BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-21-2022, 10:33 AM   #23
knerr57
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent View Post
I know these braces are 3D designed to fit exactly like the OEM, but was there any testing to show that the replacement provides the correct strength and stiffness for what it is supposed to do? Being a strut brace.

Yours does look very nice btw.
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, we did a strain analysis of the stock braces to gauge the necessary rigidity because we did not want to add too much stiffness to the front end and negatively impact the mechanical grip of the chassis. We've designed our braces to be very close to OEM.

Then we did NDT on our own braces and found that, while they had an appropriate amount of flexural rigidity, they had too much torsional flex. This actually delayed production for a few weeks because we needed to special order a specific thickness Rohacell core material- this is one of the highest performance core materials that we could get and is autoclave compatible.
The average total thickness of the carbon is about 6mm (and up to 14 at the mounting points.

Edit for clarity: in our original design, the braces had the same overall thickness, bet were more of a C channel design. I knew that C channels are naturally more flexible in torsion than a box tube, but I underestimated the amount of flex. By adding in the core material, we created a box inside the composite lamination that gave us the exact properties we were after.

These things use quite a lot of carbon to produce despite looking so narrow, but the total weight is 970 grams (2.1 pounds).

The reason they take up so much carbon is because the patterns that need to be cut out of the prepreg are quite large and are not able to be tessellated in an efficient manner because it requires many layers of the pattern at 0* and offset at 45* to give even strength in every direction.

Last edited by knerr57; 02-21-2022 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: For clarity
Appreciate 8
      02-21-2022, 09:04 PM   #24
M4Tejas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G82 M4xDrive

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Who makes this one....have the same look on my Z4
https://vargasturbo.com/product/vtt-...-strut-braces/

2022 M4 Comp xDrive Aventurin Red Metallic
https://wieninger.de/ Seit 1666

Last edited by M4Tejas; 02-21-2022 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2022, 12:03 AM   #25
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by knerr57 View Post
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, we did a strain analysis of the stock braces to gauge the necessary rigidity because we did not want to add too much stiffness to the front end and negatively impact the mechanical grip of the chassis. We've designed our braces to be very close to OEM.

Then we did NDT on our own braces and found that, while they had an appropriate amount of flexural rigidity, they had too much torsional flex. This actually delayed production for a few weeks because we needed to special order a specific thickness Rohacell core material- this is one of the highest performance core materials that we could get and is autoclave compatible.
The average total thickness of the carbon is about 6mm (and up to 14 at the mounting points.

Edit for clarity: in our original design, the braces had the same overall thickness, bet were more of a C channel design. I knew that C channels are naturally more flexible in torsion than a box tube, but I underestimated the amount of flex. By adding in the core material, we created a box inside the composite lamination that gave us the exact properties we were after.

These things use quite a lot of carbon to produce despite looking so narrow, but the total weight is 970 grams (2.1 pounds).

The reason they take up so much carbon is because the patterns that need to be cut out of the prepreg are quite large and are not able to be tessellated in an efficient manner because it requires many layers of the pattern at 0* and offset at 45* to give even strength in every direction.
Thanks for the background on your product. I think this is the brace I will get
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2022, 02:27 PM   #26
knerr57
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent View Post
Thanks for the background on your product. I think this is the brace I will get
Gladly man! I’m pretty open about our processes because we have nothing to hide. I just want to make the best parts I can do that I can keep doing what I love!
Appreciate 3
      03-02-2022, 01:54 AM   #27
knerr57
Rep

Hey, just wanted to let all who are interested know that we at Swan Carbon have organized a group buy with G80_Soom this will not last long and will be the best deal I'll ever offer on our braces.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 07:49 AM   #28
Drift Master
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I wonder how many open the hood and stare at this at night. Not sure the value of dropping this much $$ for under the hood look so my dealer mechanic enjoy the view.

There are so many more actual performances or exterior aesthetic upgrades that I can see that I would drop $$$ on first
Appreciate 2
JFIV401.50
      03-02-2022, 08:40 AM   #29
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Master View Post
I wonder how many open the hood and stare at this at night. Not sure the value of dropping this much $$ for under the hood look so my dealer mechanic enjoy the view.

There are so many more actual performances or exterior aesthetic upgrades that I can see that I would drop $$$ on first
I'm with you. Shaving a few pounds on a cooler-looking brace is neat for $250. Not $1250.
      03-02-2022, 10:30 AM   #30
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:

I pop the hood after every time I wash it to dry off and clean up the engine bay. Brings a smile to my face the see the spruced up engine bay each time.

To each their own. 🤷🏻
Attached Images

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 8
      03-02-2022, 10:44 AM   #31
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
I pop the hood after every time I wash it to dry off and clean up the engine bay. Brings a smile to my face the see the spruced up engine bay each time.

