BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

11-08-2022, 01:12 AM   #23
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientM View Post
If it wasn't for the M3/M4 you choose...anything you were cross shopping it with? And what led to your decision that I am getting this M car?
Basically, I need to carry 5 at times.
If it were not for that, I’d likely (almost certainly get a different vehicle).

Not that I don’t like the m3, I do very much and I’m happy to be getting one.
But, I also really like the Ford Shelby and I think it’s probably a more entertaining ride (and it looks better to me even if the interior is lower quality). There are some other vehicles as well, but in sedans I like the m3 the most. I just would not be even shopping sedan if it was not the need for seating 5.

No other car that I know of that is this interesting that can also seat 5.
I can’t get an M3CS either since it’ll probably have bucket seats in the back.
So, a fully loaded m3x is my best option. First world problems, I know.

Once all the kids are grown… it’s either going to be a Porsche or a Ferrari as far as I can tell, depending on how well investments do, and the market for each. I adore the f8 tributo, really would love to have that car, but there’s a lot of golfing, soccer games, road trips, school, and grocery shopping between now and then.

The m3 is the perfect vehicle for me for day to day stuff until the kids are grown and driving themselves. M3 and a suburban and I’m straight for the next 10yr. Quite possible this is the last ICE car I buy new and I’m extremely happy it is the s58.

I don’t like Mercedes’ styling and Audi just doesn’t seem like a good value to me. I do like the look of them, but they’re reliability is not great ime.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 02:15 AM   #24
jas165
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80

I initially wanted to get an F87 Competition, but once I sat inside it, I realized it was just too small to be my daily. I then looked into getting an F80 in really good condition, with little miles on it, but I couldn't find one.

So I "settled" for the base G80.

I may still get a used F87 Competition as my second car down the road.

I should add that I only drive manuals, so there aren't that many options for me out there.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 02:24 AM   #25
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumlurker View Post
Tacoma. Finally moved out of the city so I felt like it was time. Was gonna be a taco bro living that overland life. That lifestyle intrigued me. Ended up going with a G80 instead luls.
I'm keeping an eye on the 2024 announcements. First completely new redesign in like...20 years? Rumor of a turbo 6 pushing 400 hp and getting 28 mpg? Oooooo yeah.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2022, 03:26 AM   #26
m3_blanc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AlpineWhite6MT///M3

I was debating an M4/WRX STI back in 2020. Was in a Forester XT at the time. Decided to go STI and bought one sight unseen from Colorado and shipped it to NC in Jan of 2021. Didn't make sense to get an M4 then get an STI afterwards. Did a ton to it, really enjoyed it but, had the inch for something more.

I looked at the Supra with the Manual coming out, was too small and no back seats. Looked at the M4 F80 love the exterior but the interior was too dated. Same with the M2. I debated the RS5, but ended up ordering a 2023 M3 6MT back in July.

So, if anyone knows someone who's interested in a '19 WRX STI Limited let me know, currently for sale as of yesterday!
Trying to beat the new year another year older factor.

A few pics for those curious.
But not trying to hijack this thread. Those were my options before making the jump.

On a funny note, I'll be 33 next year, so having a '23M3 at 33 it a must. Already know what is in the works for 37...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-08-2022, 04:40 AM   #27
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 xcomp/911 cab/RR LWB

Garage List
B  [0.00]
Wanted something fast and stylish that could handle the family duties. Four cars considered: M3, M5, RS6, and E63s wagon. I like the styling and rawness of the M3 over the M5. I also wanted a new car and they stoped production of the AMG and I couldn't get an allocation for an RS6.

Ideally I'd go RS6>M3>M5>E63s wagon

That being said I'm loving the M3 and have zero regrets.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 07:10 AM   #28
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
For the last 10'ish years, it has always been the same cars that peek my interest. I was a die hard S2000 guy for many years, and moved into my first M3 in 2014 ('11 E90 AW/FR 6MT. Perfection).

-Base RCF
-RCF Track/Fuji Edition
-CTS-V
-C63 AMG

…..And early 2021 I end up right back in an M3 (G80).

