BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

03-03-2022, 09:28 AM   #991
eenearingm3
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 MT

First time poster but felt compelled to add to information.

I have a '22 M3 with build date smack dab in the middle of the recall window. Took delivery at the performance center in SC at end of Sept. Week later recall went out. Went in for 1200 mile service at end of Dec and was told about recall. Hadn't yet found this awesome forum...

Set up appt for Jan 10. Discussed with dealership that I wasn't thrilled about them tearing apart my brand new engine (less than 3000 miles at that point). Was assured they had everything (including experience) to perform repairs. After 48 hrs, told to come pick up vehicle. They in fact didn't have everything need to perform repair so rather than be without my vehicle for an indefinite amount of time, they simply put things back as they were and I could have my car back. They'd call me when ready to perform work, but no additional info available.

Fast forward a month, called to check on status of parts and got the "backorder" line. Should I be concerned about driving the car? Keep driving I was told.

Called BMW corporate again today and filed a complaint because parts still not available. Was instructed to reach back out to the service manager. Did that and was told that bearing shells are no longer on backorder however no update on when they would reach my dealership. In our conversation I was informed (and this is why I'm posting) that BMW has knowledge as to each bearing shell according to VIN. In the notice that tells them which vehicles are included in the recall, they know exactly what shells are affected. So, even without my car having been inspected previously, they are already preparing to replace shells #1, #5, #6, and #7. I find that both disturbing and sleazy.

I was also informed that my car will be the first M engine that they will have to take apart because historically, BMW has not allowed nor wanted dealers to take apart M engines. They simply "want them back." I suppose for most issues this would make sense, but apparently they're not going to take this route for a problem as wide spread at this one seems to be. I understand from a business model how that would make sense, however as a consumer this situation is absolute shit!!!

So as of now, I have to wait until the four shells arrive. The service manager assured me that all shells would be inspected and that they're not going to just deal with the known problem. I mentioned the info I have learned on from this forum, (shout out to Andyho123 and KnightedBMW) about problems related to the repair and the speculation I got was perhaps the dealers simply performed repair on the known issue--based on that VIN-bearing shell document--and didn't do a complete inspection/evaluation.

I don't know how true todays information is, but I gotta believe that as a possibility otherwise this situation just continues to get worse and worse. Will keep posted as things progress. Hopefully this helps shed some light on the situation as I had not previously read about the dealers already knowing which shells are bad before they ever receive the car.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2022, 09:39 AM   #992
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenearingm3 View Post
First time poster but felt compelled to add to information.

I have a '22 M3 with build date smack dab in the middle of the recall window. Took delivery at the performance center in SC at end of Sept. Week later recall went out. Went in for 1200 mile service at end of Dec and was told about recall. Hadn't yet found this awesome forum...

Set up appt for Jan 10. Discussed with dealership that I wasn't thrilled about them tearing apart my brand new engine (less than 3000 miles at that point). Was assured they had everything (including experience) to perform repairs. After 48 hrs, told to come pick up vehicle. They in fact didn't have everything need to perform repair so rather than be without my vehicle for an indefinite amount of time, they simply put things back as they were and I could have my car back. They'd call me when ready to perform work, but no additional info available.

Fast forward a month, called to check on status of parts and got the "backorder" line. Should I be concerned about driving the car? Keep driving I was told.

Called BMW corporate again today and filed a complaint because parts still not available. Was instructed to reach back out to the service manager. Did that and was told that bearing shells are no longer on backorder however no update on when they would reach my dealership. In our conversation I was informed (and this is why I'm posting) that BMW has knowledge as to each bearing shell according to VIN. In the notice that tells them which vehicles are included in the recall, they know exactly what shells are affected. So, even without my car having been inspected previously, they are already preparing to replace shells #1, #5, #6, and #7. I find that both disturbing and sleazy.

I was also informed that my car will be the first M engine that they will have to take apart because historically, BMW has not allowed nor wanted dealers to take apart M engines. They simply "want them back." I suppose for most issues this would make sense, but apparently they're not going to take this route for a problem as wide spread at this one seems to be. I understand from a business model how that would make sense, however as a consumer this situation is absolute shit!!!

So as of now, I have to wait until the four shells arrive. The service manager assured me that all shells would be inspected and that they're not going to just deal with the known problem. I mentioned the info I have learned on from this forum, (shout out to Andyho123 and KnightedBMW) about problems related to the repair and the speculation I got was perhaps the dealers simply performed repair on the known issue--based on that VIN-bearing shell document--and didn't do a complete inspection/evaluation.

