BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #45
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, G80 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Here are a few more, and details are on my blog

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/0...ew-bmw-g80-m3/
Thats pure sex on wheels
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #46
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgokev View Post
Skyscraper Grey? I flip between that and Portimao Blue. Build goes in next week so only a few more days of panic left.
Can I nudge you toward Portimao?
Thanks, please share more pictures of your build. I have not seen G80s in blue with 825M wheels.
In my opinion, looks great.
Here are a few more, and details are on my blog

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/0...ew-bmw-g80-m3/
Thanks, that's the same spec I like. I will only add the CF exterior package.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2021, 01:17 PM   #47
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Skyscraper Grey? I flip between that and Portimao Blue. Build goes in next week so only a few more days of panic left.
Thanks, please share more pictures of your build. I have not seen G80s in blue with 825M wheels.
@Vic55
Show him your car
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 03:05 PM   #48
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
@Vic55
Show him your car
He saw I think in another thread where he asked and I tagged him.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2021, 05:38 PM   #49
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@Vic55
Show him your car
Thanks, Vic has a different spec but still nice!
I'm looking for PB with 825M wheels (without the white circle marking on the rim).
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 05:51 PM   #50
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
I'm looking for PB with 825M wheels (without the white circle marking on the rim).
In reality its not white but a lighter silver--- mine are Orbit Grey in nature so are you looking for an all silver or all black wheel??
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 06:06 PM   #51
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:
In reality its not white but a lighter silver--- mine are Orbit Grey in nature so are you looking for an all silver or all black wheel??
Thanks. Looking for silver wheels!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 07:44 PM   #52
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

Great review. Thank you for posting. Been waiting for AWD reviews to hit.

Is it just me or is the transmission a huge let down in this car. What I got from the review....

"I love the ZF8. It's slower at shifting than DCT/PDK. It's slow at shifting near the redline. The best thing you can do is put it in Auto if you want shifts to be the fastest. Gears 1-3 are really short. But I love the ZF because it's so smooth driving." 🙄

None of these qualities are highly rated for an ///M car. It's the same thing that I felt after driving my friends x3mc and m5c. The transmission just ruined the excitement of actually driving the car. Both of them also feel the same way after having the Dct. I have no issue dailing my Dct and driving it around Chicago, but really get extra pleasure from pushing it at the limit or hard. It's like 1/3 of the experience. I would not sacrifice that in a "fun" car over having a smoother shift driving slow. The accountants at Bmw really f'd the enthusiasts with that one. I guess I'm just an outlier that actually enjoys the pleasure of "driving" the car. Going through the gears, up and down. I've put on 15k miles on my CS in the last 7 months I have had it and most of the time it's in manual and probably above 4.5-5k rpm.

The other huge let down of the Zf is there is no engine braking at 6-7k rpm. When you let of the throttle, it just feels like it's coasting. You constantly have to ride the brake to slow down enough not to hit the car in front of you. This is especially noticeable after driving an e90 back to back with the zf, which feels like you slammed the brake when letting of near the redline. It's awesome and gives you so much nice car control because your not unsettling the car to reduce speeds for just a bit by having to tap the brakes

Last edited by wasya152; 09-10-2021 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 08:29 PM   #53
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
Great review. Thank you for posting. Been waiting for AWD reviews to hit.

Is it just me or is the transmission a huge let down in this car. What I got from the review....

"I love the ZF8. It's slower at shifting than DCT/PDK. It's slow at shifting near the redline. The best thing you can do is put it in Auto if you want shifts to be the fastest. Gears 1-3 are really short. But I love the ZF because it's so smooth driving." ��

None of these qualities are highly rated for an ///M car. It's the same thing that I felt after driving my friends x3mc and m5c. The transmission just ruined the excitement of actually driving the car. Both of them also feel the same way after having the Dct. I have no issue dailing my Dct and driving it around Chicago, but really get extra pleasure from pushing it at the limit or hard. It's like 1/3 of the experience. I would not sacrifice that in a "fun" car over having a smoother shift driving slow. The accountants at Bmw really f'd the enthusiasts with that one. I guess I'm just an outlier that actually enjoys the pleasure of "driving" the car. I've put on 15k miles on my CS in the last 7 months I have had it and most of the time it's in manual and probably above 4.5-5k rpm.

