BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

Closed Thread

09-27-2020, 06:48 AM   #375
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

When the e46 came out, I absolutely loved it!

When the e9X came out, I thought it was almost perfect from a drivers perspective.. not beautiful but not bad either. Still loved it!

Then BMW started to drift. The F80 started to lose its ultimate driving machine roots. The weight and electric steering took a lot out of the M brand for me. There was a very Toyota like shift where the company seemed to be trying to cater to a broader audience and in doing so, dulled their best products.

This G80 is just.. it's trying too hard. Looks like the styling department from either Honda or Toyota has taken over. They nailed the M2.. then fired everyone? Wtf is going on with BMW anymore? They've just fallen off as the drivers focused luxury brand. I'm not feeling like a part of this anymore. I feel like BMW, at least the company I loved, died with the retirement of the e9X cars.

This sucks.

Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3574.50
      09-27-2020, 07:05 AM   #376
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c 2019 M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnerable View Post

When the e9X came out, I thought it was almost perfect from a drivers perspective.. not beautiful but not bad either. Still loved it!

Then BMW started to drift. The F80 started to lose its ultimate driving machine roots. The weight and electric steering took a lot out of the M brand for me. There was a very Toyota like shift where the company seemed to be trying to cater to a broader audience and in doing so, dulled their best products.

This G80 is just.. it's trying too hard. Looks like the styling department from either Honda or Toyota has taken over. They nailed the M2.. then fired everyone? Wtf is going on with BMW anymore? They've just fallen off as the drivers focused luxury brand. I'm not feeling like a part of this anymore. I feel like BMW, at least the company I loved, died with the retirement of the e9X cars.

This sucks.

I don’t hate the new cars that much. I think it’s a bold direction, overall, but these performance parts are straight up Toyota looking. Right off that new corolla thing I’ve seen around trying to be a sports sedan.

It looks terrible and cheap... and that exhaust... omfg
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 07:11 AM   #377
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire.f80 View Post
Yes; this is neither a rational nor realistic comparison.
For me at least, they occupy the same emotional space, and I'm left feeling that the Alfa gets its hooks into me more.
Twice the price though so yeah, may as well throw a nice 911 variant of your choice in there too.
      09-27-2020, 07:20 AM   #378
sapphire.f80
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
For me at least, they occupy the same emotional space, and I'm left feeling that the Alfa gets its hooks into me more.
Twice the price though so yeah, may as well throw a nice 911 variant of your choice in there too.
Like I had said, it isn't a rational comparison.

Last I checked, a 911 is not a high performance mid-size sedan.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #379
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:

This sucks.
It’s interesting you’d say this, because the F80 is actually lighter than the E90, the first generation for M3 where that happened. I switched from the E90 to the F80 because I thought the F drove better, and knew it was going to be more fun at lower speeds as well.

But you are right, there has been a shift and this last car is completely off the mark as far as I’m concerned. Between the styling and the weight increase...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2020, 09:12 AM   #380
DrmKlr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Outside of the E46, this is factually the hottest car BMW ever made. Now to decide on what color to order.
Previous - 2015 Yas on Black Extended Merino/Lighting Package/ DINANTRONICS Stage 1
Appreciate 2
Jcali861479.00
      09-27-2020, 09:12 AM   #381
m3welt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I might be crazy but it's slightly growing on me. Lowered on 20" front and back... maybe I can get used the grill...
Attached Images

84 R100 RT Café Racer

Past:
2005 E46 ZCP M3 Silver Grey 6MT
1998 E36 M3 Silver 5MT
1968 E10 2002 Roundie Grey 4MT
2018 F87 M2 BSM 6MT
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #382
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I don't mind the grill anymore, but the m performance parts are absolutely atrocious
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #383
M3Dreams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83,F30340,E82135,E90M3,E46330

Quote:

This sucks.
I could not agree more with you. I remember seeing the E46 in flesh and getting goose bumps. Fast forward ten years, I finally bought an E90 and every time I parked it and walked away, I did a double take and got the same feeling. Now, I think if hell froze over and I somehow bought this crap, I would park and hide as quickly as possible to make sure I was not associated to it as the owner. Buying an M2 next and calling it quits with BMW.
Appreciate 1
h_bakken148.50
      09-27-2020, 10:02 AM   #384
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 (E93) Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Dreams View Post
Quote:

This sucks.
I could not agree more with you. I remember seeing the E46 in flesh and getting goose bumps. Fast forward ten years, I finally bought an E90 and every time I parked it and walked away, I did a double take and got the same feeling. Now, I think if hell froze over and I somehow bought this crap, I would park and hide as quickly as possible to make sure I was not associated to it as the owner. Buying an M2 next and calling it quits with BMW.
I felt the same about my E92 and and still do with my M4 GTS (even with the wing, gasp, I think the CS rear looks better though).

