BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-03-2023, 04:53 PM   #45
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 m3c

Quote:
Originally Posted by figuec56 View Post
@playswcars

The Final results
Did you also have a fidgety idle along with this issue? The RPM needle moving around lightly, regardless of state of the engine full warm etc?

I have so far had twice the long crank when hot, and once slight stumble on cold start, that's over 1500 miles and 3 weeks time.
So I may have this issue but also maybe it's something else.

My battery is at 12.88V rest voltage which for LIIon battery means its almost dead so thinking that could be the reason.
The car was not charged in showroom and delivered with low battery warning...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 11:11 AM   #46
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnrox250 View Post
Thanks! They have had it two weeks tomorrow. They say they are awaiting the injector to arrive. Can’t check status of car on the app, won’t refresh. Last update was 1/4. I hope it arrives soon. I imagine the work has been approved if the injector was ordered.
Did your issue ever get resolved, and what was done and how it was diagnosed?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 11:17 AM   #47
Vinnrox250
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3Cx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
Did your issue ever get resolved, and what was done and how it was diagnosed?
It was resolved. They replaced cylinder 5 injector that was leaking.
Cylinder can vary, but this is most likely your issue.

Last edited by Vinnrox250; 04-10-2023 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 11:31 AM   #48
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It was resolved. They replaced cylinder 5 injector that was leaking.
I’ve attached the service notes. Hopefully it helps. Cylinder can vary, but this is most likely your issue.
Interesting - mine never actually stalls, yet.. just stumbles a split second and then runs fine. And didn't notice strong fuel smell. And long-cranks when hot, occasionally.
Maybe it's just going to get worse, the car is brand new. How many miles you had on yours?

Also, did you have an unstable idle and did this fix it?

Got an appointment in two weeks to investigate it all. Still faint hope that my issue is more because of a weak battery (12.8V rest voltage is almost dead for a Lithium)...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 11:35 AM   #49
Vinnrox250
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting - mine never actually stalls, yet.. just stumbles a split second and then runs fine. And didn't notice strong fuel smell. And long-cranks when hot, occasionally.
Maybe it's just going to get worse, the car is brand new. How many miles you had on yours?

Also, did you have an unstable idle and did this fix it?

Got an appointment in two weeks to investigate it all. Still faint hope that my issue is more because of a weak battery (12.8V rest voltage is almost dead for a Lithium)...
Mine was brand new. Couple hundred miles. It stalled once. Rest was just a slow crank. It did have an unstable idle. Then leveled out.
I doubt it’s battery. A few have had this issue and this seems to be the resolution.

Good luck! Didn’t cause any damage or anything. Just annoying inconvenience. But has been solid ever since!
      04-04-2023, 12:02 PM   #50
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Mine was brand new. Couple hundred miles. It stalled once. Rest was just a slow crank. It did have an unstable idle. Then leveled out.
I doubt it’s battery. A few have had this issue and this seems to be the resolution.

Good luck! Didn’t cause any damage or anything. Just annoying inconvenience. But has been solid ever since!
Thanks - very helpful , I sent your repair report to my SA and told them to prepare to remove spark plugs as the quickest way to diagnose this.

I still hate the thought that this crap is happening to us, whereas you're buying a brand new premium product and then immediately have to have its guts ripped apart..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 10:03 AM   #51
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Picked up my G80 recently. 400 miles or so on it now, and I’ve experienced the long start up 2-3 times now. Notice a strong fuel smell when it happens. Also noticed it occurring after the vehicle is at temp, parked, and started again within an hour.

Have we figured out this is caused by faulty fuel injector/spark plugs?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 11:48 AM   #52
Vinnrox250
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneartistry View Post
Picked up my G80 recently. 400 miles or so on it now, and I’ve experienced the long start up 2-3 times now. Notice a strong fuel smell when it happens. Also noticed it occurring after the vehicle is at temp, parked, and started again within an hour.

See my post above. Couple other guys had the same issue. The injector varies, but that seems to be the cause.
      04-05-2023, 11:57 AM   #53
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
See my post above. Couple other guys had the same issue. The injector varies, but that seems to be the cause.
Got it. Will have the shop look at it when I take it in for the 1200 mile break in.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 03:43 PM   #54
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Can you confirm that you also have rough idle, even when fully warm - the needle moving slightly all the time?

And can you please check your resting battery voltage (engine off)?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 04:13 PM   #55
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Can you confirm that you also have rough idle, even when fully warm - the needle moving slightly all the time?

And can you please check your resting battery voltage (engine off)?
I have no way of checking my battery voltage, but I have noticed my rpm rattling in general. I thought the rpm rattled more so when the engine was cold, but I’ll keep a closer eye and make a mental note when it’s most noticeable.

One other thing I’ve notice is sometimes (rarely) an engine stutter when I put the vehicle in neutral. For example, I’m in 3rd, come up to a stop, go into neutral as I’m slowing down, and the vehicle rpm seems to drop just a hair too much making me think the engine is going to stall.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 04:18 PM   #56
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

My break in service appointment is scheduled for May 1. Think I should take it in before then for it to be looked at or is it fine until May 1?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 04:51 PM   #57
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My break in service appointment is scheduled for May 1. Think I should take it in before then for it to be looked at or is it fine until May 1?
It's super simple if you have any type of voltmeter, just use the plus and ground points under the hood to check the voltage.

