Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      03-18-2021, 01:08 AM   #46
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Looking forward to the numbers that CarWow gets once the AWD version is out.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 2
      03-18-2021, 02:23 AM   #47
dlk001
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Amazing times

I noted the following on Racebox data from Carwow

- 0 to 60, the Slope Level was +0.3%
- 1/4 mile, the Slope Level was 0 %
- 1/4 mile 11.60sec on the G80 M3
- 1/4 mile 11.62sec on the G82 M4

2009, E92 335i
2005, E90 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 02:56 AM   #48
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanast View Post
Anyone else amazed (in a bad way) that the new M3/4 is being compared to wagons and base 911. Oh my 🤯
This has been the way since the e46 M3. Some would say, the e36 M3.
The 911 is the standard for sports cars, so that is what is the next step up for many M3/M4 buyers, if they don’t already have one.
Many owners on here, often will lament, “Well, it’s P cars for me now.”
As far as the wagon, well the RS4 has historically been an M3 competitor, whether in wagon or Sedan form.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan25116.50
Sjokosaus199.50
JTO245276.00
flanast148.50
      03-18-2021, 05:58 AM   #49
nublu2u
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS

BMW certainly included the 911 in comparison data with the release of the E46 M3. Since then it has been the direct rivals from MB and Audi.

Haven't seen anything for G80/82, although I've read that BMW benchmarked against the F82 CS
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 06:06 AM   #50
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
One of the parents at kids school using new RS4 as next-level kid hauler. It doesn't look boring in person, looks pretty awesome.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      03-18-2021, 07:07 AM   #51
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Damn!!!!
It was more like 123.1mph, but awesome nonetheless!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 07:21 AM   #52
rideontwo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VaNOs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
G80*

It is yeah
Yes G80 and thanks for confirming. I like the color that's for sure.
Appreciate 1
Jcali861479.00
      03-18-2021, 08:02 AM   #53
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Had to stop watching, the video is a damn CarWow advertisement.
Appreciate 2
      03-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #54
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

G80 in my humble opinion is a winner across every category, regardless of metrics.

The wisdom of comparing a performance sedan with a touring / station wagon is a bit debatable. Both editions have a loyal fan base and direct comparison rarely produces a convincing result.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      03-18-2021, 10:50 AM   #55
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewted View Post
Had to stop watching, the video is a damn CarWow advertisement.
well of course he sometimes puts in ad's, it's in the channels name: carwow
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      03-18-2021, 02:15 PM   #56
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtavian View Post
Going back to a torque converter has helped the car launch much better than a DCT because it's loading the drivetrain through the torque converter and doesn't just shock the drivetrain like the DCT did and roast the tires. That's the only benefit of a torque converter vs DCT. I wonder how well it would launch if you brake boosted from a dig?
That's what launch control is doing. Do you mean something else?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 04:21 PM   #57
Machtavian
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABrian View Post
Quote:
Going back to a torque converter has helped the car launch much better than a DCT because it's loading the drivetrain through the torque converter and doesn't just shock the drivetrain like the DCT did and roast the tires. That's the only benefit of a torque converter vs DCT. I wonder how well it would launch if you brake boosted from a dig?
That's what launch control is doing. Do you mean something else?
I mean loading up the converter against the brake. Sometimes that works better than LC.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 05:41 PM   #58
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack San Marino Blue

Garage List
Hi folks, I thought I add in my thoughts.

My last car was a F82 M4 competition. I loved it but after it & two other previous BMW's last October I moved to a new 2020 RS4 Vorsprung.

I wanted a car that was still quick & fun but with more comfort for long journeys to mainland Europe. It's my only car so would be used as my daily to.

A few months in, here's what I know. I don't think it's quite as much as an occasion every time I drive it. That said it's still fun & it has a remarkable duality of personality. In that even though it rides on 20" wheels, it's remarkable how smooth & quiet the ride is. Yet click the RS button & it's an incredibly quick, wonderful to drive car. The interior finish is better than either of my last 3 BMW's. I previously owned a 635D, 640D GC & as i mentioned a M4 Comp.

I've driven the new M340i & thought it was a great car. I also did consider waiting until the new M3 or M4 arrived but didn't think they would have such broad spread of abilities. I figured it would probably be a car once again with a real sense of occasion each time one drives it however it just wouldn't have the same comfort level as a B9 RS4. Hence my decision.

For me I think it's the right one. In an ideal world I'd have kept my M4 Comp also. It was a special car. That said my RS4 still puts a huge smile on my face. It sounds better than my old M4. It's an incredibly accomplished car. Oh & I have a pan roof. I'd miss that & it's not avail on the new M4/M3.

Here's a link to a video of my current RS4

https://flic.kr/p/2kd9Cij

Here's a link a video of my previous M4 in San Marino blue with its winter wheels on. I'd like to see the new models in San Marino blue

I'm sure at some time I will be back. I'm still a big fan of BMW brand & especially M cars.

