madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp

Installing CAN module

Hello all. I have just bought this:

https://www.leib-engineering.de/leib...-m3-g80-g81-en

It involves access the body domain controller which is just below the passenger fusebox. A bit more tricky to access it because of the limited space.

But there is one step which I need help with. See attached picture. One step in installation is guiding the cable connecting the exhaust valves and into the area behind the rear seat so it connects with the wiring from the BDC. In other words, does anyone know where the the wires for flap control exit the interior and into the exterior?

Will appreciate the help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 07:18 AM   #2
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

In other words, anyone know if there is an opening near the rear seats where I could guide cables from the cabin to the underside of the car?

I saw a video where someone has removed their front passenger and rear seats. Pictures below. I will see if the grommets where the rear seats were, communicate with the underside. Can anyone guess where the grommet in the close up picture is located. There is a part number written on the metal but google doesnt return any searches.

What a fun project!.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 02:07 AM   #3
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Finally got this installed. It's the LEIB CAN EXHAUST Pro. Worth €700 but I got it cheaper over ebay for £340.

So now, I have:
Cold start off.
Valves actually opened and closed with exhaust button.
No potential CEL due to my 200 cell dp and opf delete
ASD actually off.
And exhaust burbles off. They can be a bit too much with the downpipes.

If anyone considering it, I will be happy to help with DIY. I couldn't find much on the Internet as not many people have installed these. This module works with x3m and x4m as well.

Last edited by madmedman; 11-08-2022 at 02:32 AM..
Appreciate 3
Sbm007613.50
Mashour754.50
jordan24c128.00
      11-08-2022, 08:02 AM   #4
3MW
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp 2021

Might be a good alternative vs the opf deleter cables.
Thank you for this information
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 08:08 AM   #5
Tomercohen2
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3 g80

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmedman View Post
Finally got this installed. It's the LEIB CAN EXHAUST Pro. Worth €700 but I got it cheaper over ebay for £340.

So now, I have:
Cold start off.
ASD actually off.

If anyone considering it, I will be happy to help with DIY. I couldn't find much on the Internet as not many people have installed these. This module works with x3m and x4m as well.
Dear madman.im new here,can you write me in private
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 08:08 AM   #6
G-Breazy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Grandmarquis 92, X6 21

Thanks for taking the plunge and experimenting. Always good to have options. How long did this install take you? Did you need to remove the seats or cut any interior panels to pass wires? So now basically the exhaust button serves as on/off for the flaps? With asd disabled, do you find it too quiet in the cabin?

You mentioned the burbles were too much with your 200cell downpipe. Do you have any other exhaust mods?

Informative write up, enjoy your new install!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 03:51 PM   #7
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MW View Post
Hello. The opf deleters are still needed as they avoid limp mode. This module has additional features which are very handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomercohen2 View Post
Hello. I dont think I can. Your account is brand new. You can ask me here and i will be happy to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Breazy View Post
Thanks for taking the plunge and experimenting. Always good to have options. How long did this install take you? Did you need to remove the seats or cut any interior panels to pass wires? So now basically the exhaust button serves as on/off for the flaps? With asd disabled, do you find it too quiet in the cabin?

You mentioned the burbles were too much with your 200cell downpipe. Do you have any other exhaust mods?

Hello. Its a great option if your dme is still locked and you dont have a tune. The actual install took me three hours after i completed all the research, which was very scarce as no one seems to have more information about this.

No cutting required or removing carpets. I had to lift the rear seat which is a piece of cake in the M4. Just lift it up and it comes off its hooks. From there I had to fist my way under the carpet to the side of the front seat with one hand and pulled the cable from the FEM module (just below the fuse box in the passenger footwell. Once the entry board of the front seat is removed, the side of the carpet is exposed. I also had to remove the panel covering the right rear fuse box in the boot to guide the exhaust flap part of this module from actuators to the boot. Takes five minutes.

All this could have taken no more than an hour or two if I wasn't going back and forth between reading the install instructions and doing the job. But removing those connectors from the housing was a pain as i wasn't aware how to unclip them, so i was trying to brute force them, which doesn't work. And I had no helping hand.

The exhaust button now does the job what its supposed to. Its now the new riot button. When off, my car is no louder than the next door's 330e. But with button on, it causes a massive racket especially since i only have 300 cats and no other emission equipment, no secondaries, resonators or opfs. Apart from the downpipes, i have the valvetronic midpipe and MPE. It roars with valves open.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 11:51 AM   #8
Tomercohen2
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3 g80

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MW View Post
Hello. The opf deleters are still needed as they avoid limp mode. This module has additional features which are very handy.

