BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

03-06-2022, 03:19 AM   #23
BMWM4CX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molina330 View Post
Hi guys, i have annoying brake squeal. The service writer at BMW Ftlauderdale told me it's a common problem with M cars, but how is this acceptable? I love the car but the brakes make me feel like im driving a beat up old car.
There has to be over 100 posts on "brake squeal" between here and Facebook groups. I want to bang my head on the desk, everytime I read one of these threads. Just sell the car, and get a Prius.

Some 150-0 stops, and the brakes wont make any noise. I have 3,800 miles on my 22 xDrive and my CCBs don't even make noise, and they're the ones that are known to be bad with brake noise. Get a pressure washer, or go to the magic wand car wash, and pressure wash the rotors off.

Get that trapped brake dust out of there, making sure the drilled holes in the rotors are cleaned out. The rotors get a glazing over them if you don't drive them hard. You have to knock that top coat off of the rotors, every once in a while.

The brake dust gets trapped between the pad and the rotor, like taking a beer bottle, and blowing across the top of it, creating the proper pitch, that makes sound. Knock all of that shit off, with some solid stops.
Finally. Common sense has been spoken! 🙌🏻
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13477.50
      03-06-2022, 07:44 AM   #24
Molina330
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M4COMP View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you, honestly, it's not so much of researching on here, than to vent about how this is just accepted and not fixed.
The problem with attempting to fix the "noise" that people are only getting when they dont get on them hard, is that when you go with a less dusty compound, you don't get the performance you get with the current pads.

It's one of those things where you have to have either one, or the other, but not both. Do you want the brakes to stop in 96 feet from 60, or do you want to get less dusty pads, and have the car take 110-120 feet to stop from 60? Brembo chooses to stick to the 96 feet, and BMW put them on your track car, for that reason. If you want quiet brakes, we could all just get an 330i.
The thing is if you use them they won't squeak. Don't drive the car like it's a Prius. Take it from 70-20 mph a few time and then come and tel me about how much it squeaks…
Does the Prius come manual?
Appreciate 4
Limegrntaln13477.50
GoodGuyAvi1495.50
SpinalTap109.50
      03-07-2022, 05:52 PM   #25
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M4COMP View Post
I like this guy

But exactly you said it perfectly. The only squeaks I have ever had are at low speaks during break in while it's raining

And a few trips to mexico and back fix it real fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywaddyF56 View Post
Finally. Common sense has been spoken! ����
It just makes sense to me. With over 100k driven with Brembos, this is what's worked for me. If you drive it like a commuter, in stop and go traffic, they're going to get gunked up, and make noise. I took a trip to Santa Cruz, yesterday my rotors got a real nice burnishing.

Quote:
Does the Prius come manual?
Owners, manual? Of course.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-04-2023, 09:30 AM   #26
Accentu8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY24 Porsche Taycan

Garage List
Quote:
The pads are similar, or even the same as the ones on my Type R and my C7, just branded Brembo pads. I stayed on them, and they stayed quiet.
Please stop saying Brembos just squeal. In addition to a ‘23 840 that is squealing, we have a ‘21 Mustang GT with Brembos and regardless of ambient temp or driving/braking style they NEVER make any noise whatsoever! We’re at over 3500 miles on GT and have never taken the inordinate cleaning step you’ve prescribed in multiple threads, nor did we ever do the elaborate bedding. Less than 700 on the 8 and they squeal on every stop regardless of ambient temp or whether we brake hard, medium or slow. There may be some inherent low volume squeak with M brakes, but no car should squeal to the extent that our 8 is or the extent that others have described.

And even if it were all Brembos or high performance brakes then we should all hear squealing when we’re near another high performance car that’s braking and I’ve been around some; Only car I ever hear squealing is our 8.

Curious, do you work for BMW??

MY24 Audi SQ5 Prestige | Mythos black metallic | Magma red Nappa

Retired: MY23 BMW 840i Coupe | MY21 Audi SQ5 | MY19 Audi A6
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 01:40 PM   #27
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If these brakes didn’t “just squeal” you wouldn’t bother reading multiple threads about it. You replied to this thread, and liked a comment on another brake squeal thread.

