Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-14-2022, 01:58 AM   #23
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFAST View Post
The description says it wont throw a CEL. Their design is nearly identical to the R44 catless DP's which several on this forum have had success in NOT throwing a CEL. There's a mini CAT-like sensor within the dp that prevents a CEL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFAST View Post
Also, AhsanU do you have any videos of your exhaust sound? I noticed you have the exact same setup I am planning on (catless DP with valvetronic midpipe). Much appreciated
Ah, yes I see now - as Mike says, it's just a catless downpipe with o2 spacer. You can spend $100 on spacers and $500 on catless downpipes from MAD and save a boatload of money. I personally haven't had a CEL yet from running catless downpipes + a specific set of spacers, but ymmv.

While I'm happy to share my car and the way it sounds, it isn't representative of what you will get as VT have changed their midpipe to accommodate Competition models since there's a bit less space to work with vs. the 6MT. I have 1 of 3 or so midpipes by VT that actually sounds the way it does:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSteve View Post
So just to be clear, I can get catless downpipes that won't throw a CEL, but the R44 downpipes WITH 300 cell cats that I ordered, may or may not throw a CEL. And if I definitely want to go with cats and not get a CEL, I need to get the AA downpipes that cost $3,500.

Does anyone have any first-hand info on the R44 catted downpipes and whether they will throw a CEL light or not? I'm wondering now if I should cancel my order and get the AA catted downpipes.
The problem here is you're looking for a definitive answer when there isn't. Unfortunately, even with 200 or 300 cell catted downpipes, you run the risk of getting a CEL. R44 has many downpipes out there that haven't thrown a CEL yet, but there are reports of many users with the same number of cells inside their downpipes that have gotten a CEL. The only way to guarantee that you won't get a CEL is through AA's GESI catted downpipes. They carry a 100% guarantee, and the odds of you getting a CEL with those downpipes are 0%. However, the odds of you getting a CEL using my setup (completely catless with an o2 spacers/simulators) are probably 10~20% or so; 200 cell would probably be around 10%, and so forth. It's impossible to say with certainty you will or will not get a CEL from 100-300 cell catted downpipes, but we can say with certainty that you will not get a CEL with AA's GESI downpipe.

None of us can really say what's best for you as only you know what you'd like with your setup. Are you looking for more power only? Are you looking to fool the emissions testing equipment mandated by big brother? Are you looking to just add sound but don't want to deal with headaches of CEL?

Hope that clears it up a bit.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 3
IDKBRO678.50
RideFAST123.00
davisy2k177.50
      06-14-2022, 02:13 AM   #24
AKSteve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
None of us can really say what's best for you as only you know what you'd like with your setup. Are you looking for more power only? Are you looking to fool the emissions testing equipment mandated by big brother? Are you looking to just add sound but don't want to deal with headaches of CEL?
Ideally, I would like to add power and sound. I also don't want to deal with any bad smells because I have a convertible, so that's why I'm definitely going with catted downpipes vs. catless. And I don't want a CEL. And like I said, I kind of assumed that since the catless downpipes from R44 were designed to not throw a CEL that their catted downpipes would be a safe bet.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 07:59 AM   #25
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus rx350

Quote:
So just to be clear, I can get catless downpipes that won't throw a CEL, but the R44 downpipes WITH 300 cell cats that I ordered, may or may not throw a CEL. And if I definitely want to go with cats and not get a CEL, I need to get the AA downpipes that cost $3,500.

Does anyone have any first-hand info on the R44 catted downpipes and whether they will throw a CEL light or not? I'm wondering now if I should cancel my order and get the AA catted downpipes.
I would get the apexbuilt catted one. No cel light and save $1k vs AA
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 08:00 AM   #26
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Downpipe install cost

Any idea how much an install of down pipes should run?
Appreciate 1
Fugazii234.50
      06-14-2022, 08:06 AM   #27
LifesAnesthesia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 G82, 911 992

What kind of sound can one expect with catted down pipes?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 09:56 AM   #28
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmooth0101 View Post
Any idea how much an install of down pipes should run?
a couple of hours, $200 - $450 depending on the mechanic rate and whether he charges you 2 or 3 hours for the install

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesAnesthesia View Post
What kind of sound can one expect with catted down pipes?
Both will enhance the sound of the car

catless will get a much louder tone, especially in the high RPM w/ some rasp

catted offers a deeper midrange tone

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
RideFAST123.00
IDKBRO678.50
      06-14-2022, 11:24 AM   #29
RideFAST
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 G82 6MT

"Ah, yes I see now - as Mike says, it's just a catless downpipe with o2 spacer. You can spend $100 on spacers and $500 on catless downpipes from MAD and save a boatload of money. I personally haven't had a CEL yet from running catless downpipes + a specific set of spacers, but ymmv.

While I'm happy to share my car and the way it sounds, it isn't representative of what you will get as VT have changed their midpipe to accommodate Competition models since there's a bit less space to work with vs. the 6MT. I have 1 of 3 or so midpipes by VT that actually sounds the way it does:"

Gotcha, that sounds awesome! I appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 11:31 AM   #30
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Can anyone help differentiate for me the specs of these two catted downpipes both with 300 cell cats?

Is there any practical difference to having a 300 cell gesi cat vs a 300 unbranded cat (which the r44 seems to have)?

https://usa.r44performance.com/produ...ports-downpipe

https://www.shopapexbuilt.com/produc...-hfc-downpipes
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 03:56 PM   #31
Fugazii
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82/2022

Quote:

I just ordered R44 not paying $3,500 bad enough paying $1K!

