Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

07-14-2023, 02:01 PM   #1
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

CCB sounds like a school bus + vibes

So, I know squeals are normal on CCB.
I’ve had nothing but quiet braking until recently, about 2k miles in.

This is a bit different, sounds like a school bus and I can feel the vibrations through the wheel. It reverberates through the front end, which kinda surprised me.

Happens only on light braking though, and hard braking makes it go away. It’s not constant, only happens once in awhile on light braking.

The solution is to brake hard a few times, ya?

Do I need to do some 60-0 braking runs or will this go away on it’s own over time?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 02:34 PM   #2
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 m3c

You're just getting started on this wonderful journey of CCB brakes.
It's only downhill from here on.
Nothing really "solves" this as It's inherent to the construction and the materials.
Yes, you can do the full bedding in procedure (it's a bit more elaborate than just hast 60-0 braking) but the sound will come back eventually.
If you push the car a bit harder, the brakes will be making all kinds of sounds when heat cycling them.
Appreciate 1
FTS387.50
      07-14-2023, 02:37 PM   #3
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
Nothing really "solves" this as It's inherent to the construction and the materials.
Yes, you can do the full bedding in procedure (it's a bit more elaborate than just hast 60-0 braking) but the sound will come back eventually.
If you push the car a bit harder, the brakes will be making all kinds of sounds when heat cycling them.

Thank you for the honesty.

Ok, but they still gold at least.
Appreciate 1
BIGW0RM3156.00
      07-15-2023, 10:30 PM   #4
StephenWyker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90, G80

Garage List
Quote:
I'm on my 3rd car with ceramics and don't know where all the hate comes from? I've always daily'ed them, and really have nothing but positive feedback.

I'd had some rocks get stuck in the dust shield (which also happens with steel brakes) but never really had any consistent issues with with squealing or other noises. Now and again, there will be some squeaks but usually go away quickly.

I do find your statement about working them harder to not be the experience I've had. I've found the only time there have ever been any noises have been cold or recently wet, but when warmed up they are grippy as fuck and super quiet.

I guess to each his own.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13472.00
      07-16-2023, 02:05 AM   #5
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenWyker View Post
I'm on my 3rd car with ceramics and don't know where all the hate comes from? I've always daily'ed them, and really have nothing but positive feedback.

I'd had some rocks get stuck in the dust shield (which also happens with steel brakes) but never really had any consistent issues with with squealing or other noises. Now and again, there will be some squeaks but usually go away quickly.

I do find your statement about working them harder to not be the experience I've had. I've found the only time there have ever been any noises have been cold or recently wet, but when warmed up they are grippy as fuck and super quiet.

I guess to each his own.
you just mentioned you daily the car. No idea what your driving profile is but I am guessing you don't track it seriously.
Ceramic brakes operating temperature is much higher than iron brakes. To really heat cycle them you need to get up to 800-900C, which is something regular drivers may never even come to in their lifetime.
After that and when they are properly burnished the brakes will make noise occasionally even with stock pads. There is no way they wouldn't. And it's completely normal.

I don't get this whole point of being proud of your ceramics not squeaking btw, this just means you're not using them to the full potentual. All high end cars with CCBs squeak like mad around track and that's a cool thing showing they're being used as they're supposed to.

It's kinda like getting CCBs and being proud that they are nice looking and shiny. When I see CCB discs with no brake pad deposit on them, it just shows they're not even remotely used properly.

To each their own indeed.

Last edited by beamlord; 07-16-2023 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      07-16-2023, 02:14 AM   #6
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post

Thank you for the honesty.

Ok, but they still gold at least.
Is it similar to this?
https://youtu.be/nn-WpaNe2w0
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      07-16-2023, 03:57 AM   #7
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Is it similar to this?
https://youtu.be/nn-WpaNe2w0
It is not similar to that, it is exactly that.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 04:23 AM   #8
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Red face

Quote:
It is not similar to that, it is exactly that.
Yes, well you have nothing to worry about - that's for sure.

If you want to try this, warm up your brakes with 10 semi-hard 80-30 stops, then do 3-4 hard braking slowdowns (almost to ABS).

In the following few minutes/hours/days that sound may be absent, but it's definitely coming back.
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      07-16-2023, 04:26 AM   #9
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes, well you have nothing to worry about - that's for sure.

If you want to try this, warm up your brakes with 10 semi-hard 80-30 stops, then do 3-4 hard braking slowdowns (almost to ABS).

In the following few minutes/hours/days that sound may be absent, but it's definitely coming back.
Cool, no worries.
I’ll consider it a feature, not a bug.