But for real, I'd give anything to have that E90 back.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 07:25 AM   #29
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I need to carry passengers quite often, I only own one car (and have no desire to change that), manual was a must, and I'd prefer the MSRP to be no higher than 80k US. And the car must fit in my side of our garage without me having to figure out somewhere else to store my second set of wheels.

The CT4-V BW would have been a contender if it had been available in March of 21 or thereabouts. The CT5 is too big.

The Mach 1 Mustang was a possibility but the backseat doesn't quite do what I need it to, it's missing features I wanted (360 camera as an example), and I seriously dislike the interior of the current Mustangs.

The Camaro overall packaging doesn't work for me and multiple test drives couldn't convince me to live with the poor visibility. I was less impressed with the SS 1LE engine than some on this forum. The ZL1's fuel economy and ride were unacceptable.

The faster Dodge beasts are too big and I do not like how they drive.

The WRX and STI's overall performance were too much of a step backwards and they felt cheap.

The 718 or 911 were both too expensive once option (a base Cayman 6MT could be spec'd to a reasonable price without ADM but I couldn't really carry adult passengers in any 718 or 911).

End of the day, ONLY the CT4 BW and M3/M4 actually fit my requirements. That's a scary thought for what happens next, whenever that might be.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 07:44 AM   #30
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

After owning my M3 for 4 months, i sold it with a plan of getting a CT5 BW or Camaro ZL1 with 1LE. Not sure how things are going to pan out in the near future as getting an allocation for these vehicles is much harder than a G80.
Appreciate 1
PLF693762.50
      11-08-2022, 09:15 AM   #31
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
There really wouldn't have been anything else for me when I bought the M3. The M3 has been one of my dream cars since the E46 days and I was finally at a place where it made sense to actually get one. Otherwise I would have likely just held onto my X3 M40i for a bit longer, especially given the way the car market has gone as of late.

I suppose if I were actually in the market for a new and was cross shopping it against others…well, there still wouldn't have been much that would pique my interest. I'm not much of a fan of the Alfa, the Caddy is cool but not a big fan of the styling, and also not a fan of the Merc going towards the 4cyl and electrification. Only other 4 door car that would really get me interested would be a Porsche Panamera and in the spec I'd want, it's no where close to being within my reach.

I'm getting very close to being a year in on owning the M3 and this is probably the first car that I haven't been already thinking about what to get next at this point. Instead I'm still thinking about what mods are next. The M3 still checks all the boxes for me with regards to performance, fun, engagement, tech, and usability for a daily driver.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 4
bri10425748.00
2011ninja3319.50
adr_M3368.50
      11-08-2022, 09:24 AM   #32
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
When I was shopping for a car, the options were very varied, so it makes me even more glad I chose the M4 in the end. The options were: a 2021 C63s, 2020+ AMG GT, M8, C8, and a .2 Carrera S.

I've had history with Mercedes, and I was driving one at the time so I figured why not. When I was testing both the GT and the C63s, the V8 sound was great but it wasn't as great as my last c63s with the 6.2. Besides that, I started getting a little winded dealing with Mercedes and it felt like lateral movements with no excitement.

The M8 comp I tried out was great. I enjoyed the sound as it was a little different from the AMG's. Blisteringly quick in a straight line and had some competence around corners. It was definitely top of my list until I saw the M4 I own now in the show room.

C8, I couldn't justify the huge markup accompanied with the huge wait time for a stingray. Great piece of engineering from America, but rolling them out was a mess.

991.1 and .2 Carrera S... It pains me to give these cars negative feedback but I didn't end up buying them did I? I was leaning for a .1 because of the NA flat 6 so I tried out a 2012 and damn... it might have been fun then, but I got more enjoyment driving the M4 through and through. I also think a part of it is because the .1s and .2s were a huge part of my car enthusiast exposure growing up. I've driven them a lot, so I guess sitting back in the saddle didn't feel any different. This was also during peak covid, so pricing was insulting. The 2012 ran for $98k with 40k miles on it. As we all know, infotainment isn't exactly Porsche's MO. Even compared with cars of its time, it felt old. So compared to everything else I test drove at the time, it felt even older. I thought that if it's gonna feel like this, I might as well have gotten the 997. To be honest, I don't know why I didn't do exactly that.

