BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-31-2023, 11:58 AM   #23
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojg View Post
That's great as I will be down there in the spring at the BMW Performance Center for my one day training. I'm sure after my time on the track that will help while driving on the road while there.
I lived in PA until 5 years ago and the many drivers down here are CRAZY. No one uses turn signals, most drive 10 under the speed limit and they ride the left lane. No one uses the horn. If you use your horn a native would call you a Yankee. I’ve sat at a light after it changed 3 times and the first person didn’t move and everyone just sat there. I finally went around but not even a short beep to say “wake up”. There is also no state inspection or emissions test so people drive around in death traps. There is also a personal property tax on cars/ boats unless they are 10 years old which makes more people drive shit buckets.
The good news is no worry about downpipes etc as no one ever checks.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 12:13 PM   #24
Joachim
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition X-Drive [2022]

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolband66 View Post
You guys are lucky. Italy is crazy (Europe in general) with speed cameras. I got a ticket last month going-I kid you not 1km over the speed limit. That’s .62 mph over lol. I hate it here
Brother in trouble!

Sad that our police isn't present nor interested on real reckless drivers:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...am+compilation

All this happens in Germany as well.
      10-31-2023, 12:57 PM   #25
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

#1 Always get an attorney.

#2. Speed in short, controlled bursts.

#3. Radar and Waze are useful, but are not fool-proof. Always use your eyes and sense. Last summer, Radar and Waze tagged about 50% of the cops I saw on the side of the road. 50%...
Appreciate 2
LENBMW2.00
BimmerFix1390.50
      10-31-2023, 01:35 PM   #26
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

One of the many reasons I can think of for having a six speed. I just use first and second gears in the city. Third and above gears for track run.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 09:20 PM   #27
RingRing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 G82 6MT DG/KO

Same here, last ticket was in ‘88 I think. Got one driving my son to college. 74 in a 55.

I bought a radar detector after that. Mostly to keep me on my toes.

The issue for me is that at 80+ mph the M4 feels like it’s maybe doing 60. So if I’m not paying attention it’s easy to drift faster and not realize it.

You can often run with traffic at 80 to 90 on the expressways around Chicago and you get use to the speed so 60 feels like nothing. Honestly, 90 doesn’t feel like that fast in the M4 either compared to the other stuff I’ve driven.

Same problem after a day at the track. Speed limit feels like a crawl on the way home!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 05:52 AM   #28
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
I lived in PA until 5 years ago and the many drivers down here are CRAZY. No one uses turn signals, most drive 10 under the speed limit and they ride the left lane. No one uses the horn. If you use your horn a native would call you a Yankee. I’ve sat at a light after it changed 3 times and the first person didn’t move and everyone just sat there. I finally went around but not even a short beep to say “wake up”. There is also no state inspection or emissions test so people drive around in death traps. There is also a personal property tax on cars/ boats unless they are 10 years old which makes more people drive shit buckets.
The good news is no worry about downpipes etc as no one ever checks.
I don't know where you lived but there has been a state inspection as long as I can remember. The emissions test is a gas cap test and the only purpose is revenue. There is no "Personal Property Tax", just the normal Sales Tax. As for State Inspections they are only money making for garages as the people with junkers have friends to put stickers on their vehicles regardless of condition.

Drivers are incompetent to drive - YES
Nobody uses turn signals - YES
Drive 10 mph under speed limit - YES
Ride your bumper even if you are doing 10 mph over speed limit - YES
Expect you to change lanes so they don't have to merge - YES
Pass you at 30 mph over speed limit only to be behind you a mile down the road - YES
Left lane huggers - YES
No horns - YES
Only one person makes it through each green light - YES
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 06:43 AM   #29
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't know where you lived but there has been a state inspection as long as I can remember. The emissions test is a gas cap test and the only purpose is revenue. There is no "Personal Property Tax", just the normal Sales Tax. As for State Inspections they are only money making for garages as the people with junkers have friends to put stickers on their vehicles regardless of condition.

