BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-22-2024, 11:36 AM   #23
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
No one with half a brain is blaming window tint for anything. If you can't see out of a 70% tinted window, which is virtually imperceptible vs a completely untinted window, then you don't deserve to be driving, I'm sorry.
Wasn’t referring to the 70% windshield when I said that at the end of my post. I was referring to the front side windows and I even said “check their sides”, which should have let you to infer “side windows”. Didn’t realize you checked your right and left sides through the windshield in your world. 🙄😆

And also, it was intended to be a tongue in cheek sarcastic post anyway, because we all know the idiotic legal limit on tint is imposed by law enforcement and traffic safety enforcement laws, both for “safety reasons”.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 11:56 AM   #24
spaceage
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X6MC, 22 M3, 01 Z3 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetheryx View Post
Hey all, my new G80 M3 competition is arriving this week. I plan to do a full front PPF with ceramic coating. I’m also going to tint the front and back windows with XPEL Prime XR Plus.

Does anyone have any example of what 35% back and 55% front looks like? Or around that? I’m still debating if I should do that or make it even all around and do 55% to all windows (except windshield). My car is in Isle of Man Green if that makes any difference.

Appreciate y’all!
Highly recommend doing the windshield also. First time I did it, I thought the shop was crazy to recommend. Now I have it on all my cars. You can go with 70 (or Suntek has 80 I believe?), nobody will notice, but you will...reduced glare at night and much cooler car any time the sun is out, plus it makes the car look better IMO. It is really a game changer. Laws were made to be broken, YOLO.
Appreciate 1
dini_g80188.00
      01-22-2024, 01:12 PM   #25
nalnass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 G82 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Dude, you've been on this soapbox before. It's not just the cool factor. I invite you to come to Texas and run untinted front windows. Have fun with the skin cancer, blinding glare and massive heat intrusion.

I grew up in the NE and mid atlantic and never tinted my windows for 20 plus years of driving. Move to TX....mandatory. And now I wouldn't do without them on a normal car. If I lived up North, I'd probably do 50% front, 35% rear. Maybe 50% all around. But untinted on my daily? Nope.

My 997 Turbo S ran no tint because I liked the look and it was horrible. Soooo hot. I kept saying I was going to do 70% and never did and then sold it. But if I had to do it again. Definitely would do 70% all around.

It's not unsafe. I can see fine at night, even with needing glasses. In fact it HELPS cut glare from headlights.
Texas isn’t special…. At all. Not sure what you’re trying to say with that. Mandatory LOL

It can be unsafe. Cutting glare from headlights is a poor argument because that shouldn’t be a problem in the first place.

God forbid you slip out because you missed a puddle at night because you were busy “looking cool”.

I actually thought you were smarter than this. Thanks for outing yourself.

Let me guess, you also take out the front reflectors because they don’t “look cool” and you enjoy being T-boned at night instead.

Real mature
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 02:39 PM   #26
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalnass View Post
Texas isn’t special…. At all. Not sure what you’re trying to say with that. Mandatory LOL

It can be unsafe. Cutting glare from headlights is a poor argument because that shouldn’t be a problem in the first place.

God forbid you slip out because you missed a puddle at night because you were busy “looking cool”.

I actually thought you were smarter than this. Thanks for outing yourself.

Let me guess, you also take out the front reflectors because they don’t “look cool” and you enjoy being T-boned at night instead.

Real mature
Uh, ok? Cutting glare from headlights...because it shouldn't be a problem. Uh, what? Of course it's a problem. That's why dimming mirrors exist. And again, please let me know the next time someone drives a modified truck behind you with an aftermarket LED light bar. Or forgets to turn their high beams off while driving behind you. Also, I don't understand why people are so hung up on "it's so much harder to see out at night". It isn't. Really, it isn't. Not with a moderate amount of tint. Not sure why this is so hard to believe but, whatever.

Absolutely nothing to do with "being cool". 100% the opposite. Read above where I said I literally suffered through extra heat in my 911 because it looked better....without tint.

