BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

02-22-2023, 11:02 AM   #1
myfirstbimmerM4
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xdrive

Rear Brake pad change, question/help?

I like to do most of the basic maintenance work on my cars instead of taking it to a mechanic but this is my first BMW and anything with an electronic parking brake and there is no real detail information, so I am asking for help if anyone here can.

I know that after I take the motor (electric ebrake) off the caliper, I turn it clockwise to press in the piston.

The question is, do I turn it back to the original position or leave it the way it is. Does the car automatically readjust itself?

Also, do i have to put the car in service/diagnostic mode prior to doing the brakes? Sorry for the newb questions.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 04:34 PM   #2
Triton88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BG M3C, 2016 Focus RS

If you can put the car in to service / diagnostic mode then you don't need to remove the motor from the caliper.

I use BimmerLink and a wireless OBD II connector, when you put the car in to the service mode, the rear calipers parking brake motor automatically retract all the way. If you remove the cap from the brake fluid reservoir its super easy to push the brake piston back in manually, just be careful / go slow. if you had to remove the motor each time i would be going crazy.
Appreciate 2
ATX_M3185.50
      03-04-2023, 07:15 PM   #3
myfirstbimmerM4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton88 View Post
If you can put the car in to service / diagnostic mode then you don't need to remove the motor from the caliper.

I use BimmerLink and a wireless OBD II connector, when you put the car in to the service mode, the rear calipers parking brake motor automatically retract all the way. If you remove the cap from the brake fluid reservoir its super easy to push the brake piston back in manually, just be careful / go slow. if you had to remove the motor each time i would be going crazy.
thank you but doesnt bimmerlink void warranty?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 05:30 AM   #4
blackops23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
2023 M3 Jahre  [10.00]
2019 X3M40i  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstbimmerM4 View Post
thank you but doesnt bimmerlink void warranty?
I guess anything could happen, but Bimmerlink is just diagnostic scan software used with the OBD II port auto manufacturers are required to put into vehicles. I would find it very hard to believe that using this would ever void a warranty. I guess if you used the wrong cable/dongle and messed something up, but it's a pretty straight foreword process.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 08:45 AM   #5
31shifter
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp X-drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstbimmerM4 View Post
I like to do most of the basic maintenance work on my cars instead of taking it to a mechanic but this is my first BMW and anything with an electronic parking brake and there is no real detail information, so I am asking for help if anyone here can.

I know that after I take the motor (electric ebrake) off the caliper, I turn it clockwise to press in the piston.

The question is, do I turn it back to the original position or leave it the way it is. Does the car automatically readjust itself?

Also, do i have to put the car in service/diagnostic mode prior to doing the brakes? Sorry for the newb questions.
It’s much easier to use a piston key to rotate the piston without removing the electric motor. If you don’t have a piston key from a brake piston retractor kit, then you can use needle nose pliers or even lock ring pliers to turn the piston by inserting them into the pin slots and turning clockwise.

The round disks in this kit (as an example) are used to compress and rotate pistons.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 04:17 AM   #6
myfirstbimmerM4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackops23 View Post
I guess anything could happen, but Bimmerlink is just diagnostic scan software used with the OBD II port auto manufacturers are required to put into vehicles. I would find it very hard to believe that using this would ever void a warranty. I guess if you used the wrong cable/dongle and messed something up, but it's a pretty straight foreword process.

good to know, thank you
Appreciate 0