BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-30-2024, 12:02 PM   #1
t7716
Registered
Rep
Drives: C5 Corvette/Giulia Ti Sport

Exploring High-Performance Daily Drivers/Depreciation

Hey everyone,

This will be a lengthy post lol.. but i think all the info I need to say is important. I've been thinking over some decisions lately and thought this forum would be the perfect place to gather insights. Here's the situation:

I own a 2000 Corvette Manual C5 Convertible in Millennium Yellow, a cherished car from my father. With only 12k miles on the clock, it's more than just a car—it's a treasure trove of memories. Selling or trading this out of the question.

My daily driver, a 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport with a performance package and jb4, has been a joy to own for the past four years. However, with its warranty set to expire next month, I find myself at a crossroads.

Here are my options:
Do Nothing: Hope for the best and ride out any potential issues. While it's been smooth sailing lately, past experiences with a transfer case replacement and an exploding sunroof make me hesitant.
Renew Extended Warranty: Despite the peace of mind, the idea of shelling out thousands for another warranty doesn't sit well with me, especially considering the possibility of losing interest in the car in the near future.

Explore Used Alternatives: I'm leaning towards this. I'm in the market for something with better performance than my Giulia, but not necessarily brand new. Something that wont look old in a couple years, good resale value, and practicality for daily use are high on my list of priorities. Snow-friendliness would be a bonus, although not essential.

In my quest for a replacement, I delved into budget considerations. I've always viewed cars as depreciating assets, and theres a difference between what I can spend and what I should spend has been at the forefront of my mind.

After thorough research, I stumbled upon some eye-opening insights.

Consider this :
https://caredge.com/depreciation
A used 5-year-old Porsche 718, initially purchased for $70k, can sell for $52k after 5 years, costing $18k to drive during that period.

Conversely, a used 5-year-old Giulia, bought for $30k, can only fetch $19k after 5 years, costing $11k to drive.

This calculation was actually spot on. I bought my car in 2020 with 35k miles on it and I paid 30k for it. Now I just checked, and with only putting 24k miles on it in that 4 year time..the value dropped to right around 18k.

The minimal cost difference between the two, despite the Porsche being more than double the initial price, is interesting. This led me to reevaluate my approach to budgetary constraints, placing more emphasis on depreciation when considering generally reliable cars.

Models that fit this and caught my eye:
M2 Competition, although not a fan of how small it looks
G80 M3
M4
Giulia Quadrifoglio (this doesnt depreciate bad. Much better than the ti sport I have)
718 Cayman S/GTS
981 Cayman S
C8 Corvette
Porsche 911 Carrera Base/S/4S (991.2)
C63 S
RS5

Then crazier cars like
Mercedes-AMG GT (2018-2019)
R8 (2015-2018)

I had the opportunity to test drive a Rapid Blue C8 for a couple of days via Turo, and the looks were breathtaking. But, I couldn't shake the nostalgia for the raw feel of my C5. Nevertheless, the smoother ride of the C8 might make it a more suitable daily driver. I've never test driven any porsche before.

So, here's the big question...Do you think transitioning to one of the M's as my daily driver while retaining the C5 for those leisurely top-down cruises is a wise move? I always want to want to drive the c5. I don't want anything to make it obsolete.

Also interested in your thoughts on my approach to depreciation considerations. Does focusing on long-term depreciation make sense to you, or am I overlooking other important factors? I know things like insurance, maintenance, fuel, etc matter but if were talking about generally reliable cars, then it should be fairly equal. I dont wanna spend too much but that also means so much less if the car doesnt depreciate. Especially since I dont drive so much...ive been under 10k miles per year

I recognize this is a BMW forum, I'm open to suggestions. Do you believe any of the cars on my list or off my list would be better suited for me given I have the c5 and my needs? If BMW, which models do you think would be best, years and trims?

Lastly, I've been practicing not using my signals so I can better adapt if I get a BMW. Any other tips?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 01:03 PM   #2
Chapter2099
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CompX

I’ll be limited in my knowledge base on depreciation expertise, but in my opinion, I think you’ll get caught up in that debate rather quickly if you’re not careful. I wouldn’t let depreciation factor into the conversation especially given the options you listed. Any vehicle you get will significantly depreciate and I think the debate for that ends there.