Do me a favor. Come on down to Texas in July and spend a day driving around in your car with no tint. I'll buy you a beer and some brisket. You'll soon understand why tint is "mandatory". It's freaking hot here and the sun is intense. What part of colorado do you live in? Ever been up in the mountains? You know how intense the sun is say at the top of the continental divide by breckenridge? Ok, now imagine that sun when it's 105 and 75% humidity.

Finally, not sure what maturity has to do with anything? Texas tint law is as follows:

Windshield - no tint allowed
Front windows - Minmum VLT - 25%
Rear side windows - No limit
Rear window - no limit if equipped with outside mirrors

My car is tinted with 30%. Above the legal limit. How am I immature again?

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 01-22-2024 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
yeetyeet391.50
      01-22-2024, 02:42 PM   #27
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojg View Post
Why do you have to take so much offense and have to make a big deal about it?????
Why? Because your words are a lot stronger than you think.

As you say, "your words":

Quote:
Just because everyone is doing it (or you feel nobody will notice) doesn't make it right. There are fools out there who don't want to be told what to do and just want to be "COOL" regardless of the consequences. The question is... are you going to be one of them????
That's a pretty strong condemnation and assumption on your part that people are tinting their windows to be "cool" when in fact, they do it for many other reasons. I mean, you literally called people fools and stated they tinting windows reasons "just to be cool". Not sure how you would take that if you were on the other side of that message?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 03:12 PM   #28
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Wasn’t referring to the 70% windshield when I said that at the end of my post. I was referring to the front side windows and I even said “check their sides”, which should have let you to infer “side windows”. Didn’t realize you checked your right and left sides through the windshield in your world. 🙄😆

And also, it was intended to be a tongue in cheek sarcastic post anyway, because we all know the idiotic legal limit on tint is imposed by law enforcement and traffic safety enforcement laws, both for “safety reasons”.
"Jokes on you I was only pretending!" You wouldn't have made any comment if you didn't actually think that way.

I'll apply the same comment to 35% too if you want.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 03:58 PM   #29
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
"Jokes on you I was only pretending!" You wouldn't have made any comment if you didn't actually think that way.

I'll apply the same comment to 35% too if you want.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 04:16 PM   #30
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

Quote:
It's actually obvious you really hate tint and will go to any length to prove that you're right. And in fact your previous posts have proven it's a preference based on people thinking they are "cool" and that they are somehow endangering other people and pissing off cops by doing so. So please, stop hiding behind all the technical talk because you're flat out wrong. I have literally had tinted and untinted cars at the same time up until August of last year. And had ZERO issues seeing out of my cars with tinted windows.

Your point about removing sunglasses at night is null and void by the fact that rear view mirrors for decades have had an anti-dazzle switch for a dimming mode at night and, in fact, that our cars have STANDARD from the factory rear view mirrors (all three in fact, IIRC) that dim at night in reaction to headlights.

Ever driven with a modified pickup behind you that's lifted and sporting aftermarket headlights with poor beam control? Yeah, do that once and tell me that a tinted rear window at night is hurting me, not helping me.

You're 100% allowed to have your opionion that you think tint is some kind of immoral thing that kids are doing to feel "cool". Dude, I'm a 50 year old dad with kids and with a family history of skin cancer. I'm not doing squat to be "cool" . I'm doing it for comfort, and my own personal safety.

Finally your "evidence" that there is a tint law as somehow supporting your argument is a strawman. How many dumb laws are there? There is a law prohibiting the use of the highly advanced lighting our cars come with (optional laser lights) and yet once you've run with them, and see how much SAFER they are at night because of increased visibility all while NOT blinding oncoming traffic, you'll realize how stupid the law is and that it is prohibiting safety, not promoting it.
Needsdecaf - I know this going to be a waste of my time but here goes anyway as I cannot let your misinformation go unchallenged.

