BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-16-2021, 05:24 PM   #67
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
I don't care if people don't like it; we all have differnet tastes. I don't like the new 2 series at all but I don't intend to go that forum and dump all over it for a year straight the way some here have with the G80/82. That's what I can't undertsand here. It's really bizarre.
The reason is simple - they've upset many dedicated fans of the brand who've been w them for decades. People wouldn't have such a strong reaction if they didn't have such an inherent attachment to the product and the people that created it. Now were all lost and pissed cause they've done something we believe is stupid and ugly and not the BMW we've grown to know and love. Its like if your wife of 20yrs loved red wine and finer things but all the sudden one day she started an obsession with tequila and partying, you'd say WTF and sternly request a return to the life you believe you signed up for and had enjoyed.
      09-17-2021, 10:35 AM   #68
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
First off, excellent work on the render.

I'd probably feel a bit of embarrassment driving this car. Not the car itself but the combination of excessive aesthetics and F&F looks.

Am I getting old? You can be honest with me.
If that is too much aesthetics for you, you've got to be the most boring person alive….Christ man, live a little.
If you need a car that looks like this to feel alive, I feel sorry for you.
      09-17-2021, 10:38 AM   #69
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunker View Post
Quote:

I mean probably. And I'm probably in the same boat. Does that mean one develops better taste as one gets older? I'd like to think so. LOL.
I think so. Definitely more conservative than this.

It's for a reason 16 year olds drive riced out Civics and 50 year olds drive clean 911s.

M3 buyers are in the low 40s but the demographics is changing as this model gets more and more aesthetically aggressive.
      09-17-2021, 07:21 PM   #70
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

I’m somewhat interested in a M4 CSL but the problem is the car looks huge and bulky (189 inches). A Porsche 911 is just more streamlined and more compact.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 07:34 PM   #71
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
I’m somewhat interested in a M4 CSL but the problem is the car looks huge and bulky (189 inches). A Porsche 911 is just more streamlined and more compact.
Did you test drive a G82 M4 ? If not I would do that first.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 02:39 PM   #72
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I mean probably. And I'm probably in the same boat. Does that mean one develops better taste as one gets older? I'd like to think so. LOL.

It's for a reason 16 year olds drive riced out Civics and 50 year olds drive clean 911s.

M3 buyers are in the low 40s but the demographics is changing as this model gets more and more aesthetically aggressive.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would be surprised to see the median age of ownership being in the 40's for an m3/m4. Most drivers I see with them are no more than mid 30's off quick glance. The majority definitely being younger. Based on obvious giveaways and driving style.

I'd say the M5 demographic is in the 40's.

I have never liked the G82/G80 M. But the CSL arrival and camo pics make the car look really
tough. I've been toying with the ideal of having this be the perfect stable mate to my F90 M5C.

The CSL is exactly what I'd want a secondary weekend car to be. Lightweight, fast, a bit "more" in terms of styling. A second car shouldn't be reserved in my opinion, it shouldn't be something that blends in with the masses. I also think a CSL would be best with minimal mileage, and not driven daily. I know it's capable of it, but given its exclusivity and more than likely- impracticality, I'd say she qualifies as a pole position stable mate to the M5. I'll be subscribed to all news CSL, as well as inquiring on an allocation with my dealer.
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 1
Puuhapete145.00
      09-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #73
RPM33
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Did you test drive a G82 M4 ? If not I would do that first.
Yes, you are 100% correct. I would need to test drive an M4 Competition before I commit to a M4 CSL waiting list, etc. The fact that I'm not interested in a M4 Competition should tell me something. I get swayed by the articles and hype of the M4 CSL (more power, less weight, limited edition, etc.) I currently own a M2 CS and have financial budget room for another sports car.

I have test driven a 992 911 Carrera S and enjoyed the car. It is more agile, better handling, and better steering than my current M2 CS. Plus the lower weight is more apparent in the 911. However, knowing me, I would need a higher end 911 such as a GTS, GT3, or base Turbo to be satisfied.

I have tried for a 911 GT3 allocation but since I have never purchased a Porsche before, I am at the end of the line. It may not be until late 2022 or 2023 if ever for a GT3 allocation for me.

I will try for a Cayman GT4 RS allocation which is rumored to be revealed in November but I probably won't get an allocation since I have never purchased a Porsche below and will be at the end of the line similar to GT3. Plus the car will probably only be built for a year or so. Will try anyway since the worst is they tell you no. I like small cars having owned a version of the M2 for past four years.

While I enjoy my M2 CS (3,500 miles since February as a weekend only car), I can't help but think it is another BMW (previously owned OG M2) and doesn't satisfy my requirement of wanting to own and experience a Porsche sports car (childhood dream since 1985). The M4 CSL would obviously not satisfy the goal/want of owning and experiencing a Porsche sports car either.

Lastly, I think I should just pursue a high end 911 (GT3 or base turbo) or Cayman GT4 RS and forget about an M4 CSL. The fact that I'm not at all interested in a M4 Competition should tell me something.

