BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-23-2024, 01:54 PM   #45
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojg View Post
I know exactly what you are saying as I live in a residential area where it is illegal to drive Quads on the street. I have people in all seasons tearing up and down my street on them (including race quads with no exhausts) and the police do nothing because they own quads themselves and drive them on the street.

😜
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 02:09 PM   #46
Salex123
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2024 M3 comp  [0.00]
This is 30% all around in bright sun
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 02:42 PM   #47
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
Luke: "With the blast shield down, I can't see. How am I supposed to drive?"

Obi-wan: "Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them."

Pretty sure Obi-wan ran with pretty dark tint.
The dark side tint is seductive.
Appreciate 1
yeetyeet391.50
      01-23-2024, 04:07 PM   #48
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I bet you drive under the speed limit too 100% of the time, huh?

You cannot say that tinting affects other people. You have no idea what it's like for other people to be driving with tint, you can only infer your experience. Maybe you have trouble seeing out of tinted windows but literally everyone else here (and I mean literally) do not.

You're trying to force your opinions on others based on your experience. That is the exact opposite of how it works.

No one is on your side here.
Why is everyone here assuming I am against tinted windows even though I have repeatably said I am not. I will admit that I am against vehicles I have seen that have tints that look black and you cannot tell if there is even someone in the vehicle.

Let me emphasize... I never tried to force my ideas on other people. These were my exact words at that start of this discussion: *** "I encourage people considering tinting their front windows and windshield to think beyond the "COOL" factor and consider all the factors involved". *** I mentioned the laws that are in places (for safety reasons) as an example of things to consider. What happened to the conversation after is the result of the rude and false statements made by people in response.

If you think all people consider such things on their own and don't need to be told, just look at all of the pickup trucks that were jacked way up and driven on the street. How many people died because they exceeded the limits for bumper height and how many trucks flipped over because of the high center of gravity killing the occupants or other people they crashed into. "Bumper Height", "Center of Gravity" those things obviously weren't considered before jacking up their trucks. Now watch everyone will accuse me of hating all lift and lowering kits.

This whole thing got blown out of proportion because people read what they wanted to read and interpret it how they wanted (that I am against all tints) and act on their emotions. Needsdecaf was the first to start. Then after having to refute the false things he said things got deeper and deeper.

BTW: Read the posts. There were people that responded (in whole or in part) in support of what I was saying.

In the past I have made similar comments to other (more rational) people about modifications they were thinking about making to their vehicles and their reply was more often "you know I didn't even think about that". In fact I have made that same comment myself several times when other people told me of things I should consider and thanked them. I may be blunt at times and say things that some people don't like hearing but my objective is always to get people thinking.

I came on this forum to learn and in return try to help other people. I have been on a lot of other forums over the years and have never seen a forum like this where people take offense at the slightest thing. You Know... I am now coming to understand why a lot of people have such an unfavorable opinion of BMW owners.

This is my first BMW and I love the car but unfortunately I cannot say the same things for socializing with some other BWM owners.

Last edited by turbojg; 01-23-2024 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 04:30 PM   #49
Lupeskew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW M4 G83 IOMG

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  10.7 KB
Appreciate 2
bri10425941.50
yeetyeet391.50
      01-23-2024, 04:58 PM   #50
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
... because we all know the idiotic legal limit on tint is imposed by law enforcement and traffic safety enforcement laws, both for “safety reasons”.
Are you saying that there is something wrong with safety? Surely I read it wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 05:09 PM   #51
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Are you saying that there is something wrong with safety? Surely I read it wrong.
You surely did. He's implying it doesn't do anything for safety, which I agree with.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 05:22 PM   #52
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I bet you drive under the speed limit too 100% of the time, huh?
Absolutely Not! However I do consider all the factors involved such as is the road wet or icy, how much traffic is on the road, what kind of vehicle I am driving, has the road got a lot of curves or straight, how is the visibility, are there any cops around and etc. I just don't do it only because I like to drive fast. In the same token I have been on roads where I didn't feel safe driving the posted speed limit.

That is all I said to people here. "consider all the factors first" such as can you see well under all driving conditions, do you feel you can get the car inspected like that, are willing to take the risk of being stopped by police for it, etc. If after doing that you feel safe with a darker tint (than allowed by law), - by all means go ahead and do it. Just don't crash into me if you were wrong.

Never did I make any claims of who could see what.

Last edited by turbojg; 01-23-2024 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 05:27 PM   #53
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You surely did. He's implying it doesn't do anything for safety, which I agree with.
I won't deny that maybe the line in the sand is commonly placed in the wrong spot. Being too conservative. But... Boy you must have eyes like an owl if you can see at night with some of the jet black tints I have seen. (and once again, those are the tints I have an issue with).

