BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #155
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
For the record I have never, and likely will never, own anything by Kith.

The winner here is the youth, who's purchasing power (not presently but) going forward is substantial. The winner here is the brand that is arousing increased interest and awareness when compared to it's competitors.

The losers here are the people who are upset about a marketing decision that doesn't even impact their lives in the least.
I disagree, the winner is KITH alone. It's unabated upside for their brand and better positions for the inevitable exit.

Any benefit BMW sees in the long run from future purchasing power is negated by alienating current customers with demonstrated purchasing power. No millennial is going to make a decision tomorrow on a past marketing scheme.

This should've been a collaboration at the entry level 3 series and maybe it would've drawn millennials from the Model 3. For their flagship motorsports division, they should've partnered with a brand that speaks the same language of purposeful design and engineered performance.
Appreciate 4
CSBM52695.50
Poochie9099.00
EXE462097.00
Transfer5242.50
      11-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #156
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I disagree, the winner is KITH alone. It's unabated upside for their brand and better positions for the inevitable exit.

Any benefit BMW sees in the long run from future purchasing power is negated by alienating current customers with demonstrated purchasing power. No millennial is going to make a decision tomorrow on a past marketing scheme.

This should've been a collaboration at the entry level 3 series and maybe it would've drawn millennials from the Model 3. For their flagship motorsports division, they should've partnered with a brand that speaks the same language of purposeful design and engineered performance.
Let me share my perspective, perhaps I should have done so in my initial response (i have shared it previously in this thread).

I have several friends from NYC, South Florida, and LA who are super involved in the "Gear" world. I don't really get it but 2 of them own stores that sell this sh*t and do very well (new and vintage). They frequently have lines around the block to get into their place of business. Not bad.

Of the 3 friends I have in this industry, 2 of them plan on buying a G82 based on this collab. 1 is actually getting a Kith car, the other is getting a G82 competition. Neither of them had ANY inclination to buy a BMW or a performance car. Their idea of cars is an S560 Benz or a 7 series.

How's that bad for BMWM? And why is it worth complaining about?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 11:46 AM   #157
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Let me share my perspective, perhaps I should have done so in my initial response (i have shared it previously in this thread).

I have several friends from NYC, South Florida, and LA who are super involved in the "Gear" world. I don't really get it but 2 of them own stores that sell this sh*t and do very well (new and vintage). They frequently have lines around the block to get into their place of business. Not bad.

Of the 3 friends I have in this industry, 2 of them plan on buying a G82 based on this collab. 1 is actually getting a Kith car, the other is getting a G82 competition. Neither of them had ANY inclination to buy a BMW or a performance car. Their idea of cars is an S560 Benz or a 7 series.

How's that bad for BMWM? And why is it worth complaining about?
I'm not complaining, just suggesting the predominant winner is KITH not BMW. The population that can afford these cars is relatively small, vs those that will wait in lines for a $250 sweatshirt.

That said, I'm 36 yrs old and I work in this space. I fully support your friend's success and they should buy whatever excites them.

Just not sure how durable this approach is to developing or maintaining brand loyalty. I believe their ROI would be higher at the base models.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 01:55 PM   #158
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I'm not complaining, just suggesting the predominant winner is KITH not BMW. The population that can afford these cars is relatively small, vs those that will wait in lines for a $250 sweatshirt.

That said, I'm 36 yrs old and I work in this space. I fully support your friend's success and they should buy whatever excites them.

Just not sure how durable this approach is to developing or maintaining brand loyalty. I believe their ROI would be higher at the base models.
Can't see the exclusivity of any of these "hype beast" products lining up well with a 330i.

Also, a lot of the "M Enthusiasm" does translate to sales of the lower models. Take, for example, most M340i owners. They are excited for the M3, but it may or may not fit their price point. They get the lower car but are included in the brand.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 09:23 PM   #159
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

so im prob on the younger side of the posters here, <30. I work in capital markets so very fortunate to be in the position to think about these cars!

plenty of car enthusiasts in my social circle, i wouldn't call any of them "hype beast" crowd.. some of them may have excessive obsession with nice watches and designer loafers tho lol
      11-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #160
Jacky Treehorn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

80-90k car and they are pushing FYRE festival style marketing to the impulsive 16-25 yr olds out there that piss away money on $1,000 air jordans. It's a grab towards those top tier youths that have money likely from privileged backgrounds (and for those that don't and may have money in the future). BMW is competing head to head with Tesla in China now - so it's not surprising. There are thousands and thousands of youths in China that have the money for this car. They are just running all the numbers....throwing a cast net at them and see if they can grab some. I totally get it.

Part of me thinks they are adjusting strategy after increasing resistance in sales from a growing number of US millennials that are shifting towards home ownership and changing priorities/starting families. Millennials are becoming far more financially savvy/frugal (myself included) and buying a depreciating 80-90k car now is something I'm on the fence with. Not to mention, BMW was sued recently for inflating 2015-2019 US sales figures to keep pace with other brands, and keep meeting internal sales targets.

I think that is why brands like Subaru have been crushing it here with the millennial and older generations. They make a good product, no fluff. Marketing that connects with a big base. Reasonable price, fairly reliable, and a little bit of character. Ford knows it's workhorse, the F-150...they market towards the people that buy it, ect,

BMW is a bit lost on this I think they are running ideas on how to grab more sales from a car that may otherwise suffer low sales volume in traditionally/historically successful demographics like myself.
Appreciate 1
DRLane3968.00
      11-22-2020, 02:20 PM   #161
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Dumb collab for sure, never even heard of kith or whatever, then again I am not in my twenties. If this collaboration was with say Celine or Saint Laurent Paris. It would make more sense.

If you build the right car, buyers will always be there, BMW isn't Genesis who is just getting their feet wet. Walk into your typical workplace these days and mention Genesis and both and old and young would have no clue wtf you're talking about. Mention BMW, and every single individual will know the brand regardless of age or socio-economic status. So again this collaboration is foolish. I for one understand the disdain of not wanting to be associated with certain brands for personal reasons.