The other huge let down of the Zf is there is no engine braking at 6-7k rpm. When you let of the throttle, it just feels like it's coasting. You constantly have to ride the brake to slow down enough not to hit the car in front of you. This is especially noticeable after driving an e90 back to back with the zf, which feels like you slammed the brake when letting of near the redline. It's awesome and gives you so much nice car control because your not unsettling the car to reduce speeds for just a bit by having to tap the brakes
You make some valid points. The behavior near the redline in manual mode requires skill. Same thing in my R8 v10 plus. Gears were so short (shorter than the m3) and over 6500 rpm to 8700 is where the port injection kicked in and it revved those 2500 rpms in like 0.2 sec. you needed to be a baller not to clip the rev limiter. And the dct in the r8 and huracan is the best dct on the planet bar none. Ive driven the gt3rs the r8 one is better imo. However i still used auto mode for roll racing because it was faster. Most people cant time these manual shifts (like 80-90%) so i didnt want to mislead anyone.
I still think the zf is great. It gives u every shift u want and its programmed way different than the x3. The x3 and x5 it feels like a truck. Also, the pdk in the regular 991.2 carreras as well as the dct in the f80 are not perfect transmissions either. The auto shift programs in the pdk put you in 7th at 35mph or redline at 1st at 50. Also for single shifts i firmly believe the zf is equally fast as both the pdk in the non gt cars (991.2) and the f80 dct. Also neither of those is as good as pdk-s in the gt3 for sport driving, but the gt3 and rs one doesnt creep and feels clunky in the first 2 gears. You see nothing is perfect. The point i was trying to make is that its very capable at everything and you have to know how to drive it to extract max performance. It is what adds character to ICE cars. The art of driving and thats what i was trying to describe.

Last edited by PLife; 09-10-2021 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 09:30 PM   #54
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
I still have my E93, as I'll likely keep it forever. And yeah, no retardation (or very little) in the ZF tranny. But that's by design. It's a torque converter.

And sometimes, the shifts are quick, but slurred...or smoothed out. So you lose a lot of the drama of the DCT.

The new G8X is more of a grown up experience than previous generations, borderline GT-ish...but still HIGHLY capable at the track or on country roads. But you can't disguise it's size and weight.

It's all about compromises. It's not perfect. And no M car has been. It's set up to be a daily-driven, very-sporty car based off a 3-series platform, so there's inherent compromises. This is not a purpose built sports car, so we need to keep that in perspective. That's why Vettes, Caymans and 911s have a distinct advantage...built from the ground up to be agile and swift.

For many, they should simply stick with their F8Xs and E9Xs, and even E46s. If you love any of these cars, just keep them and drive the hell out of them. No need to chase speed in the newer generations, just enjoy the thrills of the older M cars...the smiles/miles ratio is irreplaceable.

I do like my G82, A LOT, but it's definitely "different". I certainly didn't buy it trying to replicate the E9X or F8X experience (I had a 2015 M4 in 2018, for a year). No way is my G82 ever going to sound as glorious as my E93 with the full Akra exhaust. So I'm not even going to try, as I'd just be wasting money...lowering the G8X's exhaust note a few octaves and adding needless burbles and such. Those sounds simply don't do it for me...as I've been spoiled by BMW's high-revving V8.

So, different experiences in different Ms...but have no doubt, this G8X is still a proper M car in terms of level of performance. But it feels different.

I'd test drive it before buying it. I did, and I liked it, a lot, more than the F8X...but if anyone has an F8X and loves it, I'd just keep it. This one's different. Don't try to replicate the F8X experience, you need to be ready to move on from the F8X platform before purchasing the G8X.

