BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-04-2022, 07:53 PM   #23
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
It's purely a styling decision. Personally I'd rather have the floating look screen than have a gigantic hood around it for no reason. If you want relevance of this design you can find it in probably every TV and computer monitor on the market. Everyone floats their display panel.
That is only because those companies only sell you the TV unit or monitor unit, not also the house they come in.

And also because they hope to sell you a new one every few years.

So no relevance to the car use case.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 3
Andrae26852.00
Ugly Kar414.50
Scorp!on1514.50
      05-04-2022, 08:44 PM   #24
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
I'd buy the m3 touring over a x3m in a heartbeat!!!
But would you pay an extra $20k for a M3 Touring over a similarly equipped X3M? Not enough Americans would.
For me the biggest advantage that an M3 Touring has versus an X is getting a car with a low center of gravity like a true M car (and unlike an X) and yet decent cargo space: to me, that would be the best of both worlds and something really exciting to drive. I'm drooling just at the idea.
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2022, 09:22 PM   #25
mockngbrd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1974 BMW 2002 / Toyota Mark II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFTBA View Post
- The Jeff Koons BMW M850i ​​is mehhhh, especially in the interior.
I hope it's not wrong I like the Jeff Koons 8er. I think it's funky and something fun. Though I can understand why many will hate it.

(Not like I can afford one though. :x )
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2022, 09:26 PM   #26
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockngbrd View Post
I hope it's not wrong I like the Jeff Koons 8er. I think it's funky and something fun. Though I can understand why many will hate it.

How much are they?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 09:28 PM   #27
mockngbrd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1974 BMW 2002 / Toyota Mark II

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
How much are they?
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/j...es-gran-coupe/

Quote:
This is a limited-run production car, of which 99 examples will be made. Want one? That'll be $350,995 including destination, which is more than three times the base price of a new M850i Gran Coupe.
Appreciate 3
      05-04-2022, 09:30 PM   #28
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
I wouldn't pay $150k for one, let alone $350k!
Appreciate 2
DFTBA121.50
      05-05-2022, 12:41 AM   #29
FC05
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring Z3M Coupe

Thanks for sharing
About G81

I doubt it's got no sunroof as production car maybe you just looking at the prototype.

Want to know does it have those ugly curved screens or remain traditional dashboard?

Is the exterior LCI? Any different? New headlights or maybe new set of wheels? Probably not
      05-05-2022, 01:10 AM   #30
DFTBA
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW F83

Garage List
Hi,

Sorry for lateish response. Tried to answer all questions, see below :

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastsun61 View Post
Did the g81 have updated interior other than the ID8? Like new steering wheel or dash?

Also did they change the headlights too?
Steering wheel seemed to be the same than in the G80 and the dash was adapted to the ID8 obviously. I am not so sure ID8 will be standard, though as former prototypes showed ID7.

See e.g. https://cdn.bimmertoday.de/wp-conten...r-Kombi-04.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

- Is the CSL splitter adjustable as in that it can be extracted and retracted?
- Did the CSL have the new racing buckets?
- Did they say if the CSL trunk floor is CF or other lightweight material ala the E46?
- Did they mention which of the two or both that is going to be revealed at Villa d’Este in 2–3w?
- Honestly, I really focussed on the M3, so I can’t tell you for sure. For what it’s worth, I can’t recall having seen any adjustment possibility.
- Seemed standard to me (not an expert, though). What I also recall is that the center arm rest was smaller than in the standard G82.
- They don’t say anything. You get 5 minutes in a room and try to take a look through dozens of people, that’s about it.
- See post below yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
Yep, no way I buy a car with a long ipad as a dash. Nothing but cheap tacky cost cutting.

I remember the days when people were more than willing to pay $1k+ for navigation system integrated into the dash because it looked so much better than a $100 Garmin stuck on the dash.
I dislike the graphic layout, the dash as such is OKish assuming it comes as standard. For my F97 LCI (on order) I would also prefer the pre-LCI dash but you can’t have it all.

Quote:

I think the exterior is fine, I really do ! But the interior colour mix (red/blue/brown) is simply not nice to remain polite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC05 View Post
Thanks for sharing
About G81

I doubt it's got no sunroof as production car maybe you just looking at the prototype.

Want to know does it have those ugly curved screens or remain traditional dashboard?