Also I have had a day dream of getting an M4 CSL delivered to my house and thinking "my word, the size of that thing. What have I done?" I have buyer's remorse and grass is greener on other side often when it comes to cars. I just have to ignore the M4 CSL articles, hype, etc. Thanks for listening.
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00
      09-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #74
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSHNGRY View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would be surprised to see the median age of ownership being in the 40's for an m3/m4. Most drivers I see with them are no more than mid 30's off quick glance. The majority definitely being younger. Based on obvious giveaways and driving style.

I'd say the M5 demographic is in the 40's.

I have never liked the G82/G80 M. But the CSL arrival and camo pics make the car look really
tough. I've been toying with the ideal of having this be the perfect stable mate to my F90 M5C.

The CSL is exactly what I'd want a secondary weekend car to be. Lightweight, fast, a bit "more" in terms of styling. A second car shouldn't be reserved in my opinion, it shouldn't be something that blends in with the masses. I also think a CSL would be best with minimal mileage, and not driven daily. I know it's capable of it, but given its exclusivity and more than likely- impracticality, I'd say she qualifies as a pole position stable mate to the M5. I'll be subscribed to all news CSL, as well as inquiring on an allocation with my dealer.
The statistic comes directly from the M division.

Agree, as a second car this could be perfect.
      09-18-2021, 03:48 PM   #75
RPM33
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The statistic comes directly from the M division.

Agree, as a second car this could be perfect.
I have to admit that I think that the M4 CSL could be a good bang for the buck at $130 - $140K. It will most likely have limited options which in a way is a good thing.

Whereas the 911 Turbo S starts at $207K and with reasonable options is at $235K. Add in tax and it is up to $250K. A couple of owners have called the Turbo S boring including one at Rennlist who got rid of it at 1,400 miles. The low miles 2021 Turbo S cars at cargurus is an eye opener as well. Probably buyer's remorse or financial reasons for getting rid of the car so soon. In addition, I had a AWD car years ago and hated the driving dynamics of it (Acura TL SH AWD). While the car was reasonable fast, the driving dynamics of an AWD car to me felt boring.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 10:00 PM   #76
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How can it be getting younger as the price goes up? How many people in their 20s, early 30s are buying $80,000+ cars? I guess probably more than should be.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 02:41 AM   #77
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
How can it be getting younger as the price goes up? How many people in their 20s, early 30s are buying $80,000+ cars? I guess probably more than should be.
Mako is right. Young people should buy houses first instead of nice cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 06:21 AM   #78
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

We don't disagree. But it's true.

The first purchase is usually a car lease, while 401Ks don't get a match, IRAs are at $0, student loans haven't been paid and they are renting.
      09-20-2021, 11:29 AM   #79
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

G82 M4 CSL rendering

@RPM33

Ive read your last post a few times because I am also in this kind of dilemma. I've been wanting to experience a true sports car chassis built from the ground up for some time and I am lusting to go back to the manual gearbox interaction.

Now that I have owned my 2020 M340i for a few months I realise I don't want a sports car as a daily driver, even a M3 is useless for my needs and the loss of comfort isn't really worth it.

So this brings me to adding a 3rd occasion car/sportier car to the stable. First choice would be a 718 GTS 4.0 or GT4/Spyder but for not too much more the M4 CSL would offer 4 seats (family) more versatility and nice exclusivity. The bad side is it's still a compromised souped up commuter car with an automatic transmission, albeit a very good one. Oh and the weight, I don't really mind the size.

Then you say why not a 911, you get a bit of everything ? Like you said, I would need to go for GT3(no back seat) or Turbo(price) Even a new GTS with options is a lot more then a 718 that as basically better driving dynamics..

I also have to keep in mind I attend HPDE track day events with all my cars. I did a short test drive with a 2021 M4C with bucket seats, it felt great but I fear even with the great chassis and engine It would provide a slightly disconnected feel on track. Can the CSL recepy remedy to this and transform this car into a GT3esque machine ? Maybe. Since a test drive will be basically impossible you have to be a believer and take the risk. If it keeps a good value it's not too bad but if the GTS scenario reoccurres, outch... The Covid bubble won't last forever.

Also waiting for the G87 could be interesting but I am back to the souped up commuter car square. Maybe a M/T one could provide up to 80-90% of what I am after but with the big price increase of M cars lately it's going to be hard to justify not going with the more "P"ure option..

We could call this game ''Choose your compromise'' at least we can't complain we don't have good options.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6

Last edited by PLF69; 09-20-2021 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 09:43 PM   #80
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

It would've been nice if the standard M4 looked like this with actual working vents not fake plastic bits which I cannot stand!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 03:38 PM   #81
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Looks are subjective. Going on the G8X forums and wow you don't see people saying the car they paid 80k for is ugly… that's obvious. They're ugly cars. The only people that disagree are bmw owners. Go on the internet any forum any YouTube video that isn't comprised of bmw owners and you'll see that everyone agrees it's ugly.
Again, everywhere I go I get comments from non-BMW drivers about how much they like it. What a bunch of internet commenters think doesn't equate to "Everyone". What's pathetic is people like yourself a year after the car has been revealed still come in to the G80 forum to dump on it. Says a lot about you.
What's pathetic is how upset you're getting about an opinion. I'm sorry you bought a car that I don't personally think is good looking. I'm not here on this forum to stroke your ego. I don't think it's a good looking car. Sorry that upsets you so much to the extend that you sling insults around but I'm glad you like it. Have a good one
Appreciate 0