In regards a daily driver, what needs do you have? Will you be transporting a family? Is your commute long, etc.? I think there are so many factors that only YOU can truly know what you should get, but if you post more details, I’ll be more than happy to give my two cents.

I went back and forth for so long with my decision to get a G80 vs another make/model altogether before I pulled the trigger on an allocation. In hindsight, it was a foolish waste of time, but I lived and learned. I’m so happy with my choice.

The G8X will be getting a design in about three-ish years, so if you want a vehicle that will look new in three years, I’m not sure that’s the route you want to go. Three years is a long time though. If it were next year, sure, I’d hold off, but the G8X is just getting an LCI rolling out now.

I went with a G80 and don’t regret it in the slightest. You’re on a BMW forum as you said, so you’re going to get bias, but this is one heck of a vehicle. I don’t think anything can compare in regards to the performance/luxury combo and my needs, for the price. The underline there is important to note. lol

If you need a four-door vehicle, I vote G80 from all that you listed. I hope this helps!

Welcome to the forum!
Appreciate 1
mirob3115.50
      03-30-2024, 01:08 PM   #3
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

If you’re worried about the 2L Giulia, you definitely don’t wanna go the Quad way. The issue has always been the engine and factory tune on that thing, but maybe things have improved over the past couple of years. The new M2 may be small, but it’s on the same chassis platform as the M4, so not that small. Honestly, sedan to sedan, an M3 would be a better choice. You just have to decide between just RWD or XDrive. Find a used one with low miles or even CPO’d and you should be golden. If you don’t want to spend the money on that, then hang onto the Alfa… the 2L is bland but steady per se. The good news is the new S58 engine is finally rock solid and simplified (in a good way), so you could end up keeping that outside of warranty and I wouldn’t worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 02:12 PM   #4
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

M3 xdrive so far holds most depreciation value but with that not super great deals out there to buy one but of course if you look for a while and take time can find something really good.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 06:11 AM   #5
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

I consider my 2024 M4 Comp. X-drive in the same light as I would going on an exotic vacation where after the vacation is over all I will have is the memories to show for my money. It is my "Toy" where I want what will satisfy my desire for performance and luxury best (within what I can afford) and "Cost of Ownership" is on the bottom of the list of factors. (or maybe not even on the list)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 08:49 AM   #6
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by t7716 View Post
Hey everyone,

This will be a lengthy post lol.. but i think all the info I need to say is important. I've been thinking over some decisions lately and thought this forum would be the perfect place to gather insights. Here's the situation:

I own a 2000 Corvette Manual C5 Convertible in Millennium Yellow, a cherished car from my father. With only 12k miles on the clock, it's more than just a car—it's a treasure trove of memories. Selling or trading this out of the question.

My daily driver, a 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport with a performance package and jb4, has been a joy to own for the past four years. However, with its warranty set to expire next month, I find myself at a crossroads.

Here are my options:
Do Nothing: Hope for the best and ride out any potential issues. While it's been smooth sailing lately, past experiences with a transfer case replacement and an exploding sunroof make me hesitant.
Renew Extended Warranty: Despite the peace of mind, the idea of shelling out thousands for another warranty doesn't sit well with me, especially considering the possibility of losing interest in the car in the near future.

Explore Used Alternatives: I'm leaning towards this. I'm in the market for something with better performance than my Giulia, but not necessarily brand new. Something that wont look old in a couple years, good resale value, and practicality for daily use are high on my list of priorities. Snow-friendliness would be a bonus, although not essential.

In my quest for a replacement, I delved into budget considerations. I've always viewed cars as depreciating assets, and theres a difference between what I can spend and what I should spend has been at the forefront of my mind.

After thorough research, I stumbled upon some eye-opening insights.

Consider this :
https://caredge.com/depreciation
A used 5-year-old Porsche 718, initially purchased for $70k, can sell for $52k after 5 years, costing $18k to drive during that period.

Conversely, a used 5-year-old Giulia, bought for $30k, can only fetch $19k after 5 years, costing $11k to drive.

This calculation was actually spot on. I bought my car in 2020 with 35k miles on it and I paid 30k for it. Now I just checked, and with only putting 24k miles on it in that 4 year time..the value dropped to right around 18k.

The minimal cost difference between the two, despite the Porsche being more than double the initial price, is interesting. This led me to reevaluate my approach to budgetary constraints, placing more emphasis on depreciation when considering generally reliable cars.

