20" PS4s*, the max. possible offset is 14. That's what they went with now.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 03:45 AM   #35
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah 10.5 ET12 seems pretty aggressive to me. I talked to the guys over at Edelweiss Wheels which also go for 10.5" wheel on the front. He told me that with the 285/30 20" PS4s*, the max. possible offset is 14. That's what they went with now.
…and I was told that et12 was a safe bet, and that’s what was suggested to me. We’re talking about mm here too, and if the other thread’s 19x10 et11 is rubbing with 285s, then 10.5 et15, 14 and 12 are all looking suspect.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 04:08 AM   #36
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
…and I was told that et12 was a safe bet, and that’s what was suggested to me. We’re talking about mm here too, and if the other thread’s 19x10 et11 is rubbing with 285s, then 10.5 et15, 14 and 12 are all looking suspect.
ET12 is a safe bet, but with 275, not 285. That's what i figured so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 04:17 AM   #37
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ET12 is a safe bet, but with 275, not 285. That's what i figured so far.
Unfortunately to me it’s beginning to look like nothing’s a safe bet on these. Every time there seems to be consensus about what works/should work, we hear anecdotes about rubbing. By my math, both et12 and et14/15 may rub with 285s, if 10 et11 rubs with 285s. It will be very close.

I’m beginning to regret ordering wheels for this car, instead of just sticking with the 826Ms and oem tires.

Last edited by HorsePower; 03-03-2022 at 04:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 05:28 AM   #38
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately to me it’s beginning to look like nothing’s a safe bet on these. Every time there seems to be consensus about what works/should work, we hear anecdotes about rubbing. By my math, both et12 and et14/15 may rub with 285s, if 10 et11 rubs with 285s. It will be very close.

I’m beginning to regret ordering wheels for this car, instead of just sticking with the 826Ms and oem tires.
It's also highly dependable on what tire you go for. the 285/30 PS4s* from BMW is pretty much the widest 285 you find out there. So if you go for a 275/30 20", you should be fine. But the 275 will be pretty streched on that 10.5" wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 06:52 AM   #39
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Quote:

It's also highly dependable on what tire you go for. the 285/30 PS4s* from BMW is pretty much the widest 285 you find out there. So if you go for a 275/30 20", you should be fine. But the 275 will be pretty streched on that 10.5" wheel.
Its a lot of heartache for 10mm of width…I haven't seen a setup that gets material increases in contact patch thats worth it.. 285f295r is …meh

RSfuture put 305s up front and 325 in rear with fender flares on their art of attack m4 which would be a great setup, if it actually fit. I seriously doubt there is clearance at lock and flares are barely reaching over the tires.
Attached Images

12-31-2022, 10:49 PM   #40
quickv3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp. xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswcars View Post
The guys from Basic Performance Korea just posted this, they mounted a square set of Vossen HF-5's on their G80 M3.

Specs are 20x10.5 ET10 all around, with 295/30/20 tires.

Looks perfect IMO, nice meaty stance all around.

Car is lowered on KW V4 coilovers.
Anyone know if this shop used spacers IN ADDITION to the Vossen setup (shown) here? This is only a 10mm more negative offset than factory and the rears look like they stick out more than my car which is running 12mm spacers out back.

I actually love this looks - but am curious if this is simply a wheel / tire combo - or if spacers are also being used here.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may know.
2014 EVO X MR Arctic White Metallic

Last edited by quickv3; 01-01-2023 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0