So I understand yours is manual, and yes that stutter may be part of the issue.
I really don't know how urgent this is, I am scheduled for 17th and they reserved three days to investigate this thoroughly.
In the meantime, just trying to enjoy the car, don't think it's a problem to wait until 1 May for you as well.

On a general note, if just in a matter of a couple of days, we have at least 4-5 cases exactly same symptoms just here on this board, isn't it damn alarming ?
I bet there's like dozens of g8x owners who also have these symptoms but simply don't care or aren't tech savvy enough to note this is a strange thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 05:42 AM   #58
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, now I am officially in the club: This morning, the engine stalled at cold start.
It's the most surreal feeling to experience this with a brand new premium car. Absolutely outrageous.

I wrote the service at the dealership to order spark plugs and injectors already, in anticipation of my appointment. Hoping he does that so the car is quickly in and out.

This has got to be the same issue as all of you are having..I mean, what else..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 03:36 PM   #59
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well, now I am officially in the club: This morning, the engine stalled at cold start.
It's the most surreal feeling to experience this with a brand new premium car. Absolutely outrageous.

I wrote the service at the dealership to order spark plugs and injectors already, in anticipation of my appointment. Hoping he does that so the car is quickly in and out.

This has got to be the same issue as all of you are having..I mean, what else..
I have my appointment scheduled for April 12. Anyone know how long I should plan on the dealership having my vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 03:51 PM   #60
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

How long did your service appointment take? Did they have the parts on hand or have to order?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 04:44 PM   #61
Vinnrox250
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How long did your service appointment take? Did they have the parts on hand or have to order?
They had to order. Was a like 2-3 weeks and was suppose to be more cause the injectors were back ordered from Germany. Luckily they got them in around 3 week mark.
      04-08-2023, 05:17 PM   #62
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have my appointment scheduled for April 12. Anyone know how long I should plan on the dealership having my vehicle?
There is zero reason for them to keep your car while waiting for parts, they should order parts then take the car in, seeing as it's a known issue.
The car is perfectly driveable and I just spent 3 amazing days at Nürburgring throwing it around the track, it performs amazingly.

I will not tolerate my sitting there longer than a few days, doing nothing but waiting for totally generic parts which won't hurt them to have in stock anyway for many reasons.

If I were you I would reschedule and have them order the parts in the meanwhile.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 07:32 PM   #63
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
There is zero reason for them to keep your car while waiting for parts, they should order parts then take the car in, seeing as it's a known issue.
The car is perfectly driveable and I just spent 3 amazing days at Nürburgring throwing it around the track, it performs amazingly.

I will not tolerate my sitting there longer than a few days, doing nothing but waiting for totally generic parts which won't hurt them to have in stock anyway for many reasons.

If I were you I would reschedule and have them order the parts in the meanwhile.
Got it. Do you think they’ll order the parts without diagnosing the vehicle in person first? I have a feeling they won’t. I also can’t get a hold of the service department at my dealership which is infuriating. I get transferred to a call center. When I do finally get transferred to service from the receptionist, the call always drops.

What parts should I ask for them to order? Fuel injector and spark plug? Should they just replace one or all six? Should it be fairly easy for them to diagnose?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 06:06 AM   #64
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Got it. Do you think they’ll order the parts without diagnosing the vehicle in person first? I have a feeling they won’t. I also can’t get a hold of the service department at my dealership which is infuriating. I get transferred to a call center. When I do finally get transferred to service from the receptionist, the call always drops.

What parts should I ask for them to order? Fuel injector and spark plug? Should they just replace one or all six? Should it be fairly easy for them to diagnose?
You bought a premium performance car from them, you should have the service advisor on speed dial.
Make a huge fuss about it, copy the sales and say that you basically bought a product that's defective from factory and you spent your valuable time providing them the diagnose, so this needs to be fixed yesterday.

I have my service advisor's e-mail and direct phone line, and he's updating me every other day, and also asking me to provide all the information I gathered so far from this board. No doubt they should prefer to order a few spark plugs and injectors and keep them just in case - even if they don't need them - this is certainly less overhead than having the car take up space in the workshop and providing you with a replacement car for weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 07:33 AM   #65
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You bought a premium performance car from them, you should have the service advisor on speed dial.
Make a huge fuss about it, copy the sales and say that you basically bought a product that's defective from factory and you spent your valuable time providing them the diagnose, so this needs to be fixed yesterday.

I have my service advisor's e-mail and direct phone line, and he's updating me every other day, and also asking me to provide all the information I gathered so far from this board. No doubt they should prefer to order a few spark plugs and injectors and keep them just in case - even if they don't need them - this is certainly less overhead than having the car take up space in the workshop and providing you with a replacement car for weeks.
Unfortunately I bought the vehicle from a dealership about two hours away. My local dealership isn’t the greatest. Will get the service manager’s direct line though when I’m there.

Listen to this, they won’t offer my a loaner vehicle. Haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 02:48 PM   #66
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately I bought the vehicle from a dealership about two hours away. My local dealership isn’t the greatest. Will get the service manager’s direct line though when I’m there.

Listen to this, they won’t offer my a loaner vehicle. Haha.
You definitely need to go to another dealer. This doesn't sound like a place you would want to work on an M car.
Appreciate 0