Last edited by KevinGS; 09-11-2021 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
CanuckM665.50
      09-10-2021, 09:57 PM   #55
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLife View Post
You make some valid points. The behavior near the redline in manual mode requires skill. Same thing in my R8 v10 plus. Gears were so short (shorter than the m3) and over 6500 rpm to 8700 is where the port injection kicked in and it revved those 2500 rpms in like 0.2 sec. you needed to be a baller not to clip the rev limiter. And the dct in the r8 and huracan is the best dct on the planet bar none. Ive driven the gt3rs the r8 one is better imo. However i still used auto mode for roll racing because it was faster. Most people cant time these manual shifts (like 80-90%) so i didnt want to mislead anyone.
I still think the zf is great. It gives u every shift u want and its programmed way different than the x3. The x3 and x5 it feels like a truck. Also, the pdk in the regular 991.2 carreras as well as the dct in the f80 are not perfect transmissions either. The auto shift programs in the pdk put you in 7th at 35mph or redline at 1st at 50. Also for single shifts i firmly believe the zf is equally fast as both the pdk in the non gt cars (991.2) and the f80 dct. Also neither of those is as good as pdk-s in the gt3 for sport driving, but the gt3 and rs one doesnt creep and feels clunky in the first 2 gears. You see nothing is perfect. The point i was trying to make is that its very capable at everything and you have to know how to drive it to extract max performance. It is what adds character to ICE cars. The art of driving and thats what i was trying to describe.
I'm sure a lot of people will love the zf. Your description was pretty much in line with what my buddy summarized about his m5. He went from f10 m5comp to the f90 m5comp. His response when asked was " I drove the f10 in manual mode most of the time. The f90 is pretty much in auto mode all the time. Between the really short gearing and the lack of excitement shifting, I just leave it in auto. The f10 was more engaging car to drive"

I thought he was crazy. How, it's an m5? Then we traded cars for the weekend and within 30 min of driving, I was in auto mode myself. Too much shifting up and down, and lack of excitement doing it, what's the point. My cousin went from m2 to x3m and said almost the same thing.

I was so excited about getting the g80 after my lease is up in Jan, but not so sure anymore. I'm lucky to have a group of close friends that all have fun toys and opportunity to drive them back to back. The e90 m3 with the right mods, is pure driving bliss. The downshifts with that real and organic noise is just amazing. Oral sex. The R8 is probably the same thing and maybe more. Without being able to experience that, the new cars have become so good at being daily cars that I believe they lost all that character and drama that made them special. That car is just as rewarding emotionally driving slow as much as pushing it.

The gt3 is another level. Wow, especially on the track. What an experience.
      09-10-2021, 10:14 PM   #56
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
I still have my E93, as I'll likely keep it forever. And yeah, no retardation (or very little) in the ZF tranny. But that's by design. It's a torque converter.

And sometimes, the shifts are quick, but slurred...or smoothed out. So you lose a lot of the drama of the DCT.

The new G8X is more of a grown up experience than previous generations, borderline GT-ish...but still HIGHLY capable at the track or on country roads. But you can't disguise it's size and weight.

It's all about compromises. It's not perfect. And no M car has been. It's set up to be a daily-driven, very-sporty car based off a 3-series platform, so there's inherent compromises. This is not a purpose built sports car, so we need to keep that in perspective. That's why Vettes, Caymans and 911s have a distinct advantage...built from the ground up to be agile and swift.

For many, they should simply stick with their F8Xs and E9Xs, and even E46s. If you love any of these cars, just keep them and drive the hell out of them. No need to chase speed in the newer generations, just enjoy the thrills of the older M cars...the smiles/miles ratio is irreplaceable.

I do like my G82, A LOT, but it's definitely "different". I definitely didn't buy it trying to replicate the E9X or F8X experience (I had a 2015 M4 in 2018, for a year). No way is my G82 ever going to sound as glorious as my E93 with the full Akra exhaust. So I'm not even going to try, as I'd just be wasting money...lowering the G8X's exhaust note a few octaves and adding needless burbles and such. Those sounds simply don't do it for me...as I've been spoiled by BMW's high-revving V8.