Is the exterior LCI? Any different? New headlights or maybe new set of wheels? Probably not
- I assume it was the prototype thing and that i twill probably get a sun roof, too. I don’t know for CF roof and don’t know for other markets, but here in Europe you can have the e.g. m340 G20 with CF but not the G21 m340.
- « Ugly screen » for the one I’ve seen (ID8)
- Couldn’t detect any noticeable difference. Had black 826M, and what looked to me like normal G80 laser lights.
Appreciate 2
solstice5457.50
FC05206.50
      05-05-2022, 04:00 AM   #31
karlkir5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435d X-drive

I was really hoping for the ID.7 interior. DFTBA Does it look like the i4 dashboard?

The only hope is that it will have a trailer hitch possibility. If not then I will be looking for a used xDrive M3 and retrofitting the trailer hitch from G2x.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 04:18 AM   #32
DFTBA
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW F83

Garage List
Hi,

yes, like I4.

Trailer hitch would make sense given target group, competitors (RS4, etc.), and other M models with hitch option from factory and a comparable target group (E.g. M5).

Has the G80 actually got the same drive train than the x3m? Asking as afaik there is no trailer option for the G80 and the F97 one potentially fits. Otherwise, I am confident that some 3rd parties like Rameder or so will offer a suitable product.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 07:23 AM   #33
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFTBA View Post
Hi,

yes, like I4.

Trailer hitch would make sense given target group, competitors (RS4, etc.), and other M models with hitch option from factory and a comparable target group (E.g. M5).

Has the G80 actually got the same drive train than the x3m? Asking as afaik there is no trailer option for the G80 and the F97 one potentially fits. Otherwise, I am confident that some 3rd parties like Rameder or so will offer a suitable product.
G80 xdrive has same drivetrain as the X3M, which got it from the M5. Lots of people have put hitches on and I'd venture to guess there's no factory build option because, well, BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 08:12 AM   #34
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

I don't see why the M3 LCI couldn't be offered with or without iDrive8, like the M240i you can have analog gauges or pay a 1k option for the digital cockpit (at least here in Canada) Same option on some 3 series too.

I highly doubt BMW will be offering iDrive8 from the start in All 3 series trims. They can easily install one of the two dash models at the factory.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1514.50
      05-05-2022, 08:24 AM   #35
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

I'm done wasting my breath and praying for this car. If they don't want us to have it, then so be it. Not looking for an x3m or any other SUV. I want a WAGON. Not settling for anything else. It definitely doesn't have to be a BMW tho. So I have no problem looking elsewhere. And truth be told, anyone who is as serious about a long roof as I am, I'd encourage you to do the same.

I'm seeing panamera cross turismos as low as what I'd assume these would end up costing, of course not in the same in terms of performance (4/4s, not GTS/Turbo) but a nice compromise.

E63s and RS6s are a bit (ok, a bit more than a bit lol) out of my desired price range at the moment. I will definitely keep an eye out for an RS6 as the world continues to recover. I can see myself going cpo.

Volvo v90 r-design and jag xf sportbrakes are where I'm concentrating most of my attention. I was very close to puking the trigger a few weeks ago on a jag but the mileage was a tad higher than I like. I sat on it for a couple of days and when I called the dealer back to make an offer it had just sold the night before. T6 R-designs look and drive great. A twincharged engine is something I'd have to think about owning long term.

I'm keeping an eye out for decent f31s and a4 allroad but they're a bit smaller than what I'm imagining.

Also for those looking to go electric Audi had the etron avant concept that came out a few months ago and it looks drop dead gorgeous. There are options out there. Best we just accept reality, move on and let Munich decide what they want to do- that's really the only was to institute change- with your wallet.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 08:25 AM   #36
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Know what's great about having a screen integrated into the dash? Less sun reflection off of it so it's easier to see / read at all times.

I can't stand the floating ipad look and it's one of the significant factors that turned me off to Mercedes when I was cross shopping. I liked BMW's at-least-partial-integration on the current G2x / G8x interiors.

I can't understate how much I loathe the trend towards "touchscreen ALL the controls" too. What happened to the driver-centric ethos? What happened to letting you focus more on the road, and not whether you're about to turn up the volume or the temperature or open the navigation screen by accident? Let alone when it's bumpy and you're trying to do something.

Voice controls aren't at the point yet where they're flawless enough to completely replace everything, and they're annoying to use for minor things that would take half as long to hit a couple buttons. Then there's the times when other people are in the car and you're trying to input something - I can't count how many times I've gotten annoyed because I try to input a voice command for a destination and as soon as I'm done talking, someone else starts the conversation back up and the car gets confused and I have to start over.

