BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

04-20-2024, 03:35 PM   #1
lewylew
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Just changed brakes now brake malfunction warning HELP

As title says changed brakes now brake malfunction code and others(I am sure these are do to brake issue).
I have change the brakes before and had no issue. Only thing I did different was I had to turn rear pistons in not sure if I did that last time(car was fairly new). Any help would be appreciated. I have a track day Monday but cant go with this issue. 2024 M4 comp xdrive
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 12:01 AM   #2
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Ummm, yeah, if you didn’t put the back brakes into service mode, you probably just fucked up your EPB, which will throw those errors. You need software to do the job right by putting the back calipers in service mode which retracts the servo motors in them all the way back so you can compress the piston back without messing that up.

If you did do that, then once the new pads are in and calipers are reinstalled, you’d have to take it out of service mode or you’ll also get those same errors.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6599.00
      04-21-2024, 07:26 AM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Did you used a Torx bit to retract the EPB all the way and you forgot to re-tighten before starting the car? If yes, click the parking brake button to off, take off the EPB motors and use a T45 to adjust the pads so they touch, then back them off till the pads just free up. Then you should be able to reassemble, click the EPB button on and then off, and it should learn the positions again.
      04-21-2024, 08:38 AM   #4
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Like Swank and TopJimmy said, you have to either put the brakes in service mode which will retract the screw piston in the electronic parking brake OR remove the electronic parking brake motor and retract the piston.

Some of the DIYs out there (even by the vendors) just show that rear piston being forced in with no explanation.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 08:58 AM   #5
lewylew
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Yep didn't do any off that. Found bimmerlink and ordered an odblink. Putinto service mode then back out and reset codes all appears to be better now. Thanks

the Bimmerlink shows a DCS fault without a clearing option. Not sure that is a concern have no lights on dash.
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5460.00
      04-21-2024, 09:54 AM   #6
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Drive around slow speed in circles both ways in a parking lot. The DSC may be readiness fault for that stability control to reset. Normally it wouldn’t happen from the work you did IF you had properly done it from the start with service mode for the rear brakes. It’s possible when you tripped all the errors, you also tripped the readiness recalibration for traction and stability that would normally happen only when servicing the brakes for a brake bleed via ABS module.

Try that and see. Just drive straight and then turn and do a circle one way and then the other way and straight again. Slow speed, not fast.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 06:59 PM   #7
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

You don't need Software; You don't need to remove the motor. You just need to make sure you activate the parking brake prior to depressing the brake pedal (this will tension the pad to the rotor and prevent the car from beliving there is a fault at that wheel / brake.

I done this procedure (turning the piston in) a half dozen times. It has always worked. BMW has a published procedure that doesn't require any software for the G80/82 or removing the motor.
Appreciate 1
Sonic RR118.50