home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-22-2024, 09:19 PM   #111
JTsM3
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBODAN4 View Post
Thanks, just hate the extra length of fuel line are you are working with and not as clean but will make it work.
This is exactly right. The extra length of fuel line is a bit of a nuisance but it works. Here are a couple of photos of my install. Here's what I did

1. Disconnected the stock line near the ECU.
2. Make a loop on this line (see my first photo) and connect it to the flex fuel kit. This is a pain to loop it properly and make a solid connection.
3. Connect the line that comes in the BM3 kit from hard line near the ECU to the BM3 flex fuel sensor. This one fits very nicely. (see my second photo)

The fitting that is shown in the BM3 instructions is not needed. It would have been better if they explained that in the video.
Attached Images

Last edited by JTsM3; 02-23-2024 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 10:09 PM   #112
evidence
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgz View Post
Thank you. Your video helped me on the actual positioning of the sensor. It's such a damn tight fit...is this how the g80 install is as well? Its so snug it almost didn't feel like it was going to sit in there at all...then I referenced your video (thanks for that)
I was trying to find pics of my install, but I guess I didn't take any of the fuel hat. You might try flipping it around different ways. It should fit in there snug, which is good so things can't move, but it shouldn't feel like it's putting a bunch of tension on the connections or tubes.

It might be that you should send it clockwise instead for a more natural fit. I just remember turning the existing connector to the fuel hose 90 degrees and it lining up pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 11:38 PM   #113
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidence View Post
I was trying to find pics of my install, but I guess I didn't take any of the fuel hat. You might try flipping it around different ways. It should fit in there snug, which is good so things can't move, but it shouldn't feel like it's putting a bunch of tension on the connections or tubes.

It might be that you should send it clockwise instead for a more natural fit. I just remember turning the existing connector to the fuel hose 90 degrees and it lining up pretty well.

Ya it's in there now, initially it didn't look so intuitive on how it was going to sit in there.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 05:12 PM   #114
TURBODAN4
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsM3 View Post
This is exactly right. The extra length of fuel line is a bit of a nuisance but it works. Here are a couple of photos of my install. Here's what I did

1. Disconnected the stock line near the ECU.
2. Make a loop on this line (see my first photo) and connect it to the flex fuel kit. This is a pain to loop it properly and make a solid connection.
3. Connect the line that comes in the BM3 kit from hard line near the ECU to the BM3 flex fuel sensor. This one fits very nicely. (see my second photo)

The fitting that is shown in the BM3 instructions is not needed. It would have been better if they explained that in the video.
Thanks for the photos. Exactly what I expected at this point. I’ll get photos of mine as well but I’m working on a cleaner solution too.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 07:35 PM   #115
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

After installing this kit, has anyone had any issues flashing xHP or modifying xHP settings? I heard that anything that modifies the CANBUS connection (like this hookup to the BDC) will cause the xHP flash to have issues as it cant communicate properly.

Anyone?

Last edited by Dawgz; 02-23-2024 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 12:30 AM   #116
M4Martin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition, Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Times View Post
I’m liking the process and can tell it’s faster. Still many more revisions I’m sure. Only hardware change since starting was changing the plug gaps to .022
I've seen the recommendation to switch the plug gap to .022 a few times on this forum but I haven't exactly grasped when it's necessary.

I live about 45 miles from the nearest gas stations with E85 so I plan on only using E85 blends at the track. This past weekend I went to the dragstrip and ran an ~ e38 blend (was trying to get to e40 but miscalculated) on the bm3 flexfuel stage 2 multi-map. But Im Going to go back to acn 91 on my next fill up. Should I change my plug gap to .022 if I'm occasionally running a flexfuel tune and going back to ACN 91 for daily use?

Also I saw on here that the dedicated e30 maps were better than the flex fuel maps. I also saw Bootmod has a stage 2 e50 blend map. Would it be worth buying the e50 blend and flashing it when i want to run at the track and then go back to the multi-map flex fuel afterwards? I just want it to hold me over until I can get port injection and a full custom tune.

I have ARM downpipes and drop in filters and ran a 10.51@133mph with a DA of over 4,800ft. On the ~E38 blend and OTS Flexfuel tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 07:07 AM   #117
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Martin View Post
I've seen the recommendation to switch the plug gap to .022 a few times on this forum but I haven't exactly grasped when it's necessary.

I live about 45 miles from the nearest gas stations with E85 so I plan on only using E85 blends at the track. This past weekend I went to the dragstrip and ran an ~ e38 blend (was trying to get to e40 but miscalculated) on the bm3 flexfuel stage 2 multi-map. But Im Going to go back to acn 91 on my next fill up. Should I change my plug gap to .022 if I'm occasionally running a flexfuel tune and going back to ACN 91 for daily use?

Also I saw on here that the dedicated e30 maps were better than the flex fuel maps. I also saw Bootmod has a stage 2 e50 blend map. Would it be worth buying the e50 blend and flashing it when i want to run at the track and then go back to the multi-map flex fuel afterwards? I just want it to hold me over until I can get port injection and a full custom tune.

I have ARM downpipes and drop in filters and ran a 10.51@133mph with a DA of over 4,800ft. On the ~E38 blend and OTS Flexfuel tune.
That’s totally up to the tuner… I only changed my gap because that’s what Paul suggested for his tune. If you’re running an OTS map, I’d probably just leave the factory gap

2023 M4 xd BSM
IG: MFor_YourPleasure
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 09:39 AM   #118
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:

1) I personally have found .022 to work very well on the S58. It works well on gasoline and on Ethanol mixes.

2) A dedicated Ethanol map will always be better than a flex fuel for overall power.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 02:32 PM   #119
Abacus38
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 Comp

Quote:

Dedicated e40/e50 blend maps generally make more power than flex fuel maps. As far as gaps are concerned stock gaps work fine. Also I recommend you change sparks plugs when you change your oil.

IG Perseus_Actual
Performance: DP, Intakes, BM3 Flex Fuel tune By Bend Calibrations
Cosmetic: CF front lip, Diffuser, and Spoiler
Appreciate 0