home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-11-2023, 02:44 PM   #133
Mautofied17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition xDrive

Are the X3M and M3 systems the same when it comes to sound profile?

Square 826M 20" Wheels, Dinan HAS, Dinan Midpipe, Dinan Axle-Back Exhaust, Dinan 10/12mm Spacers, SST Valve Controller
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 02:54 PM   #134
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
Are the X3M and M3 systems the same when it comes to sound profile?
Different. The X3M system has more in common with the M340i system than any other system actually. The M3 system is a bit more aggressive than the X3M system in general. The X3M needed more "muffling" to combat the larger drone range that accompanies the bigger cabins.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 11:18 AM   #135
Michaeln23
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3CX

Valves not opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH22 View Post
First drive this morning, nice deep sound, and this setup looks incredible from the rear! I was expecting it to be a bit louder under load (seemed very loud free reviving), but I think my resonated single midpipe is keeping this quieter, which is ok with me.

My only complaint; I’ve spent a few hours fine tuning the left valve assembly. There’s a very small threshold to get it just right (by tweaking the spring that sits between the valve and controller). Too loose, and you’ll have some bypassing noises. Too tight, and the valve could vibrate against the gate in the pipe. Not a very big deal, and I’ll probably continue to tweak the spring.

Overall, very happy with this exhaust. I’ve mentioned it before, but due to the two sections, and adjustable tips, this system has a lot of adjustability. May be annoying to some, but I love that you can truly fine tune this thing to sit how you want.
I installed my valved axle back yesterday but the valves wont open at all. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 11:35 AM   #136
Michaeln23
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3CX

Anyone have an install tutorial? Having a hard time getting the valves to open with the stock controller button.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 06:14 PM   #137
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Still unsure which Dinan G8x exhaust configuration is right for you and have queries you need answered?

Is the deeper axle back tone enough? Is there adequate extra volume, and/or an undesirable rasp introduced, with only the X-pipe? Is the full system just too much awesome to handle? Put on your headphones, sit back and prepare yourself for nearly three minutes of sensory magic to help you answer those questions and find your goldilocks setup.

Initial post updated to include the additional video as well.
In your video of Midpipe only, is that with stock exhaust valve control? (No valve controller, no valves wired open)

Cheers!
      01-10-2024, 06:55 AM   #138
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM4 View Post
In your video of Midpipe only, is that with stock exhaust valve control? (No valve controller, no valves wired open)

Cheers!
Factory valve control (no valve controller) and just manipulating modes to open/close as needed.
Appreciate 1
ChrisM41626.00
      02-12-2024, 11:50 AM   #139
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race_Doc11 View Post
I had the x-pipe installed few days ago. It transformed the sound of the car to what it should have been from the factory. No drone and easy to live with almost stock when the valves are closed and deeper tone with more pronounced bubbles when the valves are open. Very satisfied with the sound. The installation was done at the dealership.
Quote:
It has been more than a month now. There is a slight drone when the valves are open but not enough to be noticed. I think it might be exaggerated by the active sound. I do get a lot of compliments when driving in heavy traffic about the sound. Even with the slight drone I would still do it again.
Quote:
I’m interested to hear your feed back. I’m still delighted with mine. I might even add the rear section in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Midpipe is on and I'm really happy with it! Definitely a noticeable increase in sound and the tone is improved over stock. I have a VSC valve controller and coded active sound off and even with the valves fully open stock was whisper quiet inside. With the midpipe, the volume sounds a little louder than stock with active sound but much more natural with more pronounced burbles. Between 2-3k it could be a little deeper sounding but from 4k to redline it sounds incredible! For $720 shipped I'm extremely pleased with it. The shop said the fitment was incredible, too.

I still need someone to drive it from the outside so I can hear it for myself but overall this definitely improved the experience from behind the wheel.
Quote:
I had the mid pipe paired with the Oem back section. I’m considering the back muffler however, I’m worried about the sound becoming obnoxious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaM5 View Post
Simillar challenge here. Also have the mid section with valve controller, and really enjoying the sound. Looking at the back section mostly for the look. According to the vids I’ve seen, adding the back box doesn’t increase too much in the way of volume, but I’ve not heard the combo in person. Could be quite different. 🤷‍♂️
Are you guys finding any drone with the just the Dinan mid pipe, stock muffler and stock valve operation? (just using efficient, sport, sport plus and hitting the sound button in the center console…non valve controller)

Thanks!