Last edited by Fugazii; 06-14-2022 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 04:41 PM   #32
Purekoryo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
Have any of you actually noticed power gains?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 04:46 PM   #33
Drift Master
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purekoryo View Post
30-40 HP/Tq not sure how sensitive your butt is but you should notice. More importantly it seems to cut on the engine reaction to inputs and how steep the curve is in addition to the peak numbers. It also make the best if you have a tune that is designed to take advantage off and a good intake.

Intake to get air into the engine and tune to have the engine take advantage of that extra air and how fast the air get out without restrictions.

It's a bottle neck issue one without the others is restricted from reaching full potential
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 06:11 AM   #34
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Master View Post
Quote:
30-40 HP/Tq not sure how sensitive your butt is but you should notice. More importantly it seems to cut on the engine reaction to inputs and how steep the curve is in addition to the peak numbers. It also make the best if you have a tune that is designed to take advantage off and a good intake.

Intake to get air into the engine and tune to have the engine take advantage of that extra air and how fast the air get out without restrictions.

It's a bottle neck issue one without the others is restricted from reaching full potential
Question - when you say a tune, how does one know what tune is appropriate for their specific situation (bms intake, valve controller, catted downpipe for example)?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 07:16 AM   #35
Purekoryo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Which downpipe do you have and any other exhaust mods? And yes I can typically feel at least 20-30hp/tq bump.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 07:24 AM   #36
Drift Master
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Question - when you say a tune, how does one know what tune is appropriate for their specific situation (bms intake, valve controller, catted downpipe for example)?
If you have an unlocked ECU you can get a custom tune.

If your doing a piggy back like JB4 or racechip they have different maps for different setups you can explore. It's not the same as a custom map but with the current situation of unlocking the ECU until an OBD unlock is available it seems to be the best option for most.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 07:29 AM   #37
Drift Master
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Which downpipe do you have and any other exhaust mods? And yes I can typically feel at least 20-30hp/tq bump.
This is my planned setup:

EVOLUTION RACEWERKS SPORTS SERIES HIGH FLOW CATTED DOWNPIPES 200 cell

CG PRECISION VSC-2 - VARIABLE SOUND CONTROLLER

I am planning to leave the mid pipe alone for now, however a cat back or a first resonator delete is a possibility based on how the sound is for me.

BMS Drop-In Performance Air Filters

JB4 Tuner

Picking up my car in few weeks in performance center. I can't wait for these parts to get on the car. It's been a long year trying to get my hand on the car. Allocations, delays and delays…
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2022, 02:48 PM   #38
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

I am planning to leave the mid pipe alone for now, however a cat back or a first resonator delete is a possibility based on how the sound is for me.

JB4 Tuner

Picking up my car in few weeks in performance center. I can't wait for these parts to get on the car. It's been a long year trying to get my hand on the car. Allocations, delays and delays…
I did the downpipes on my car first, and it sounded great; once I added the midpipe, the cold start became unbearable.

I recommend you either do downpipes or an exhaust. Don't do both unless you are looking for a super aggressive setup and do not mind the raspiness on high RPM

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2022, 02:59 PM   #39
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:

JB4 Tuner

The ER line is fantastic quality, you won't be disappointed.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2022, 06:10 PM   #40
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Ah, yes I see now - as Mike says, it's just a catless downpipe with o2 spacer. You can spend $100 on spacers and $500 on catless downpipes from MAD and save a boatload of money. I personally haven't had a CEL yet from running catless downpipes + a specific set of spacers, but ymmv.

While I'm happy to share my car and the way it sounds, it isn't representative of what you will get as VT have changed their midpipe to accommodate Competition models since there's a bit less space to work with vs. the 6MT. I have 1 of 3 or so midpipes by VT that actually sounds the way it does:

The problem here is you're looking for a definitive answer when there isn't. Unfortunately, even with 200 or 300 cell catted downpipes, you run the risk of getting a CEL. R44 has many downpipes out there that haven't thrown a CEL yet, but there are reports of many users with the same number of cells inside their downpipes that have gotten a CEL. The only way to guarantee that you won't get a CEL is through AA's GESI catted downpipes. They carry a 100% guarantee, and the odds of you getting a CEL with those downpipes are 0%. However, the odds of you getting a CEL using my setup (completely catless with an o2 spacers/simulators) are probably 10~20% or so; 200 cell would probably be around 10%, and so forth. It's impossible to say with certainty you will or will not get a CEL from 100-300 cell catted downpipes, but we can say with certainty that you will not get a CEL with AA's GESI downpipe.

Hope that clears it up a bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 06:14 PM   #41
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
You can use our Catless Downpipes with these http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/angled-cel-fix.html.

We have many customers running with no cel.
Holy shit that website brings me back to 1996. So retro.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 06:23 PM   #42
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
LOL I know don't even try it on a phone browser.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 06:42 PM   #43
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can anyone help differentiate for me the specs of these two catted downpipes both with 300 cell cats?

Is there any practical difference to having a 300 cell gesi cat vs a 300 unbranded cat (which the r44 seems to have)?

https://usa.r44performance.com/produ...ports-downpipe

https://www.shopapexbuilt.com/produc...-hfc-downpipes
Anyone? An explanation would be much appreciated for this novice.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 08:10 PM   #44
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Scroll to the bottom...

COPYRIGHT 1996-2018 Big Daddies Garage, all rights reserved.

Appreciate 0