BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

02-14-2022, 07:43 PM   #1
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue g80

How to polish/correct swirl marks on bi color rims and the black trims

While washing my car I didn't thoroughly clean the rims before drying with a towel. Now the black/gloss portion of the 826 rims are micro scratched. Like swirl marks you see on a black car. How and what products will be good to polish those out?

Also, what are some good products to use on the black trims (side skirts, diffuser... ) for getting those annoying swirl marks out?

I have this product called (Nu finish) that works wonders on correcting car paint. Not sure about how it will work on the rims or the black trims.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 09:49 PM   #2
M2 CCO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [8.75]
Nu finish is more of a filler for swirls and scratches and not necessarily a paint correction if memory serves. It's more temporary in nature, but like a wax, it will eventually wash away and require reapplication to mask/fill the imperfections.

Paint correcting with a polisher will permanently remove them from your clear coat unless you add more back via the wash process you follow.

For the black plastics I've had good results with various polishing compounds like Sonax perfect finish applied with my Rupes nano polisher. For heavier swirls I've gone thru a multi stage polish and started with a heavier cut compound like carpro ultracut and finished with sonax with either a yellow or white rupes polishing pad.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13473.50
      02-15-2022, 02:04 AM   #3
GregM4
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: VERDE ERMES G82 M4 Xdrive

PPF on the black shiny parts of the car from day one.
SOLD - E93 Burgundy
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13473.50
      02-15-2022, 03:43 AM   #4
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
As mentioned, I have a Rupes Nano with Sonax perfect finish compound. I actually had to take heavy scuff marks out the side sill on my M4 from new (this was covered in white plastic when the car was delivered and must have happened at the dealer while getting prepared). I've only given it one pass and will refine when the wether is better but already it's taken the worst out
Attached Images

G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13473.50
      02-15-2022, 04:43 AM   #5
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 CCO View Post
Nu finish is more of a filler for swirls and scratches and not necessarily a paint correction if memory serves. It's more temporary in nature, but like a wax, it will eventually wash away and require reapplication to mask/fill the imperfections.

Paint correcting with a polisher will permanently remove them from your clear coat unless you add more back via the wash process you follow.

For the black plastics I've had good results with various polishing compounds like Sonax perfect finish applied with my Rupes nano polisher. For heavier swirls I've gone thru a multi stage polish and started with a heavier cut compound like carpro ultracut and finished with sonax with either a yellow or white rupes polishing pad.

Gotcha!! So can you use Sonax polish on the rims as well?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13473.50
      02-15-2022, 04:46 AM   #6
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregM4 View Post
PPF on the black shiny parts of the car from day one.
Getting my front end, mirror caps, headlights and black side skirts ppf today. Unfortunately I had to wait two weeks for this appointment and all this happened in the meantime

The rims though I screwed up. Oh wellz
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 04:49 AM   #7
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Install View Post
As mentioned, I have a Rupes Nano with Sonax perfect finish compound. I actually had to take heavy scuff marks out the side sill on my M4 brand from new (this was covered in white plastic when the car was delivered and must have happened at the dealer while getting prepared). I've only given it one pass and will refine when the wether is better but already it's taken the worst out
Happened at the dealer? Man I wouldn’t have taken delivery of it until they fixed it. Faults on them.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 05:19 AM   #8
GregM4
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: VERDE ERMES G82 M4 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murse85 View Post
Getting my front end, mirror caps, headlights and black side skirts ppf today. Unfortunately I had to wait two weeks for this appointment and all this happened in the meantime

The rims though I screwed up. Oh wellz
My car arrives next week. Dealer not removing any protection. This will be done at the detailer. Hate dealers doing any of this.

