BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-20-2021, 07:03 PM   #1
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Driver assistance professional package - any regrets?

Hi all,

I swear this is my last post bugging you for info to try and finalize my build before I go into 150.

Are there any regrets among people who got the driver assistance pro package? Or is it a pretty excellent package?

The main thing deterring me is I think the front looks slightly cleaner without the sensor, however it still looks mean with the sensor included. How noticeable is it when you take a look in person?

It's also not clear via a variety of sources I've researched whether there are in fact some
Elevated safety features from the professional pack which would make this a more desirable trade off.

Any input would be awesome and much appreciated
Appreciate 1
MMMMM2714.00
      09-20-2021, 07:05 PM   #2
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Does DAPro include ACC? If so the sensor array should be embedded in the grille panel, correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
sleepdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX DG/Blk

No regrets here. I think it’s a really nice feature and I use it a lot. One of my favorite options.
Appreciate 5
Limegrntaln13469.00
Patton2502939.50
M_Torx328.00
      09-20-2021, 11:51 PM   #4
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
I’ve DA Pro on my X5 and will have it on the M4 when it arrives. It certainly lends towards a comfortable drive over long distances. You can just sit there paying attention while the car does it’s thing. I don’t think I’ll use it much on the M4 unless stuck in stop and go traffic maybe.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2021, 01:08 AM   #5
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

There is definitely added safety features with the pro package. Whiteout the pro package the car doesn't have any radar sensors, only cameras (depending if you get the parking assist package with surround cameras or not) and cannot measure distance accurately. As a result it can neither steer or fully brake.

some of the stuff the pro package will bring :

automatic braking from freeway speed to a halt to prevent font collision,
active steering (not lane departure) to prevent side collision (merge, change lane etc.)
cross traffic and intersection evasive intervention

without the pro package you get camera-based (if you option all cameras) basic front collision warning i.e. a "beep" and at or below 25mph the car applies gentle braking to reduce impact when it detects collision with pedestrians.

overall the standard active driver assistant includes

Forward-Collision Warning with Pedestrian Detection.
Low-Speed Automatic Emergency Braking.
Lane-Departure Warning.
Blind-Spot Warning.
Rear Cross-Traffic Warning.

so the car warns but cannot take any steering or braking action, with the pro package you get another layer of protection which is the car actually taking evasive action to save you and the car.

this video explains a bit

no brainer IMO for $1700, it also makes me feel better with my family in the car or when someone other than myself is driving it.

hope this helps

Last edited by speedmaster20d; 09-21-2021 at 01:32 AM..
Appreciate 7
siegester344.50
jas1651448.00
M4Tejas788.00
dovaro129.50
bmwdrive464.00
      09-21-2021, 07:23 AM   #6
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Had I had my choice? I would have ordered a bare-bones M4 Comp. xDrive.
Unfortunately, I fell in love with the first one that came into the shop and paid $20K more in options, one being the $4.5K Mexico Blue color :/ and no carbon.

I personally don't like, and don't need all those extra bells and whistles that just adds more technological liability that will break in the future.

Now, I do know that BMW sells you the 'right' to go pass 155mph in one of their packages. I think this is completely wrong, and something I would probably paid either to BMW or JB4 if it does the same job.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 07:57 AM   #7
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
no regrets here, it's nice to have for traffic, especially if you live in a busy area.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 2
M4Tejas788.00
      09-21-2021, 08:52 AM   #8
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
I actually just "really" used it for the first time yesterday. I mainly got it because I really like using automatic cruise control in stop-and-go highway traffic since I take a lot of road trips. That feature alone I really like.

Yesterday I used the active version that actually steers for me too. It was weird. Strange the same way I first felt when using the automatic parking on my F82 for the first time. That feeling of getting nervous when it brakes at a different time than I would, etc. I also found it a bit annoying how often I had to make sure both hands were on the wheel; that felt counterintuitive when the system is also steering.

Overall though, I'm sure I'll get used to the full active driving assistant and I'm very glad I have the feature. I'll definitely use it during accordion traffic on long drives and is a great way to give my legs, now arms, and mind a break.
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      09-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #9
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
I actually just "really" used it for the first time yesterday. I mainly got it because I really like using automatic cruise control in stop-and-go highway traffic since I take a lot of road trips. That feature alone I really like.

