BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-21-2024, 07:25 PM   #1
Aetheryx
Rep
Drives: 323i

Tinting Windows

Hey all, my new G80 M3 competition is arriving this week. I plan to do a full front PPF with ceramic coating. I’m also going to tint the front and back windows with XPEL Prime XR Plus.

Does anyone have any example of what 35% back and 55% front looks like? Or around that? I’m still debating if I should do that or make it even all around and do 55% to all windows (except windshield). My car is in Isle of Man Green if that makes any difference.

Appreciate y’all!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 07:28 PM   #2
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Why not just tint all windows except the windshield to 35%?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 07:32 PM   #3
Aetheryx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Why not just tint all windows except the windshield to 35%?
Tinting the fronts are illegal where I live so I think 55% in the front is the max I can do without it being too obvious.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 08:13 PM   #4
duck998r
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Going through the same thing just picked up a 2024 M4 last week and got the whole care tinted minus the front windsheld. I believe it 20% (light coming in) or 80% blocked how ever you want to say it.. Looking at doing a mat full PPF on the car. They Quoted $6,200 which seems High if you could let me know what you are finding. Tinted cost $320
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 09:40 PM   #5
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetheryx View Post
Tinting the fronts are illegal where I live so I think 55% in the front is the max I can do without it being too obvious.
55 isn't incredibly obvious but there's also a 70% option from Xpel if you want heat rejection as the primary goal.

You can look through some photos here from my thread. A bit of the way down I've posted more photos with 35% all around and 70% front.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 10:24 PM   #6
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
55 isn't incredibly obvious but there's also a 70% option from Xpel if you want heat rejection as the primary goal.

You can look through some photos here from my thread. A bit of the way down I've posted more photos with 35% all around and 70% front.
I think he’s talking about “fronts” as the driver and passenger, not the windshield. What a weird place to live. Cops must be scared shitless and insurance companies keep blaming window tint for people not checking their sides properly and getting into accidents.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 11:36 PM   #7
Blister
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Here's 50% front and 20% rear.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
pizza240800.50
      01-21-2024, 11:39 PM   #8
Aetheryx
Rep

Quote:
I think he’s talking about “fronts” as the driver and passenger, not the windshield. What a weird place to live. Cops must be scared shitless and insurance companies keep blaming window tint for people not checking their sides properly and getting into accidents.
Yeah that’s what I meant by fronts, windshield is 100% no. BC, Canada… that’s how it be sometimes in Canada, sigh.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 12:08 AM   #9
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Yeah that’s what I meant by fronts, windshield is 100% no. BC, Canada… that’s how it be sometimes in Canada, sigh.
Its the same in California. But honestly we arent allowed to have tint on the front windows either but everyone does it. Mine is 20% all around and i havnt been bothered by cops yet and they are everywhere. I also run without a front plate and i havnt been pulled over yet.
Appreciate 1
Jim B1895.00
      01-22-2024, 04:43 AM   #10
Ankarah
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

How it looks in the pictures could be different from what you will actually see, depending on the light condition, time of the day, exposure, etc.

I would recommend that you stop by the shop where you plan to have it done and ask to see some examples of what they look like in person.

That’s how decided to go with 20% even though I initially had 35% in mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 05:54 AM   #11
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

I encourage people considering tinting their front windows and windshield to think beyond the "COOL" factor and consider all the factors involved. There are laws in place for this very reason. Not only does it make it more difficult for police and other drivers to understand your actions but the tint has the same effect at night and dim light conditions and makes it more difficult to see outside. Just because everyone is doing it (or you feel nobody will notice) doesn't make it right. There are fools out there who don't want to be told what to do and just want to be "COOL" regardless of the consequences. The question is... are you going to be one of them????
Appreciate 1
pizza240800.50
      01-22-2024, 07:29 AM   #12
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojg View Post
I encourage people considering tinting their front windows and windshield to think beyond the "COOL" factor and consider all the factors involved. There are laws in place for this very reason. Not only does it make it more difficult for police and other drivers to understand your actions but the tint has the same effect at night and dim light conditions and makes it more difficult to see outside. Just because everyone is doing it (or you feel nobody will notice) doesn't make it right. There are fools out there who don't want to be told what to do and just want to be "COOL" regardless of the consequences. The question is... are you going to be one of them????
Dude, you've been on this soapbox before. It's not just the cool factor. I invite you to come to Texas and run untinted front windows. Have fun with the skin cancer, blinding glare and massive heat intrusion.