G80 M3
M4
Giulia Quadrifoglio (this doesnt depreciate bad. Much better than the ti sport I have)
718 Cayman S/GTS
981 Cayman S
C8 Corvette
C63 S
RS5

Then crazier cars like
R8 (2015-2018)

I had the opportunity to test drive a Rapid Blue C8 for a couple of days via Turo, and the looks were breathtaking. But, I couldn't shake the nostalgia for the raw feel of my C5. Nevertheless, the smoother ride of the C8 might make it a more suitable daily driver. I've never test driven any porsche before.

So, here's the big question...Do you think transitioning to one of the M's as my daily driver while retaining the C5 for those leisurely top-down cruises is a wise move? I always want to want to drive the c5. I don't want anything to make it obsolete.

Also interested in your thoughts on my approach to depreciation considerations. Does focusing on long-term depreciation make sense to you, or am I overlooking other important factors? I know things like insurance, maintenance, fuel, etc matter but if were talking about generally reliable cars, then it should be fairly equal. I dont wanna spend too much but that also means so much less if the car doesnt depreciate. Especially since I dont drive so much...ive been under 10k miles per year

I recognize this is a BMW forum, I'm open to suggestions. Do you believe any of the cars on my list or off my list would be better suited for me given I have the c5 and my needs? If BMW, which models do you think would be best, years and trims?

Lastly, I've been practicing not using my signals so I can better adapt if I get a BMW. Any other tips?
The challenge with Porsche are the ADMs dealers are applying to cars and the used market is ridiculous. I spec’d a 911T over COVID at 115K Cdn, that same car now MSRP is 146K prior to dealer ADMs. They just aren’t a value prop at all currently.

I also considered a Cayman GTS 4.0 but the long gearing and a big MSRP increase as well (not including ADMs) also drove me away.

I’m a former Corvette and F-body guy. (Owned 5 F-body’s and a 99 C5 that I purchased exactly 2 months before my wife became pregnant with our first lol)

I have a 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive currently (Dravit, carbon pack, Tartufo, etc.) and love the car especially the performance and luxury / comfort for the price. I’m leasing but will likely buy it out at the end of the lease.

For the cost of a JB4 and a couple of drop in BMC filters a comp X-drive will run mid high 10s without breaking a sweat. It’s a very fast car.

The C8 is a nice car but I wouldn’t look at that platform given your emotional attachment to your C5.

Given the performance envelope personally I wouldn’t consider any BMW without X-drive, they are that good. (G80, G82 or the M5 Comp)

Good luck in your search!
      03-31-2024, 09:06 AM   #7
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:

G80 M3
M4
718 Cayman S/GTS
981 Cayman S
C8 Corvette
C63 S
RS5

Then crazier cars like
R8 (2015-2018)
So, I was in a similar spot over a longer span and went through the following:

Sold BMW 1M and moved to 991.1 base manual, then 991.2 base PDK, then 718 S (4pot PDK), then 991.2 TT PDK then 22 R8 Spyder RWD.

I made money on the 991.2 TT on trade in and then had a dealer offer me $30k more for the R8 during the peak of the crazy time (I live in Canada).

As I had no immediate alternative to replace the R8 I opted for a 2020 M2 Competition on trade as it was very 1M like to me and I really missed that car.

I modified the M2C and can't get enough of it (I prefer smaller cars) and will keep it as my daily when I get something else.

Looking at a 24 M4 Comp but it may be a tad large for my liking...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 10:40 AM   #8
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

The 2024 (or maybe 2025) 718 will be the last ICE version Porsche releases. If you can find an allocation buying this new and driving for a few years could very well see minimal depreciation.

The EV version is coming out in 2025, and the ICE version is already done in the EU.

Maybe not the most ideal daily option though.
      03-31-2024, 12:10 PM   #9
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep
Drives: 2023 G83 BG/FR/ 963M wheels

Or there's this option. Consider a G83 M4 comp AWD convt. Then you can enjoy a top down drive during the week too! I love mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 01:03 PM   #10
MT6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 '19 CTR '14 Accord MT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter2099 View Post
The G8X will be getting a design in about three-ish years, so if you want a vehicle that will look new in three years, I’m not sure that’s the route you want to go. Three years is a long time though. If it were next year, sure, I’d hold off, but the G8X is just getting an LCI rolling out now.