Last edited by turbojg; 01-23-2024 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 05:56 PM   #54
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The laws have everything to do with safety. I'm sure it wasn't done because they don't want your car to look "cool". However I won't deny that maybe the limits were placed incorrectly for some. But remember with all things... Unfortunately everything is set for the "lowest common denominator".
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 07:57 PM   #55
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Quote:
I encourage people considering tinting their front windows and windshield to think beyond the "COOL" factor and consider all the factors involved. There are laws in place for this very reason. Not only does it make it more difficult for police and other drivers to understand your actions but the tint has the same effect at night and dim light conditions and makes it more difficult to see outside. Just because everyone is doing it (or you feel nobody will notice) doesn't make it right. There are fools out there who don't want to be told what to do and just want to be "COOL" regardless of the consequences. The question is... are you going to be one of them????
Quote:
Why is everyone here assuming I am against tinted windows even though I have repeatably said I am not. I will admit that I am against vehicles I have seen that have tints that look black and you cannot tell if there is even someone in the vehicle.

Let me emphasize... I never tried to force my ideas on other people. These were my exact words at that start of this discussion: *** "I encourage people considering tinting their front windows and windshield to think beyond the "COOL" factor and consider all the factors involved". *** I mentioned the laws that are in places (for safety reasons) as an example of things to consider. What happened to the conversation after is the result of the rude and false statements made by people in response.

If you think all people consider such things on their own and don't need to be told, just look at all of the pickup trucks that were jacked way up and driven on the street. How many people died because they exceeded the limits for bumper height and how many trucks flipped over because of the high center of gravity killing the occupants or other people they crashed into. "Bumper Height", "Center of Gravity" those things obviously weren't considered before jacking up their trucks. Now watch everyone will accuse me of hating all lift and lowering kits.

This whole thing got blown out of proportion because people read what they wanted to read and interpret it how they wanted (that I am against all tints) and act on their emotions. Needsdecaf was the first to start. Then after having to refute the false things he said things got deeper and deeper.

BTW: Read the posts. There were people that responded (in whole or in part) in support of what I was saying.

In the past I have made similar comments to other (more rational) people about modifications they were thinking about making to their vehicles and their reply was more often "you know I didn't even think about that". In fact I have made that same comment myself several times when other people told me of things I should consider and thanked them. I may be blunt at times and say things that some people don't like hearing but my objective is always to get people thinking.

I came on this forum to learn and in return try to help other people. I have been on a lot of other forums over the years and have never seen a forum like this where people take offense at the slightest thing. You Know... I am now coming to understand why a lot of people have such an unfavorable opinion of BMW owners.

This is my first BMW and I love the car but unfortunately I cannot say the same things for socializing with some other BWM owners.
Look, your first post in this thread is condescending. Then you start your next post by saying someone else doesn’t know what they are talking about (which you’ve also stated to me in another thread).

Now you are saying you just want to socialize with other BMW owners but the issue is some with some other BMW owners…

Where we might agree is that I don’t recall a forum where some people seem to push their perspective onto others and cannot seem to recognize there are other perspectives which are also reasonable.
Appreciate 1
yeetyeet391.50
      01-23-2024, 10:13 PM   #56
taylorpetie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX, F10 550i X-Drive

Quote:
…That is all I said to people here. "consider all the factors first" such as can you see well under all driving conditions, do you feel you can get the car inspected like that, are willing to take the risk of being stopped by police for it, etc..
Your comments (like this one above) are giving the impression that you are smarter and better than folks on this forum who can’t think for themselves. We hear you but you’re sounding like a really bad broken record. Time to move on yes? You don’t like dark tints. Got it. Move on… stop trying to be the savior. Your every reply is making you sound like a clingy girlfriend 👍

Back on topic. I have 35% tint all around on all my cars. In CA probably not legal for front passenger/driver but who cares… haven’t had one traffic stop where I was ticketed for the tints (knock on wood).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:03 AM   #57
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

^^^ It’s just “tint” man… there is no s. There is no plural use of tint when describing this specific film product. Tints would be used if you’re talking about multiple tints of a color.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6606.00
      01-24-2024, 05:44 AM   #58
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^^^ It’s just “tint” man… there is no s. There is no plural use of tint when describing this specific film product. Tints would be used if you’re talking about multiple tints of a color.
WTF??? Clips from a search of "TINTS"

Tints - eBay Official Site - Tints on eBay...
Some tints and shades of blue...
How to choose the right *TINTS*...
What You Need to Know About Tints...
TINT - verb (tinted; tinting; tints) - 'Tints' Plural of tint.
Compare dyed, metalized, hybrid, carbon and ceramic window tints.

If you cannot defend your convictions - change the subject! Nice!

Last edited by turbojg; 01-24-2024 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 06:17 AM   #59
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
5% all around 20% windshield
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 06:39 AM   #60
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
Look, your first post in this thread is condescending. Then you start your next post by saying someone else doesn’t know what they are talking about (which you’ve also stated to me in another thread).

Now you are saying you just want to socialize with other BMW owners but the issue is some with some other BMW owners…

Where we might agree is that I don’t recall a forum where some people seem to push their perspective onto others and cannot seem to recognize there are other perspectives which are also reasonable.
Actually, if anything you're post is the one that is "condescending" as it is criticizing me personally. In my first post I didn't criticize anyone I just made a suggestion. After that people here started to be rude, criticizing me personally and for my ideas and making false statements. After that I just responded accordingly.