I grew up in the NE and mid atlantic and never tinted my windows for 20 plus years of driving. Move to TX....mandatory. And now I wouldn't do without them on a normal car. If I lived up North, I'd probably do 50% front, 35% rear. Maybe 50% all around. But untinted on my daily? Nope.

My 997 Turbo S ran no tint because I liked the look and it was horrible. Soooo hot. I kept saying I was going to do 70% and never did and then sold it. But if I had to do it again. Definitely would do 70% all around.

It's not unsafe. I can see fine at night, even with needing glasses. In fact it HELPS cut glare from headlights.
Appreciate 3
      01-22-2024, 07:30 AM   #13
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Everybody keeps saying how good you guys have it up there saving money on medical insurance costs and stuff, but I think you end up spending all that saved money on KY for all the other ways you’re getting screwed. 😝
Appreciate 1
Buckeyes352.50
      01-22-2024, 07:36 AM   #14
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Everybody keeps saying how good you guys have it up there saving money on medical insurance costs and stuff, but I think you end up spending all that saved money on KY for all the other ways you’re getting screwed. 😝
Hey, the politicians cannot live the 'High Life' on their salaries alone!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 07:59 AM   #15
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Dude, you've been on this soapbox before. It's not just the cool factor. I invite you to come to Texas and run untinted front windows. Have fun with the skin cancer, blinding glare and massive heat intrusion.

I grew up in the NE and mid atlantic and never tinted my windows for 20 plus years of driving. Move to TX....mandatory. And now I wouldn't do without them on a normal car. If I lived up North, I'd probably do 50% front, 35% rear. Maybe 50% all around. But untinted on my daily? Nope.

My 997 Turbo S ran no tint because I liked the look and it was horrible. Soooo hot. I kept saying I was going to do 70% and never did and then sold it. But if I had to do it again. Definitely would do 70% all around.

It's not unsafe. I can see fine at night, even with needing glasses. In fact it HELPS cut glare from headlights.
It's pretty obvious that you don't know what you are talking about. For example:

You're words - "I invite you to come to Texas and run untinted front windows. Have fun with the skin cancer, blinding glare and massive heat intrusion".

It's UV that causes skin cancer not brightness. Clear glass does a pretty good job of filtering out most of the UV in the car. Don't believe me, try wearing auto darkening glasses in the car. They don't darken because they rely on UV light. As for glare you would be much better off wearing polarized sun glasses. Besides you can take them off in dim light unlike the tint. As for heat intrusion. That is why they make shades for the windshield when the car is parked and air conditioning when you are driving. I was never able to get a suntan while driving on a long trip no matter how hard I tried.

Quoted from online source: "Tinting glass reduces the amount of both visible and UVA transmitted through it. Some UVA still gets through, though. On average, 60–70% of UVA still penetrates tinted glass."

You're words - "It's not unsafe. I can see fine at night, even with needing glasses. In fact it HELPS cut glare from headlights."

Is that why people take their darkened sun glasses off at night. Not doing so at night is just plain unsafe and stupid. How do you remove tint at night?

You know that what you are doing is dumb but your desire to be "COOL" is what really blinds you. The only reason people wear sunglasses in a dimly lit environment (such as a restaurant) is to look "COOL" or to hide being identified. The fact that laws regarding tinted windows in a car exist, proves that!

I think you actually really 'need decaf'!

Last edited by turbojg; 01-22-2024 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
nalnass118.50
      01-22-2024, 08:01 AM   #16
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
https://reliantmedicalgroup.org/blog...%20and%20UVB).