Looking at the new 5 series, it is a platform designed for EV and also being used across ICE. The center of gravity is higher almost a CUV/SUV levels

I think the new 3 series platform will be similar. Will sit high

https://youtu.be/BXEXyxLpXaI?si=knWgtbHc1UT12seW
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 01:31 PM   #11
specced
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, E36 M3

the 911's always do great in value retention, I think it depends on how much you are valuing depreciation, it's going to occur with most of the cars you're looking at especially a g80.

also do you really want another 2 door car, if you have the c5. maybe consider a f80 m3, m340, b9 s4, as these have already hit depreciation and are reliable platforms that probably wont cost much to own.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 02:02 PM   #12
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

As a daily and that you like the Alfa, easy, get a used M3/M4/M2. The newer, the better.

If you don’t mind having three cars, keep the Alfa and get one of the used sports cars you mentioned. Keep in mind that the base cars in Porsches lineup are underwhelming.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 04:26 PM   #13
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
The g80 is a great daily with lower depreciation, although insurance rates have increased. G82/3 experience higher depreciation. And many of us actually use our turn signals.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 04:31 PM   #14
cozye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp - 328ix (hers)

The way I would look at this is how much are you willing to spend to enjoy a daily driver? 10k a year? Thats about where I am and will likely keep my M3 Comp X 8-10 years. For a daily driver, no doubt the M3 is the best on your list. 718 would be a great sports car, and while you can definitely drive it daily, you will make sacrifices. This G80 is a phenomenally executed blend of performance, comfort, and practicality. Every other car on your list will give something to get something.

If you’re not willing to spend 10k a year to enjoy a daily driver, then invest your money in a good ETF and keep what you have.. Depreciation is the last thing I would consider.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2024, 05:04 PM   #15
azonis2021
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3

If you decide to switch over to an M3/M4, you should know that depreciation varies based on the spec of the car. A G80 xDrive, as long as it's decently optioned, i.e., equipped with laser lights, carbon buckets, 360 cameras, and the executive package, will hold its value the strongest. The convertible, as is the trend with all M models, will have the weakest value retention.

To give a real-world data point of how well the G80 holds value, there's this one listed with almost 60k miles, and the dealership is asking $68,995. It's currently the cheapest priced *clean title* xDrive sedan, so I don't think they'll struggle selling it. Assuming the car's trade-in value was in the low 60s, driving a car 58,000 miles and only losing 25% or so in depreciation is incredible for a BMW. https://www.pacificautocenter.com/ve...33ay07nfl82703
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 05:56 PM   #16
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azonis2021 View Post
If you decide to switch over to an M3/M4, you should know that depreciation varies based on the spec of the car. A G80 xDrive, as long as it's decently optioned, i.e., equipped with laser lights, carbon buckets, 360 cameras, and the executive package, will hold its value the strongest. The convertible, as is the trend with all M models, will have the weakest value retention.
My G80comp x-drive had exec and parking and laser lights but no “big” options like full leather or buckets, and I only lost $5k after 10,000 miles. (Part of that may have been the price hikes, and I was iD8 2023.) So I’m not sure it matters how you option other than exec and parking pkgs. Trim level is really important though, I agree. I do wonder about the G80 manual, since I now own one - it’s a bit rare in spec but loaded. Not too worried though, plan to keep it for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 09:57 PM   #17
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Also interested in your thoughts on my approach to depreciation considerations. Does focusing on long-term depreciation make sense to you, or am I overlooking other important factors? I know things like insurance, maintenance, fuel, etc matter but if were talking about generally reliable cars, then it should be fairly equal. I dont wanna spend too much but that also means so much less if the car doesnt depreciate. Especially since I dont drive so much...ive been under 10k miles per year.
Assuming you're paying cash, it makes sense. If you have to take out a loan, obviously you'd be paying a lot more interest on a $70K car as opposed to a $30K car. That's the reason why most people don't drive $70K+ cars.

Speaking of depreciation, I suspect that the current crop of G-series M cars will do quite well for the following reasons:

1. These are probably the last ICE M cars to be produced.
2. With the exception fo some early complaints about styling, these cars are universally praised.
3. BMW finally made an M car with a reliable engine.
4. In addition to being electric, the next generation M2/3/4 will likely be a lot more expensive.
Appreciate 1