So, different experiences in different Ms...but have no doubt, this G8X is still a proper M car in terms of level of performance. But it feels different.

I'd test drive it before buying it. I did, and I liked it, a lot, more than the F8X...but if anyone has an F8X and loves it, I'd just keep it. This one's different. Don't try to replicate the F8X experience, you need to be ready to move on from it.
at the risk of sounding like an old fart, but an e90/92/93 driving experience with right engine mods, tune, exhaust, suspension, etc is unmatchable. The m5 and my m3cs sound like fart cans compared. There is just something about the analog feeling, all natural noise perfection, and throttle response that makes it so enjoyable to drive. It's a 10 year old car and the current crop don't hold a candle to it for weekend or fun drive. Yes, they have draw backs, but as soon as that engine starts to sing, what drawbacks, who cares. The best part is that it's enjoyable going slow. My Cs needs to be pushed to get that tingle feeling, but not the e90. My e60'm5 was like that too. I'm probably going to order a g80 awd, I just hope it's not a total let down. I really didn't like the m5 because it lacked the driving drama. Wonderful car, super fast, comfy, but between the fake exhaust noise and lack of driving engagement, it was disappointing.
KevinGS3359.00
      09-10-2021, 10:48 PM   #57
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I drive in manual mode 90% of the time. When you let of the throttle this will throw you into the dashboard in gear. Also this box doesnt feel like the m5. Have u guys driven the m3?
^ this is under heavy load. Anyway this car definitely gives me sweaty palms in manual mode and ive driven alot of crazy shit. Its a monster
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 11:11 PM   #58
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLife View Post
I drive in manual mode 90% of the time. When you let of the throttle this will throw you into the dashboard in gear. Also this box doesnt feel like the m5. Have u guys driven the m3?
^ this is under heavy load. Anyway this car definitely gives me sweaty palms in manual mode and ive driven alot of crazy shit. Its a monster
I've heard from others that the tunning is different and better on the m3 so that's a really positive sign.I haven't had a chance to drive one yet. My dealer doesn't have any because they've traded all their M allocations for x5 and x7 cause they are selling like hot cakes and other dealers barely let you look at one let alone test drive it.

Also, gotta have 2 pairs of the driving gloves with you at all time. 😊 One for you and one for passenger, if there is one. Otherwise, it's sweating all over the place when having fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 08:49 AM   #59
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
at the risk of sounding like an old fart, but an e90/92/93 driving experience with right engine mods, tune, exhaust, suspension, etc is unmatchable. The m5 and my m3cs sound like fart cans compared. There is just something about the analog feeling, all natural noise perfection, and throttle response that makes it so enjoyable to drive. It's a 10 year old car and the current crop don't hold a candle to it for weekend or fun drive. Yes, they have draw backs, but as soon as that engine starts to sing, what drawbacks, who cares. The best part is that it's enjoyable going slow. My Cs needs to be pushed to get that tingle feeling, but not the e90. My e60'm5 was like that too. I'm probably going to order a g80 awd, I just hope it's not a total let down. I really didn't like the m5 because it lacked the driving drama. Wonderful car, super fast, comfy, but between the fake exhaust noise and lack of driving engagement, it was disappointing.
100% agree that the e9X platform is thrilling even at slower speeds. Puts a smile on my face just going to the grocery store.

The G8X feels different than the M5 when going uber fast, because it feels a bit more tossable, and the tranny tuning holding gears is a bit different. The M5 has so much torque everywhere that it doesn't need as aggressive tranny tuning.

But, around town, I think it feels like a baby M5C....which isn't a bad thing at all, IMO. But if you don't like how the M5 drives, it may be an issue. Here's hoping you can get a test drive (or a ride in someone else's car) before you order.

The G8X does have driving engagement, lots of it. And it does have fake noise (but can easily be coded out, which many of us do).

The G8X doesn't sound as good as the M5 V8, and the M5 V8 doesn't sound all that remarkable to me. The G8X does sound better to me than an F8X, but that's not saying much. So when it comes to sound, just keep your expectations really low...
Appreciate 0