I'm getting everything you mentioned.
SOLD - E93 Burgundy
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 06:34 AM   #9
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

The answers above are correct. NuFinish is just hiding the swirls. You need to polish to remove them. A machine will be significantly easier to correct with, but on some of the plastic and smaller areas I've had some success with Meguiar's 105 (aggressive) and 205 (finishing) by hand. Good products and easy to use. The wheels are going to be a challenge due to the small and hard to reach nature of the surfaces. You may need a skilled professional to help.
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13473.50
      02-15-2022, 06:59 AM   #10
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Quote:
As mentioned, I have a Rupes Nano with Sonax perfect finish compound. I actually had to take heavy scuff marks out the side sill on my M4 brand from new (this was covered in white plastic when the car was delivered and must have happened at the dealer while getting prepared). I've only given it one pass and will refine when the wether is better but already it's taken the worst out
Happened at the dealer? Man I wouldn’t have taken delivery of it until they fixed it. Faults on them.
Dealers no longer have detail shops as prep departments. Most deals run the cars through a car was and thats it..back in the 90s when my dad and I were pinstriping new cars the dealers would do clay bar, polish, wet sanding, compounding, dent repair…all in house. No more. Wash and go baby…
      02-15-2022, 07:06 AM   #11
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Happened at the dealer? Man I wouldn't have taken delivery of it until they fixed it. Faults on them.
I actually told them not to clean the car as well, could only imagine it would be worse if I did.
Because I have a range of Rupes DA machines I was comfortable doing it myself.
As you can see in the delivery picture the area with damage was protected, so it happened in the couple of days between then and collection day.
Attached Images

G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 08:57 PM   #12
M2 CCO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [8.75]
Quote:
Quote:

Gotcha!! So can you use Sonax polish on the rims as well?
Yes you could but using a machine to polish the black portions of the wheel spokes will be very difficult without access to a small rotary tool. I've seen a few different styles of them, but I don't have one personally. I did a quick search on Amazon and you would need something like this for the right spots on the wheel surfaces. Don't know if this product is any good but hopefully this helps with the description

SGCB 41PCS Powerful Mini Detail Polisher 5/8" Thread 20,000RPM w/Assorted Pads Polishing Foam Pad Kit Comfort Grip Flexible Rotary Polisher Shaft Pencil Style Micro Die Grinder Set Extension Drill https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FNTR1BZ...DPAH9FP21BF8XK
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13473.50
      02-17-2022, 12:40 AM   #13
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes you could but using a machine to polish the black portions of the wheel spokes will be very difficult without access to a small rotary tool. I've seen a few different styles of them, but I don't have one personally. I did a quick search on Amazon and you would need something like this for the right spots on the wheel surfaces. Don't know if this product is any good but hopefully this helps with the description

SGCB 41PCS Powerful Mini Detail Polisher 5/8" Thread 20,000RPM w/Assorted Pads Polishing Foam Pad Kit Comfort Grip Flexible Rotary Polisher Shaft Pencil Style Micro Die Grinder Set Extension Drill https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FNTR1BZ...DPAH9FP21BF8XK
Awesome!! Thanks for that info and clarifying.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13473.50
      02-17-2022, 09:24 AM   #14
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

My car was in stock at the dealer before I bought it, and I presume in the showroom, and it had gawd-awful scratches on the black plastic lower trim. I had to use my little rupes and polishing compound to get it out.

Honestly though, for the wheels, I suggest that you learn to live with it. Wheels take a horrible beating between crap on the roads, hot burning brake pad compound and dust. Unless you just want to get totally OCD on them every time you wash the car, it's just a Sisyphean level of frustration to keep them pristine.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:46 PM   #15
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Unless you just want to get totally OCD on them every time you wash the car, it's just a Sisyphean level of frustration to keep them pristine.
I'm OCD on the wheels every time I wash the car (will be more so, once the back-ordered pressure washer pump arrives). I use Wheel Woolies (all three sizes), following by a soft-bristle brush for the polished faces, then a hard-bristle brush for the tire sidewalls. I wash wheels/tires first, then the car. After the rest of the car's dried, I turn an electric leaf blower on each rim, then wipe the last water droplets with wheels-only microfiber towels.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 07:43 PM   #16
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Awesome!! Thanks for that info and clarifying.
This is the only way to go. You'll need a rotary polisher, though, because this is just an attachment. Not a dual action polisher, you need something that doesn't oscillate.

Second option is to get in there, by hand, with some Sonax Perfect finish, and hand polish with a microfiber. This will be a lot of work, and a lot slower.

Appreciate 0