BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

03-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #309
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

What is the reason for the bonnet line out of interest? I know it’s something to do with pedestrian standards, but I fail to see what a line across the front does to make it more or less safe if you hit someone?

Instagram c1_cdg
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 01:12 PM   #310
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
What is the reason for the bonnet line out of interest? I know it's something to do with pedestrian standards, but I fail to see what a line across the front does to make it more or less safe if you hit someone?
Not only, bit mainly it is because of material exposed to first contact if you would hit a pedestrain.

By making the hood shorter you have more softer materials on the front and more crash structure that is bending already on low force impact and therefore absorbing a lot of energy before you hit the steel...which makes it safer for pedestrians
Appreciate 1
Colinv64012.00
      03-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #311
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Here’s a bet, what if the M3 is going to come in two different forms, the base “Pure” editions will retain the G20’s design, with M bumpers and subtle differences. The CS model, the upper end M3 selections will be what we see here with the drastic design change. Reason for doing this? Create an option between the M340i and M3 CS, priced just far enough apart so that production costs can be justified for M3 CS, by making it more expensive than any M3 to date.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #312
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
Here’s a bet, what if the M3 is going to come in two different forms, the base “Pure” editions will retain the G20’s design, with M bumpers and subtle differences. The CS model, the upper end M3 selections will be what we see here with the drastic design change. Reason for doing this? Create an option between the M340i and M3 CS, priced just far enough apart so that production costs can be justified for M3 CS, by making it more expensive than any M3 to date.
That's a bit of a reach. The large grills are happening regardless of how controversial it is.
      03-08-2020, 03:42 PM   #313
MrMarioG
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

Modified Rendering

Hi Folks,

I've tried to change the renders a little bit, based on the sightings.

@Zer.O.WT:
I hope it's ok. I've left your Name on the rendering
Attached Images

JTO245246.50
khanyam4801.50
      03-08-2020, 03:44 PM   #314
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
That's a bit of a reach. The large grills are happening regardless of how controversial it is.
Depressing. The last bit of hope I had.. What I’m truly confused about is why on earth they thought it was a brilliant idea to make the M3/M4 look different from the G20’s base design... BMW has been a wolf in sheep’s skin brand for the longest time and now they want to change that? The G20 has received quite positive reviews, why change it? They can just alter that, but they chose to go with a whole new design.. The dilemma.
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25051.00
Pinkoboe226.50
IM2C2065.00
seis-speed2426.00
      03-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #315
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

The only way those large grilles are going to work for me is if they are frameless.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 06:03 PM   #316
icpee
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 335i

If this awesome render is correct then this car will have presence on the road unlike any other BMW bar the latest 7 series.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #317
TruthGuY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M E92 - M - F82 M -

Quote:
Depressing. The last bit of hope I had.. What I’m truly confused about is why on earth they thought it was a brilliant idea to make the M3/M4 look different from the G20’s base design... BMW has been a wolf in sheep’s skin brand for the longest time and now they want to change that? The G20 has received quite positive reviews, why change it? They can just alter that, but they chose to go with a whole new design.. The dilemma.
Not really...I was tired of seeing Non-M's putting on black kidney grills and slapping M emblems in the back this is perfect
Appreciate 2
F85MTuNED1620.50
      03-08-2020, 08:08 PM   #318
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
What is the reason for the bonnet line out of interest? I know it's something to do with pedestrian standards, but I fail to see what a line across the front does to make it more or less safe if you hit someone?
My understanding is that the hood doesn't extend to the front so you don't have to replace the hood in a slow collision. I don't believe it has anything to do with colliding with a pedestrian.
      03-08-2020, 09:14 PM   #319
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

These renders look nothing like the actual car,the grills arent as skinny as on the real car.

It gives people a false sense of hope!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #320
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthGuY View Post
Quote:
Not really...I was tired of seeing Non-M's putting on black kidney grills and slapping M emblems in the back this is perfect
Why?

Sorry, one of the attraction of BMW M cars was that your average person didn't know any difference from a regular 3-series.

Like Chris Harris said, enthusiasts would know from a distance based on the stance and profile.

This new design is screaming looking at me and will fit it real well with badge whores looking for attention.
Appreciate 5
Pinkoboe226.50
IM2C2065.00
seis-speed2426.00
Poochie9099.00
      03-09-2020, 12:42 AM   #321
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Wolfs in sheep clothing worked with the e39 because 90% of the population didn’t know what an M5 was. Financing was different back then. You actually had to make serious money to afford a car like that. So you didn’t see many on the street.

Here in Southern California I see more M models than cars with M packages. Even a base 330i looks more aggressive than a wolf in sheep’s clothing...let alone a m340i. How do you differentiate the models if your sports package already looks like an M3?

BMW hasn’t been the wolf in sheep’s clothing company for awhile. The M division is headed down the road of what Mercedes did with their new AMG split brand.
Appreciate 3
JTO245246.50
solstice5456.50
GerryM5249.50
      03-09-2020, 01:40 AM   #322
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaan View Post
Not only, bit mainly it is because of material exposed to first contact if you would hit a pedestrain.

By making the hood shorter you have more softer materials on the front and more crash structure that is bending already on low force impact and therefore absorbing a lot of energy before you hit the steel...which makes it safer for pedestrians
Let me tell you that THE HOOD LINE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PEDESTRIAN RULES.
You never wonder why vehicles on the same class don’t have it? Or you believe that they are not pedestrian safety aproved?

