BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

03-28-2022, 04:53 PM   #1
geroz1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI2 Manual

Greedy dealership - BMW of Ramsey

Just to share a story with the community:

I recently tried to get a lease on a new g80. Dealership marked up MSRP by $15k essentially making a $90k car be $105k. SA was "nice" to agree to a lower mark-up of $7.5k which I wasn't too offended but still wtf.

Then, I wanted to trade my current car for a reasonable trade value and use the equity towards a new car, not dealing with hassle of selling it In the open market. They came back with a low ball valuation below kbb trade in and didn't even want to budge. And money factor was marked up. I mean the level greed these days is just abhorrent. Took me a while to get past the design language but with this I'm totally discouraged to get another bmw in the foreseeable future.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 06:07 PM   #2
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Why not sell to Carvana/Vroom/Carmax? Super-easy and will likely offer you more.

Agreed with @Mar48; not all dealerships are a-holes. Find a good one and patronize them.

Last edited by NightWriter; 03-28-2022 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
geroz1397.50
      03-28-2022, 06:44 PM   #3
Mar48
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp xDrive - Atlantis

Instead of getting discouraged, just ignore them, and move onto a different dealer

Past: F80 M3/Z4MR/E46 M3/Z4MC/Z3MR/335Xi
Appreciate 2
geroz1397.50
      03-28-2022, 06:54 PM   #4
geroz1
Captain
Rep

That may very well be the way to go. I was happy to help replenish inventory for a dealership and do a quick transaction, drop off and pick up, without needing to wait for a car to be built and shipped over.

Now I'm an unhappy customer and will never go back to that dealership or recommend anyone to go there.
Appreciate 1
Mar481099.50
      03-28-2022, 07:07 PM   #5
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroz1 View Post
That may very well be the way to go. I was happy to help replenish inventory for a dealership and do a quick transaction, drop off and pick up, without needing to wait for a car to be built and shipped over.

Now I'm an unhappy customer and will never go back to that dealership or recommend anyone to go there.
Yeah, unfortunately there are quite a few of those these days. I've talked to dealers who want 20k markups for cars on the lots and 5-15k for orders or worse yet telling you one price and then changing it when it is a week or 2 out from delivery... It's a crazy time and they know they have the ability to do this with limited supply even though they should realize it is a terrible way to do business and not sustainable as reputation matters in all fields. I work in real estate and I have seen similar shady practices in it as well. Time will not favor those who take this opportunity to make a quick buck… Good luck with finding a good dealership, they are out there so keep looking!
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2022, 07:21 PM   #6
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Stay away from them, Bmw morristown, BMW Roxbury, BMW Edison, and BMW newton. All of them are charging way over MSRP and are greedy
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 07:42 PM   #7
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

I find it amusing.

- Dealer on-the-lot car priced $5-15K over (new) = Greedy scumbags...avoid!

- Bimmerpost classified listing priced $15K over (used) = Sick car, GLWS bro!
s58544.00
Seedster2279.00
      03-28-2022, 07:54 PM   #8
MCM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 GMC AT4

I understand your frustration, but we live in a free market. The dealer has the right to do what they want, and you have the right to choose if you want to work with them or not. If BMW does not like it, they can perhaps pull the dealership or simply squeeze them out by sending them nothing.

The reality is for years, as long as I have been buying, a savvy buyer owned the deal. The tables have turned a bit these past 2 years for the reasons we all know. Good for them. But I believe most dealers would also prefer things how they were, selling many more units at lower margins.
Appreciate 3
geroz1397.50
Mar481099.50
      03-28-2022, 08:17 PM   #9
geroz1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
I find it amusing.

Dealerships should be bound by some general fair trade practices / moral obligations whereas the average Joe that cherished his one owner low mileage example can upcharge lol 😂

I don't mind overpaying for a clean owner example knowing it holds some value and I'm ocd.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 08:27 PM   #10
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I find it amusing.

Haha completely agree. It is crazy times lol! I've never bought a car for over MSRP and I didn't plan to start now, but some people are willing to do that and power to them if they really want it. I think more of what people are hating about the dealerships is they try to convince you that it's such a good deal and they simply can't give you anything better or they try to complicate the transaction or even worse promise a price upon order and then change it a week or 2 before delivery. Those are the things that I think Myself and others here are meaning when talking of dealers being a bit shady… When it's a member on the forum it's just here is the price take, leave, or negotiate lol. So I do see something of a difference, but mostly agree some of the hate on dealerships is unwarranted as they do not control supply or demand…
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 08:34 PM   #11
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM4 View Post
But I believe most dealers would also prefer things how they were, selling many more units at lower margins.
That's probably true at Honda dealerships with empty lots, but I wonder about this regarding higher-end dealerships that already had low volumes. I saw an M-B dealership recently that had several showroom models (GT Black Series, G-Wagen, Maybach) with insane $100k-$300k markups, and then run-of-the-mill S-Classes with $25k markups. So, sure, they're selling fewer C-class and small SUVs, but these markups make up for a lot of lost sales volume during normal times.
      03-28-2022, 08:40 PM   #12
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand your frustration, but we live in a free market. The dealer has the right to do what they want, and you have the right to choose if you want to work with them or not. If BMW does not like it, they can perhaps pull the dealership or simply squeeze them out by sending them nothing.

