BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-17-2022, 10:12 PM   #1
ramz
M3
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i 2023 m3 xdrive comp

Ceramic Coating VS PPF

Hey guys, not sure if there are any threads on this but my m3 will be arriving to port within the next few days here in Cali, and I have been debating whether i should ceramic coat or PPF, or both. I understand the differences between them to an extent but i'm curious on what you guys think/have already done. I will also note that my build is IOMG on full Fiona with buckets, and i blindly ordered it without ever seeing that color combo… i know i'm going to love it since it's bold and different, however, if i plan to wrap the car to say, frozen gray, in a year or so, would getting ceramic coating/ppf be worth it?? it's the little things man i'm just trying to get my mind off the 9 months i've waited for this car lol.

Also, would you guys say get that done as soon as car arrives because knowing my car is in my possession but i have to wait a few days to get that done might drive me crazy but i'm assuming it's worth it in the long run lol

PS i'm in SoCal OC area so if you have any recommendations please let me know
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 10:28 PM   #2
PinkFlamingo
Car Shopping Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Hey guys, not sure if there are any threads on this but my m3 will be arriving to port within the next few days here in Cali, and I have been debating whether i should ceramic coat or PPF, or both. I understand the differences between them to an extent but i'm curious on what you guys think/have already done. I will also note that my build is IOMG on full Fiona with buckets, and i blindly ordered it without ever seeing that color combo… i know i'm going to love it since it's bold and different, however, if i plan to wrap the car to say, frozen gray, in a year or so, would getting ceramic coating/ppf be worth it?? it's the little things man i'm just trying to get my mind off the 9 months i've waited for this car lol.

Also, would you guys say get that done as soon as car arrives because knowing my car is in my possession but i have to wait a few days to get that done might drive me crazy but i'm assuming it's worth it in the long run lol

PS i'm in SoCal OC area so if you have any recommendations please let me know
Do not PPF the car if you plan on wrapping it in a year. It is very difficult to remove PPF especially when only a year old and the adhesive strength is high. If you ceramic coat the car it will be less time consuming and costly to prep the car in a year for wrap. To apply wrap with the best adhesion, the ceramic coating will need to be polished off. Hope that helps
      10-17-2022, 10:40 PM   #3
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

I don't think the PPF is hard to get off, they use steam to help it along. It's sort of waste of money to do PPF and ceramic though if you think you're going to wrap it later. It's not cheap by any means.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2022, 10:44 PM   #4
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

So lets see…you wanna either ceramic coat the car which is about $2000 or do PPF which is about $3500 for frontal or $7000 for a full car only to wrap it in 1 yr and pay for the wrap ? Why? Do urself a favor and buy some mods and save urself the money and just get it wrapped in 1 yr.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 11:46 PM   #5
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Richard Lin at Show Car Perfection in Anaheim area. Good guy, amazing work. However, I would not spend all the money to do all that work only to remove it all later for a wrap.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 11:29 PM   #6
DonkeyKong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80

PPF will protect the paint from rock chips, ceramic coating will not.

Spend the money now and PPF the car. If you want to do it matt, you can get PPF that will make the car matt. PPF that is a year old should come off without issues with steam assist.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 07:46 AM   #7
GoBlue0310
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 IOMG M3CX

Garage List
Why not just get it wrapped now if that’s the plan? You’re wasting money getting PPF/Ceramic now just to remove it all in a year.
Appreciate 0