I don't know how true todays information is, but I gotta believe that as a possibility otherwise this situation just continues to get worse and worse. Will keep posted as things progress. Hopefully this helps shed some light on the situation as I had not previously read about the dealers already knowing which shells are bad before they ever receive the car.
Welcome to the club. I can assure you mine was removed, scoped, inspected, photo documented and had the info/photos sent up to BMW engineering. Your dealership doesn't make the call whether its to replace the bearings or swap the motor...BMW engineering does.

My dealer was informed, prior to me bringing my car in, that it was one bearing that needed to be replaced in my motor - bearing #2, but that they need to physically inspect the motor as they cannot simply go by what's been identified. If there are any issues/shavings, it will require a swap.

In regards to your engine being the first M engine that's taken apart...if you're talking about your dealer, maybe that's plausible (although doubtful unless they're talking only S58), but if they're talking BMWNA dealers in general...that's entirely false.

I don't want to toot my own horn (since its really nothing to be proud of anyways), but I'm likely way more knowledgeable on this recall than most people here, including many of the SAs and service managers at our respective dealerships.

Good luck. Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 10:45 AM   #993
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

To piggyback on the above….mines was dropped off yesterday inspected and info sent to bmw. Per my SA they do have the parts available. Called this morning no info as of ETA yet therefore waiting to hear back later to see if I’m leaving my car there until parts arrive or picking it up. SA knows exactly that I don’t want my car there so she is on top of it. They waiting on bmw response + parts or motor swap Will update as I go
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 10:54 AM   #994
eenearingm3
Rep

Definitely meant that my engine will be the first M s58 taken apart at this particular dealership. No doubt, KnightedBMW, the info you have posted helped me steer the conversation with the service manager. And accordingly, the service manager claims he already has direction from the BMW engineers (that's the document I was referring to) that at minimum those shells need to be replaced even before doing the visual inspection. I think the rest is up in the air after the inspection. Hopefully that makes sense if it didn't before. Like everyone else here, I just want my car to be in perfect working order and without all the bullshit and headaches that could possibly stem from this!

Last edited by eenearingm3; 03-03-2022 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 11:45 AM   #995
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Definitely meant that my engine will be the first M s58 taken apart at this particular dealership. No doubt, KnightedBMW, the info you have posted helped me steer the conversation with the service manager. And accordingly, the service manager claims he already has direction from the BMW engineers (that's the document I was referring to) that at minimum those shells need to be replaced even before doing the visual inspection. I think the rest is up in the air after the inspection. Hopefully that makes sense if it didn't before. Like everyone else here, I just want my car to be in perfect working order and without all the bullshit and headaches that could possibly stem from this!
Makes sense. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 11:49 AM   #996
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

For any person with car having this issue I sure hope leasing and can turn in...otherwise I'd be asking for eternal warranty extension!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 11:55 AM   #997
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks23 View Post
For any person with car having this issue I sure hope leasing and can turn in...otherwise I'd be asking for eternal warranty extension!
E9x had that issue most were not even covered by bmw. On that note, sure it’s annoying but not the end of the world.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 12:07 PM   #998
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
E9x had that issue most were not even covered by bmw. On that note, sure it’s annoying but not the end of the world.
My point being I generally pay cash for my cars...I would not want to own a car considered near lemon for resale purposes down the road...not end of world but would be a lot of cash lost...I would be pushing for a replacement of car or 100K+ warranty or a switch to lease terms.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 12:22 PM   #999
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well update.

Seems like they approved to replace all 6. Can’t Even take the car now bc if I do they will have to re-test etc bc of different miles idk. So apparently they are starting tomorrow….that’s my update
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 03:50 PM   #1000
andyho123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Yas Marina Blue M4

Update:

Engine was approved yesterday. They couldn't find any engine in us so they were able to sourced one from Germany. ETA 2 weeks for engine to come.

IMO, I think my 22 build has lack in qualities compare to 21 build. Beside from this engine replacement, my interior just start to rattle everywhere ( steering column, cup holder lid, air vents etc). I drove my buddy 21 and it doesn't rattle anywhere lol and he has way more mileage.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 07:35 AM   #1001
andyho123
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would be scared if you are the first one they ever do that to. At the first dealer I went to, they removed the entire engine for the first car. When it came to mine, they figured they just need to remove the subframe and oil pan
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 11:45 PM   #1002
eenearingm3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyho123 View Post
I would be scared if you are the first one they ever do that to. At the first dealer I went to, they removed the entire engine for the first car. When it came to mine, they figured they just need to remove the subframe and oil pan
Trust me, I’ll “direct” them as I’m able based on the information I’ve learned here
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 12:16 AM   #1003
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update:

Engine was approved yesterday. They couldn't find any engine in us so they were able to sourced one from Germany. ETA 2 weeks for engine to come.