The front windshield blocks UVA and UVB but not the side/rear windows.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 08:10 AM   #17
M4ord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Garage List
This is 35% nano-cermaic from XPEL. 35% is the legal limit in Maryland. With the top down and direct sunshine it gives a different perspective I think.

I dont live near desert heat, but the month or so that is hot here in D.C. I am happy with the reduced heat that XPEL provides.

In my opinion anything darker becomes a hazard at night on a non-lighted street.
Attached Images

Last edited by M4ord; 01-22-2024 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: added 2nd pic
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 08:15 AM   #18
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

35% or darker on the front sides make the side mirrors painful in dark and/or rainy conditions due to the automatic dimming mirrors, which are calibrated for no-tint.

That said 35% always looks great and you won't get into trouble in North America.

I am on team fishbowl with no-tint since it tint feels like a "performance downgrade" at night.

If I could calibrate the dimming on the mirrors, I probably would go ~50% or 35% max on most cars depending on the look I'm going for.

35% front transitioning to 55% rear will probably look pretty good.
      01-22-2024, 08:25 AM   #19
house
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C (due May)

Garage List
I did 20% all around (nothing on the windshield). I think it looks great, but like others have suggested, it does make it a bit difficult to see out of at night. Fortunately it's not my daily driver, but if it was, I'd go with 35%.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 08:49 AM   #20
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
It's pretty obvious that you don't know what you are talking about. For example:

You're words - "It's not unsafe. I can see fine at night, even with needing glasses. In fact it HELPS cut glare from headlights."

Is that why people take their darkened sun glasses off at night. Not doing so at night is just plain unsafe and stupid. How do you remove tint at night?

You know that what you are doing is dumb but your desire to be "COOL" is what really blinds you. The only reason people wear sunglasses in a dimly lit environment (such as a restaurant) is to look "COOL" or to hide being identified. The fact that laws regarding tinted windows in a car exist, proves that!

It's actually obvious you really hate tint and will go to any length to prove that you're right. And in fact your previous posts have proven it's a preference based on people thinking they are "cool" and that they are somehow endangering other people and pissing off cops by doing so. So please, stop hiding behind all the technical talk because you're flat out wrong. I have literally had tinted and untinted cars at the same time up until August of last year. And had ZERO issues seeing out of my cars with tinted windows.

Your point about removing sunglasses at night is null and void by the fact that rear view mirrors for decades have had an anti-dazzle switch for a dimming mode at night and, in fact, that our cars have STANDARD from the factory rear view mirrors (all three in fact, IIRC) that dim at night in reaction to headlights.

Ever driven with a modified pickup behind you that's lifted and sporting aftermarket headlights with poor beam control? Yeah, do that once and tell me that a tinted rear window at night is hurting me, not helping me.

You're 100% allowed to have your opionion that you think tint is some kind of immoral thing that kids are doing to feel "cool". Dude, I'm a 50 year old dad with kids and with a family history of skin cancer. I'm not doing squat to be "cool" . I'm doing it for comfort, and my own personal safety.

Finally your "evidence" that there is a tint law as somehow supporting your argument is a strawman. How many dumb laws are there? There is a law prohibiting the use of the highly advanced lighting our cars come with (optional laser lights) and yet once you've run with them, and see how much SAFER they are at night because of increased visibility all while NOT blinding oncoming traffic, you'll realize how stupid the law is and that it is prohibiting safety, not promoting it.
Appreciate 4
      01-22-2024, 11:06 AM   #21
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
No one with half a brain is blaming window tint for anything. If you can't see out of a 70% tinted window, which is virtually imperceptible vs a completely untinted window, then you don't deserve to be driving, I'm sorry.

Quote:
Tinting windshield is also illegal here too, but no one will notice 70%, it's virtually identical to being untinted. Even 55% is pretty light. Here's a good comparison:

At the very worst, even if you do get caught, somehow, they'll just tell you to remove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza240 View Post
35% or darker on the front sides make the side mirrors painful in dark and/or rainy conditions due to the automatic dimming mirrors, which are calibrated for no-tint.