Yesterday I used the active version that actually steers for me too. It was weird. Strange the same way I first felt when using the automatic parking on my F82 for the first time. That feeling of getting nervous when it brakes at a different time than I would, etc. I also found it a bit annoying how often I had to make sure both hands were on the wheel; that felt counterintuitive when the system is also steering.

Overall though, I'm sure I'll get used to the full active driving assistant and I'm very glad I have the feature. I'll definitely use it during accordion traffic on long drives and is a great way to give my legs, now arms, and mind a break.
You only need one arm on the wheel every now and again across a fixed time interval. Matt Watson from carwow revealed that touching your thigh/knee against the steering wheel is enough to “defeat” the system. BMW employees told this to him in confidence but he shared it anyway in one of his videos with a BMW employee in the back seat.

You can adjust how soon or late it brakes. I like that it can accelerate and brake like a normal human would, preventing others from squeezing into long gaps.

I would never spec a car without it now that I have it.
Appreciate 3
M4Tejas788.00
JustChris17487.50
      09-21-2021, 11:37 PM   #10
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
You only need one arm on the wheel every now and again across a fixed time interval. Matt Watson from carwow revealed that touching your thigh/knee against the steering wheel is enough to “defeat” the system. BMW employees told this to him in confidence but he shared it anyway in one of his videos with a BMW employee in the back seat.

You can adjust how soon or late it brakes. I like that it can accelerate and brake like a normal human would, preventing others from squeezing into long gaps.

I would never spec a car without it now that I have it.
I also use the knee trick when it prompts for hands. A finger touch works too.

I find that depending on the engine response / transmission response setting it becomes more/less aggressive in accelerating.

One interesting fact : when I called my insurance to add the car I told them it has ACC and full range automatic breaking. That knocked off some 10%-15% from the premium (progressive).
kjx3197.00
m.dreamin1610.00
M4Tejas788.00
      09-25-2021, 07:56 PM   #11
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks for the input! From a looks perspective, does the sensor stick out in person or does it blend into the grill pretty well? I can't really get a good feel from photos online
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 10:06 PM   #12
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarmin View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the input! From a looks perspective, does the sensor stick out in person or does it blend into the grill pretty well? I can't really get a good feel from photos online
It blends; I don't notice it unless I'm cleaning bugs from the massive grill.

Just like with anything, if you choose to focus on it, you will always focus on it. For a while I was preoccupied by the small yellow warning sticker inside of the Laserlights housing. I got over it. Even then, I wanted the overall function and aesthetic.

You're already getting a car that a bunch of people think looks ridiculous because of the grill design. Will you really choose to miss out on the utility of the package because of a piece of plastic? If anything, it tells everybody else there's a nifty radar function on your car. Just like an Aegis Cruiser.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 11:50 PM   #13
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Just like with anything, if you choose to focus on it, you will always focus on it. For a while I was preoccupied by the small yellow warning sticker inside of the Laserlights housing. I got over it. Even then, I wanted the overall function and aesthetic.

You're already getting a car that a bunch of people think looks ridiculous because of the grill design. Will you really choose to miss out on the utility of the package because of a piece of plastic? If anything, it tells everybody else there's a nifty radar function on your car. Just like an Aegis Cruiser.
exactly, maybe it's just me but I find the arguments about the appearance of the radar module just bizarre.... it's like saying I don't want a camera in my smartphone because the lens modules compromises the looks.....
      09-26-2021, 02:17 AM   #14
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster20d View Post
Quote:

exactly, maybe it's just me but I find the arguments about the appearance of the radar module just bizarre.... it's like saying I don't want a camera in my smartphone because the lens modules compromises the looks.....
I don't dislike the look of it, but when looking at the m440, it seems like there are better ways to integrate it which makes me wonder why they didn't do something similar with the M3. I take the m3 grill over the 440 everyday but I wonder if there's a way to make the sensors integration cleaner. Either way, I'm getting it since safety trumps all and this will be my daily
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 04:40 AM   #15
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Apparently with it, the car will steer, and brake under 30-40 MPH without any assistance, the whole length of your drive. Thats not the gimmick for me, I actually want the rear cross traffic alert. And I also look at cars that dont have it, as missing an option. I dont like to see blank spots where buttons should be.

