BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-29-2023, 04:53 AM   #45
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 m3c

[QUOTE=jpdchicago;30347715]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1723808

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1119384

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml

https://www.m5board.com/threads/carb...-issue.611728/

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/w...brakes.969068/

That's just a quick 10 second google search.

CCB's are noisy. And they are only effective under constant heavy braking, IE: On a track.

Steel brakes on the street is more than enough.

And GM CCB's have put corvettes near the 7 minute mark at the ring. M3's are no where near that time.

Had CCBs on the GTS for 6 years and now on the CSL. Not especially noisy…
And to the OP, by all means, go for the gold if it is what you want. It is your car…and it makes a great color combo.
The stock pads with which G series are delivered on CCBs are actually a decent compromise and virtually noise free, at the cost of being pretty soft and crappy at higher temperatures (they literally smear).
For track, you need track pads with high metal content and boy, those will be damn noisy for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 07:43 PM   #46
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerHellcat View Post
So I have always hated when people "upbadge" their vehicles. Sometimes it's down right hilarious. Would this be considered it?

The reason I asked is, ever since I saw the video Ragocars of the Dark frozen Grey M3, I loved the color and the gold calipers goes so well with it. I never even liked gold before till I saw it with that paint scheme. I don't need the carbon ceramic brakes because I won't ever track the car enough to warrant it and carbon ceramics are always on the noisy side. And let's face it, it's not cheap.

The current build is with red calipers. I was thinking to changing to Orange to match my interior. I'm not thrilled with red nor do I think orange will match well on the wheels with Frozen Dark Grey. Thoughts?
If I knew they were painted gold and were not CCB, would I think you a poseur?

Yes.

Should you care?
Not really.
It’s your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 07:44 PM   #47
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Agreed. Seems that people want CCB's just to show off
That’s why I bought em.

Couldn’t give a fuck about the performance one way or another. But they do look damn good.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 07:47 PM   #48
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
Lol you're telling me my brakes make noise but when I drive my car that has CCBs to go get groceries they make no noise 😂😂😂

Limegrntaln also has CCBs, do you notice any noise?
I have them and for the first 2k miles they were silent, but now the right side front sounds like a school bus, literally shakes the wheel it vibrates so bad.

I don’t care.
I like gold.

I gotta upload a pic of my brakes on another thread I started about just that issue. Thanks for reminding me.

Idk why that one wheel started being so loud, but it is literally school bus sound, to a T.

Loud as hell.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 07:55 PM   #49
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
15,400 miles, mine make no noise. I’m what you call a late braker though. I also make sure I get down there and clean the rotors and brakes. Probably the one thing people either forget to do, or just don’t do it.

Appreciate 2
DO4441410.50
Nkr151123.50
      07-31-2023, 10:28 PM   #50
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
15,400 miles, mine make no noise. I’m what you call a late braker though. I also make sure I get down there and clean the rotors and brakes. Probably the one thing people either forget to do, or just don’t do it.
Yea I have never cleaned my rotors or brakes on any car I’ve ever owned. I didn’t even know that was a thing tbh.

You take them apart and clean them or you hit them with a hose or something?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      07-31-2023, 10:37 PM   #51
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I’m using brushes and soap and getting behind the spokes and cleaning the face of the caliper area. Brushing the rotor as much as I can. Making sure the drilled rotor holes are cleaned out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      08-01-2023, 05:51 PM   #52
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’m using brushes and soap and getting behind the spokes and cleaning the face of the caliper area. Brushing the rotor as much as I can. Making sure the drilled rotor holes are cleaned out.
You do realize this is a complete placebo effect...
No matter what you do, you aren't touching the rear face of the rotor thats covered by the dust shield.

I am going to guess you haven't heavily heatcycled your brake pads (repeated hard track use) and haven't had a lot of material transfer to the rotors. That way you're less likely to have them make any sounds.
If your rotor face is mirror-clean, it stays virtually squeak-free on soft stock pads.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      08-01-2023, 08:54 PM   #53
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
You do realize this is a complete placebo effect...
No matter what you do, you aren't touching the rear face of the rotor thats covered by the dust shield.

I am going to guess you haven't heavily heatcycled your brake pads (repeated hard track use) and haven't had a lot of material transfer to the rotors. That way you're less likely to have them make any sounds.
If your rotor face is mirror-clean, it stays virtually squeak-free on soft stock pads.
Probably why mine don’t make any noise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
beamlord431.00
      08-02-2023, 03:54 AM   #54
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Probably why mine don’t make any noise.
Yep, nice and clean, compare to mine, similar mileage as yours but a third of them on track. Still, they don't squeal under normal circumstances on stock pads.
Also, just realized something strange, are US spec rotors different than EU? Your rotor min weight is 100 gramm ligher than mine. Interesting...

p.s. also, your wear indicators look brand new, I bet you can't even feel the difference when you rub them with a finger they feel exactly like the surrounding surface. Mine definitely feel like different texture. Not pitting, no cavities, but definitely not as smooth as the rears, for example.

Last edited by beamlord; 08-02-2023 at 04:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      08-02-2023, 09:53 AM   #55
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I would have never thought that the rotor weight would be different? Maybe EU is a TÜV thing? No idea. Interesting, though. And I’m sure yours are a little rougher with some track days behind them. My mileage is all highway, with a few light canyon runs. I’ve got them smelling a few times. And I’ve gotten the tires hot enough to sling strings of rubber onto the side doors.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 08:47 AM   #56
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would have never thought that the rotor weight would be different? Maybe EU is a TÜV thing? No idea. Interesting, though. And I’m sure yours are a little rougher with some track days behind them. My mileage is all highway, with a few light canyon runs. I’ve got them smelling a few times. And I’ve gotten the tires hot enough to sling strings of rubber onto the side doors.
Actually, with your use pattern, I am very curious to see how exactly your wear indicators look/feel - can you make some high q close up fotos of them, and also try and see how they feel to touch - and whether they feel different to the rear ones?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      08-04-2023, 03:18 PM   #57
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
Actually, with your use pattern, I am very curious to see how exactly your wear indicators look/feel - can you make some high q close up fotos of them, and also try and see how they feel to touch - and whether they feel different to the rear ones?
Ill have to take a look next time I get down in there. I only remove my wheels to remove the bumper, or something like that. For me, they are really touchy at lower speeds, even highway. But, over 100-120, the pedal is pretty long. It feels like theyre glazed. But, after the first hit, they are solid. I hear the Endless RF-650 brake fluid makes them a world of difference.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 03:48 PM   #58
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ill have to take a look next time I get down in there. I only remove my wheels to remove the bumper, or something like that. For me, they are really touchy at lower speeds, even highway. But, over 100-120, the pedal is pretty long. It feels like theyre glazed. But, after the first hit, they are solid. I hear the Endless RF-650 brake fluid makes them a world of difference.
No need to take the wheels off, I manage to stick my hand through and touch the wear indicators
And make some pics with a flash on.
Yes judging by your discs, they don't have enough pad material transfer. If you do a proper bedding in, it does make a big difference in the initial bite, both cold and hot. If you're interested I can share exact procedure that worked very well for me, tested several times.
Race brake fluid wouldn't affect that, it's just more heat resistant but wouldn't make much difference with your driving style.
Appreciate 1