BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-11-2023, 10:26 PM   #89
MT6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 '19 CTR '14 Accord MT6

Hello Good post, I am also a Honda fan all with MTs, picked up my 2023 M3 Manual on April 14, 2023 after a 7 month wait from the initial deposit, It is IOMG and have put on 1K miles already.

I am surprised the M3 is now the size of E39 M5 so a different driving experience compared to E46 but I like it so far.

I did win the tire lottery which I did not care much about my CTR - Civic Type R has Michelin Cup 2s, and the Accord V6 my all time favorite is on Sport 4s. I learned the Michelin Sport 4s on the M3 is a special compound designed in collaboration with BMW..I am sure you all have seen this video about it. Enjoy

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 11:32 PM   #90
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzep23` View Post
Loved this entire thread! amazing review. I am currently stuck between getting the 2023 M2 or 2023 M3 both are 6MT. I just can't decide which one I like better. I have a 535d as my daily so I don't necessarily need the M3s space but it does have the interior and comfort that I want. but at the same time I already have my 5 series so do I need 2 large cars?? Do you see where im stuck ??? having driven both the m2 ( even though it was the previous model) and the g80 M3...do you have a preference over either?? I've always dreamed of an M3 so my heart is telling me go with that, but I heard the resale on the M2 will be higher (although I don't plan on selling for about 4 years if at all). But any insights on this would help me out, I think my mind is made with the M3 but just the M2 is in my mind.
i just went through this. had deposit down on the new m2 6mt and then i went with an m3 6mt instead. i always dreamed of an m3 as well but the m3 is significantly more expensive. 4 doors more whores. also the m2 has cheaper interior with cheaper leather, cast wheels, and other cost cutting

2011 E90 335i xDrive
1996 E36 318i
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 06:51 AM   #91
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Loved this entire thread! amazing review. I am currently stuck between getting the 2023 M2 or 2023 M3 both are 6MT. I just can't decide which one I like better. I have a 535d as my daily so I don't necessarily need the M3s space but it does have the interior and comfort that I want. but at the same time I already have my 5 series so do I need 2 large cars?? Do you see where im stuck ??? having driven both the m2 ( even though it was the previous model) and the g80 M3...do you have a preference over either?? I've always dreamed of an M3 so my heart is telling me go with that, but I heard the resale on the M2 will be higher (although I don't plan on selling for about 4 years if at all). But any insights on this would help me out, I think my mind is made with the M3 but just the M2 is in my mind.
Resale is a subject that I don't think anyone can be sure about one way or another. Used prices are still high from what all the shortages did, and it would be deeply difficult to guess when that will really return to what it was. Before all the shortages, I don't recall the M2 or M2C having a significantly better resale. Could be wrong, but not something that sticks in my head.

I honestly think that the choice between an M2 and M3 comes down to any features that you really want that you'd lose with the 2, like 360 degree cameras or the nicer leather, price, and which one you just like better. And passengers. Even if you have another large car, do you expect to put a reasonably-sized human or two in the pack regularly? Small things like that separate the two cars at this point.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 08:20 AM   #92
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:
If you watch only resale value: M3
At least here in europe they are a lot more wanted.

BUT:
If you have always dreamed about an M3 go for it. It was my dream car as well and I got one. And I even got a Manual altough I knew the resale value is crap here in Switzerland of a Manual tranny (Swiss people are lazy af).
Follow your heart in the end and give a sh** about resale, you buy the car for yourself. not for the owner after you.
I calculated a total loss of all the money spent on this car, because this car is for me. If I get a good amount when selling it good, if not, don't care.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 08:59 AM   #93
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Big problem for me about the M2 is with the options I want (buckets, confort access etc.) It's almost the same price as a base M3 (comfort access included) + buckets with less rear space and cost cutting measures. It's a great deal if you don't option it too much and keep the regular seats.

My dealer told me they have a waiting list for M3 allocations but have M4's sitting on the lot. It's almost always been like this historicaly too.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 08:06 PM   #94
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSee View Post
A bunch of 16 year olds in 15 year old 335i's (not that's theres anything wrong with that) throwing rocks at the thrown. Complete circlejerk nonsense.

Thanks for the indepth review.
Reddit is a slum.
But slums are fun.
You just have to go in there knowing where you are.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 03:59 AM   #95
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Apologies for any typo's. This was just me typing away in notepad.

Until the last couple of weeks, I haven't spent much time on the M3/M4 forums. As a quick introduction, I learned to drive on an E30, but not one owned by my family. My parent taught my older brother to drive on her '75 Volare 3-On-the-Tree and after 3 burned out clutches, she put me in the hands of a friend. I drove some nice cars, all Manuals, beyond our family means and then was left to my own devices to attend Driver's Ed and made do with mostly 3-speed automatic junkers for years. I had some fun with a few Japanese cars and headed down the Honda route as I worked my career. A '94 Civic, a '95 Integra GS-R, an '02 RSX-S, and then an '06 RSX-S. Every car I owned that I liked was small and a manual. I had no access to BMW for most of the 90's. I might have been able to stretch to a low-spec E36, but I never did. I stayed within my means. I drove my manager's E39 M5 twice in 2000, and it stayed in my head for years. It was a special car, and far out of my league at the time. But I thought that maybe someday I'd get one.

I loved those cars, but eventually tired of torque steer, FWD, the back-breaking suspension on the RSX and drove to the local BMW dealership on a whim. I drove away in a used E90 328i X-Drive that was a nightmare. My first Automatic since 1991. I was seeking a luxury car that was still fun. That first car was a nightmare, and was followed quickly by a pair of F30 leases. The ZF8 was the best auto I'd ever driven, and it bored me senseless. I gave it another go [...]
Great great post.

I just dropped a deposit for an IOMG G80. I have an October delivery so I have plenty of time to go back and forth on my final build. This has got me back to considering the 6MT. It’s is a terribly difficult decision to make. Over the last 8 years I’ve had a 6MT F82, a 6MT F87, a DCT F87, and my current DCT F80. I have loved them all. I have enough experience with BMW manuals to know they’re just fine by me. As I rapidly approach my military retirement I know I could end up settling down anywhere in the US and will most likely end up DDing this car in a 4 seasons climate which makes me really want the AWD. Additionally, I wrestle simultaneously with the idea that I will have “left power on the table” by opting for the manual whilst also knowing full well that I am currently incapable of properly/safely/legally exploiting the power of my current F80 on public roads. As someone that typically only tracks 1-2 times a year having that 6MT might up the fun level, if perhaps, at the expense of some 4 season practicality. It’s a tough and ultimately personal choice and one I’m still considering.
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0