I'll need to see the G in person to get a better idea of how I actually feel about it.

I do think the red paint job on the car in the video looks silly, and I feel that the grill is out of proportion to the rest of the car.

And MP exhaust is as polarizing as the grill.

And I miss the hood bulge of the past generations, which sort of defined the M3 look to me anyhow.

I do think the GTS and CS hood is the nicest looking hood.

Wheels look good and carbon buckets are cool, assuming they are so you can install race harness, something I cannot do on my US spec GTS.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #385
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Like I had said, it isn't a rational comparison.

Last I checked, a 911 is not a high performance mid-size sedan.
No but at least they occupy the same emotional space so all is great
      09-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #386
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Thing looks like an Sti hooked up with a civic type r. The interior is the only part I love about this car.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 10:56 AM   #387
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

The m340 is definitely the car to buy if you want a g series.
Appreciate 2
Ikester192124.00
      09-27-2020, 11:05 AM   #388
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The English Guy View Post
When I saw the designer arrive in his sneakers without socks and his pseudo fashionable sport suit, that was the last straw. Sad times my friends.
That's very fashionable these days...it demonstrates they have someone who's at least in touch with current trends. I think we are really grasping at straws when we start talking about what BMW employees are wearing (you're not the first or even the third person I've seen make that comment and I don't mean any offense).
Appreciate 2
Jcali861479.00
      09-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #389
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrmKlr View Post
Outside of the E46, this is factually the hottest car BMW ever made. Now to decide on what color to order.
Coming from a Yas Marina Blue, what colors are you considering? I am stuck here. I dislike IoMG, SPY is too "lime green" for me, Toronto Red is too orange to me, I am focused on a Frozen Orange Metallic (provided it wont delay production by several months).

My 2nd G80 will be either Fire Orange or Yas.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 11:14 AM   #390
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:

This sucks.
It’s interesting you’d say this, because the F80 is actually lighter than the E90, the first generation for M3 where that happened. I switched from the E90 to the F80 because I thought the F drove better, and knew it was going to be more fun at lower speeds as well.

But you are right, there has been a shift and this last car is completely off the mark as far as I’m concerned. Between the styling and the weight increase...
Yeah I hear you. But it still "felt" better behind the wheel to me. It's more the experience than the stats as far as I'm concerned. I felt the e9X M3 was an absolute drivers gem. I did not get that feeling with the G80.

Only Porsche offers premium driving enthusiast cars anymore. Well, them and soon Gordon Murray but that's a tad out of my budget.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #391
DrmKlr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrmKlr View Post
Coming from a Yas Marina Blue, what colors are you considering? I am stuck here. I dislike IoMG, SPY is too "lime green" for me, Toronto Red is too orange to me, I am focused on a Frozen Orange Metallic (provided it wont delay production by several months).

My 2nd G80 will be either Fire Orange or Yas.
Honestly, I am kind of stuck on IoMG at the moment. That said, red is my favorite color and I've never owned a red car. I absolutely love my Tanzanite Blue II now, but want something lighter more "bright" this time. I think it's going to come down to seeing more of these colors in different lighting, maybe even in person to really decide.
Previous - 2015 Yas on Black Extended Merino/Lighting Package/ DINANTRONICS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #392
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Gotta love people saying BMW needed a bold new design with the huge grills, wow fucking exciting, copying design cues from a kia isnt a bold new direction.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #393
The English Guy
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F80 MW M3 / Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
That's very fashionable these days...it demonstrates they have someone who's at least in touch with current trends. I think we are really grasping at straws when we start talking about what BMW employees are wearing (you're not the first or even the third person I've seen make that comment and I don't mean any offense).
No offense taken. I guess I just want my M car to be designed by somebody covered in grease He maybe a fashionista and great with his poodle and a latte but don't start designing cars. I'm sorry but the whole thing is atrocious and I am truly in mourning.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #394
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenpuref3p View Post
The m340 is definitely the car to buy if you want a g series.

Obviously I haven't driven the M3/M4 Gx pedigree yet, but I have the M340.

if the former is anything like the latter, we're in for a lot of fun
      09-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #395
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Wow, what is with that video. You really think a bunch of rebel 20-30 year olds is the demographic for this car.. which is going to move into the 6 digit price territory with all these fancy performance parts?
I find this odd too hence my Napoleon Dynamite reference. It would make more sense if the ad was for the 2 series GC.
      09-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #396
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
Gotta love people saying BMW needed a bold new design with the huge grills, wow fucking exciting, copying design cues from a kia isnt a bold new direction.
2 years from now, this design will be so attractive to everyone. just wait and see. Also didn't Kia steal designers from bmw?
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
Closed Thread