BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

04-13-2024, 10:21 AM   #1
DJPoop
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 C63s Coupe

Ordering a 2025 M4 - Couple Questions

Hi folks,

Former F82 owner here. I'm in the process of ordering a new G82, so have a few questions. The build sheet from the salesman I've been working with is attached.

1. It sounds like getting a discount off of MSRP isn't much of a thing, so this seems like a fair deal considering they're taking something off. Just want to make sure they're not adding any BS junk fees or anything like that that I can contest.

2. What are opinions on the prepaid maintenance packages. My understanding is these also cover wear and tear items like brake pads and rotors, so it sounds like it might be a worthwhile cost, but curious what folks' opinions are.

3. This question is a little off topic, but my current car is a 2018 C63s and it needs new rotors. I replaced the pads a year or so ago but it's definitely due to have the rotors changed now (brakes are pretty squeaky). Will that ding me enough on the trade in that it would be worth it spend the couple grand to change them beforehand?

I guess my last question is, I've never ordered a BMW before--I did with my Mercedes and Audis in the past--but anything in particular that's unique to ordering a BMW I should know.

Thanks all!

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 12:03 PM   #2
///M_Sandman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW M4 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPoop View Post
Hi folks,

Former F82 owner here. I'm in the process of ordering a new G82, so have a few questions. The build sheet from the salesman I've been working with is attached.

1. It sounds like getting a discount off of MSRP isn't much of a thing, so this seems like a fair deal considering they're taking something off. Just want to make sure they're not adding any BS junk fees or anything like that that I can contest.

2. What are opinions on the prepaid maintenance packages. My understanding is these also cover wear and tear items like brake pads and rotors, so it sounds like it might be a worthwhile cost, but curious what folks' opinions are.

3. This question is a little off topic, but my current car is a 2018 C63s and it needs new rotors. I replaced the pads a year or so ago but it's definitely due to have the rotors changed now (brakes are pretty squeaky). Will that ding me enough on the trade in that it would be worth it spend the couple grand to change them beforehand?

I guess my last question is, I've never ordered a BMW before--I did with my Mercedes and Audis in the past--but anything in particular that's unique to ordering a BMW I should know.

Thanks all!

Congrats on the build!

1. There are whole threads about MSRP, seems it all depends on where you are, the demand, what dealership. Some people seem to be able to get discounts off MSRP others like myself it was a no go. There are different BMW discounts that change monthly. BMW does have a military discount that is not only military personnel but also their families. No current BMW loyalty discount, but have your SA check every month till delivery.

2. Prepaid maintenance /extended warranty kinda really depends on your risk tolerance. But you should enquire whether it is a dealer based program or a corporate program, transferability, and most importantly what exactly is covered (brakes, differential, spark plugs, etc). Also need to consider how and how much you drive. I too had a F82, got the extended maintenance cuz of the worry about brakes, for me I am 90% highway driving, after 40k miles when I traded it in it still had over 50% of the pads still left! The extended warranty/maintenance was kind of wasted money. Also had something else, I believe with the differential, that I thought would have been covered but it wasn't and was a couple $k.

3. Typically you won't recoup the cost of the brakes on the trade in value, cuz most dealerships sell off the trade in's to wholesalers who can put on the rotors cheaper than you can get them put on. But if sell it yourself it could be worth it to do the brakes as many private buyers are not going to want to buy knowing it needs brakes, limiting your buying pool.

I've ordered 6 BMWs total. They are fun to order and follow throughout the process.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 12:10 PM   #3
jrhav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 ZCP 6MT

Hi OP - auto brokers are able to secure 6% off MSRP on a 2025 G82 (at least here in the NE - not sure how/if this travels). I was able to easily leverage this with my local'ish dealers to secure 5% off MSRP on a new custom build (plus any applicable incentives at time of delivery). NOTE - there seems to be zero to minimal negotiation off MSRP with a G80, but you seem to be in the market for a G82, so this is something you can reasonably shoot for.

From what I've read about maintenance, it did not sound like something that you should be purchasing with the new vehicle as you should have the option to add it later (if you want) and negotiate the cost with the selling dealer at that time --- I have read that there is a decent amount of margin in the MSRP of this option which, while non-negotiable as a seperate line item on a new build, would certainly be negotiable as a stand-alone option down the line IF you decided to add it (I will pass on it, and use the $$ + interest saved towards any future repairs/parts).
      04-14-2024, 09:34 AM   #4
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
What’s with the pic? I haven’t seen a picture that low-res in like 30 years. Repost it if you can.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2024, 11:09 AM   #5
DJPoop
Private
United_States
Rep

Excellent, thanks so much for the answers/advice!

As for the pic—it’s a thumbnail, you have to click it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 11:27 AM   #6
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Excellent, thanks so much for the answers/advice!

As for the pic—it’s a thumbnail, you have to click it.
I did. It still loads low-res.

