BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

01-12-2024, 11:18 AM   #1
lightvol2
Lightvol2
Rep
Drives: Lexus RCF

XDrive vs Carbon Fiber Exterior

Hi everyone,

Which spec would you get on your G80/G82 and why?

Carbon Fiber Exterior Package
OR
XDrive

Both are priced similar. You can only choose 1.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 11:49 AM   #2
TacoProfit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3CX 2016 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightvol2 View Post
Hi everyone,

OR
XDrive

XDrive, but when you get up this high in price I really wouldnt skimp out on anything you want. I totally understand the budget aspect and if you absolutely cant make it work you cant make it work. Definitely consider how you will feel spending 90k+ on a car and if you will regret not getting an option that would of been 5% more on the total.
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2024, 12:12 PM   #3
lightvol2
Lightvol2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoProfit View Post
XDrive, but when you get up this high in price I really wouldnt skimp out on anything you want. I totally understand the budget aspect and if you absolutely cant make it work you cant make it work. Definitely consider how you will feel spending 90k+ on a car and if you will regret not getting an option that would of been 5% more on the total.
Thanks for the input!

Some years down the line when i decide to part ways, do you think the xdrive or CF would add to the resell value? If so which one would add more?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 12:20 PM   #4
meechy6ix0
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 MT

Quote:
Thanks for the input!

Some years down the line when i decide to part ways, do you think the xdrive or CF would add to the resell value? If so which one would add more?
xdrive for sure for more resale.

also, think about what you want from the cf package. if it makes more sense to just get those parts from ali express then don’t get the package. for me i don’t care for the spoiler since I’m going to get a bigger one anyways, i don’t like cf mirrors, i don’t care for the diffuser in cf, so the only thing i want is the front intakes that i can do myself now
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 12:20 PM   #5
specced
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, E36 M3

Quote:
Thanks for the input!

X drive for sure because you can’t retrofit it.
The carbon package is just parts you could purchase seperately
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2024, 12:30 PM   #6
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by specced View Post
X drive for sure because you can’t retrofit it.
The carbon package is just parts you could purchase seperately
Sure you can. Just buy the xdrive badge, it's much cheaper than getting it from factory.

All joking aside, go with xdrive that'll hold its value more. Carbon fiber parts can be now bought dirt cheap from eBay or Aliexpress.
Appreciate 4
      01-12-2024, 12:42 PM   #7
DravitM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Competition Series

Garage List
Quote:
Hi everyone,

OR
XDrive

That could be a tough choice, however, I had the same issue when I was putting my build together and I went with the CF vice X-Drive. I understand the pros and cons for both but I don’t intend to ever sell my G80 & what does X-drive get me? A little quicker? More components to go bad? Another badge on the back? Higher resell? None of those options held enough weight for me as my RWD will have 700+ HP soon enough but having OEM CF package installed initialing will go much further in my book. Last piece of my perspective, don’t go cheap on CF, you already have a $90+K car selling it short with knockoffs, cheap s*** doesn’t make sense at all, but hey 2 each his/her own.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2024, 01:46 PM   #8
road rage richie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV70 ordered M3 Xdriv

Quote:
Thanks for the input!

I am waiting on a allocation - I was talking to a work bud yesterday who says: "my college roommate is BMW sales guy". I wish he had told me in Nov when I put down a deposit. I am now on the list with the roommates dealership as well.

I asked him specifically about the Carbon Exterior and resale. He said if you really love it and have endless cash get it. But you will see about 10 cents on the dollar for resale. In a private sale is possible to recoup a little more but dont count on it. In my case in NYS and most likely trading the car in 2 or 3 years its not worth it. With the NYS sales tax credit for trade in I would have to sell for enough to cover the 8.63 percent and the time suck of the sale.

Interestingly he also said that at this point the cost of manufacture has to have come down and they (this dealer) think BMW is just whacking us for extra cash for this option despite CF being made in Germany with the associated labor cost.

I was really leaning toward it but as this wont be the "forever" car I am going to pass and may well get it on the next one.

Xdrive for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 01:56 PM   #9
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Hi everyone,

OR
XDrive

I choose both because why shouldn't you be able to choose both?

Get both. Don't think about resale. It's your car and should be specced how you want it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 02:01 PM   #10
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

For me X-drive was a no brainer living in New England where we get snow and bad weather. I got the X-Drive and CF package. I've had a few garage queen M cars that I've preserved well for their next owners so I'm driving this G80 year round.

