BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-20-2023, 07:06 PM   #23
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
Messing with air intake of a high-performance engine, "LOL" is what you will get from BMW.
And they want and will use every possible reason to deny warranty especially with something as expensive as the engine.

There's a good chance the car was running a tune because almost nobody just installs an air intake for the sake of it.
BMW (not you as the owner) has to prove that whatever was done to the car was a direct reason for whatever warranty issue you have. If they can't do that, then they must, legally, honor any warranty claim on the car. If they ever give you a hard time, a quick $35 file in small claims + a notice is usually all it takes for them to cave.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2023, 07:36 PM   #24
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Not sure you are trolling. Right now I would bet anything, more owners have intake /exhaust and springs than the ones tuned. ( G series ) They are not voiding you warranty for an intake still. Lol. Please show me where anyone EVER got shot down with an intake.
Exactly - my car has springs/mid-pipe/BMC filters (I considered cold air intake). My car has had exceptional care.

The two owners is a red flag - doesn't mean it's garbage, just increases odds of a problem. It NEEDS to cost less than market. Two owners hurts value. Less expensive AND a dealer inspection I think are musts.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 07:44 PM   #25
akl1234
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Comp

Quote:
Messing with air intake of a high-performance engine, "LOL" is what you will get from BMW.
And they want and will use every possible reason to deny warranty especially with something as expensive as the engine.

There's a good chance the car was running a tune because almost nobody just installs an air intake for the sake of it.
I did call the local service center and they said the only reason they would deny it is if was the cause or components related/linked to it…. So sure I guess what you are saying is truthful. But realistically I would revert it to stock Hope someone wants to trade haha.

Also I wouldn’t suppose A performance shop could look into if a tune existed? The flash count and such?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 07:46 PM   #26
akl1234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Lou View Post
Exactly - my car has springs/mid-pipe/BMC filters (I considered cold air intake). My car has had exceptional care.

The two owners is a red flag - doesn't mean it's garbage, just increases odds of a problem. It NEEDS to cost less than market. Two owners hurts value. Less expensive AND a dealer inspection I think are musts.
Not asking a crazy amount. But having it inspected by Eurocharged as I figure they would do a good job at looking into everything. I suppose I could call the local BMW dealer….
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 08:01 PM   #27
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
I would have a BMW dealer run diagnostics on it and confirm it never had a piggyback etc. If he had a JB4 or similar on it after the last service interval it wouldn’t show up in the service records but if you run into an issue and they find it you’ll be SOL.

Two owners, lowering springs and an intake would make me pass.
      08-20-2023, 08:13 PM   #28
akl1234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM3 View Post
I would have a BMW dealer run diagnostics on it and confirm it never had a piggyback etc. If he had a JB4 or similar on it after the last service interval it wouldn’t show up in the service records but if you run into an issue and they find it you’ll be SOL.

Two owners, lowering springs and an intake would make me pass.
Would BMW be the only ones able to find this? I requested Eurocharged simply because performance oriented and such.... But guess I could ask them once I call tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 01:21 AM   #29
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 m3c

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Not sure you are trolling. Right now I would bet anything, more owners have intake /exhaust and springs than the ones tuned. ( G series ) They are not voiding you warranty for an intake still. Lol. Please show me where anyone EVER got shot down with an intake.
Looks like I wasted my time on a clueless troll.
Read what the OP just posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 01:28 AM   #30
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 m3c

Quote:
Originally Posted by akl1234 View Post
I did call the local service center and they said the only reason they would deny it is if was the cause or components related/linked to it…. So sure I guess what you are saying is truthful. But realistically I would revert it to stock Hope someone wants to trade haha.

Also I wouldn’t suppose A performance shop could look into if a tune existed? The flash count and such?
Unfortunately that's how they operate, they will definitely find any way to link modified airflow to a failure should it happen.

Do I believe it can cause an actual engine issue? Nope. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Like others said as well, there's also a probability the car had a tune (and BMW also knows that) so they will dig deeper.

No matter what some forum trolls will tell you, BMW ISTA will *always* flag a tune, even if it was "completely " removed.
So best bet would be to have a dealer perform a check.
Appreciate 1
akl123446.50
      08-21-2023, 06:06 AM   #31
akl1234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately that's how they operate, they will definitely find any way to link modified airflow to a failure should it happen.

Do I believe it can cause an actual engine issue? Nope. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Like others said as well, there's also a probability the car had a tune (and BMW also knows that) so they will dig deeper.

No matter what some forum trolls will tell you, BMW ISTA will *always* flag a tune, even if it was "completely " removed.
So best bet would be to have a dealer perform a check.
Looks like I’m calling the dealer this AM! At least some peace of mind from my end. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 04:29 PM   #32
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I had a friend with a G82 M4 which got into an accident twice with repairs costing way over $10-15k. First accident both his passenger wheels were damaged, door damaged, and the side skirt area on the passenger side. Second accident he was rear ended by a truck and had his rear diffuser damaged, bumper, and the impact bar (they had to pull it out by removing the bumper). For both incidents it was never reported to carfax. I'd ask to get the paint depth checked for any respray. That'll give you an indication if the car was part of any accidents.
Appreciate 1
akl123446.50
      08-21-2023, 04:58 PM   #33
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

My advice: Make sure previous owner didn't wear whatever caused this (the location on the cushion has me highly suspicious):

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2042079
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 04:59 PM   #34
akl1234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
My advice: Make sure previous owner didn't wear a buttplug in the car uncovered:

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2042079
HAHAHAH actually that was option number 2 I am waiting on him to get back to me on whether they will fix it or not
Appreciate 0