Anyways, the M4 had the package I was looking for. Technology, driver engagement, wonderful fun, looks, and sound. I know that the looks are subjective and that the sound isn't as good as the v8s. But it sounded good enough for me, and I used to own the 6.2 lol

It was pretty tight between the M8 and the M4, but ultimately I had more fun driving the M4 than the M8.
Appreciate 2
      11-09-2022, 09:38 PM   #33
cleaningup
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M3, 68 GTO, 18 Wrangler

Came from a 20 CLC 63s. Only picked it up bc I need to fit car seats. Turns out the M3 has more room than the “coup” SUV. I wanted something I could actually track. I really really really miss the Mercedes V8 sound. It is the only thing that BMW cannot touch. Not even in their V8 cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 08:07 AM   #34
lastsun61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 xDrive

Garage List
Only "true" upgrade from M3/M4 is either a M5 or 911. Anything else has less performance for more $

If you don't want to upgrade, I would stick with M3/M4 and don't look elsewhere.

I see alot of 718 GTS GT4 mentioned here but these are just too slow to be compared to the M3/M4. Their interiors are very outdated too. The only thing that could compete with M3/M4 is the C8 Z06 but it's just not massively available to the public so I don't consider it a true competition
Appreciate 2
YamaLink425.00
2011ninja3319.50
      11-10-2022, 10:38 AM   #35
kyoung05
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Interesting that a lot of the replies here suggest that they went with the G8x because it was the "best compromise" of some combination of price, practicality, availability, engagement and performance (not necessarily in that order). But, if there didn't need to be compromises, most people probably would've ended up with something different.

Maybe not that surprising since that is kind of the M3's calling card - being good/great at most things, but a master of none.

I am currently #1 on my dealer's waiting list, and am seriously reconsidering whether I want to go through with the order.

One factor is that the 2023's have iDrive 8 and I really dislike how the extra large screen looks. I was intending to order the car in the base, RWD manual configuration to keep it more of a purist spec that would be one of the last of its kind (and hopefully age well), but iDrive 8 kind of goes against that.

Another factor is just the amount of time I've been waiting on this list - and it's kind of dulled the desire a bit.

Finally, it's reading threads like these that have me second guessing. I had intended this to be the last desirable (ICE) car I was going to have an opportunity to order fresh from the factory, configured exactly the way I wanted it. However, now I'm not so sure that I want my "last" ICE car to be one that is essentially the "best compromise" instead of something that I truly think is special.

It'd be very different IMO if the death of ICE cars weren't on the horizon, and I knew that if I didn't like the M3, I could always get something else instead. I guess FOMO cuts both ways.....
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2022, 01:47 PM   #36
PatientM
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne

Yeah I can see your point. Trust me I lost all interest in the z06 because of the screw up of GM and the bloated waiting list that could last years. Not to mention corvettes that are popping up everywhere. Don't tell the corvette guys... they get a little touchy about this subject.

I did come to a realization though... when both my daughters asked if they can go with me to do x,y,z now that they are getting older...the m3 was definitely on my radar and to be one of the last ICE with manual it definitely shot up the list.

There is always going to be "better" but that really comes down to subjectivity.
That guy in the WRX probably wants an M3 and that M3 guy probably wants a 911 and that 911 guy probably wants a Ferrari...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 03:14 PM   #37
kyoung05
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientM View Post
Yeah I can see your point. Trust me I lost all interest in the z06 because of the screw up of GM and the bloated waiting list that could last years. Not to mention corvettes that are popping up everywhere. Don't tell the corvette guys... they get a little touchy about this subject.

I did come to a realization though... when both my daughters asked if they can go with me to do x,y,z now that they are getting older...the m3 was definitely on my radar and to be one of the last ICE with manual it definitely shot up the list.