Last I checked a forum is: a public meeting place for open discussion, a medium of open discussion or expression of ideas.

Nowhere does it say that the ideas have to be in agreement. In fact forums often work best when there is a conflict of ideas as they can be discussed rationally and everyone will learn. It is only people lacking in conviction of their ideas that act emotionally, starts crying that they have been offended, try to change the subject and make it about "feelings being hurt" and run away from the discussion. That is what happened here. Get offended if you want but this discussion has brought out the true character of some of the people here. I never cried that I was offended but just debated ideas that I felt were false.

I won't let false statements go unchallenged because other people will then accept them as being true. The best thing that can happen to me is when someone challenges my ideas in a rational discussion as it gives me an opportunity to learn and correct my knowledge base or to reaffirm my conviction.

If I make a statement such as when I tell someone "to be wary of phone calls and emails as there are a lot of scams these days" I am not saying that that person is stupid I am just saying 'if you haven't considered it you should'. A person of strong character will say, "thanks but I am already aware of that" "or thanks, I didn't realize that" and go on with their life. A person of weak character will say "what do you think I am stupid". So judge for yourself the character of some people on here.

I'm sorry but if I feel you are wrong I'm going to tell you so. If you don't like it and take offense ... Take your ball and go home.

...and - If you feel I am too 'direct' it's because I don't want to be misunderstood.

Last edited by turbojg; 01-24-2024 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 07:17 AM   #61
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I really do dislike when people say "check out my tints". I mean, technically I guess it's not wrong since you're installing multiple pieces of film? Just sounds...odd to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 07:33 AM   #62
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I really do dislike when people say "check out my tints". I mean, technically I guess it's not wrong since you're installing multiple pieces of film? Just sounds...odd to me.
No, it’s wrong. Just like if you ran a tint shop, you’d say or advertise that you “Have different tint film options.” It’s kinda like deer. You don’t say deers. It was never correct to use deers in proper English.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 09:19 AM   #63
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Quote:
Actually, if anything you're post is the one that is "condescending" as it is criticizing me personally. In my first post I didn't criticize anyone I just made a suggestion. After that people here started to be rude, criticizing me personally and for my ideas and making false statements. After that I just responded accordingly.

Last I checked a forum is: a public meeting place for open discussion, a medium of open discussion or expression of ideas.

Nowhere does it say that the ideas have to be in agreement. In fact forums often work best when there is a conflict of ideas as they can be discussed rationally and everyone will learn. It is only people lacking in conviction of their ideas that act emotionally, starts crying that they have been offended, try to change the subject and make it about "feelings being hurt" and run away from the discussion. That is what happened here. Get offended if you want but this discussion has brought out the true character of some of the people here. I never cried that I was offended but just debated ideas that I felt were false.

I won't let false statements go unchallenged because other people will then accept them as being true. The best thing that can happen to me is when someone challenges my ideas in a rational discussion as it gives me an opportunity to learn and correct my knowledge base or to reaffirm my conviction.

If I make a statement such as when I tell someone "to be wary of phone calls and emails as there are a lot of scams these days" I am not saying that that person is stupid I am just saying 'if you haven't considered it you should'. A person of strong character will say, "thanks but I am already aware of that" "or thanks, I didn't realize that" and go on with their life. A person of weak character will say "what do you think I am stupid". So judge for yourself the character of some people on here.

I'm sorry but if I feel you are wrong I'm going to tell you so. If you don't like it and take offense ... Take your ball and go home.

...and - If you feel I am too 'direct' it's because I don't want to be misunderstood.
Ok, you win. And I stopped reading after your first paragraph…. Geez.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 10:02 AM   #64
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
The laws have everything to do with safety. I'm sure it wasn't done because they don't want your car to look "cool". However I won't deny that maybe the limits were placed incorrectly for some. But remember with all things... Unfortunately everything is set for the "lowest common denominator".
Letting the cops have easier access to illegitimately get the ability search your car is not "safety"

That's all it does. It does not increase safety for anyone including yourself or anyone else.
Appreciate 1
Turbodu07185.00
      01-24-2024, 10:28 AM   #65
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Ran 30% all around (except windshield) on my E90 for 12 years, went with 30% again on the G80. Literally the first thing I did, just a couple weeks after taking delivery. Limit in IL is 35%, so this is close enough to not draw attention. I passed on windshield again this time, but am thinking about going back for 50% or 70%.

I'm somewhat light-sensitive, so this makes a HUGE difference for me. On bright days I pair this with 9% sunglasses, on greyer/overcast days 20% gets the job done.

Also UV transmissivity was brought up earlier in the thread. My LLumar Pinnacle ceramic tint blocks >99% of UVA, and this is true even at the 50% VLT level. I expect most other high-quality tint products are similar.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 10:31 AM   #66
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
My LLumar Pinnacle ceramic tint blocks >99% of UVA, and this is true even at the 50% VLT level. I expect most other high-quality tint products are similar.
I just got a good quote on LLumar FormulaOne Stratos. Will probably go with that. 70%-35%-15%.
Appreciate 0