BMW has already had class action lawsuits on brake squeal from a number of years ago. Type Brembo brake squeal into a Google search, and you will see nearly every manufacturer that produces vehicles that come with Brembo brakes, from the factory, the brakes make noise.

Look at previous model years of Mustangs. Brake squeal. 2021 yours don’t squeal. Ok, so, Ford is tired of people complaining about it, so they develop their own pads for the car that give you 90% of the braking with no noise.

Straight from Porsches video on noisy brakes. “If you are experiencing brake noise, our professionals at Porsche are more than happy to determine whether it is a maintenance issue or A NATURAL OCCURENCE.” If bmw made a video on brake noise, it would likely say the same thing.

Take for example the overall size of a brake rotor. An 8” rotor has far less surface area and the outside edge of the rotor is closer to the inside center of the hub, as opposed to a 15 or 16” rotor. Now you have double the surface area between the outer edge and the inner, center point. Applying a clamping force to the outer edge of the 8 inch rotor is going to be far more controllable than a clamping force out at 16 inches.

Transfer this idea into linear feet. An Airbus A380 has a 261ft wingspan. During takeoff the wingtips can deflect up to 13 feet from center. Can you imagine seeing a wingtip deflect 13 feet? How much more wingtip control do you think the plane would have if the wings were only 20 feet long? You wouldn’t get 13 feet of wingtip deflection.

Apply the same concept back into brakes. The 16” outer edge of the rotor, is going to deflect more under braking, which in turn, can cause certain harmonics. This phenomenon is known as stick slip.

Engineering description

Stick–slip can be described as surfaces alternating between sticking to each other and sliding over each other, with a corresponding change in the force of friction. Typically, the static friction coefficient (a heuristic number) between two surfaces is larger than the kinetic friction coefficient. If an applied force is large enough to overcome the static friction, then the reduction of the friction to the kinetic friction can cause a sudden jump in the velocity of the movement.

A brake rotor and a pad friction surface, out at 16” vibrating thousands of times per second, causes a harmonic frequency. Alter the friction material, reducing or eliminating stick-slip, and the sound lessens or goes away.

I’ve never had an issue with the cars that I’ve owned that have Brembos. And I’m sure it has everything to do with my driving style. If you drive it like you’re wearing high heels, they’re probably going to make noise.

Here’s Porsches explanation. Which I know you saw in the other thread I posted in. But you have to watch it to understand.

And no I don’t work for BMW. Why would I have to?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fUNHb9O52WQ&feature=shares

Appreciate 3
      01-04-2023, 05:39 PM   #28
Accentu8
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If these brakes didn’t “just squeal” you wouldn’t bother reading multiple threads about it. You replied to this thread, and liked a comment on another brake squeal thread.

BMW has already had class action lawsuits on brake squeal from a number of years ago. Type Brembo brake squeal into a Google search, and you will see nearly every manufacturer that produces vehicles that come with Brembo brakes, from the factory, the brakes make noise.

Look at previous model years of Mustangs. Brake squeal. 2021 yours don’t squeal. Ok, so, Ford is tired of people complaining about it, so they develop their own pads for the car that give you 90% of the braking with no noise.

Straight from Porsches video on noisy brakes. “If you are experiencing brake noise, our professionals at Porsche are more than happy to determine whether it is a maintenance issue or A NATURAL OCCURENCE.” If bmw made a video on brake noise, it would likely say the same thing.

Take for example the overall size of a brake rotor. An 8” rotor has far less surface area and the outside edge of the rotor is closer to the inside center of the hub, as opposed to a 15 or 16” rotor. Now you have double the surface area between the outer edge and the inner, center point. Applying a clamping force to the outer edge of the 8 inch rotor is going to be far more controllable than a clamping force out at 16 inches.

Transfer this idea into linear feet. An Airbus A380 has a 261ft wingspan. During takeoff the wingtips can deflect up to 13 feet from center. Can you imagine seeing a wingtip deflect 13 feet? How much more wingtip control do you think the plane would have if the wings were only 20 feet long? You wouldn’t get 13 feet of wingtip deflection.

Apply the same concept back into brakes. The 16” outer edge of the rotor, is going to deflect more under braking, which in turn, can cause certain harmonics. This phenomenon is known as stick slip.