That said 35% always looks great and you won't get into trouble in North America.

I am on team fishbowl with no-tint since it tint feels like a "performance downgrade" at night.

If I could calibrate the dimming on the mirrors, I probably would go ~50% or 35% max on most cars depending on the look I'm going for.

35% front transitioning to 55% rear will probably look pretty good.
I have zero issues with auto-dimming even with 35% all around and 70% windshield.

Quote:

You're words - "I invite you to come to Texas and run untinted front windows. Have fun with the skin cancer, blinding glare and massive heat intrusion".

It's UV that causes skin cancer not brightness. Clear glass does a pretty good job of filtering out most of the UV in the car. Don't believe me, try wearing auto darkening glasses in the car. They don't darken because they rely on UV light. As for glare you would be much better off wearing polarized sun glasses. Besides you can take them off in dim light unlike the tint. As for heat intrusion. That is why they make shades for the windshield when the car is parked and air conditioning when you are driving. I was never able to get a suntan while driving on a long trip no matter how hard I tried.

Quoted from online source: "Tinting glass reduces the amount of both visible and UVA transmitted through it. Some UVA still gets through, though. On average, 60–70% of UVA still penetrates tinted glass."

I think you need to really stop wasting your time. Even at 35% I have zero issues seeing anything around me, and the freaking cops not seeing in my car is the literal last thing I'm concerned about for anyone ever.

Like I said the before, if you can't see out of your car properly, even at 35% tint, you don't deserve to be driving because your eyesight is so poor.
Appreciate 1
yeetyeet391.50
      01-22-2024, 11:21 AM   #22
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
It's actually obvious you really hate tint and will go to any length to prove that you're right. And in fact your previous posts have proven it's a preference based on people thinking they are "cool" and that they are somehow endangering other people and pissing off cops by doing so. So please, stop hiding behind all the technical talk because you're flat out wrong. I have literally had tinted and untinted cars at the same time up until August of last year. And had ZERO issues seeing out of my cars with tinted windows.

Your point about removing sunglasses at night is null and void by the fact that rear view mirrors for decades have had an anti-dazzle switch for a dimming mode at night and, in fact, that our cars have STANDARD from the factory rear view mirrors (all three in fact, IIRC) that dim at night in reaction to headlights.

Ever driven with a modified pickup behind you that's lifted and sporting aftermarket headlights with poor beam control? Yeah, do that once and tell me that a tinted rear window at night is hurting me, not helping me.

You're 100% allowed to have your opionion that you think tint is some kind of immoral thing that kids are doing to feel "cool". Dude, I'm a 50 year old dad with kids and with a family history of skin cancer. I'm not doing squat to be "cool" . I'm doing it for comfort, and my own personal safety.

Finally your "evidence" that there is a tint law as somehow supporting your argument is a strawman. How many dumb laws are there? There is a law prohibiting the use of the highly advanced lighting our cars come with (optional laser lights) and yet once you've run with them, and see how much SAFER they are at night because of increased visibility all while NOT blinding oncoming traffic, you'll realize how stupid the law is and that it is prohibiting safety, not promoting it.
You're words - "It's actually obvious you really hate tint and will go to any length to prove that you're right."

Well isn't it just the opposite with you. So why are you condemning me? At least I have the law behind me in my thinking. If nothing else people should look up the stare laws where they live and not just follow what other people do and say (like you for example).

It is my business to be concerned about that as if someone with dark tinted windows doesn't see me at night and runs into me it becomes my problem.

I only offered up a suggestion and pointed to some examples to consider as a starting point.

My words - "I encourage people considering tinting their front windows and windshield to think beyond the "COOL" factor and consider all the factors involved."

The topic of the thread is "Tinting Windows" so my post was more than appropriate.

Why do you have to take so much offense and have to make a big deal about it?????

Last edited by turbojg; 01-22-2024 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0