The reality is for years, as long as I have been buying, a savvy buyer owned the deal. The tables have turned a bit these past 2 years for the reasons we all know. Good for them. But I believe most dealers would also prefer things how they were, selling many more units at lower margins.
Mostly "free market" lol but agree and know what you mean. The fact that legislation says that we can't buy cars directly from the manufacturer is just one of many issues currently. But that problem has been around forever so didn't really impact the current situation too much but just figured I'd go off on a bit of a tangent as I was just reading through and somewhat bored lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 08:43 PM   #13
geroz1
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Sad but true. I overpaid for used cars that are worth much more now lol (I.e., p-car) but I don't plan to sell anytime soon.

I'm going to continue searching for those dealerships that treat their customers well with respect…
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 08:55 PM   #14
MCM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 GMC AT4

Quote:
Sad but true. I overpaid for used cars that are worth much more now lol (I.e., p-car) but I don't plan to sell anytime soon.

I'm going to continue searching for those dealerships that treat their customers well with respect…
It will flip back to our favor at some point. And then, all these delta bravo dealers should be avoided like a plague. Actually, not really, go do all your test drives there and then just go buy from one of the good guys
Appreciate 3
      03-28-2022, 09:03 PM   #15
geroz1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It will flip back to our favor at some point. And then, all these delta bravo dealers should be avoided like a plague. Actually, not really, go do all your test drives there and then just go buy from one of the good guys
: that's exactly right. Going to black list and test drive all their cars
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2022, 01:00 AM   #16
AdipopM
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 xDrive

Can someone articulate to me what value dealers actually add?

I mean, I know more about the car I am buying than 95% of sales associates/managers that I speak to.
Their entire existence is to remove transparency from pricing and extract as much value from you as possible for the dealer, not really caring what happens to the brand.
Appreciate 2
      03-29-2022, 07:14 AM   #17
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Garage List
2015 Yamaha FZ-09  [10.00]
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
The waitress at your local Applebee's provides more customer service and actual effort for her $20 tip than my CA has provided for the $8k the dealership will gross on my car. Extremely disappointing....

We need a "good dealer experience" thread if we don't already have one. So that when things get back to 'normal', we can all patronize those dealers that did not get wrapped up in the cash grab that has been the past year in the car market...Just a simple list with dealer and CA's names would be my suggestion.
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
Appreciate 2
pabusky242.00
      03-29-2022, 08:29 AM   #18
mjbernatz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 4.0

My dealer, BMW of Southpoint in Raleigh, NC, has been terrific. My CA and their General Sales Manager have both kept me apprised of my build (which included a very lengthy delay in QC), and were great to work with when ordering my car (which was at MSRP). Not all dealerships are bad, but there are clearly some sour grapes that spoil the reputation of the rest of the bunch. Best of luck in getting your new car, and share some pics with us once you have it!
Appreciate 1
geroz1397.50
      03-29-2022, 08:41 AM   #19
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
I find it amusing.

Both these scenarios are way better than people selling their build allocations which they dont own!
Appreciate 2
      03-29-2022, 10:48 AM   #20
JerseyG80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Both these scenarios are way better than people selling their build allocations which they dont own!
This allocation game dealers play is the problem. They are in cahoots with brokers. You can call 100 dealers today and none will have an allocation. Offer 10k and watch how fast an allocation opens up.

BMW should offer an allocation directly to the customer after a build is submitted on bmw.com and a deposit is made. The dealer should have no say in who gets to have a car and who doesn't.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2022, 10:49 AM   #21
geroz1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post
The waitress at your local Applebee's provides more customer service and actual effort for her $20 tip than my CA has provided for the $8k the dealership will gross on my car. Extremely disappointing....

We need a "good dealer experience" thread if we don't already have one. So that when things get back to 'normal', we can all patronize those dealers that did not get wrapped up in the cash grab that has been the past year in the car market...Just a simple list with dealer and CA's names would be my suggestion.
I think that would be awesome. A place where all the dealerships reviews are stored and recommendations. It will not be all inclusive and it will take time to build out and continuously get updated.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 10:50 AM   #22
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Which is exactly why I'll never purchase anything above MSRP if I can help it.

You're just enriching a third party when you pay more than MSRP....
3/19/22: Deposit placed on MY2023 Skyscraper Grey M3 Comp xDrive / 6/08/22: Dealer order placed - Status 047 / 6/25/22: Added Full Leather / 8/05/22: Received Allocation & Added Personal eSIM 5G / 09/18/22: Asked Dealership to Add M Drive Professional to My Build and They Canceled My Order
Appreciate 1
SpeedyATL1878.50