Drivers are incompetent to drive - YES
Nobody uses turn signals - YES
Drive 10 mph under speed limit - YES
Ride your bumper even if you are doing 10 mph over speed limit - YES
Expect you to change lanes so they don't have to merge - YES
Pass you at 30 mph over speed limit only to be behind you a mile down the road - YES
Left lane huggers - YES
No horns - YES
Only one person makes it through each green light - YES
I think you misunderstood. In PA there are anual inspections and in some counties emissions tests. I was talking about the differences between PA and SC. There is no state inspection in SC. At least not in the 5 years I have been down here. I heard there used to be but that predates my time in SC😉
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 07:05 AM   #30
M4ord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Similar story....as soon as i got through break in period. Following behind a truck carrying loose yard clippings (branches, bags of lawn grass, etc.). Truck is going about 10 miles under speed limit because of a small slower car in fron of them. Im doing 40, speed limit is 50 I put on the turn signal (new BMW driver, haha) and floor the thorttle. By the time I pass the second car I am doing 90+ MPH and as I merge back into the lane a Ford Inteceptor (currently the most popular police vehicle in U.S.) is coming from the opposite direction. No chance to break and he immedialy U-Turns. I pull over and and waiting for him on the side of the road when he comes back into visual range. I explain "Sorry its a new car and it got away from me while passing a slow truck". I also had my top down so I was in full show off mode with the car. Cop says he understands goes back to his vehicle and writes me a $500 dollar ticket. Needless to say I had an R8 hanging off the windshield 48 hours later.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 09:23 AM   #31
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

As long is it is a legal passing area I read once where it was allowed to use whatever speed was needed to safely complete the pass. if you are almost past the vehicle and they step on the gas, and a car is coming in the opposite direction, and there is not enough time to brake and tuck behind the vehicle you are passing, what else is there to do (provided you have the horsepower).

I would have told him that the guy you were passing stepped on the gas and wouldn't let you back in the lane and asked the cop if he preferred that you ran into him.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 10:14 AM   #32
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
As long is it is a legal passing area I read once where it was allowed to use whatever speed was needed to safely complete the pass. if you are almost past the vehicle and they step on the gas, and a car is coming in the opposite direction, and there is not enough time to brake and tuck behind the vehicle you are passing, what else is there to do (provided you have the horsepower).

I would have told him that the guy you were passing stepped on the gas and wouldn't let you back in the lane and asked the cop if he preferred that you ran into him.
I don't think this is true. It's a general speed limit. It's entirely up to the officer whether to enforce the law if you explain that you were just overtaking someone, but you're technically breaking the law no matter what.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 12:51 PM   #33
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I do know that it is illegal for a car that is being overtaken to change their speed until the overtaking has been completed. If that has happened you may be forced into exceeding the speed limit to complete the overtake. Especially if a vehicle is approaching in the left lane and there isn't time to brake and abort the overtake.

Same as in a no passing zone. If you need to go into the left lane to avoid an accident if someone pulls out in front of you, you should not get sited for breaking the law. Safety is the priority and not the law. Sometimes the law needs to be broken and not be prosecuted for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 12:53 PM   #34
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
#1 Always get an attorney.

#2. Speed in short, controlled bursts.

#3. Radar and Waze are useful, but are not fool-proof. Always use your eyes and sense. Last summer, Radar and Waze tagged about 50% of the cops I saw on the side of the road. 50%...
Good tips , I always have Waze on myself. Helps tremendously no radar tho

#4 - Take your speed on turns & bends . And not straightaways where cops/troopers are hiding
It's more fun anyways ...
harperium1313.00
      11-04-2023, 10:41 AM   #35
showmatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition

This is why I miss driving in Korea. The cops DO NOT pull you over for speeding as there are speed cameras everywhere. BUT, they're easy to spot because all the GPS over there will tell you where they are, up to 1km away. So just slow down, pass the camera, then floor it lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 02:08 PM   #36
Juanero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pcars, TOYcars, M3Cx

Do the responsible thing and....

.....get a radar detector! lol
too easy to speed in these cars; they can help remind you how fast you may go
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 02:08 PM   #37
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
Yeah, you guys have it rough. I’ve seen all those speed cameras everywhere in Europe. Luckily in my state speed/red light cameras are illegal. At least for now.
Texas (at least Collin County) too
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 03:07 PM   #38
kiw1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
I suggest you invest in a uniden r8 and have it hardwired. Won't help with the speed issue as much as it's going to tell u when the popo is around. Mine catches about 90% of the cops before I can spot them. Since it's going to be very hard to keep it at speed limit with the m3, this is the first upgrade any ///M owner should do.
This to be honest
2012 Audi A4 Avant - SOLD
Insta: mtn_m3cx
Appreciate 0