Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-22-2024, 01:32 PM   #1
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 6MT BG/FR

BM3 and CarPlay Interaction

Question:

Would using my iPad to connect to my BM3 adapter alleviate the need to disconnect CarPlay from my phone?

I know it tells you to disable it so it doesn’t cause interruption, but I guess I’m curious if two separate devices would fix the problem, or if the problems are more on the iDrive side.

I didn’t want to be a guinea pig with this too since I’m already the guinea pig for the PTB performance pressure plate.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 01:39 PM   #2
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Separate device would be fine.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2024, 01:43 PM   #3
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
just turn off your bluetooth and wifi and carplay doesn't work anyways, assuming youre using a cable to connect.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 01:46 PM   #4
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
just turn off your bluetooth and wifi and carplay doesn't work anyways, assuming youre using a cable to connect.
I should’ve been more clear. I’m using the WiFi adapter. So the main question was will the separate devices solve the need to disable CarPlay.

Which as been answered.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 01:57 PM   #5
81bear
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 - FDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce_bukkake View Post
I should’ve been more clear. I’m using the WiFi adapter. So the main question was will the separate devices solve the need to disable CarPlay.

Which as been answered.
Separate devices will work however you’ll need both devices to use other features as well (data logging, etc) which can get pretty inconvenient.

To switch off CarPlay is really simple Settings-General-CarPlay and toggle off the connection for your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 02:06 PM   #6
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81bear View Post
Separate devices will work however you’ll need both devices to use other features as well (data logging, etc) which can get pretty inconvenient.

To switch off CarPlay is really simple Settings-General-CarPlay and toggle off the connection for your car.

I understand it’s simple. I currently do it. But I would still like to use CarPlay for music on my phone while being able to use the Live Adjust features on my iPad.

I’m not worried about having it on for data logging purposes. Just general app use.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 07:45 PM   #7
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

I flash with my laptop and would definitely still turn off my Bluetooth on my phone so the car isn't connected to anything else.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 08:25 PM   #8
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgz View Post
I flash with my laptop and would definitely still turn off my Bluetooth on my phone so the car isn't connected to anything else.
What do you think it’s going to do? The software on your laptop is initiating communications across the connection directly on the dongle that’s plugged into the OBD port. The car connecting to your phone has no bearing on that. The reason they tell you to disconnect CarPlay is because it uses both Bluetooth and a WIFI AdHoc connection to the phone and the phone needs the WIFI connection to do the same thing with the OBD2 dongle. The two network connections cannot coexist, it’s just a limitation of the way WIFI or rather AdHoc networks work, that’s all.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 07:39 PM   #9
evidence
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
What do you think it’s going to do? The software on your laptop is initiating communications across the connection directly on the dongle that’s plugged into the OBD port. The car connecting to your phone has no bearing on that. The reason they tell you to disconnect CarPlay is because it uses both Bluetooth and a WIFI AdHoc connection to the phone and the phone needs the WIFI connection to do the same thing with the OBD2 dongle. The two network connections cannot coexist, it’s just a limitation of the way WIFI or rather AdHoc networks work, that’s all.
As someone who almost bricked their ECU doing something that seemed benign, I would not fault anyone for taking extra precautions while flashing a vehicle or doing anything invasive over OBDII. Especially when the ECU has to be shipped across the world to unlock. Interruptions to the connection or any type of interference from idrive can cause a boom.

It's easy to say what should and shouldn't happen, but anyone who works with software knows how much can bite you in the ass.
Appreciate 1
Dawgz1016.00