Engineering description

Stick–slip can be described as surfaces alternating between sticking to each other and sliding over each other, with a corresponding change in the force of friction. Typically, the static friction coefficient (a heuristic number) between two surfaces is larger than the kinetic friction coefficient. If an applied force is large enough to overcome the static friction, then the reduction of the friction to the kinetic friction can cause a sudden jump in the velocity of the movement.

A brake rotor and a pad friction surface, out at 16” vibrating thousands of times per second, causes a harmonic frequency. Alter the friction material, reducing or eliminating stick-slip, and the sound lessens or goes away.

I’ve never had an issue with the cars that I’ve owned that have Brembos. And I’m sure it has everything to do with my driving style. If you drive it like you’re wearing high heels, they’re probably going to make noise.

Here’s Porsches explanation. Which I know you saw in the other thread I posted in. But you have to watch it to understand.

And no I don’t work for BMW. Why would I have to?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fUNHb9O52WQ&feature=shares
Our Mustang GT has Brembos…still no squeal. I’ve driven/owned other vehicles from BMW that had Brembos, again, no squeal. The “all Brembos squeal” is a cop-out and even if it were a factual statement, still doesn’t mean it’s right for them to do so.

And all the people who do think that’s okay is likely the reason manufacturers don’t fix it.

I wondered about you being employed by BMW because you seem to be vehemently spreading their propaganda of “this is normal” on this issue.

If it was actually normal then all cars with Brembos would squeal and I know for a fact that not all do, so it can’t possibly be normal.

Also, let’s talk brake rotor size…larger rotor doesn’t stop better. Look it up. They make ridiculously large brake rotors then sell that they stop better so they can charge more money.

Appreciate 1
Sparky_12362.00
      01-04-2023, 07:08 PM   #29
Sparky_12
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp xDrive Convertibl

Had two M5s before this and neither of them squealed. I went ahead and changed the pads and no more noise and the dust was significantly reduced as well. Easy.
Appreciate 1
Accentu8703.50
      01-04-2023, 07:48 PM   #30
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You’re right. You’re getting my definition flipped all around, here. I’m not saying it right, or correct. I’m saying it’s common. Type “Brembo brake squeal” into Google and it’s endless. I eplained the Mustang brakes to you. I already said Ford probably changed the pads, because they were tired of hearing people drive their performance cars as commuters causing the brakes to make noise.

And if it was bullshit, NHSTA wouldn’t have a GM service bulletin, posted, specifically outlining “Brembo Brake Squeal.”

Again, it doesn’t affect me, because of my driving style.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 08:44 PM   #31
Accentu8
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I’ve tried braking my new 8 with every level of brake pressure you can imagine, still squeals on that stop and every subsequent stop regardless. Also, as is mentioned in the TSB you posted (thank you btw) it’s not always possible to drive and brake aggressively due to traffic and as I live in a very large city where there is almost always traffic and a lot of people driving in high heels (I’m a woman and still think that’s hilarious) I don’t have a lot of choice in the matter most of the time so have to listen to this horribly loud, grating squealing.

My dealer has my car and has promised resolution or buy back so we’ll see I guess. I’m really hoping for resolution as I’ve heard from others where certain actions resolved for them. I LOVE my new car and excluding the brake squeal think it’s the best car I’ve ever had.

Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13477.50
      02-13-2023, 11:47 AM   #32
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by determined View Post
A constant high-pitched squeal while driving is usually the sound of a built-in wear indicator signaling that it's time for new brake pads. As the pads deteriorate and become thinner, a small metal tab, similar to a needle on a vinyl record, contacts the rotor surface to alert you that new pads are required.
Its a little more severe.

Appreciate 1
      02-13-2023, 03:58 PM   #33
Sparky_12
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp xDrive Convertibl

Quote:
Its a little more severe.
Yeah, I’m right there with you. My brakes sounded exactly like yours. The typical reaction is “You’re not using them like they were designed. Do a couple 80 mph runs and slam on them to heat them up.” That’s all and fine but didn’t work for me longer than a couple days.

I put a set of Carbotechs on my G83 and have heard virtually no noise and very little brake dust. I’m not sure I’d recommend them as there’s a well-documented clicking noise that, I’m told, isn’t a problem but isn’t acceptable to me. I’ll do iSweep for the next go around.