Thnx 4 the tips.
Hard braking does seem to help for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 04:15 PM   #10
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Cool, no worries.
I’ll consider it a feature, not a bug.

Thnx 4 the tips.
Hard braking does seem to help for awhile.
Nevertheless, do try some hard braking runs - cosnsitently, at least 15-20 good slowdowns. You may be able to burn that glazing off the discs and get rid of the train horn for awhile.

Can you make some fotos of your rotors up close?
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      08-08-2023, 10:34 PM   #11
DO444
Banned
Rep

Ok,

I’m a lazy fuck, sorry.
Will these work?

See if you can guess which is the Left vs Right rotor. Only the right makes noise.

They look exactly the same to me. I don’t think there is anything wrong with them. I don’t see any scratch marks like a rock was stuck or anything. Just the way they are I guess.

Interstingly? Letting off the brake for even half a second and then reapplying makes the noise stop, but I think I’m getting to the point of actually just leaning into the sound and making a point to have everyone around me look in my direction.

That’s right bitches, my brakes are gold and they sound like a school bus.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 07:29 AM   #12
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok,

I’m a lazy fuck, sorry.
Will these work?

See if you can guess which is the Left vs Right rotor. Only the right makes noise.

They look exactly the same to me. I don’t think there is anything wrong with them. I don’t see any scratch marks like a rock was stuck or anything. Just the way they are I guess.

Interstingly? Letting off the brake for even half a second and then reapplying makes the noise stop, but I think I’m getting to the point of actually just leaning into the sound and making a point to have everyone around me look in my direction.

That’s right bitches, my brakes are gold and they sound like a school bus.
Your brakes are pristine - in a bad way. I see almost no pad material transfer.
You should do a proper burnishing, and with CCB's it's a bit more hardcore than regular brakes, because you need to get to temperatures way above 600-700C.
Train sound will be gone, and braking (especially from cold) will be improved a lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 04:07 PM   #13
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Your brakes are pristine - in a bad way. I see almost no pad material transfer.
You should do a proper burnishing, and with CCB's it's a bit more hardcore than regular brakes, because you need to get to temperatures way above 600-700C.
Train sound will be gone, and braking (especially from cold) will be improved a lot.
Ha ha ha
Thanks man!
That was hilarious to read.

I’m used to driving in a gentle way on the brakes. I go fast but I hit the brakes early enough and then ease into the stop that it’s smooth… like a normal person with respect for their passengers.

I will try some long hard braking on an empty road some Sunday afternoon. Good to know it’s nothing.

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
beamlord431.00
      08-13-2023, 10:26 PM   #14
Maximus_
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Wash thoroughly with a pressure washer, dry them with mild braking first and then do some hard braking from 100+mph speeds (at the track of course wink wink) - no more squicking.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 07:42 AM   #15
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_ View Post
Wash thoroughly with a pressure washer, dry them with mild braking first and then do some hard braking from 100+mph speeds (at the track of course wink wink) - no more squicking.
For the love of god, please, let us stop the pressure-wash-your-brakes nonsense, that's just a weird myth and has nothing effect on anything, especially the squealing and train horn sound which happens because of either glazed surfaces or wrong/absent pad material transfer, it's a certain sound modulation frequency - just physics.

Questions to ask yourself are:
1. How can you pressure wash pad material transfer that takes heat cycle of 500+ degrees C to burnish?
2. You are not "pressure washing" the back side of the rotors, how do they get magically "cleaned" ?
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2023, 08:44 AM   #16
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

LOL @ pressure washing removing pad material off rotors!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 09:00 AM   #17
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

I thought one of the benefits of CCBs was no noise, as well as little to brake dust?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 11:41 AM   #18
Maximus_
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
For the love of god, please, let us stop the pressure-wash-your-brakes nonsense, that's just a weird myth and has nothing effect on anything, especially the squealing and train horn sound which happens because of either glazed surfaces or wrong/absent pad material transfer, it's a certain sound modulation frequency - just physics.

Questions to ask yourself are:
1. How can you pressure wash pad material transfer that takes heat cycle of 500+ degrees C to burnish?
2. You are not "pressure washing" the back side of the rotors, how do they get magically "cleaned" ?
I don't need to ask myself any questions as my CCBs don't make noise. Must be doing something right.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 07:49 AM   #19
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't need to ask myself any questions as my CCBs don't make noise. Must be doing something right.
Interesting, how do you give an advice to remove "squicking" then. I.e., how would you even know...

As for doing it right..Each has their own definition of right
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 01:30 PM   #20
Schulminator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 SSG G80 Xdrive

Almost 4k on mine, no noises ever.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 11:31 AM   #21
SpeedtekG80
Rep