BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-31-2022, 08:29 AM   #23
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

I'm not able to see the point with M3/M4 with Xdrive for snow use…
If you use summer tires for rest of the seasons to get best performance/M experience then you'd have to put all season or winter tires for snow use..
Summer tires would not work in the snow even with Xdrive…
So if you have to have 2 sets of tires/wheels, then might as well have RWD…
I do see the point of Xdrive for better performance and faster lap times though…

Just my opinion…
Appreciate 4
      01-31-2022, 09:29 AM   #24
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition (G82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
If you use summer tires for rest of the seasons to get best performance/M experience then you'd have to put all season or winter tires for snow use..
I do see the point of Xdrive for better performance and faster lap times though…

Just my opinion…
Well, it depends. Here in europe, almost anyone has 2 sets of tires. All seasons are like real crap if you drive them on snow, so we go with real winter tires. And in summer you want, well, summer tires.
And the xDrive makes a huge difference in the snow.
Appreciate 1
Hedoniste3834.00
      01-31-2022, 10:07 AM   #25
tahoebimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebor View Post
Quote:

Just my opinion…
Well, it depends. Here in europe, almost anyone has 2 sets of tires. All seasons are like real crap if you drive them on snow, so we go with real winter tires. And in summer you want, well, summer tires.
And the xDrive makes a huge difference in the snow.
Same where I live in Tahoe, but there is one more reason to get xDrive which is that the chain control checks require chains if you don't have 4W/AWD. 2WD with snow tires won't get you over the passes in California unless it's a rare R1 control.

Note that using certain summer tires with chains can damage them. They get brittle and can crack below 20F.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 03:24 PM   #26
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystone View Post
I get the impression that wagons are cool because theyre daddy cool or something?!

No younger person without a family or without a need for luggage space is gonna buy one right?? and usually the only people earning enough $ to buy a fast Wagon are older often near middle-aged people (usually guys) who only option is a fast wagon because of family commitments. So its kinda created this daddy cool image for wagons like the RS4/RS6 etc.

Often men who have mancaves, garages, cellars of man stuff, tools etc.....see a fast wagon as the ultimate do everything cool on wheels motor. Gives them a kinda street cred knowing that they can mix it with most cars outhere while transporting the kids and theyre all their stuff.

I wouldnt personally.
Haha I am no daddy, I also sadly couldn't afford a mancave/garage/cellar, but I guess maybe I'm middle-aged (SAD) at 34. I love wagons because I don't like the high seating position of SUVs but want the space that it affords (esp. given can fit dog with 4/5 humans). I also happen to think they look really cool but that's subjective. My F80 wouldn't have fit all this stuff + the passengers on a recent trip!
Attached Images

2023 F56 MINI Cooper SE Midnight Black II on Carbon Black
2021 C8 Audi RS6 Avant Mythos Black on Black/Grey
2016 F80 BMW M3 Black Sapphire Metallic on Silverstone
Appreciate 3
FreeDarko217.00
aaaaah354.00
      01-31-2022, 04:39 PM   #27
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

I drove an xdrive and yes the performance is bonkers, especially 0-100.

I for myself wouldn't opt for it. I know the negatives are very low compared to the rwd, but the rwd just gives a better corner feeling imo.
it can be totally subjective I know, but it is what I feel and that's important to me.

And I know all the ++ xdrive offers, it's just not my cup of tea as i'm never in really snowy regions and the winter tyres do their work perfectly fine for my usage.

*edit*
also joe acts like in britain you have like always slippery conditions which is just not true...yeah lots of rain, but this car still offers plenty of grip on normal streets with RWD. I never had any issues at all.
I really sometimes ask myself how the hell people drive...do they only know full or no throttle ?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:02 PM   #28
t$
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoebimmer View Post
Same where I live in Tahoe, but there is one more reason to get xDrive which is that the chain control checks require chains if you don't have 4W/AWD. 2WD with snow tires won't get you over the passes in California unless it's a rare R1 control.

Note that using certain summer tires with chains can damage them. They get brittle and can crack below 20F.
i was gonna say the same thing but you beat me to it . seems to mostly be a california thing tho, maybe utah/colorado as well? ive always assumed it was bc theres no way to regulate tires well enough here where so few people actually have dedicated winters that the safer option is to require 4wd and atleast all seasons. maybe it also has to do with steep inclines driving into the mountains on 2 lane roads? I guess thats different than driving around town. Always been kinda curious how rwd + snow tires would actually compare tho.

i also personally think wagons are cool (even long before i was a dad) but... i couldnt convince my wife to get one instead of a crossover as her car / the family hauler.

