BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-22-2024, 12:49 PM   #1
Bch53211
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
Assisted driving

When I first got my car a couple years ago, I posted that I didn’t think the assisted driving function worked very well l. Instead of getting constructive responses, the majority of folks seemed to take offense. A typical response was this is a performance car if you want the car to drive itself buy a Tesla. A couple years later I stand by what I first said it is so easily confused, and often I get the yellow warning flash indicating that it does not recognize what it needs to recognize. I can’t use it for more than a minute or two without having to intervene to avoid a serious crash. I’m taking my car in for service this week and Ive asked to have the techs check to see if it needs recalibration. Has anyone else out there had to have their system recalibrated and if so, did it seem to help?

Last edited by Bch53211; 04-22-2024 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 12:59 PM   #2
CHI2PC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3CX / 2023 Tesla M3P

I have both a 2024 G80 and a 2023 Model 3 Performance. I only use assisted driving on the highways, but the BMW is far superior in my opinion in that respect. Can’t speak for using it on more residential roads. The Tesla is generally terrible. Also, we got full self driving for free for this month (all Teslas got it) and my wife almost hit a guardrail when the Tesla decided to swerve for no reason. The Tesla also randomly slams on its brakes when cruising at 80 mph. It is constantly seeing ghosts.

Maybe your system has some issues.
Appreciate 2
Needsdecaf6645.00
eugenebmw1518.00
      04-22-2024, 01:10 PM   #3
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

mine works pretty well when I've used it. Great when you have to sit in traffic
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 02:04 PM   #4
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

From my experince, it generally works well but has its limitation. It works better on the highway than on residential or rural streets. It can also get confused in certain situations, like when the road curves AND the elevation changes at the same time.

As long as you treat it as anti-fatigue feature rather than a "self-driving mode", it's a nice option to have.

Last edited by / / / M3; 04-22-2024 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
Cloudplay251.50
      04-22-2024, 02:45 PM   #5
Bch53211
Major
Rep

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI2PC View Post
I have both a 2024 G80 and a 2023 Model 3 Performance. I only use assisted driving on the highways, but the BMW is far superior in my opinion in that respect. Can’t speak for using it on more residential roads. The Tesla is generally terrible. Also, we got full self driving for free for this month (all Teslas got it) and my wife almost hit a guardrail when the Tesla decided to swerve for no reason. The Tesla also randomly slams on its brakes when cruising at 80 mph. It is constantly seeing ghosts.

Maybe your system has some issues.
That’s so strange my friend has a model S and also has the free trial of the Full self drive system this month, and we drove from the north side of the city all the way downtown without him having to make a single correction the entire time - if the car would’ve allowed it, we could’ve made the entire 15 mile journey which included freeway and city roads without him touching the wheel once. This makes me feel like some car’s systems are just dialed in more and others need recalibration
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 02:49 PM   #6
Bch53211
Major
Rep

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by / / / M3 View Post
From my experince, it generally works well but has its limitation. It works better on the highway than on residential or rural streets. It can also beget confused in certain situations, like when the road curves AND the elevation changes at the same time.

As long as you treat it as anti-fatigue feature rather than a "self-driving mode", it's a nice option to have.
Thanks for your input - yes, I don’t expect it to be anything like a full self drive system. But in pretty simple situations where the lines on the road are clearly marked the car will often continue to go straight without even recognizing that the road is turning. It’s as if the system panics it’ll give me an auditory warning and two yellow flashes on my steering wheel before disengaging entirely.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 04:17 PM   #7
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
I don’t have it on my current M4 but had it on my ‘22 X3MC. I only used it on highway drives from SC-PA-SC. It worked great for me. Did I have to intervene at times? Yes. It would get confused in construction zones with lane lines all screwed up. It was truly a game-changer for those multiple trips. I never took my hands off the road or moved my hands from the wheel. It just made that 11 hr drive more tolerable. Once I stopped those regular trips, I no longer used it. For me it was only used for very long highway trips.