Quote:
Hello. I dont think I can. Your account is brand new. You can ask me here and i will be happy to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Breazy View Post

Hello. Its a great option if your dme is still locked and you dont have a tune. The actual install took me three hours after i completed all the research, which was very scarce as no one seems to have more information about this.

No cutting required or removing carpets. I had to lift the rear seat which is a piece of cake in the M4. Just lift it up and it comes off its hooks. From there I had to fist my way under the carpet to the side of the front seat with one hand and pulled the cable from the FEM module (just below the fuse box in the passenger footwell. Once the entry board of the front seat is removed, the side of the carpet is exposed. I also had to remove the panel covering the right rear fuse box in the boot to guide the exhaust flap part of this module from actuators to the boot. Takes five minutes.

All this could have taken no more than an hour or two if I wasn't going back and forth between reading the install instructions and doing the job. But removing those connectors from the housing was a pain as i wasn't aware how to unclip them, so i was trying to brute force them, which doesn't work. And I had no helping hand.

The exhaust button now does the job what its supposed to. Its now the new riot button. When off, my car is no louder than the next door's 330e. But with button on, it causes a massive racket especially since i only have 300 cats and no other emission equipment, no secondaries, resonators or opfs. Apart from the downpipes, i have the valvetronic midpipe and MPE. It roars with valves open.
Hi madman,
Thanx for explaining everything.
I am in the same situation as you
I have opf,and i want to buy lieb opf delete cables.i red that you did it also but didnt buy the lieb canbus in the beginning.
did you have ecl because of that?or the lieb canbus is a must(i am not planning on replacing my downpipes)
I talked ro r44 and they said that the opf delete cables are enough and i wouldnt have check engine light.i am confused …can you shade some light for me?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 08:35 AM   #9
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi madman,
Thanx for explaining everything.
I am in the same situation as you
I have opf,and i want to buy lieb opf delete cables.i red that you did it also but didnt buy the lieb canbus in the beginning.
did you have ecl because of that?or the lieb canbus is a must(i am not planning on replacing my downpipes)
I talked ro r44 and they said that the opf delete cables are enough and i wouldnt have check engine light.i am confused …can you shade some light for me?
Hello mate,

I have been using opf delete cables from LEIB since May 2021 and they have been working great. Thats true I got CEL a few times after using launch control or WOT. I checked with ISTA+ and the error was related to opf. I then reset the opfs and didn't get an error message. But now I am using the CAN module which takes care of the error so I can't tell.

This cel due to opf is new. When I spoke to LEIB a few days ago, they said bmw probably updated something in the software. But as long as you have the sensor connections attached to the exhaust, you will not get limp mode with these cables, which is the main thing.

I would suggest getting the delete cables first and reset the opfs. If you get the CEL, then you can get the CAN MIL deleter from LEIB. I like their Exhaust Pro because of the functions I mentioned above.

Let me know if I can help.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 08:22 AM   #10
raymondhocl
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3

Quote:

So now, I have:
Cold start off.
ASD actually off.

I bought this however I am confused about how to activate and do settings for the G80, do you have any clear instructions or video on how to do so?

Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 11:59 AM   #11
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondhocl View Post
I bought this however I am confused about how to activate and do settings for the G80, do you have any clear instructions or video on how to do so?

Thank you in advance
Hello there mate.

Download the functional description pdf below:

https://www.leib-engineering.de/leib...-m3-g80-g81-en

There is no onscreen menu. You have to press buttons in a certain order to get to the menu and then use DSC ON and OFF to get to specific MENU and exhaust button on and off a specific number of times to get to the setting you need to change. When you read through the pdf you'll get a better idea.

E.G: To get to the main menu, you press the start button three times, hold the DSC button to turn it off and then press the exhaust button to turn it off. All three steps should be undertaken within ten seconds.

Then DSC-ON followed by DSC OFF = menu item 1. You keep following this until you get to the desired menu.

There are then sub items in the menu, you press exhaust button every time to navigate through.

The pdf shows the menu and how to select, change and save setting.

I hope its clear.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 11:17 AM   #12
1rmy7
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4 G82

Hey! How do you use it? Just installed it and idkhow to turn off valves
Appreciate 0