If I lived in warm weather, I would get either a Competition or base M with a 6MT. If you're in So-Cal do you really need X-drive? The base M3/M4 is still crazy fast. You can also add all the CF pieces after the fact. It's fun to add new parts to the car after the fact to make the car constantly change.

Also, I wouldn't worry about resale value. All of these cars are produced in volume and will depreciate around the same so you will most likely take a bath on whatever you choose.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 02:14 PM   #11
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
xDrive no question. You have the ability to switch to RWD anytime you want, so for me it was a no brainer.

CF trim is great too. Shoot man, get both if you can. I don't have a super spec'd car, and I still went with xDrive, CF trim, exec, and laser lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 04:13 PM   #12
lightvol2
Lightvol2
Rep

Everyone thanks for the replies!

As far as location, I'm in sunny Southern California.
Would it even make sense to get the X-Drive? I don't plan on tracking the car, just your normal spirited driving here and there.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 04:14 PM   #13
lightvol2
Lightvol2
Rep

As far as the carbon parts, these answers make sense.

One issue is not that many dealers are selling G80/G82 with the carbon exterior package. I would most likely have to custom order if i really want that package.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 04:27 PM   #14
TinkerTailor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp xDrive

Quote:
As far as the carbon parts, these answers make sense.

One issue is not that many dealers are selling G80/G82 with the carbon exterior package. I would most likely have to custom order if i really want that package.
You will sometimes find it on cars that people ordered and decided not to take.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 04:29 PM   #15
TacoProfit
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the input!

+1 xDrive

You definitely don't need it in California. I feel like it's one of those things id kick myself for missing out on but at the end of the day it's just my opinion and that isnt worth much to anyone but me! I am not sure how patient you can be but if you are open to an M4 alot of dealers are offering nice discounts, allocation easy to get, and you can spec it the way you want. G80 discounts are a little harder to come by. I got 1.8% off MSRP on my current G80 order, what a bargain right? haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 04:37 PM   #16
lightvol2
Lightvol2
Rep

Quote:
+1 xDrive

You definitely don't need it in California. I feel like it's one of those things id kick myself for missing out on but at the end of the day it's just my opinion and that isnt worth much to anyone but me! I am not sure how patient you can be but if you are open to an M4 alot of dealers are offering nice discounts, allocation easy to get, and you can spec it the way you want. G80 discounts are a little harder to come by. I got 1.8% off MSRP on my current G80 order, what a bargain right? haha.
By all means I don't consider myself someone who knows the ins and outs of awd, rwd, fwd etc.

For the average person, can they even tell the difference between AWD and RWD?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 04:43 PM   #17
TacoProfit
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
By all means I don't consider myself someone who knows the ins and outs of awd, rwd, fwd etc.

If you don't have any clue like my wife probably not. Have you ever noticed the difference of driving a FWD vs RWD car? For me the biggest difference is going to be from a dead stop. It's night and day. Traction in general is much better in xDrive. RWD is awesome in its own right for these cars too. I wonder if you could test drive to compare in your area?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 04:47 PM   #18
lightvol2
Lightvol2
Rep

Quote:
If you don't have any clue like my wife probably not. Have you ever noticed the difference of driving a FWD vs RWD car? For me the biggest difference is going to be from a dead stop. It's night and day. Traction in general is much better in xDrive. RWD is awesome in its own right for these cars too. I wonder if you could test drive to compare in your area?
a 10-20 minute test drive wouldn't do it for me lol

I wish i could take each car for a week then compare.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 04:57 PM   #19
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:

As soon as you get past 75% throttle, absolutely.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 05:13 PM   #20
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

You can’t add xdrive to a car later. You can always add carbon fiber.
      01-12-2024, 05:15 PM   #21
lightvol2
Lightvol2
Rep

To those who have X-Drive, can you feel the AWD working on regular city streets/highways? Such as commuting to work, running errands, etc?

How fast do you have to be going to feel the actual difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 05:27 PM   #22
TacoProfit
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
a 10-20 minute test drive wouldn't do it for me lol

I wish i could take each car for a week then compare.
If you are comparing AWD and RWD I think you could get a really good idea. Or look to rent on Turo if it's something you would lose sleep over.
Appreciate 0