IMO, I think my 22 build has lack in qualities compare to 21 build. Beside from this engine replacement, my interior just start to rattle everywhere ( steering column, cup holder lid, air vents etc). I drove my buddy 21 and it doesn't rattle anywhere lol and he has way more mileage.
Awesome.

Seems like for me they going the bearing shell route. Work should be starting on Monday. I had a nice chat with the service manager today after I went off on my SA 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 01:12 PM   #1004
realgoggy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M-Sport & 2021 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Check PM.
Anyone know if these modules even exist or if my X5 sitting in Bremerhaven will be there indefinitely?

This is as of March 5th 2022 for a car built Dec 22 2021 in Spartanburg
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 06:18 PM   #1005
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update:

So I must be the only one with the following scenario.
Service manager reach out today saying the following:

BMW has us take out the main bearings for inspection.
When we have removed them, we send multiple pictures to BMW TSARA so they can determine condition of the main bearings, caps , etc. Along with the techs findings,
BMW lets us know of the next step and whether they need to be replaced or not.
The main bearings are fine. No other repairs are needed. The only parts that are replaced will be the one time use bolts and nuts on the engine (standard kit when removing main bearings
from an engine)
BMW has instructed us to put the car back together.

There you have it folks another possible outcome…not sure if this it’s a good thing or bad Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 07:38 AM   #1006
andyho123
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Update:

So I must be the only one with the following scenario.
Service manager reach out today saying the following:

BMW has us take out the main bearings for inspection.
When we have removed them, we send multiple pictures to BMW TSARA so they can determine condition of the main bearings, caps , etc. Along with the techs findings,
BMW lets us know of the next step and whether they need to be replaced or not.
The main bearings are fine. No other repairs are needed. The only parts that are replaced will be the one time use bolts and nuts on the engine (standard kit when removing main bearings
from an engine)
BMW has instructed us to put the car back together.

There you have it folks another possible outcome…not sure if this it’s a good thing or bad Time will tell.
I hope they put it together correctly. In my case, seem like they didn't and caused engine replacement
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 07:58 AM   #1007
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hope they put it together correctly. In my case, seem like they didn't and caused engine replacement
Time will tell….I can’t sweat this anymore it was enough stress dropping it off so it is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 03:28 PM   #1008
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update:::::

So the above about no repair was needed was false. I guess someone must of had a miscommunication. Anyway, car got 6 replaced, picked up today drove fine with no extra noise or issues. I was given paperwork to keep it under 5.5k for the next 300 miles. The worksheet was super big was told the job has a cost of approximately 12k.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 01:21 PM   #1009
andyho123
First Lieutenant
Rep

update: sa originally told me 2 weeks eta for engine to come. They called me back and bmw in germany won't have it until beginning of april.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 02:02 PM   #1010
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
update: sa originally told me 2 weeks eta for engine to come. They called me back and bmw in germany won't have it until beginning of april.
😵😵😵 damn. So what they have you driving on?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 02:04 PM   #1011
andyho123
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
😵😵😵 damn. So what they have you driving on?
Haha they put me on a 330e which is pretty nice. But they are swapping Me to a 440 or 340 later this week
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 04:48 PM   #1012
eenearingm3
Rep

Dropped my car off last Monday. Told BS by my CA that it would be a 2 day job. So after a week I called and spoke with service manager to again relay my discontent with the whole scenario. They offered for me to see what was going on. They only had removed 3 of the shells at that point.

The pic shows one of the damaged shells. That broken piece of the shell was held in place and apparently didn't damage the bearing. Fortunately it hadn't broken off for free rein in engine either. So this is the nature of this issue. Seems the shells are delaminating (for lack of better explanation) and that delaminated metal is wreaking havoc in the engines. Other shells had cracks, lips and/or ridges on them but nothing fractured off.

I haven't seen a pic of this anywhere so here you go. We'll see how things go once the car is reassembled and driven for a while. Still not happy with BMW's handling of this whole situation but we're at their mercy in this regard.
Attached Images

Last edited by eenearingm3; 03-29-2022 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
Ilyam5899.00
Dawgz1021.00