Your 1st paragraph... First of all, I have always made it clear that it is dark tints or any other tint that could influence safety in a negative way that I have a problem with. Secondly... Take a look through most of the posts here and count how many tines the words "COOL" and "LOOKS" are mentioned in connection with window tint. Third... Regarding my technical statements. I will substantiate any of the technical statements I have made, unlike the blanket unsubstantiated statement you made "stop hiding behind all the technical talk because you're flat out wrong" where you expect everyone to say "OH OK" and just believe you.

2nd Paragraph... Everyone knows dimmable rear view mirrors only dim when there are oncoming headlights that need to be dimmed. They have a limited viewing angle and are only concerned with the vehicles approaching. When the headlights are dimmed the rest of the background darkens also and cannot be seen. But in that case all you need to see is that vehicle's location which can still be seen by it's headlights. You're not going to run into anything behind you because it is dimmed in the background. And as long as the driver behind you can see you through his front windows all things are fine.

3rd Paragraph... As far as I"m concerned (and the laws in most states reflect) you can tint your rear window to your hearts desire. In fact a lot of vehicles don't have a rear window or are blocked when towing. That is fine as long as the outside rear view mirrors meet the states requirements for such vehicles.

4th paragraph... Yes, I have opinions as most everyone does and I have a right to express them. Once in a while they might be of benefit to the reader. All I did was make the suggestion that people consider all aspects of making a modification to their vehicle, and not just the one prompting them to make the modification. Safety is just one of them.

5th and final Paragraph... Dumb laws. Most laws are put in place to prevent bad things from happening. Unfortunately most times they only get implemented after something bad happened. Some over time become obsolete or need to be revised as technology advances. You say "There is a law prohibiting the use of the highly advanced lighting our cars come with (optional laser lights). That is not true! They are not prohibited from use but it is specified how they can be used. They must be turned off in certain situations because they can blind the oncoming driver or the driver in front of you. As technology advanced it became possible to dim portions of the high beams (anti-dazzle) where portions of the high beam can be turned off to prevent blinding while still providing additional illumination for the driver of the vehicle. Therefore the laws needed to be revised and they were in the US but still haven't been implemented. Also with the advent of high intensity low beams actions needed to occur to prevent blinding oncoming drivers. That technology was called "projector" headlamps where there is a very sharp cutoff at the top of the beam (below the oncoming windshield) to prevent blinding. *** You're being able to see better is not the only consideration when it comes to increasing headlight brightness. *** As I mentioned in my post all things need to be considered when making a change to a vehicle. ***

One more comment regarding high intensity headlights just to get everyone thinking. I have been noticing how blinding the headlights in general have become. You can easily see the difference when an older car with halogen headlights approaches. Apparently, from what I have been reading I am not the only one to feel this way. The techniques being used with high intensity headlights aren' working that well. Sharp cutoffs don't work with higher vehicles as the lights need to be angled downward to prevent blinding drivers of passenger cars and lower vehicles such as motorcycles which means the cut off only works at a certain distance. Even the light not directly hitting our eyes is blinding. I often wonder if a change to the color temperature of the light might be a simple answer.

I apologize if dragging this conversation out has annoyed anyone but as I mentioned at the start sometimes some things cannot go unchallenged or unsaid.

Last edited by turbojg; 01-22-2024 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 04:48 PM   #31
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why? Because your words are a lot stronger than you think.

As you say, "your words":

That's a pretty strong condemnation and assumption on your part that people are tinting their windows to be "cool" when in fact, they do it for many other reasons. I mean, you literally called people fools and stated they tinting windows reasons "just to be cool". Not sure how you would take that if you were on the other side of that message?
As for why people are doing it. That's not just my assumption. Just look through the posts here and count how many have the words "cool" of "looks" associated with tinting windows. Obviously, it's not the only reason, however.

Sorry, but anyone that modifies their vehicle without considering all the factors and consequences associated with it is a "fool". (Will you say that you don't agree with that?) I would hope that most people here (or anywhere else) would not fit into that category. After all, if tinting one's car windows is done sensibly it can be a "cool" mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 04:49 PM   #32
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

My god. You girls worried about tint causing accidents, how do you ever get into a car when people have their cell phones these days? I am way more concerned with assholes on their cell phones and anyone over 75 driving these days. Both those reasons will keep my from ever riding street bikes again. Someone hitting me because of tint has never even crossed my mind. Getting ran into by some dumb cunt that is taking selfies or on Instagram , absolutely
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 05:24 PM   #33
Rux
Captain
Rep
Drives: Little of this, little of that

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
Only on a BMW forum will people get pissy about what others do or don’t do to their cars.

