Stealth PPF 11 52.38%
New color PPF (violet / green-yellow most likely) 1 4.76%
Keep glossy PPF 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

01-27-2024, 08:26 PM   #1
jnhfmn
Rep
Drives: M3C BSM G80

M3CX - BSM - color options to make it better!

Hi guys, wanted to say hello to everybody here. I was always a BMW fan but for some strange reasons I since 2019 I was driving A3 8V in Daytona Gray (which I bought from leasing one year ago and was preparing it to sell).
2023 was good for me and wanted to buy myself some nice present for Christmas / My birthday (I just turned 33!) so in July I started looking to order M340i but as I took testdrive of M4 and my M340i config was already really expensive I decided to take it one step further and ordered M3C!.

My dealer called me to collect the vehicle on December 4th so I was pretty exited - I was planning to wrap the BSM car into stealth wrap and make a Frozen Black from it but after seeing it first time I was so excited I decided to go with a glossy PPF.

Few days later I collected the vehicle from detailer and started driving it. After some time I wasn't super happy with how it looks comparing to other M3 on the internet - mainly because stupid mistake I made and missed Carbon Fiber Exterior Package in configurator which was about 6k$ but included a lot of carbon fieber pieces for this price. I thought about buying aftermarket parts but I read a lot of bad reviews about fitment and I was also really into M Performance look so I negotiated with a few of BMW dealers and as a final result I'm able to collect almost full M Performance carbon package (front bumper air intakes, splitter, mirror caps, side gilles, side skirts, rear winglers). I also bought a few orignal items from facebook marketplace - rear diffuser and rear oem spoiler). As I'm waiting for my big order to install all of the items at once - I started looking into pictures how all of this parts fits on BSM G80 - and I found out that almost everything looks as plastic black parts.
Maybe only front bumber intakes and side skirts makes sense but on BSM only because of the shape, as carbon fibre structure almost dissapears. Overall the whole problem in this build is low contrast.

And TBH I'm not the biggest fan how G80 looks in black compared to other colors... Especially that I'm really into colors, I was browsing rare color combinations of 911 or some exotic cars on Instagram and share them with some friends on daily basis... But my bet is I was thinking about this car as something that will be my first and last petrol sport car - as in future we will all switch to EVs (which kind of sucks but it's different problem).

This was meant to be my ultime universal build of something very expensive so I was not extravagant as I should .
Now in terms of color I was even thinking about returning the car to the dealer and ordering a new one but its kind of complicated as car is leased and I don't think the dealer will help me because they was almost laughing when I said I want to order a new car because of color and two other options .
Also other then color the only part I'm missing (assuming I'm buying MPerf package) are carbon bucket seats which are cool but not something which will push me to pay a lot of money for a new car now.

After spending a lot of time (believe me, a lot of) looking at the photos of different builds on this forum or instagram I felt in love with:
- purple colors (techno purple, purple silk, twilight purple or blue velvet)
- few greens (IOMG, Signal, Java, British Racing Green) and blues (San Marino, Portimao M, Tanzinite)
- Pink or more likely Magenta - Ruby Star
- Some grays like Brooklyn Gray, Fashion Grey, Gringo Telesto etc

I also have yellow DLRs module which I plan to install with every setup (maybe will need to reconsider in Green ones but it should fit )

TLDR - I'm not happy with glossy BSM, so I'll be probably removing glossy PPF and selecting between one of the between solutions

And in terms of color I found out two ways to make this car sexy:

- original idea - make a frozen black -https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30678191&postcount=1054 - out of it as in my original idea. The car design will be more emphasized with all of the curvatures and widenings, also contrast between frozen black and carbon is huge so it will make the CF elements stands out.

- as I love some of the BMW individual colors my thinking is why not to true something new and custom like color PPFs? In Poland this is a really new technology so you can go with STEK or some smaller brands but the selection of the detailers that are using this materials is really small.

- STEK ones
- DYNOPurple - https://www.stek-usa.com/fashion-film/dynopurple/ - (some examples: , https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/dynopurple/)
- DYNOShift-green https://www.stek-usa.com/fashion-film/dynoshift-green/ really nice niche color, its reminds me Java Green somehow but its even richer with thos gold flakes
- DYNOGrey - https://www.stek-usa.com/fashion-film/dynogray/ - just Nardo grey - I like it and its safe selection

- XColor
- their color samples
-
-

At the beginning of conversation I requested samples of my favs and they send me them
-
View post on imgur.com

- SuperPurple
-
View post on imgur.com

- official presentation of the film

Last edited by jnhfmn; 01-27-2024 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 09:48 PM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

You know you want the Stealth.
      01-28-2024, 01:13 PM   #3
jnhfmn
Rep

I see most of the people are into frozen black... So you don't like what STEK offers? This color for example seems to me to be pretty exotic and should fit the G80 nicely

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 05:40 PM   #4
jnhfmn
Rep

Here is my current G80 btw

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 07:47 PM   #5
OC_M3CX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition XDrive

Just go with Stealth PPF and don’t look back

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28972036
      01-28-2024, 09:37 PM   #6
Chapter2099
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CompX

Here’s my two cents:

BSM will age extremely well, unlike a lot of individual colors I see and when the next generation M3 comes out, I think you’ll be thankful you went BSM and not some crazy rare “look at me” individual color that will date the car even worse. There’s a reason why black is so popular.

I think you made an excellent choice and if I were you, Stealth PPF would be no brainer. In my opinion, BSM is the best color to have Stealth’d and this is coming from someone with Stealth Alpine.

I think you got a heck of a nice looking G80 and I would embrace it. 👍
Appreciate 1
jnhfmn1.50
      01-28-2024, 10:05 PM   #7
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Love my stealth BSM.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2037184
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jnhfmn1.50
      01-29-2024, 02:41 AM   #8
RF100
Rep
Drives: bmw

Stealth PPF for sure.

Frozen black with stealth PPF pic.

Personally, the frozen blacks looks amazing to me. If I couldn't get frozen black, I would've gotten a color not BSM. The BSM is nice but does lack the contrast and showing off the lines of the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jnhfmn1.50
      01-29-2024, 04:45 PM   #9
jnhfmn
Rep

Thanks guys, you lifted my spirits.

I will schedule visit in detailer's studio to remove the current transparent wrap and change it for a frozen one. I think the carbon add-ons should at least be visible because of the contrast (glossy/matte finish). And I should be done for this car.

Chapter2099 you think this only applies to the current generation of M3s (G80s)? What's about Porsche, some of the older models wears fancy colors and still look good. But 911 is a timeless classic...

If I'll be earning enough I will expand my collection by adding RWD G87 in some fancy color which will act as my weekend toy
Appreciate 0