Many models, including BMW, have no hood line. There is also nothing of such sort like softer materials, as at the time of impact a plastic can do same damage to a pedestrian. It is irrelevant.
And if you take the logic into consideration then your explanation is futile as bigger cars has no hood line hence metal hoods all the way.
Also, AUDI, VW und others are under the same set of pedestrian regulations and their line-less design is as pedestrian safe and TUV approved as they can be. BMW is not more pedestrian safe than others. And peestrian rules involve a bunch of things that can be addressed in different ways and do not resume to materials only.

Stop buying this bullcrap from BMW employees that wander around this forum.
I have visited many car factories and worked in the auto industry field to know what is going on.

The hood line is because the new bumper style lowers the costs by coming installed with everything on it from other cheaper countries where many components are preinstalled. Without the hood line there is more labor involved and the profits are lower. In a bigger front bumper there is a different structural assembly (existing top structure) and everything comes pre-installed including headlamps that are time consuming if they need to be pre-installed separately. Because BMW became the Marketing company, we have a hood line. All FWD, new UKL platform, no true xDrive, hood line, etc, is all about getting more profits with less customization or less labour.

See minute 12:20 in the video:

The new 3 is hoodline free and you can see that the headlamp assembly is installed separately prior to the bumper. See minute 25:30:

It is all about time, speed, which translates in cost. There is a certain calculation and if they can be in that number and other assemblies are faster they can keep the design. If not, screw the design.
Thats why

Last edited by Teutonic; 03-09-2020 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 6
_robert_108.50
stein_325i25051.00
bobloblaw745.00
pyrat15194.50
      03-09-2020, 02:58 AM   #323
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
You never wonder why vehicles on the same class don’t have it? Or you believe that they are not pedestrian safety aproved?

Many models, including BMW, have no hood line. There is also nothing of such sort like softer materials, as at the time of impact a plastic can do same damage to a pedestrian. It is irrelevant.
And if you take the logic into consideration then your explanation is futile as bigger cars has no hood line hence metal hoods all the way.
Also, AUDI, VW und others are under the same set of pedestrian regulations and their line-less design is as pedestrian safe and TUV approved as they can be. BMW is not more pedestrian safe than others. And peestrian rules involve a bunch of things that can be addressed in different ways and do not resume to materials only.

I have visited many car factories and worked in the auto industry field to know what is going on.

The hood line is because the new bumper style lowers the costs by coming installed with everything on it from other cheaper countries where many components are preinstalled. Without the hood line there is more labor involved and the profits are lower. In a bigger front bumper there is a different structural assembly (existing top structure) and everything comes pre-installed including headlamps that are time consuming if they need to be pre-installed separately. Because BMW became the Marketing company, we have a hood line. All FWD, new UKL platform, no true xDrive, hood line, etc, is all about getting more profits with less customization or less labour.

See minute 12:20 in the video:

The new 3 is hoodline free and you can see that the headlamp assembly is installed separately prior to the bumper. See minute 25:30:

It is all about time, speed, which translates in cost. There is a certain calculation and if they can be in that number and other assemblies are faster they can keep the design. If not, screw the design.
Thats why
Great post, and makes it more annoying. More so when they keep dangling the carrot with their concepts which feature no hood line

Instagram c1_cdg
Appreciate 1
pyrat15194.50
      03-09-2020, 05:21 AM   #324
Fhey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Garage List
2023 BMW M440i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post

The new 3 is hoodline free and you can see that the headlamp assembly is installed separately prior to the bumper.

Thats why
I do wonder why they manage to do it for the 3 series then, and not the 4 series. I mean, I believe you, but I wonder why they'd choose to go with the less profitable setup on the car that is (potentially) going to be selling more than the 4 series.

Last edited by Fhey; 03-09-2020 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 1
pyrat15194.50
      03-09-2020, 07:24 AM   #325
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhey View Post
I do wonder why they manage to do it for the 3 series then, and not the 4 series. I mean, I believe you, but I wonder why they'd choose to go with the less profitable setup on the care that is (potentially) going to be selling more than the 4 series.
Exactly, if the reason is only cost savings, then why do it on certain models and on others not? The F30 had a hood line, the successor (G20) doesn't, while the G22 is going to have one. The F10 had a hood line, but the successor (G30) doesn't. And interestingly, if I remember correctly, the SUVs (X3 and above) never had hood lines.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #326
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

@Tracus
Nice theory ...
And how is the paint job done then? If you say, it is for cost savings, than this means at some other location the correct bumper, M paket or normal with the correct headlamp configuration (LED or not) AND the correct painting is done and then shipped in-time ... and yes - the paint done in a totally different location then magically matches the paint hue of the rest of the car done in a complete different paint shop ... wow ... magic going on here.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #327
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
G20 is a bland car visually, although the M340i is "ok" to me. The idea of making an M3 look different to NOT just the discerning eye appeals to me greatly.
Appreciate 3
JTO245246.50
solstice5456.50
khanyam4801.50
      03-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #328
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthGuY View Post
Being in the NYC area (i drive the car in and out of Brooklyn each day), I completely agree. More "fake M's" than real M's in our area.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 09:29 AM   #329
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
You know when journalists are starting to comment on the ADD design choices of BMW that we have an actual problem.

At least this new car is definitely recognizable--well, from the front. It's hideous enough to be impossible to mistake. The rear is just every new car, maybe more Lexus.
I remember people complaining that the f80 was over-styled (word labia was thrown around a lot) when that was released, I bet people will eventually come around on this as well
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
      03-09-2020, 09:32 AM   #330
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato2084 View Post
I was recently in Munich doing some test drives and the Concept 4 at BMW Welt looks flat out amazing in person! I'm still getting used to the large grille and its shape, but I think blacked out it will look spectacular. I'm starting to come aboard.
BMW went from understated to overstated and overblown. Sad.