I do 35% on all windows sans the windshield. I keep the M4 in New England. Still illegal but it skirts.

I go to Aruba 2-4 times a year. Want to know what 5% all around looks like? Take a trip and a taxi ride. Early 40s and I can’t see shit out of them. Younger eyes might do better.
      01-22-2024, 06:01 PM   #34
Turbodu07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6SP

Quote:
Needsdecaf - I know this going to be a waste of my time but here goes anyway as I cannot let your misinformation go unchallenged.

Your 1st paragraph... First of all, I have always made it clear that it is dark tints or any other tint that could influence safety in a negative way that I have a problem with. Secondly... Take a look through most of the posts here and count how many tines the words "COOL" and "LOOKS" are mentioned in connection with window tint. Third... Regarding my technical statements. I will substantiate any of the technical statements I have made, unlike the blanket unsubstantiated statement you made "stop hiding behind all the technical talk because you're flat out wrong" where you expect everyone to say "OH OK" and just believe you.

2nd Paragraph... Everyone knows dimmable rear view mirrors only dim when there are oncoming headlights that need to be dimmed. They have a limited viewing angle and are only concerned with the vehicles approaching. When the headlights are dimmed the rest of the background darkens also and cannot be seen. But in that case all you need to see is that vehicle's location which can still be seen by it's headlights. You're not going to run into anything behind you because it is dimmed in the background. And as long as the driver behind you can see you through his front windows all things are fine.

3rd Paragraph... As far as I"m concerned (and the laws in most states reflect) you can tint your rear window to your hearts desire. In fact a lot of vehicles don't have a rear window or are blocked when towing. That is fine as long as the outside rear view mirrors meet the states requirements for such vehicles.

4th paragraph... Yes, I have opinions as most everyone does and I have a right to express them. Once in a while they might be of benefit to the reader. All I did was make the suggestion that people consider all aspects of making a modification to their vehicle, and not just the one prompting them to make the modification. Safety is just one of them.

5th and final Paragraph... Dumb laws. Most laws are put in place to prevent bad things from happening. Unfortunately most times they only get implemented after something bad happened. Some over time become obsolete or need to be revised as technology advances. You say "There is a law prohibiting the use of the highly advanced lighting our cars come with (optional laser lights). That is not true! They are not prohibited from use but it is specified how they can be used. They must be turned off in certain situations because they can blind the oncoming driver or the driver in front of you. As technology advanced it became possible to dim portions of the high beams (anti-dazzle) where portions of the high beam can be turned off to prevent blinding while still providing additional illumination for the driver of the vehicle. Therefore the laws needed to be revised and they were in the US but still haven't been implemented. Also with the advent of high intensity low beams actions needed to occur to prevent blinding oncoming drivers. That technology was called "projector" headlamps where there is a very sharp cutoff at the top of the beam (below the oncoming windshield) to prevent blinding. *** You're being able to see better is not the only consideration when it comes to increasing headlight brightness. *** As I mentioned in my post all things need to be considered when making a change to a vehicle. ***

One more comment regarding high intensity headlights just to get everyone thinking. I have been noticing how blinding the headlights in general have become. You can easily see the difference when an older car with halogen headlights approaches. Apparently, from what I have been reading I am not the only one to feel this way. The techniques being used with high intensity headlights aren' working that well. Sharp cutoffs don't work with higher vehicles as the lights need to be angled downward to prevent blinding drivers of passenger cars and lower vehicles such as motorcycles which means the cut off only works at a certain distance. Even the light not directly hitting our eyes is blinding. I often wonder if a change to the color temperature of the light might be a simple answer.