Fuck. All. That.
Imagine it comes down to cost and serviceability. Having it modular helps on both fronts. I agree I am not a fan of touch screen. Finger prints, finicky sensitivity to pressure, takes focus away from road, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #37
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

I just want a wagon I can take to the track with reasonable consumables. (Scared of Panamera GTS tires and brakes)

M3 Touring would be perfection.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 09:49 AM   #38
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Know what's great about having a screen integrated into the dash? Less sun reflection off of it so it's easier to see / read at all times.

I can't stand the floating ipad look and it's one of the significant factors that turned me off to Mercedes when I was cross shopping. I liked BMW's at-least-partial-integration on the current G2x / G8x interiors.

I can't understate how much I loathe the trend towards "touchscreen ALL the controls" too. What happened to the driver-centric ethos? What happened to letting you focus more on the road, and not whether you're about to turn up the volume or the temperature or open the navigation screen by accident? Let alone when it's bumpy and you're trying to do something.

Voice controls aren't at the point yet where they're flawless enough to completely replace everything, and they're annoying to use for minor things that would take half as long to hit a couple buttons. Then there's the times when other people are in the car and you're trying to input something - I can't count how many times I've gotten annoyed because I try to input a voice command for a destination and as soon as I'm done talking, someone else starts the conversation back up and the car gets confused and I have to start over.

Fuck. All. That.
This is the same BMW that is stripping the manual transmission out of most of its models (M340i, M240i I'm looking at you). There is even a solid rumour that the new M2 will only be a manual in the US, despite good takeup in other countries around the world.

The reason many companies are going for the floating display look is that customers are expecting larger screens in their cars and to integrate it would make the dashboard be extremely bulky. Just be happy there isn't a massive, portrait touch screen or a waterfall of screens all the way down the centre stack.

I hate the iphones in the doors of the new 7 too. People think they are luxurious but a high quality, tactile, mechatronic switch will always be more satisfying to use and feel more expensive.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2022, 10:13 AM   #39
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaah View Post
The reason many companies are going for the floating display look is that customers are expecting larger screens in their cars and to integrate it would make the dashboard be extremely bulky.
I hope the below report comes true.

Quote:
Head of BMW i Interior Design Matthias Junghanns had plenty to say on the matter. "Is it the big screen that counts? I'm personally convinced that these black glass surfaces in the car interiors are... we will leave that behind, sooner or later," said Junghanns.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/bmw-po...on-the-way-out
Appreciate 1
aaaaah354.00
      05-05-2022, 12:16 PM   #40
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
I hope the below report comes true.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/bmw-po...on-the-way-out
God I hope so.

IMO they could keep the current size while sliding it down the center stack a bit and integrating it better and that would be perfect.

The advancements of the HUD mean even when using navigation I'm rarely looking at the gauge cluster or infotainment screen anyway - I absolutely love having the turn by turn, lane change prompts, etc in the HUD next to my speed, and those are really the key items you need to look at while driving. I glance down to see what song is playing sometimes if I don't know it, or on occasion to zoom out and check something on the map, but it's currently more than sufficient in terms of size IMO.

I have zero desire to see a Tesla-esque ipad in the middle of the dash. I like BMWs because of the driving experience....not the passenger infotainment experience.

What's going to be interesting is to see if it develops into an infotainment split between trim levels in the same model. Dodge, Ford, etc have smaller screens for different packages and only the top tier "luxury" trims have the giant ipad screens. If it split into "sport" vs "luxury" and sport kept a more minimal screen while luxury trims got the bigger ultrawide, I'd opt for the sport every time.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
PLF693767.50
      05-05-2022, 03:06 PM   #41
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Will the M4 CSL have water injection like the GTS?
Appreciate 1
RPM33612.00
      05-05-2022, 03:26 PM   #42
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
Will the M4 CSL have water injection like the GTS?
No rumors, I'd say no 99.9%
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 07:00 PM   #43
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

So local dealer says I can get a build slot for this thing ... got a question though

Do you think it will debut as a base then later get a competition and then after a few years get a CS?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 07:24 PM   #44
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M4 View Post
So local dealer says I can get a build slot for this thing ... got a question though

Do you think it will debut as a base then later get a competition and then after a few years get a CS?
G81:

11GB - ECE - LHD - M3 M XDrive Competition Touring
12GB - ECE - RHD - M3 M XDrive Competition Touring

Thats it.
Appreciate 1
G30M3805.00