I’d say if yours is causing you to almost have accidents there is something wrong with it. Hopefully the dealer can find it. May just be a bad sensor.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 04:25 PM   #8
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

works great for me, I usually get on the highway, rest my leg on the steering wheel and the car does everything. Unless I want to have a little fun
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 04:43 PM   #9
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bch53211 View Post
Thanks for your input - yes, I don’t expect it to be anything like a full self drive system. But in pretty simple situations where the lines on the road are clearly marked the car will often continue to go straight without even recognizing that the road is turning. It’s as if the system panics it’ll give me an auditory warning and two yellow flashes on my steering wheel before disengaging entirely.
I honestly don’t experience that. Mine holds lane very well. It makes mistakes no doubt but like cruising it holds lanes well.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 05:29 PM   #10
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

My experience after owning and driving Tesla Model 3's for almost 90k miles:

Active Cruse - BMW with the solid win. So much smoother than Tesla. By a MILE.

Lane Keep - Tesla with a whisker win. Just a taaad smoother.

Automated lane change - BMW for the win by a mile. Tesla would either not go, cut someone off, or jump into the other lane like I was avoiding roadkill. No bueno.

All in...BMW for the win. Something wrong with your car. Get it checked / recalibrated.
Appreciate 1
CHI2PC39.00
      04-22-2024, 09:56 PM   #11
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

What version of self drive were you on in that Model 3? The S Plaid I was in a couple of weeks ago had none of these issues and drove itself around pretty well. It was on the latest build out now.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 10:30 PM   #12
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
What version of self drive were you on in that Model 3? The S Plaid I was in a couple of weeks ago had none of these issues and drove itself around pretty well. It was on the latest build out now.
Whatever version was out in December 2022.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 11:00 PM   #13
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I have it on two G80 M3's now and I dont care for it. I found it somewhat bounces off the highway lines trying to keep straight. Mine has also got confused by offramp lines and wanted to dart in one direction or the other confused.

To me, the self driving should be done by a computer on the side of the highway that our vehicles connect to and let that system manage all the vehicles moving down the highway. I bet thats how it will be someday sooner than later.
      04-23-2024, 12:46 AM   #14
CHI2PC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
My experience after owning and driving Tesla Model 3's for almost 90k miles:

Active Cruse - BMW with the solid win. So much smoother than Tesla. By a MILE.

Lane Keep - Tesla with a whisker win. Just a taaad smoother.

Automated lane change - BMW for the win by a mile. Tesla would either not go, cut someone off, or jump into the other lane like I was avoiding roadkill. No bueno.

All in...BMW for the win. Something wrong with your car. Get it checked / recalibrated.
This is pretty spot on as how I would characterize it as an owner of both vehicles. My only caveat would be for me personally that I think the lane keep assist is a little better on the M3 than vice versa. What really shocked me is the G80 on ACC would fly by 18 wheelers at 80 and I was admittedly nervous at first, but the car does it so confidently, even in a corner. I live in the mountain west, so my highways got twisties. The Tesla is not very confident in the twisties and seemingly more often than not will just brake check and get all panicky when there is an 18 wheeler. It also does this ping pong thing in corners between the lines, which my G80 usually doesn’t do. I would say the Tesla lane keep assist is a bit better at slower speeds, but that’s not my use case.

Plus, the BMW requires less input pressure on the wheel than my Model 3.

I also suspect whatever a model S does is far superior than to what my model 3 does.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6645.00
      04-23-2024, 12:47 AM   #15
CHI2PC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if this was directed to me, but my model 3 is on whatever the latest and greatest is.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 07:34 AM   #16
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if this was directed to me, but my model 3 is on whatever the latest and greatest is.
No, it wasn’t. It was for the other guy who already answered. But in terms of your Model 3, there will supposedly be an issue in terms of how good self-drive is on those models depending on if they were radar based first and then flipped to cameras or some other junk like that. It’s something along those lines, but not sure… it’s a 3 thing. The S Plaid I was in was horrible at fucking parking though, like not even parallel parking, but backing into a spot. So bad I wanted to hide in the passenger seat. Lol. It’s like an old person trying to park. I think even parallel is like that too. I will never buy a car and put options on it for this crap. Ridiculous… I’ll bang out a parallel park or normal park job faster than this shit. It’s a fun gimmick sometimes, but that’s about it. My friend loves his S, but I just don’t know why. At least the dash is laid out like a proper car and not like the 3 and other Teslas, but I can’t stand that yoke wheels. 🤮
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 09:52 AM   #17
TxFeatFan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
2024 G83 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
What really shocked me is the G80 on ACC would fly by 18 wheelers at 80 and I was admittedly nervous at first, but the car does it so confidently, even in a corner. I live in the mountain west, so my highways got twisties.
Are we passing 18-wheelers hands-free at 80 mph on mountain twisties?