Good luck.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13477.50
Rodizzle397.00
      02-13-2023, 04:57 PM   #34
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky_12 View Post
Yeah, I’m right there with you. My brakes sounded exactly like yours. The typical reaction is “You’re not using them like they were designed. Do a couple 80 mph runs and slam on them to heat them up.” That’s all and fine but didn’t work for me longer than a couple days.

I put a set of Carbotechs on my G83 and have heard virtually no noise and very little brake dust. I’m not sure I’d recommend them as there’s a well-documented clicking noise that, I’m told, isn’t a problem but isn’t acceptable to me. I’ll do iSweep for the next go around.

Good luck.
The video is of someone else’s car. I have CCBs, but they make the same noise, on occasion. But I’ve only heard it twice in 11,800 miles. I just pressure wash the brakes really well. I’d be using an iron remover if I had steel brakes. Iron remover breaks down all of that junk.

Appreciate 1
      02-19-2023, 07:26 AM   #35
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

I had CCBs on my G80 before I swapped them with someone's standard brakes. They were dead silent from the day of delivery to about 800 kms during which at that time I swapped them over for the standard steel brakes. Once I got the standard steel brakes, they started making squealing sounds if I did a lot of heavy traffic rush hour driving. When I went hard on the brakes and did some hard stops as if I'm bedding in new brakes, the squealing completely went away. The squealing comes back when I don't do hard braking anymore. I then switched to EBC Yellowstuff brake pads once I passed the break in service and the squealing has completely gone even if I do bumper to bumper traffic soft braking. I guess the more aggressive compound of the EBC's prevents that glazing from forming. The brake dust is also a little bit less as well which is a bonus. If anyone don't like squealing, I highly recommend the EBC Yellows
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 08:32 PM   #36
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

This is common complaint with the current generation of M3/M4. Supposedly, compound on brake pads “changed” to mitigate brake dust production, but as trade off is the increased noise. This for me has been an issue from day one even in humidified environment of FL. It’s a terrible sound, but I have noticed decreased incidence with rain and moisture. Plusses and minuses as always.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 09:15 AM   #37
shawndean22
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 (on order)

It is not the Brembos I had Camaro SS and GT350 and they did not squeal.
It is the compound they use in the pads it is annoying though.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 10:20 AM   #38
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
I had this issue on my 1k mile 2023 G80. I would get a high pitched squeal on soft braking. I read another thread on here that suggested finding a back road and doing some hard braking runs. I did that for a couple of minutes and the squeal is completed gone.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13477.50
      04-30-2023, 07:04 PM   #39
Reprosal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exar Kun View Post
I had this issue on my 1k mile 2023 G80. I would get a high pitched squeal on soft braking. I read another thread on here that suggested finding a back road and doing some hard braking runs. I did that for a couple of minutes and the squeal is completed gone.
It will come back in a few days
Appreciate 1
spridge647.50
      05-02-2023, 03:05 PM   #40
M3-san
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3xD, 535xi

Get used to it, I have. I just think of it as a way of directing people's attention to my awesome G8X. Lol.
      05-30-2023, 02:34 PM   #41
Reprosal
First Lieutenant
Rep

So I finally got the IS1500 pads installed. So far only 300km on them but.. NO SQUEALING. Bite is actually a bit better than OEM so far for me.

Will update this post as the weather changes and more km are drive.
Appreciate 1
Sparky_12362.00
      06-07-2023, 06:32 PM   #42
Pizzathehut04
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW G80 M3 Comp

Garage List
Going to a BMW service center wouldn't be any help I'm assuming. Only solution would be replacing the pads?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 07:42 PM   #43
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprosal View Post
So I finally got the IS1500 pads installed. So far only 300km on them but.. NO SQUEALING. Bite is actually a bit better than OEM so far for me.

Will update this post as the weather changes and more km are drive.
Did u have dealer install them or Indy shop?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 11:35 PM   #44
Reprosal
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
Did u have dealer install them or Indy shop?
Stealership. No indy shops where I live wanted to touch them. Worth every penny though. No more embarassing squealing.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602217.00