I'm also sure folks who buy the new model will love it.
Appreciate 3
Jcali861479.00
chicagofan0019147.50
clee1982797.50
      03-18-2021, 06:07 PM   #59
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermack View Post

My last car was a F82 M4 competition. I loved it but after it & two other previous BMW's last October I moved to a new 2020 RS4 Vorsprung.

I wanted a car that was still quick & fun but with more comfort for long journeys to mainland Europe. It's my only car so would be used as my daily to.

A few months in, here's what I know. I don't think it's quite as much as an occasion every time I drive it. That said it's still fun & it has a remarkable duality of personality. In that even though it rides on 20" wheels, it's remarkable how smooth & quiet the ride is. Yet click the RS button & it's an incredibly quick, wonderful to drive car. The interior finish is better than either of my last 3 BMW's. I previously owned a 635D, 640D GC & as i mentioned a M4 Comp.

I've driven the new M340i & thought it was a great car. I also did consider waiting until the new M3 or M4 arrived but didn't think they would have such broad spread of abilities. I figured it would probably be a car once again with a real sense of occasion each time one drives it however it just wouldn't have the same comfort level as a B9 RS4. Hence my decision.

For me I think it's the right one. In an ideal world I'd have kept my M4 Comp also. It was a special car. That said my RS4 still puts a huge smile on my face. It sounds better than my old M4. It's an incredibly accomplished car. Oh & I have a pan roof. I'd miss that & it's not avail on the new M4/M3.

Here's a link a video of my previous M4 in San Marino blue with its winter wheels on. I'd like to see the new models in San Marino blue

I'm sure at some time I will be back. I'm still a big fan of BMW brand & especially M cars.

Lol, that's my situation too.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 11:25 PM   #60
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4GTS View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

How do you find the RS4 compared to your F82? Is it a similar experience to mine?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 06:10 AM   #61
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
How do you find the RS4 compared to your F82? Is it a similar experience to mine?
Yes, I love it. I never got on with the M4, although things were improved with an i-step update and some wider rears I always felt it lacked something, mainly traction! ;-)

I went from M4 to two cars when my first child arrived - S4 (petrol) and 981 GT4. Sadly, both got pinched in a burglary, so I replaced with the diesel S4 and a Citroen C3. I hated the S4 TDI (worst mistake ever), so I now have the RS4 as the family car and the 718 as the weekend toy.

RS4 is so useable, sounds better than the F82 and feels much faster in all but bone dry weather. I bought a base car with Sports Exhaust, DRC+, 19" wheels and no pano roof - driver's spec!

Last edited by M4GTS; 03-19-2021 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2021, 07:13 AM   #62
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I love it. I never got on with the M4, although things were improved with an i-step update and some wider rears I always felt it lacked something, mainly traction! ;-)

I went from M4 to two cars when my first child arrived - S4 (petrol) and 981 GT4. Sadly, both got pinched in a burglary, so I replaced with the diesel S4 and a Citroen C3. I hated the S4 TDI (worst mistake ever), so I now have the RS4 as the family car and the 718 as the weekend toy.

RS4 is so useable, sounds better than the F82 and feels much faster in all but bone dry weather. I bought a base car with Sports Exhaust, DRC+, 19" wheels and no pano roof - driver's spec!
Yeah, it sounds like we have a very similar feeling re our move. Like you I loved the F82 on a dry summer day. I still enjoyed it on a regular Scottish weather day but one had to be careful.

The RS4 definitely feels quicker at all but speeds where I'd risk loosing my driving license.

I disabled the pumped in fake sound in my RS4 using the Obd11 app. Saying that the fake sound was better than the M4'a which was a drone. I just don't like getting a fake sound through the speakers

I can still hear the lovely V6 & exhaust. As quite clearly can seen from pedestrians & other road users if I pull away shapely from a junction. Like you I think it sounds much better than my M4.

I like a wee sports car like your one but for now don't have the space.

It sounds like we are both happy with our move
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 01:58 PM   #63
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, it sounds like we have a very similar feeling re our move. Like you I loved the F82 on a dry summer day. I still enjoyed it on a regular Scottish weather day but one had to be careful.

The RS4 definitely feels quicker at all but speeds where I'd risk loosing my driving license.

I disabled the pumped in fake sound in my RS4 using the Obd11 app. Saying that the fake sound was better than the M4'a which was a drone. I just don't like getting a fake sound through the speakers

I can still hear the lovely V6 & exhaust. As quite clearly can seen from pedestrians & other road users if I pull away shapely from a junction. Like you I think it sounds much better than my M4.

I like a wee sports car like your one but for now don't have the space.

It sounds like we are both happy with our move
Indeed! Also a Scot, but down here amongst the Sassenachs... :-)
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2021, 10:49 PM   #64
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
They can't, because G80 ate the F80 for breakfast!
So THAT's how it gained so much weight
Appreciate 2
solstice5456.50
AlexFL7837.00
      03-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #65
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
I mean loading up the converter against the brake. Sometimes that works better than LC.
That's part of what launch control does. In cars with the automatic trans, when you're on the brake and gas at the same time the torque converter is partially engaging to preload the drivetrain, which also allows the engine to be under load to help build boost before you launch.
Appreciate 0