—————————————————————————————————————
2024 Tanzanite Blue II M4 Convertible
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 09:59 AM   #18
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Mine works great for when I'm stuck in slow traffic. I could be crazy, but think it has learned a bit from my habits as well. Early on, I occasionally had to intervene with the wheel to stay a bit further from trucks or further from the shoulder, depending on which lane I'm in... and now it seems to have put me into the position I prefer.

I don't regret paying for this option even though I only use it 1-2x per month.
      04-23-2024, 10:07 AM   #19
vlo
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

I have the assisted driving on my ‘23m3cx. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how well it works and don’t think I’d have another car without it. I only use it on the highway but it absolutely makes it so I can drive much further in a day. Drove solo from CO to FL in 2 days. And then a couple of weeks later back also over 2 days. 1400 miles the first day only stopping for gas. Was close to 20 hours in a day. Driving assist the entire time. Yes, I have to occasionally intervene. I think it puts you in more of a “managerial” position - you’re there to catch when the staff screw up. Without driving assists the most I’ve been able to do is 13ish solo. I think it massively reduces driver fatigue.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 01:14 PM   #20
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No, it wasn’t. It was for the other guy who already answered. But in terms of your Model 3, there will supposedly be an issue in terms of how good self-drive is on those models depending on if they were radar based first and then flipped to cameras or some other junk like that. It’s something along those lines, but not sure… it’s a 3 thing. The S Plaid I was in was horrible at fucking parking though, like not even parallel parking, but backing into a spot. So bad I wanted to hide in the passenger seat. Lol. It’s like an old person trying to park. I think even parallel is like that too. I will never buy a car and put options on it for this crap. Ridiculous… I’ll bang out a parallel park or normal park job faster than this shit. It’s a fun gimmick sometimes, but that’s about it. My friend loves his S, but I just don’t know why. At least the dash is laid out like a proper car and not like the 3 and other Teslas, but I can’t stand that yoke wheels. ��
Your problem is you were in a Plaid for...how long? The system is good..until it's not. On a test drive or just borrowing the car, you might not notice things. You drive the car every day for 4 years, you uncover all the warts.

Also, radar vs. camera is for distance control, not lane keeping. Lane keeping was always done by camera, from day one. Even in the early S's days when they used Mobileye.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 01:16 PM   #21
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Plus, the BMW requires less input pressure on the wheel than my Model 3.
The G80 uses a capacitive wheel, so it knows you're holding it. That junk torque sensor that Tesla uses to determine you're there is better at getting fooled by someone strapping an arm weight to it than knowing you're over here ripping down on the wheel to let it know you're still alive. I can't even remember the amount of times I had to tug so hard on the wheel to get the alert to shut up that I tugged right past "shut the alert off" to "cancel the system". Total garbage. The capacitive wheel that BMW and many others use is a much better system for driver monitoring.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 01:44 PM   #22
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Your problem is you were in a Plaid for...how long? The system is good..until it's not. On a test drive or just borrowing the car, you might not notice things. You drive the car every day for 4 years, you uncover all the warts.

Also, radar vs. camera is for distance control, not lane keeping. Lane keeping was always done by camera, from day one. Even in the early S's days when they used Mobileye.
Hey, you don’t have to defend yourself on the Tesla gripes. I’m by no means a fan of anything Tesla and never will be. I like the company from the standpoint that they actually pushed the industry in the same way Apple pushed the smartphone market when the iPhone came out, but that’s about it. The cars lack fit and finish for their cost in my opinion and that holds true even for the S. At least the Plaid S looks a little better due to the wider finders and stance, without that it wouldn’t have much going for it visually.
Appreciate 0