BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-24-2024, 11:30 AM   #67
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked335d View Post
I don’t know where you live but by me most cops have their personal cars tinted. They even have their government issued cars tinted so dark you can’t see inside. Talk about hypocrisy. I do live in a state where front windows are illegal to tint.

I agree with you that some people do go overboard with 20% or darkers tints which can be a safety issue at night with reduced visibility.

Nano ceramic tints provide the middle ground where you can have the visibility and the UV protection from the sun.
I often see the same thing with police around where I live and I have also seen them fly by me at 20 mph over the speed limit with no lights or sirens on. Maybe auto tint material will evolve into being auto darkening whit light intensity but in the meantime I just wear polarized sunglasses as they have the advantage of cutting sun glare off of shiny objects. My problem is I often forget to take them off and get in a store or restaurant and wonder why I have a hard time seeing.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 11:34 AM   #68
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I really do dislike when people say "check out my tints". I mean, technically I guess it's not wrong since you're installing multiple pieces of film? Just sounds...odd to me.
I can fully understand that!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 11:56 AM   #69
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Letting the cops have easier access to illegitimately get the ability search your car is not "safety"

That's all it does. It does not increase safety for anyone including yourself or anyone else.
I understand what you are saying there is a lot of that going on. Doesn't make it right though. Cops are there to keep people safe and protect their rights but when they become the ones violating those rights they are the real criminals. Unfortunately, too often power goes to peoples heads.

Nevertheless, I cannot help but feel sorry for a cop as i pass by as they are walking up to a vehicle with dark tinted windows. I try to think what I would do in that situation, I think I would walk up with my gun fully drawn and ready to fire as the window came down. Unfortunately, that is how people get shot accidentally.

As much as I believe a lot of cops abuse their power I have noticed that in a lot of these videos shot by bystanders where the suspect was killed you never see what led up to that. What is always clear though is that in almost every one situations the person resisted arrest. In a lot of cases the person being subdued is big and strong. If I fought with someone like that for several minutes (not knowing if I would end up dead or seriously injured) when I got them under control I would do everything in my power to be sure they don't get up again. Even if it meant making them unconscious.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:01 PM   #70
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

If something as small as window tint and or paint match reflectors turns you into a complete Karen.... wait until you find out people on this forum install catless down pipes. The horror! They are illegal according to state regulation and are bad for the environment! Not safe and certainly not in compliance with the law. What say you tint Karen??
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 01:16 PM   #71
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tom Cruise View Post
If something as small as window tint and or paint match reflectors turns you into a complete Karen.... wait until you find out people on this forum install catless down pipes. The horror! They are illegal according to state regulation and are bad for the environment! Not safe and certainly not in compliance with the law. What say you tint Karen??
They are actually Federally illegal in the US. Shops that install them are subject to a 10k fine per incident.

I keep my tint legal for my state which is 35%. I do not tint my windshield. I like a lot darker tint but I don’t want to give the police any reason to pull me over. When I had my Hellcat I went 15% tint and I got pulled over a lot. As far as tint and cops go, when I get pulled over I roll both windows down fully and keep my hands at 10 and 2. I don’t give the cop a hard time and always answer “yes sir” or “no sir”. I don’t get all uppity with cops citing my rights. Most are just trying to do their job.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 01:48 PM   #72
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
They are actually Federally illegal in the US. Shops that install them are subject to a 10k fine per incident.

I keep my tint legal for my state which is 35%. I do not tint my windshield. I like a lot darker tint but I don’t want to give the police any reason to pull me over. When I had my Hellcat I went 15% tint and I got pulled over a lot. As far as tint and cops go, when I get pulled over I roll both windows down fully and keep my hands at 10 and 2. I don’t give the cop a hard time and always answer “yes sir” or “no sir”. I don’t get all uppity with cops citing my rights. Most are just trying to do their job.
Agree and same here. I am rocking a fishbowl right now, but if I lived in TX or FL I would 100% tint my g80 pretty dark.

On the catless issue... I believe this was the reason AWE and some other brands started making their exhaust systems all include secondary cats.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:16 PM   #73
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
WoW! People on here are actually installing catless down pipes!? The planet is doomed and those people will go straight to hell.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:35 PM   #74
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
On the catless issue... I believe this was the reason AWE and some other brands started making their exhaust systems all include secondary cats.
A lot of shops will still do them but more on the down-low. If you live in NJ you’re screwed as it won’t pass yearly inspection. Neither will CA but I don’t think inspection is needed for the first few years. CA will take your car if you get pulled over and the cop checks. They don’t mess around in CA. In PA since the inspection shops are not state run most will look the other way. Down here in SC there is no inspection or emissions tests so it’s the wild west for mods and Challanger’s that people paint up to look like the General Lee! 😂
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 03:36 PM   #75
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
A lot of shops will still do them but more on the down-low. If you live in NJ you’re screwed as it won’t pass yearly inspection. Neither will CA but I don’t think inspection is needed for the first few years. CA will take your car if you get pulled over and the cop checks. They don’t mess around in CA. In PA since the inspection shops are not state run most will look the other way. Down here in SC there is no inspection or emissions tests so it’s the wild west for mods and Challanger’s that people paint up to look like the General Lee! 😂
Easy to get stickers in Jersey from Mom and pop shops. Haven’t taken anything through DMV in a long time
Appreciate 0