Appreciate 2
M4Tejas788.00
      09-26-2021, 07:50 AM   #16
Ruyseart
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: M4 G82 xDrive

I would not worry about the aesthetics if you really value having the package.
I didn't choose it. I have it on my X5, and the system put me twice in risk of accident by braking in a compromised moment when driving spiritedly, for example, one day entering fast into a roundabout, the car understood I was going to crash into a car that aleady was driving the roundabout, obviosuly I was not, but the car brake so hard that the car after me ended a few inches from my boot.
Another time driving about 130 mph on the highway, left lane was another car passing at about 90 mph, he was just about to return to the right lane, and I was approaching from behind, my car understood I was gonna crash and violently brake at 130 mph scaring me and putting me in a risk of accident.
On the other hand if you always drive gently and slow this system might work for you, but IMO, it is not a feature for spirited driving, and it cannot be disabled completely.
      09-26-2021, 08:03 AM   #17
m5eattle
human
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpain View Post
I didn't choose it. I have it on my X5, and the system put me twice in risk of accident by braking in a compromised moment when driving spiritedly, for example, one day entering fast into a roundabout, the car understood I was going to crash into a car that aleady was driving the roundabout, obviosuly I was not, but the car brake so hard that the car after me ended a few inches from my boot.
Another time driving about 130 mph on the highway, left lane was another car passing at about 90 mph, he was just about to return to the right lane, and I was approaching from behind, my car understood I was gonna crash and violently brake at 130 mph scaring me and putting me in a risk of accident.
On the other hand if you always drive gently and slow this system might work for you, but IMO, it is not a feature for spirited driving, and it cannot be disabled completely.
It can be disabled completely by holding down the safety button for several seconds, no? Once the safety button shows no illumination, all automatic braking and warning systems are completely disabled. This is required for tracking. Is that not accurate?
Appreciate 2
JustChris17487.50
      09-26-2021, 08:25 AM   #18
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM3C '22 JKUR '13

while I don't have my M3 back. i have a similar package on my Q7. I actually have everything disabled except ACC which I do use, but it is nothing I would really miss. i chose not to option it. not because of the look in the grill, but I just think it is an option I don't care about.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 08:43 AM   #19
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
Quote:
Hi all,

I swear this is my last post bugging you for info to try and finalize my build before I go into 150.

Are there any regrets among people who got the driver assistance pro package? Or is it a pretty excellent package?

The main thing deterring me is I think the front looks slightly cleaner without the sensor, however it still looks mean with the sensor included. How noticeable is it when you take a look in person?

It's also not clear via a variety of sources I've researched whether there are in fact some
Elevated safety features from the professional pack which would make this a more desirable trade off.

Any input would be awesome and much appreciated
I absolutely love this package and the self-driving option with cruise control. 8 times outta 10, when I use cruise control, I only use the speed/distance control option as I like to steer myself…..but I can't tell you how many times in the short time I've had my 21' M3C that I just needed my hands for something like dropping something, helping my kids with something etc., and I just hit the "mode" button on my steering wheel and the car drives itself.

I really just can't recommend this option enough IMHO.
      09-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #20
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Apparently with it, the car will steer, and brake under 30-40 MPH without any assistance, the whole length of your drive. Thats not the gimmick for me, I actually want the rear cross traffic alert. And I also look at cars that dont have it, as missing an option. I dont like to see blank spots where buttons should be.
It actually does it over 40; a little warning notice pops up that says you're not supposed to use it above that speed but the system still works. I don't like leaving up above those speeds for long because I feel even less confident in it. But it does a great job.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13469.00
M4Tejas788.00
      09-27-2021, 12:30 AM   #21
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't dislike the look of it, but when looking at the m440, it seems like there are better ways to integrate it which makes me wonder why they didn't do something similar with the M3. I take the m3 grill over the 440 everyday but I wonder if there's a way to make the sensors integration cleaner. Either way, I'm getting it since safety trumps all and this will be my daily
I think in the M3 the horizontal grill slats are much ticker than the 440's mesh like pattern so they could not place it behind the slats. soon this equipment will become mandatory for safety reasons so better get used to it sooner rather than later.... I remember when the airbags first came out in the 90's many folks thought it made the steering wheels too big and ugly.

here you can even see it in the latest Ferrari...pretty obvious there too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrar...Roma_Front.jpg
M4Tejas788.00
      09-27-2021, 12:38 AM   #22
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpain View Post
not true, it can be disabled 100% in the menu permanently if you wish. the automatic breaking is fully defeated as soon as you put the car in MDM or traction off. the halo button goes red in MDM/traction off to warn you the system is disabled....else the car would not work on the track and everyone would be all over it by now.
M4Tejas788.00