BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-13-2022, 02:10 PM   #23
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM_G808 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt2440 View Post
The XPEL PPF, ceramic coating condom crowd on this forum remind me of the essential oils and elderberry crowd on social media.
LMFAO triggered by people who choose to put film on their cars. Get out and enjoy life man, more important stuff to worry about than what others do to their cars.

You took the effort to post two very lame jokes on separate posts about people who PPF their cars. Sounds like you need to find some friends? Probably not though with your know it all pretentious attitude.
Ha ha ha. Both my cars are completely wrapped. To me, it's one of the best things you can do to your vehicles. Costly, but so worth it. To each their own
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 02:18 PM   #24
maverick618
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 6MT

What's the cost of repairing rock chips? I have to imagine it would take a lot of rock chips to add up to the cost of full ppf.

As I've read more about it and what my options are locally, I kind of feel ceramic alone is a better value. Something that simplifies cleaning the car has a more tangible benefit in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 04:33 PM   #25
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
I will be PPFing the front of my g80 when it arrives, and then having the entire thing ceramic coated. My question (since I've never done this to another car either) is….if I only have the front PPF'd (front clip, hood, front quarter panels)…..will the finish or sheen look any different from the rest of the car down the road? Like, if I only have the front PPF'd….will it look noticeably different from the rest of the car in, say 5 years?
What color is your car? I think that's the big question.

If your car is white, just know that no wrap will guarantee the color stays true, and if you have regular paint, the PPF film will literally eat all the brake dust in the front fenders. While you can prevent some of that with ceramic coating, it will always be a risk that your fender at some point will look darker than the door on white cars.

I had this on my F80 M3, and I felt like every other week I was using a PPF cleaner which needed a lot of elbow grease to make it back to new. Again, this is only a white car issue.
The car is Brooklyn Grey. After your comment regarding the brake dust sticking to the PPF, I might just save myself some $$ and do the front clip and hood only (no front fenders/quarter panels). I had no idea it behaved that way. I know you said Alpine White is the worst….but I guess BG can't be far behind.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 04:37 PM   #26
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
Quote:
I will be PPFing the front of my g80 when it arrives, and then having the entire thing ceramic coated. My question (since I've never done this to another car either) is….if I only have the front PPF'd (front clip, hood, front quarter panels)…..will the finish or sheen look any different from the rest of the car down the road? Like, if I only have the front PPF'd….will it look noticeably different from the rest of the car in, say 5 years?
What color is your car? I think that's the big question.

If your car is white, just know that no wrap will guarantee the color stays true, and if you have regular paint, the PPF film will literally eat all the brake dust in the front fenders. While you can prevent some of that with ceramic coating, it will always be a risk that your fender at some point will look darker than the door on white cars.

I had this on my F80 M3, and I felt like every other week I was using a PPF cleaner which needed a lot of elbow grease to make it back to new. Again, this is only a white car issue.
The car is Brooklyn Grey. After your comment regarding the brake dust sticking to the PPF, I might just save myself some $$ and do the front clip and hood only (no front fenders/quarter panels). I had no idea it behaved that way. I know you said Alpine White is the worst….but I guess BG can't be far behind.
BG is a bit darker and more blue. I'm getting my whole car done with BG.

I also didn't have ceramic on my film so don't know if that made a difference.

I wish I had a picture to show you. Will see if I can find one.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 08:25 PM   #27
jwt2440
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 - 6MT Triple Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM_G808 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt2440 View Post
The XPEL PPF, ceramic coating condom crowd on this forum remind me of the essential oils and elderberry crowd on social media.
LMFAO triggered by people who choose to put film on their cars. Get out and enjoy life man, more important stuff to worry about than what others do to their cars.

You took the effort to post two very lame jokes on separate posts about people who PPF their cars. Sounds like you need to find some friends? Probably not though with your know it all pretentious attitude.
Awwww feelings hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 11:44 PM   #28
2022M4COMP
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
Be very careful everyone. I was just " docked" 261 points for sarcasm. Sometimes I truly wonder why we wore a uniform, I understand this is not a freedom of speech on a private concern but when we have become so delicate that we can no longer have fun ( anyone who thought I was being anything other than sarcastic needs a hug) I truly wonder where we go.

Moderator, if you find this offensive, ban me.
Yeah I got what was supposed to be a 10 point deduction for commenting thanks Byron on a post where everyone was complaining about the current state of things. Mod said it would be 10 points but took off 100…
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 06:30 AM   #29
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

First time i ever did PPF+Ceramic and I feel the investment is worth it considering how thin modern metallic paints are and the fact that I intend to track the car. Now I don't need to cover the front end in painters tape before going out on track. If you don't feel its value for you, don't do it. No need to be hating...
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019146.00
      02-14-2022, 08:25 AM   #30
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do enjoy driving my car 11000 miles in a year, and 8- 12 track days a year. It definitely saves on bugs and debris damaging the paint, and I believe up-keep - wax and washing, is easier. I have 10mm on the car and it is amazing. But people that will put 1000 miles a year, driven peacefully might not get the full benefit of PPF.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2022, 10:37 PM   #31
r32e90
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1by View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do enjoy driving my car 11000 miles in a year, and 8- 12 track days a year. It definitely saves on bugs and debris damaging the paint, and I believe up-keep - wax and washing, is easier. I have 10mm on the car and it is amazing. But people that will put 1000 miles a year, driven peacefully might not get the full benefit of PPF.
Just curious of the available warranties for PPF? If there is a stone that damages the PPF is there any kind of warranty that will cover this damage? Or is the owner responsible for removing the film and having a new film applied? I've heard that the film has some self healing properties but inevitably it will become damaged is any of this damage covered? Just curious because I can't imagine that the film cost that much and I would assume most of the cost is in the labor of installing it.
Appreciate 0