Edit: it's the site you're using to host, not mobile friendly at all. After looking at it on the computer, skip the maintenance plan, even if you're keeping it long term, you can add it after the fact. The discount is ok, ~$2500/2.5%, you could probably do better if you looked around. M3 is tough to get steep discounts, but even on MY25 M4 you should be able to find 5-8% easily. And if they gave you that 2.5% because of the maintenance plan, then definitely renegotiate or move on.

Otherwise, nice build - good color combo.

Last edited by 'Cane; 04-14-2024 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 12:35 PM   #7
DJPoop
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
I did. It still loads low-res.

Edit: it's the site you're using to host, not mobile friendly at all. After looking at it on the computer, skip the maintenance plan, even if you're keeping it long term, you can add it after the fact. The discount is ok, ~$2500/2.5%, you could probably do better if you looked around. M3 is tough to get steep discounts, but even on MY25 M4 you should be able to find 5-8% easily. And if they gave you that 2.5% because of the maintenance plan, then definitely renegotiate or move on.

Otherwise, nice build - good color combo.
Thanks man! A bit of new development -- the wife is also in the market to replace her '18 A4, was set on a Q5, but has recently decided she wants the new gen X5 that's coming out instead. I spoke to the dealer today and told them to put together a deal based on both of our orders ('25 X5 ordering isn't open yet, but I said I'd put down a deposits on both), plus our trade ins. I think I should be able to negotiate something good with two purchases plus trade-ins.

That brings me to another question. If we put together a deal on the purchase price of the builds--which will take a few months to be built and delivered--what happens if I get a better deal selling the old car(s) rather than trading them in? Does the dealer still have to honor the purchase price(s) they agreed on and we put deposits on if we pay cash because we sold the cars privately versus trading them in?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 01:07 PM   #8
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That’s a conversation you need to have with your CA/dealership. A lot of times they’ll plan on the potential profit of the trade-ins to make up for the difference in sale price reductions.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 08:27 PM   #9
Marius1585
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW M3

Quote:

That brings me to another question. If we put together a deal on the purchase price of the builds--which will take a few months to be built and delivered--what happens if I get a better deal selling the old car(s) rather than trading them in? Does the dealer still have to honor the purchase price(s) they agreed on and we put deposits on if we pay cash because we sold the cars privately versus trading them in?
They may be counting on the profit from selling 4 vehicles (two to you, and two that you trade in), but here's how I would approach it. I am generally not in favor of trading in any vehicles, because I've never felt like I was getting a good deal. Trading IMHO is purely for convenience and avoiding the hassle of selling. However, I am happy to hassle a bit if it means more $$ in my pocket.

Below is the order of actions I would do (and often have):

1. punch in your VINs to Carvana & Carmax to sell in order to get a feeling for what they would give (that changes based on how many vehicles similar to yours they already have in inventory). This should give you some kind of a baseline. It will be a number, plus your initial reaction to the number you see (may be good, may be bad).

2. When you do your next service or when you're around town, go to your local dealers and ask them what they would give you for your car (sale, not trade in) - this will further confirm the baseline if number close to #1 above, or give you an idea how much the dealer is lowballing if number far from #1 above

3. check autotrader, cargurus, local dealerships & carvana/carmax for vehicle most similar to yours - see what they're selling for.

General rules of thumb, that I believe applies 90% of the time:
- you can always get more selling yourself, rather than trading in or selling to dealer
- you should shop around and be persistant in getting a realistic deal you want for purchase of new vehicles
- you should not pay for any ADM unless you're buying a 911 GT3 - just my opinion

My recommendation would be to negotiate purchase price with the dealer before you put deposit down. I just ordered a G80 M3 and negotiated about 1% under MSRP. I imagine a high volume sales item like X5 would be significantly lower than MSRP, although I have absolutely no idea about the X5 market.
Then, if your #2 above makes sense independent of the purchase agreement, explore more. Otherwise, sell elsewhere especially since you have time. You can always come back and trade in the day you purchase, that could be your last resort.

Some examples from my experience that validate my approach:

- Dealer first offered $13k to buy my wife's 52k mile 2017 Honda accord, when I showed him that his location is selling a similar one for $21k, he came back and offered me $18k. I didn't bite and am confident will sell for closer to $20k.

- Carvana and dealer offered me $59k and $60k for selling my 2021 F87 M2 comp with 2k miles, I laughed and sold it for $69k myself (Covid crazy market)

- Dealer and others on forum offered me $66k-$68k on a 2022 G80 M3 with 8k miles and although good deals, I had time and wanted to explore more, ended up just selling it for $72k this past weekend.

- My local BMW dealership wanted a $5k ADM and a $5k deposit for G80 orders over the last 2 years, I laughed at them and called dealers around other states and got slightly under MSRP in 2022 and again in 2024.

They key for me is being flexible and knowing what's most valuable for you. If convenience, all good. I personally like the feeling like I'm solving a problem and chasing a deal a bit.
2004 E46 ///M3 Carbon Black
2004 E46 ///M3 Titanium Silver SOLD
Appreciate 0