There is always going to be "better" but that really comes down to subjectivity.
That guy in the WRX probably wants an M3 and that M3 guy probably wants a 911 and that 911 guy probably wants a Ferrari...
Yea, totally fair points.

I have a 4yr old son who loves cars as much as I do, and whatever I get I want to make sure I can share that experience with him. So, that rules out anything that doesn't have at least 4 seats, and room for a car seat.

While waiting for my turn to come up on the M3 list, I actually got another manual transmission car - a Jeep Gladiator. So, between that and my STI, I already have 2 manual transmission cars and I don't know that I need a third. This is making me reconsider the RWD MT M3, and thinking about the xDrive M3 Comp instead - but once I go down that rat hole, I wonder to myself "if you're not going to get a MT, might as well get the M5 that has the V8 and is faster, more luxurious and more comfortable." Which, to be fair, would be an even better family car.....
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 02:02 PM   #38
DocOfTheDead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 6MT

Garage List
I am literally all over the board on what to get, varying from day to day. My husband, whenever I mention a vehicle, has gotten to the point of saying “Yes, I know. You like that car. You like all the cars. You want all the cars.” I have the luxury of being able to have numerous vehicles and after months of deliberation I decided on a manual M4. It has been sitting in Germany for two months now awaiting carrier assignment. The manual was the biggest factor in my decision, with other influencing factors being having my first German vehicle, and nabbing a 23 before the iDrive 8 update comes out. I loathe giant tablet dashes and much prefer actual buttons. So the garage will consist of the following:
2023 M4 6MT BSM on full Kayalami orange (eventually)
2018 LC500
2022 Kia EV6 AWD
2022 Tacoma off-road 6MT
2023 Hyundai Kona N
2002 Ford Ranger base model, 144k miles, plastic floors and crank windows

I get it all. Automatic, manual, dual clutch. I4, V6, V8, I6. Naturally aspirated, forced induction, electric. RWD, 4WD, FWD, AWD. Hot hatch, GT coupe, truck, damn near vintage analog feeling oldie, “SUV” (sort of, with the EV6), and the true sports coupe.

Now to win the lottery so I can build another garage and get a Bentley, a convertible, a true exotic like a Lamborghini, and a Can Am Ryker.

Last edited by DocOfTheDead; 11-11-2022 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 07:06 AM   #39
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung05 View Post
Finally, it's reading threads like these that have me second guessing. I had intended this to be the last desirable (ICE) car I was going to have an opportunity to order fresh from the factory, configured exactly the way I wanted it. However, now I'm not so sure that I want my "last" ICE car to be one that is essentially the "best compromise" instead of something that I truly think is special.
I think this depends entirely on which other cars you own or intend to own and how you plan to use your M3. I see that you have two other vehicles, so this will be a third. If you intend to keep both your manual transmission Gladiator and your STI, then perhaps you want to go another direction for your third vehicle. If I were in that position, I'd probably have looked to a GT4 instead, or just kept my C7 Corvette. It's a more purpose-built sports car that isn't trying to be anything else. I bet your young son has a blast with you riding in your STI, and it is roomy enough for him as well. As he gets old enough to sit up front, something like a GT4 will probably be more of a special occasion than riding in your M3.

There are several owners that buy the M3/M4 as just another vehicle for the collection, but I'd guess most of us bought ours specifically because we were looking to own something that would be good in a multitude of situations. I specifically wanted a car that was comfortable, practical and luxurious enough to daily drive but also had no problems turning things up to 10 when I wanted to have some fun. Again, if I was looking for a car just for the spirited drives and weekend warrior duties, I would have chosen something else.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 10:14 PM   #40
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung05 View Post
Interesting that a lot of the replies here suggest that they went with the G8x because it was the "best compromise" of some combination of price, practicality, availability, engagement and performance (not necessarily in that order). But, if there didn't need to be compromises, most people probably would've ended up with something different.

