BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-03-2024, 03:48 PM   #23
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

I use the card for cleaning the car so it remains unlocked. With the key it kept locking as I moved around. Other use case which I have experienced is when you drop the keys down a storm drain when juggling small kids and shopping. Never found the keys. Having the card to hand always is a good backup.

I have also now set my watch and phone as keys though I’ve no idea how to use a watch to start the car!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 04:34 AM   #24
ObsessedM3C
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
Okay, so I left my key fob at home the past several days and used the digital key (primarily) and the digital card key (occasionally) to access and operate my M4. Takeaways:

1. The car recognizes the digital key more reliably than the digital card key, for purposes of unlocking/locking the car. The "sweet spots" on the door handle are ~1.5" apart; once I learned where they were, the digital key worked 100% of the time. Both devices are reliably recognized in the tray for starting the car.

2. I miss the auto-unlock feature when approaching the car with the key fob in my pocket, especially with hands full of grocery bags. But not so much that I'd revert to carrying a fob in my pocket. It's nice having fewer things in my pockets. (I concurrently replaced my wallet with a business card case with 'essential' items, so now there's nothing in a back pocket.)

3. I had to disable and re-enable the linkage between my driver profile and the digital key. For some reason the car defaulted to the guest profile before manually re-establishing the linkage. (Maybe because I never linked the digital key to my profile when I took delivery 6+ months ago.). It's been working fine (as expected) ever since.
how’d you do step 3? my key fob keeps putting me as a guest while digital key gives me my main profile.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 04:34 AM   #25
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedM3C View Post
how’d you do step 3? my key fob keeps putting me as a guest while digital key gives me my main profile.
It's been long ago enough (years) that I forget. You can access Driver Profiles and remove a profile, then without changing any settings or preferences create a 'new' profile with your key fob in the car. What I don't recall is the whether the digital key (smartphone) recalls the original profile or automatically recognizes the new profile. Time to review the owner's manual!
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2024, 03:47 PM   #26
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedM3C View Post
Tap on the profile icon on the top right, go into Settings, then Driver Recognition. You can check the Digital Key in there.
Appreciate 1