BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

02-06-2022, 01:34 PM   #1
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Color and swirl marks - how bad does blue show?

A preamble: I know it can be argued that with perfect washing technique, swirl marks are entirely avoidable. For the sake of argument, let's set that aside: my cars spend a lot of time outside, get dirty, and are frequently (carefully) washed.

Now, on to my question: I'm struggling with what color to order and it has to do, in part, with swirl marks. I usually get white to silver (lighter colors) because they show swirl marks less to practically not at all. For my M3, I like Portimao blue, but I suspect this will show swirl marks more easily than silver. Anyone have any experience with this color blue or similar and can speak to swirlage propensity? Else, I'm leaning toward skyscraper gray metallic.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 04:06 PM   #2
Topcarbon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 m4

Ppf and ceramic
Good neutral balanced shampoo
Leaf blower to dry
Get the color you want.
You will be fine
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 04:38 AM   #3
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcarbon View Post
Ppf and ceramic
Good neutral balanced shampoo
Leaf blower to dry
Get the color you want.
You will be fine
+1 (what I'm doing with Tanzanite Blue on M4 and Black Sapphire on our other BMW). No marks.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 10:37 AM   #4
aj_g80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 720s

i have twilight purple ive washed it twice so far and seeing some swirl marks, i personally think you should get whatever color you want swirl marks are just one of things you will have to deal with and when its noticable just get it paint corrected. or just do ppf which sould help the problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 02:58 AM   #5
GregM4
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: VERDE ERMES G82 M4 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
A preamble: I know it can be argued that with perfect washing technique, swirl marks are entirely avoidable. For the sake of argument, let's set that aside: my cars spend a lot of time outside, get dirty, and are frequently (carefully) washed.

Now, on to my question: I'm struggling with what color to order and it has to do, in part, with swirl marks. I usually get white to silver (lighter colors) because they show swirl marks less to practically not at all. For my M3, I like Portimao blue, but I suspect this will show swirl marks more easily than silver. Anyone have any experience with this color blue or similar and can speak to swirlage propensity? Else, I'm leaning toward skyscraper gray metallic.

Thanks in advance.
Get the colour you love.

I had TBII and love it, it showed every swirl, but regular maintenance and all good. Would not hold back. Always get the colour you love IMO.
SOLD - E93 Burgundy
Appreciate 0