To each their own. 🤷🏻
With all that engine bling, I would as well. Enjoy.
      03-02-2022, 07:00 PM   #32
canigetaxm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Yeah, that's insane. If I were just getting aluminum, these seem like a much better deal: https://vargasturbo.com/product/vtt-...-strut-braces/

From what I can tell, though, the factory (steel) brace weighs about 7 pounds, and the CF one is about half that. Aluminum is likely somewhere in between. Any weight saved here is pretty minimal... it's more about the aesthetics.
this one with a carbon fiber wrap would be sick
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2022, 02:13 AM   #33
knerr57
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
I'm with you. Shaving a few pounds on a cooler-looking brace is neat for $250. Not $1250.
I wish I could do these for $250. The raw carbon alone is a fair bit more than that. Let alone the days that go into each set of braces- 2 days in lamination, a day of trimming, straightening edges, three separate clear coat applications to ensure absolute flatness, packaging, shipping.. it all adds up.

I get that for many people the value isn't there, that was expected and that opinion is perfectly valid. But for the people who really care about the way their engine bay looks and want the best looking carbon brace you can buy, I think my braces are the answer.
Appreciate 1
JFIV401.50
      03-03-2022, 06:49 AM   #34
Drift Master
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:

To each their own. 🤷🏻
With that bay I see your point. My point is there is a huge list of exterior and interior visible upgrades people can start with and additional performance ones. I would start there before adding to the engine bay. I totally see the point if it was a car with a visible engine bay like the C8 coupe that would bring more value to the equation. Did I say you have a sick engine bay, enjoy it as long as it brings you joy it's money well spent at the end
Appreciate 2
chicagofan0019146.00
knerr5739.00
      03-03-2022, 07:34 AM   #35
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
Looks like no one pointed out this one yet, just the aluminum counterpart:

https://www.urotuning.com/products/v...UaAvhuEALw_wcB
knerr5739.00
      03-03-2022, 08:20 AM   #36
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I wish I could do these for $250. The raw carbon alone is a fair bit more than that. Let alone the days that go into each set of braces- 2 days in lamination, a day of trimming, straightening edges, three separate clear coat applications to ensure absolute flatness, packaging, shipping.. it all adds up.

I get that for many people the value isn't there, that was expected and that opinion is perfectly valid. But for the people who really care about the way their engine bay looks and want the best looking carbon brace you can buy, I think my braces are the answer.
Sure, I appreciate that a quality product requires some R&D investment, and I didn't mean to suggest you're overcharging; just that I don't see the value proposition for something like this. But apparently one in six GT 500 customers pays $10k for racing stripes, so what do I know?
      11-14-2022, 07:30 PM   #37
M3GABIT
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp @m3gabit.g80

Quote:
It is really cool to see my products being shared organically like this.. I am not a vendor here yet, so I don't want to over step, but thanks for the kind words! I put a lot of love into these braces!

Edit: some issues with my website were pointed out to me, and I have improved them as well as I can. I am a lot better at making things in SolidWorks and the real world than I am at making websites haha.
I'm a web developer for big tech, I'd be more than happy to whip something up for you in my free time! It doesn't seem see be loading right now due to some type errors.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 12:29 AM   #38
MMnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

The 2 piece brace suite very well with M3/M4. I understand everyone is different but seem a lot of guys are following and getting the CLS brace for their car. I'm not a fan of that brace at all, look too busy for me.

Sometimes less is more.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 05:10 AM   #39
GregM4
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: VERDE ERMES G82 M4 Xdrive

Turner Motorsports CF installed. Really nice quality.
Attached Images

SOLD - E93 Burgundy
Appreciate 4
chicagofan0019146.00
M4Tejas788.00
mathys202.50
      09-13-2023, 10:22 PM   #40
emthreepa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

It seems like the VTT option is the most economic while also offering appearance upgrade?
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      09-14-2023, 08:38 AM   #41
Diesel power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Q8 E-Tron 24 M3 CX

Quote:

Thanks for the insight on the design process. So just to clarify, you're specific goal was to match the stiffness (and meet or improve the strength) while minimizing weight. Is that correct?
This is interesting as without cutting a cross section of the composite strut bars there's really no way to assess stiffness so I had assumed that most of these strut bars were to increase stiffness.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 11:13 AM   #42
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:

To each their own. 🤷🏻
Agreed - I'm the same... (BTW, really like yours)
I try to keep them clean. Don't know if that makes me a freak, but it's nice i'm not the only one

Here's mine

2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 2
      09-15-2023, 04:18 AM   #43
docjavier
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 F10 535i

Quote:

To each their own. 🤷🏻
I also open the hood to dry and clean everything. Smiling 😁 all the way.
Attached Images

09-22-2023, 12:15 PM   #44
Diesel power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Q8 E-Tron 24 M3 CX

Has anyone ever thought about just painting the factory steel ones? Might give a nice pop of color without spending over a thousand. As others have noted, the weight savings is minimal either way.
Appreciate 1
mathys202.50