BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-18-2022, 04:23 PM   #1
Martinjoa
Rep
Drives: m3

M3 50 Jahre order mix up. Please help

Hi!
I was hoping the forum here could help me in what is the best option for me and what you would recommend. I ordered a technoviolet 50 jahre and was getting pretty excited to take delivery soon. I got a phone call today with bad news....BMW accidentally painted my car lime rock grey. It happens to be my least favorite color. I of course can still take the car or can get my money back (deposit of 2,000) but im not sure either is really great for me. Should i ask them to try and source me another? Ask about an allocation for the M3 cs?
what would you guys do?
thanks for the input
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 04:31 PM   #2
catalleres
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjoa View Post
Hi!
I was hoping the forum here could help me in what is the best option for me and what you would recommend. I ordered a technoviolet 50 jahre and was getting pretty excited to take delivery soon. I got a phone call today with bad news....BMW accidentally painted my car lime rock grey. It happens to be my least favorite color. I of course can still take the car or can get my money back (deposit of 2,000) but im not sure either is really great for me. Should i ask them to try and source me another? Ask about an allocation for the M3 cs?
what would you guys do?
thanks for the input
Sorry that happened to you, I can imagine your dissappointment. My 2c, If you really hate the color, you should not take the car. Personally, I think that lime rock gray is a dope color (i'd love one myself). Asking for a CS allocation is not a bad idea if you're willing to wait for that. I bet those will be near impossible to get.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 04:36 PM   #3
unibrowser
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx

Quote:
BMW accidentally painted my car lime rock grey.
Sorry to hear - tough end to a long wait, I'm sure. Are you sure it wasn't the dealership's mistake? Did you see the design/spec sheet for your order or track your order throughout the production/shipping process?

I ask because if it was in fact the dealership's mistake, I might consider taking my business to another dealership. I've looked around and pretty much all dealership's are asking for a mark-up for M3 Jahre.

Personally, I would ask if they could hook me up with an immediate non-Jahre allocation (I believe dealerships can trade for allocations if they don't have one) and also ask them to put me top of list for a CS. Or just ask to be top of list for a CS. IMHO, the Jahre isn't an amazing value given that it's a cosmetic package - I would go for a CS which should come with some sort of actual performance upgrades. But that's just me.
      10-18-2022, 04:37 PM   #4
blackops23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
2023 M3 Jahre  [10.00]
2019 X3M40i  [9.67]
[QUOTE=Martinjoa;29456356]Hi!
BMW accidentally painted my car lime rock grey. It happens to be my least favorite color.

I wonder if the "accidentally" painted it the wrong color or something was up with the allocation? I've heard some dealers had locked in colors for the Jahre edition. And makes sense. In my case, they told me they had a TV allocation and they had to submit a request for interlagos the color I wanted, and that's what was put on the build sheet. I don't think you have much ammo here unless they truly painted your car the wrong color. Tough decision because the wait is long, but in the end you should not settle and get exactly what you want.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 04:39 PM   #5
gs1403
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 6MT

Are you sure the blame is with BMW and not the dealer submitting your build incorrectly? Sounds like a pretty big fuck up for BMW.
2023 G82 M4 Competition / Dravit Grey Ind. / Silverstone/Black Full Merino / Carbon Fiber trim / Bi-color 826M / Executive / M Carbon Ceramic Brakes / Icon Adaptive LED Headlights / M Shadowline Lights / M Carbon Exterior
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2022, 04:51 PM   #6
Martinjoa
Rep

Thats what i was told by the dealership infact he said there was a couple of these cars that got painted wrong. However i dont know what to believe. I spoke with someone at the BMW order tracker hotline and he could only see that it was lime rock gray but couldnt see the original order the dealership submitted. The dealership is very nice and this was a car at MSRP and going to be a second car so its not like its the end of the world i just really like the TV color. If they can grab me an allocation for an M3 CS i think it will be a good solution for everyone.
Appreciate 1
Biimmer70.00
      10-18-2022, 05:00 PM   #7
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Have your dealer trade it with another dealer, contrary to what you read here a lot of people are backing out of these cars. They took the allocation as it was the only one available and without any price at that time . So , if your dealer make some effort , they might be able to do that for you.They will take care of shipping cost . Problem solved
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2619.00
      10-18-2022, 05:14 PM   #8
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
Have your dealer trade it with another dealer, contrary to what you read here a lot of people are backing out of these cars. They took the allocation as it was the only one available and without any price at that time . So , if your dealer make some effort , they might be able to do that for you.They will take care of shipping cost . Problem solved
If you dont want to wait longer, this is really the way to go...have ur dealer reach out to other dealers in the area and trade for it. Since its dealer to dealer, they wont ask for the ridiculous ADM. You can offer to pay for the shipping fees (like $500-1000) if the other dealers are really far off. Not many Jahre are leaving the lot and the demand hasnt been that high as what the dealers expected.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 05:24 PM   #9
biglilsteve
Master Chief
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1403 View Post
Are you sure the blame is with BMW and not the dealer submitting your build incorrectly? Sounds like a pretty big fuck up for BMW.
This - guarantee it wasn't just some schmo in Germany painting the car the wrong color.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 05:36 PM   #10
M3WithAT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Hi!
what would you guys do?
thanks for the input
Quote:
Hi!
what would you guys do?
thanks for the input
More than likely it was not a mix up at BMW. They don't make those kinda mistakes, it was probably the dealer putting it on BMW. I'd take it & wrap it to the color I wAnted
      10-18-2022, 05:49 PM   #11
amrh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx

I can't imagine that a major luxury car manufacturer would make the mistake of painting a car the wrong color. Either the dealership placed the order or had already ordered it.

I wouldn't get a color I don't like. So, definitely pass on it.

If you want a CS, this might be your best shot.

Or, ask for another M3 allocation and request an individual color of your choice at no cost. I doubt they'd give it to you at no cost, but I'd start there.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 06:00 PM   #12
Martinjoa
Rep

I considered ordering one with individual color. They told me I could get one tv as an individual color but I also think that isn’t true. I would have been happy with fire orange too. I asked them about asking other dealers to see if we could find something else but they said nobody would have a 50 jahre. If they would have paid for a wrap i would have been happy but I have heard they only last like 3 years
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 06:09 PM   #13
Martinjoa
Rep

The upside is my wrong car should be available soon if anyone is wanting one!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 06:59 PM   #14
robbys3m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3's

Autohaus bmw in stl got their tv jahre tomorrow if looking...it was available as of yesterday
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 07:26 PM   #15
bibd
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbys3m3 View Post
Autohaus bmw in stl got their tv jahre tomorrow if looking...it was available as of yesterday
Dealer near me had a TV Jahre available a few days back. Markup was substantial though.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 10:19 PM   #16
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Your dealer is feeding with misinformation.
- Its highly unlikely that BMW painted the vehicle with wrong color. Most likely that your dealer messed up the order.
- Since TV is offered in Jahre, it will not be an individual option at least with MY23.

If i were you, i would ask for an upcoming allocation and ask them to pay for the individual color. You can very well try asking for a CS allocation at MSRP.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      10-18-2022, 10:55 PM   #17
Delmoney335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM G80 comp

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
If you were going to pay markup on it. They might have done you a favor. Jahre isn’t worth it to me , ask for a M3cx allocation Indiv color at msrp. come out ahead
s58544.00
      10-19-2022, 07:29 AM   #18
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 04 Rx8, 22 M3P, 23 m3

There’s a red one for sale in Florida. I’d push your dealer to make that happen for sticker one way or another.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 07:56 AM   #19
Martinjoa
Rep

I always make a point to be very easy to work with but i do feel a little like i am owed something. They werent going to make any effort to trade a dealership for color i do like. But like i said a CS allocation was going to be nice until i remembered they are carbon bucket seats only. I am 6'3 270 i have heard those are a no go for big guys. If they would eat the cost on an individual color m3 build i would be happy too. doubtful that happens
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      10-19-2022, 08:13 AM   #20
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
The chances of BMW messing up the order, are zero. The chances of the dealer not knowing how to order a limited production car, are 100%. Good call on the buckets. They aren't made for us, with a little fluff.

I finally sat in some buckets, about 9 months after I got my car. Once you sit in it, at my size, the seat just disappears, and you just look like there's a head rest sticking out of your neck.

Appreciate 1
amrh296.50
      10-19-2022, 08:51 AM   #21
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Everything you have shared about what the dealer is telling you seems not only fishy, some is factually wrong, e.g. getting an individual TV car.

Many 50 Jahre are not selling because they are not worth 1 dollar of ADM, it is only a cosmetic package. It is a pricey car missing some significant options, not very well specced by BWMNA. I did decline an Interlagos one once I knew all the details, dealers did not have a chance to spec these cars and only as couple of days to pick colors. Having said that, I agree with others here that your dealership should do a dealer trade. I do however think that they couldn't care less. I also believe that they will not give you the CS allocation. Time to take your money somewhere else, that's what I would do.

I would not buy a car for 100K in a color that you do not want - hard stop, you will regret it every day.

Sorry about your bad luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 09:11 AM   #22
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Seems like they do have one coming in. If you are able to get it for MSRP, I would go for it

https://www.bmwautohaus.com/new/BMW/...1f76dd6af1.htm
Appreciate 0