I apologize if dragging this conversation out has annoyed anyone but as I mentioned at the start sometimes some things cannot go unchallenged or unsaid.
What a fucking Karen. It's only window tint man. Window tint laws are total bullshit and I think most cops agree.
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2024, 06:46 PM   #35
stoked335d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
2002 Mspec Nur  [10.00]
Here is my F97 with complete XPEL XR PLUS over Tartufo interior. Also have STEK Dynoflex film outside windshield. In a state with no tint on front windows law.

All body panels except for the roof from sunroof to rear spoiler is also XPEL protected. (Full Roof would have been another $1000 which is mostly a pano glass anyway )

Front 45%.
All rear and pano sunroof 70% over OEM privacy glass.
Windshield 90% inside.
Attached Images

2014 S4 APR stg1 444hp retired
2010 335d; 2004 WRX wagon; 1994 300ZX -retired
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 07:00 PM   #36
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Wow. 🍿🍿🍿🍿
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602217.00
      01-22-2024, 08:29 PM   #37
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

….

Name:  IMG_1455.jpeg
Views: 123
Size:  8.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 09:17 PM   #38
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Didn’t realize tint can trigger someone so hard.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 06:15 AM   #39
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
...how do you ever get into a car when people have their cell phones these days? I am way more concerned with assholes on their cell phones and anyone over 75 driving these days.

... Getting ran into by some dumb cunt that is taking selfies or on Instagram , absolutely
That is another example of people thinking motor vehicle laws are "Bullshit" and that they are going to do what they want.

That is also another reason why dark tinted windows where you cannot see the person inside are a bad idea. These people can do what they want while driving and not be seen.

I am a defensive driver and if I see a driver with a phone plugged into their ear or texting I stay clear.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 06:29 AM   #40
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
Didn’t realize tint can trigger someone so hard.
The issue has to do with 'tints' that are illegal. If people feel the law is wrong they need to fight to get it changed and not just disobey it and do what they want.

I always believed that people have the right to do what they want as long as it doesn't potentially harm someone else. When people drive on the road everything they do can affect other people and even cost them their lives.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 09:20 AM   #41
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
The issue has to do with 'tints' that are illegal. If people feel the law is wrong they need to fight to get it changed and not just disobey it and do what they want.

I always believed that people have the right to do what they want as long as it doesn't potentially harm someone else. When people drive on the road everything they do can affect other people and even cost them their lives.
I bet you drive under the speed limit too 100% of the time, huh?

You cannot say that tinting affects other people. You have no idea what it's like for other people to be driving with tint, you can only infer your experience. Maybe you have trouble seeing out of tinted windows but literally everyone else here (and I mean literally) do not.

You're trying to force your opinions on others based on your experience. That is the exact opposite of how it works.

No one is on your side here.
Appreciate 3
      01-23-2024, 09:30 AM   #42
stoked335d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
2002 Mspec Nur  [10.00]
Quote:

I don’t know where you live but by me most cops have their personal cars tinted. They even have their government issued cars tinted so dark you can’t see inside. Talk about hypocrisy. I do live in a state where front windows are illegal to tint.

I agree with you that some people do go overboard with 20% or darkers tints which can be a safety issue at night with reduced visibility.

Nano ceramic tints provide the middle ground where you can have the visibility and the UV protection from the sun.
2014 S4 APR stg1 444hp retired
2010 335d; 2004 WRX wagon; 1994 300ZX -retired
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 01:32 PM   #43
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked335d View Post
I don’t know where you live but by me most cops have their personal cars tinted. They even have their government issued cars tinted so dark you can’t see inside. Talk about hypocrisy.
I know exactly what you are saying as I live in a residential area where it is illegal to drive Quads on the street. I have people in all seasons tearing up and down my street on them (including race quads with no exhausts) and the police do nothing because they own quads themselves and drive them on the street.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 01:38 PM   #44
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Luke: "With the blast shield down, I can't see. How am I supposed to drive?"

Obi-wan: "Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them."

Pretty sure Obi-wan ran with pretty dark tint.
Appreciate 4
bri10425941.50
Lupeskew593.50