Maybe not that surprising since that is kind of the M3's calling card - being good/great at most things, but a master of none.

I am currently #1 on my dealer's waiting list, and am seriously reconsidering whether I want to go through with the order.

One factor is that the 2023's have iDrive 8 and I really dislike how the extra large screen looks. I was intending to order the car in the base, RWD manual configuration to keep it more of a purist spec that would be one of the last of its kind (and hopefully age well), but iDrive 8 kind of goes against that.

Another factor is just the amount of time I've been waiting on this list - and it's kind of dulled the desire a bit.

It'd be very different IMO if the death of ICE cars weren't on the horizon, and I knew that if I didn't like the M3, I could always get something else instead. I guess FOMO cuts both ways.....
911 is a 2nd car… will always be a 2nd car or 3rd
Appreciate 1
bri10425748.00
      12-01-2022, 10:41 AM   #41
Viegasjuuice
Rep
Drives: 2006 Evo IX / 2020 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetyphoon1 View Post
I was debating an M4/WRX STI back in 2020. Was in a Forester XT at the time. Decided to go STI and bought one sight unseen from Colorado and shipped it to NC in Jan of 2021. Didn't make sense to get an M4 then get an STI afterwards. Did a ton to it, really enjoyed it but, had the inch for something more.

I looked at the Supra with the Manual coming out, was too small and no back seats. Looked at the M4 F80 love the exterior but the interior was too dated. Same with the M2. I debated the RS5, but ended up ordering a 2023 M3 6MT back in July.

So, if anyone knows someone who's interested in a '19 WRX STI Limited let me know, currently for sale as of yesterday!
Trying to beat the new year another year older factor.

A few pics for those curious.
But not trying to hijack this thread. Those were my options before making the jump.

On a funny note, I'll be 33 next year, so having a '23M3 at 33 it a must. Already know what is in the works for 37...
Nice car! I have a fully built EVO IX that I could never get rid of lol. Nothing drives like that car, but I’m excited to add an M3 to the mix.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 02:34 PM   #42
m3_blanc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AlpineWhite6MT///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viegasjuuice View Post
Nice car! I have a fully built EVO IX that I could never get rid of lol. Nothing drives like that car, but I’m excited to add an M3 to the mix.
Thank you and nice, gotta love the Evo and STI platforms!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 05:43 AM   #43
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Was in the same position, was waiting forever for my M3X allocation and started shopping for other cars. Was on the fence with M2, currently #3 on list or another Carrera T (owned a 991.2 T). In the end, I found an amazing deal (under sticker) on a new CT4V Blackwing, and I traded in my Taycan (Caddy gave me even more than Porsche offered).

Zero regrets and the car is amazing and extremely rare. Only 675 manuals (1,500ish) total for 2022.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MCM41109.00
      01-03-2023, 08:29 PM   #44
SpeedyG
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3, 2018 Audi B9 RS5

Back in 2018 when I bought my RS5 the list was RS5, M3, C63S and CTS-V Caddy.
Since Caddy was discontinuing the CTS-V and the M3 interior was looking a bit old and dated back in 2018, I bought the RS5. However, all this time I always felt the M3 has the best suspension of all and still wanted one. I had a 2014 S4 that I spent thousands on trying to get the suspension dialed in and never could get it to BMW's level. So, I bit the bullet in August of 2022 and sold my S4 and got an M3. I love it. I still enjoy my RS5 but it is a different type of beast. It is a Grand Touring coupe and the M3 is a true Sports Sedan. That M3 suspension is awesome! I agree with some of the other posts as I have a CT5 Blackwing on order since July and cannot get a confirmation from GM on timeline yet?!? The CT5 Black wing is the same dimensions spec as my S4, just slightly longer, which is a must to fit in the garage. But the M3 is not the petite beast that it used to be either! Porsche 911 is just too expensive compared to these other cars and just not comparable in price range. All cars desire to be a 911 in handling but the transmission shifter on the automatics, seriously!? If I wanted knobs or dials I would have bought a Tesla, which I will never do! LOL
Appreciate 0