Past - 16 328i 6MT, 08 328xi 6MT, 01 323i 5MT
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:20 PM   #29
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
I think when the Touring comes out, it will be the one most in demand.
Ive no doubt that youll be right and it'll be the one that will hold its value pretty well too.
Appreciate 1
mofomat791.50
      01-31-2022, 10:26 PM   #30
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
I can see that if it's your only car but id keep the M3 and get a Used MDX A Spec for family duties. Those look great blacked out but I'm sure this move will be for more content. YouTubers need to keep buying different cars to keep the money coming
Absolutely they do. Theyve gotta keep ontop of their game. It will be really interesting to see how these ICE based YT channels will adapt over the next 5-10yrs as EVs start being the norm.

Tbh, itll be interesting to see how EVs will shape up too over same period too.

Are we literally driving the last M3/M4s ?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:36 PM   #31
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duky View Post
Haha I am no daddy, I also sadly couldn't afford a mancave/garage/cellar, but I guess maybe I'm middle-aged (SAD) at 34. I love wagons because I don't like the high seating position of SUVs but want the space that it affords (esp. given can fit dog with 4/5 humans). I also happen to think they look really cool but that's subjective. My F80 wouldn't have fit all this stuff + the passengers on a recent trip!
Well youre the exception to my rule

My fav wagon (or Estate as we call'em in the UK) is the 3 series its a great looker. Id love 330 or 340 xdrive wagon i guess i just cant compute an M wagon but then thats the beauty of differing tastes and TG we're not all the same.

Last edited by Sunnystone; 01-31-2022 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:56 PM   #32
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
I drove an xdrive and yes the performance is bonkers, especially 0-100.

I for myself wouldn't opt for it. I know the negatives are very low compared to the rwd, but the rwd just gives a better corner feeling imo.
it can be totally subjective I know, but it is what I feel and that's important to me.

And I know all the ++ xdrive offers, it's just not my cup of tea as i'm never in really snowy regions and the winter tyres do their work perfectly fine for my usage.

*edit*
also joe acts like in britain you have like always slippery conditions which is just not true...yeah lots of rain, but this car still offers plenty of grip on normal streets with RWD. I never had any issues at all.
I really sometimes ask myself how the hell people drive...do they only know full or no throttle ?
I agree with some of this.

Im in the UK with a relatively new M3C RWD and have zero issues with traction. You quickly learn how to use the accelerator to manage it.

However I dont drive mine like Joe. I dont do track days and nor do I require the alignment of my M3 to be 'improved' on my near £90k motor. But i guess its different for owners who want that extra performance for more of the time in more situations. So xdrive it is. I do find it hard to argue against AWD. Its all the perks and no drawbacks but Im fine without it as I dont need the extra performance as my M3C is more than fast enough and capable for my driving skills and enjoyment.

If ordering again then i would tick the xdrive box.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:59 PM   #33
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
See? He's not a BMW fanboy! 12:10 in. 😜
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 08:47 AM   #34
init
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi RS3 2018

Quote:

Just my opinion…

I guess it really depends on the definition of snow, and cold. With a good set of winter tires, I could totally see someone driving a rear wheel drive car with no issues at 20F.

However, if you live in an area where all weather tires are illegal in winter due to cold, and where -4F is pretty much the average temperature between january and march, any bit of traction you can get is a blessing. At these temperatures, even the best set of winter tires slips if you have tiny amount of torque. Add 3 inches of snow on top of that and xdrive start to make a lot of sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 03:17 PM   #35
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Always had the '2 car' approach. Fun car--whether M4C, Vette or Trans Am, AWD/4WD always for bad weather as I've basically lived in the snow belts 90% of my life. Has a 4WD Blazer in Houston, as with torrential rain, came in handy. Off the line, the X is great. Anything else I see no benefit. To each his own. As for wagons, I prefer the CR-V compact SUV for several reasons, but nothing wrong for the 'weather' car. Always liked the Outback which is a wagon to me. And would not mind having an RS6...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 06:34 AM   #36
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

Quote:
Originally Posted by init View Post
I guess it really depends on the definition of snow, and cold. With a good set of winter tires, I could totally see someone driving a rear wheel drive car with no issues at 20F.

However, if you live in an area where all weather tires are illegal in winter due to cold, and where -4F is pretty much the average temperature between january and march, any bit of traction you can get is a blessing. At these temperatures, even the best set of winter tires slips if you have tiny amount of torque. Add 3 inches of snow on top of that and xdrive start to make a lot of sense.
Did the RWD/6MT thing for three years where winter is often single digit Fahrenheit (before wind chill) and gets 90" of snow a season. No issues at all, you just need full winter tyres, not performance winter tyres. If there were lots of hills/mountains it may be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
*edit*
Yeah they are called automatic transmission drivers. Full throttle to the next traffic light to slam on the brakes.

I kid, I kid.... (mostly).
Appreciate 0