BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-17-2024, 03:28 PM   #1
abenson91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: old

With a valve controller installed what does the exhaust button do?

I just installed my SST valve controller and so far am pleased with the sound until I get a mid pipe.

I know the exhaust button on the center console before made the valves open up to 30%. However now with the controller keeping them all the way open, what does that button do? I notice is changes weather or not ASD is pumping audio in but is that it? Does having it off work the same as coding out ASD?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 04:01 PM   #2
JY01
JY01
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

In sport/sport+, you can toggle the burbles using the exhaust button. It’s nice when you want sport+ throttle mapping with no burbles while keeping valves open with the valve controller.
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2024, 12:23 AM   #3
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenson91 View Post
I just installed my SST valve controller and so far am pleased with the sound until I get a mid pipe.

I know the exhaust button on the center console before made the valves open up to 30%. However now with the controller keeping them all the way open, what does that button do? I notice is changes weather or not ASD is pumping audio in but is that it? Does having it off work the same as coding out ASD?
Pretty sure all it ever changed was just pumped in audio volume + valve timing to exaggerate burbles/turn them off.

I never noticed the button controlling the valves. Are you talking about when in Sport/Sport+? The valves were always closed in comfort engine setting with that button on or off.

With ASD coded out, it only controls burbles.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 04:13 PM   #4
tm811
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 m4 comp xdrive

So, if I deactivated ASD in bimmercode, kept the valves open with a controller, put the car in sport plus, pressed the exhaust button, the burbles would be gone while keeping the properties of sport plus?
I'm wanting to install a midpipe to get some more volume from the exhaust. With my x3m , the burbles with the remus midpipe was just way too obnoxious and got old after about a week and I want to have some control of that.

Last edited by tm811; 04-03-2024 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 04:47 PM   #5
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenson91 View Post

ASD pumps in fake noise. If you turn that button off it reduces, but does eliminate the fake sounds. Get yourself BimmerCode and an approved dongle/cable and code ASD off. It will not only stop the pumped in sound but it will also slightly improve the sound of the audio system. At least for me using loseless audio on a USB stick.

Some people like ASD which is great for them but I don’t need fake exhaust sounds or the exaggerated fake burbles coming through my audio system. Even the “real” burbles when in Sport+ were put there by BMW. There is absolutely no performance advantage to the burbles. I know I’m in the minority on this one but the pops and burbles make me think of clapped out Honda’s. On other cars I’ve had the burbles tuned out. I don’t want to tune my car yet but if I do it will be a burble-less tune.
Appreciate 1
bri10425937.00
      04-03-2024, 05:17 PM   #6
tm811
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
ASD pumps in fake noise. If you turn that button off it reduces, but does eliminate the fake sounds. Get yourself BimmerCode and an approved dongle/cable and code ASD off. It will not only stop the pumped in sound but it will also slightly improve the sound of the audio system. At least for me using loseless audio on a USB stick.

Some people like ASD which is great for them but I don’t need fake exhaust sounds or the exaggerated fake burbles coming through my audio system. Even the “real” burbles when in Sport+ were put there by BMW. There is absolutely no performance advantage to the burbles. I know I’m in the minority on this one but the pops and burbles make me think of clapped out Honda’s. On other cars I’ve had the burbles tuned out. I don’t want to tune my car yet but if I do it will be a burble-less tune.
I see. So after the ASD is coded off w/ bimmercode and the valves are opened with a controller, the exhaust button won't turn off the actual burbles in sport plus?

Yeah, I get the no performance gain part. Moreso the increased throttle response in sport plus vs comfort is what I like the mode for.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 05:42 PM   #7
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm811 View Post
I see. So after the ASD is coded off w/ bimmercode and the valves are opened with a controller, the exhaust button won't turn off the actual burbles in sport plus?

Yeah, I get the no performance gain part. Moreso the increased throttle response in sport plus vs comfort is what I like the mode for.
Correct.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 07:10 PM   #8
tm811
Private
Rep

Quote:
Correct.
ahh too bad... Don't think ill be getting a midpipe then !
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 08:51 AM   #9
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm811 View Post

Quote:
Correct.
No this is incorrect. With ASD fully decoded, the only thing the exhaust button does is be a burble toggle button.

I have ASD completely decoded and if I turn off the exhaust button, even in Sport+, there are no burbles. At all. The entire system is a confusing mess as the button never managed valves or anything, but just some aspects of ASD, burbles included. Since those are not manufactured, the button can still control burbles even with ASD decoded, even in Sport and Sport+.

Last edited by Berzerker; 04-04-2024 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 6
Lupeskew592.00
tm81121.00
Mike02z1977.50
seirk193.00
Rux643.50
      04-04-2024, 01:57 PM   #10
tm811
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
No this is incorrect. With ASD fully decoded, the only thing the exhaust button does is be a burble toggle button.

I have ASD completely decoded and if I turn off the exhaust button, even in Sport+, there are no burbles. At all. The entire system is a confusing mess as the button never managed valves or anything, but just some aspects of ASD, burbles included. Since those are not manufactured, the button can still control burbles even with ASD decoded, even in Sport and Sport+.
Ahhh thanks. Yes this is all so confusing but makes sense now. Midpipe it is
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 06:22 PM   #11
holiday1001
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx; 2022 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

Yep agreed! I only figured this out today, a month after getting the controller!
The M sound control button definetely turns on/off the burbles. Even on downshifts!
Appreciate 0